News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Games against West Ham and Southampton... Our last chance ?

Started by Steeeeeeeeeed, February 14, 2019, 09:24:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steeeeeeeeeed

We have a nightmare in March, and I do believe we are 90% relegated now.

BUT

If we beat West Ham, and beat Southampton (assuming they lose away to a fired up Arsenal) we are only one point behind Southampton.

We also still have to play Cardiff again, and again that will be a must win game, but only if we win the next two games.

Next two games are our last chance I reckon.

Jimsbeerbelly

But..

If we beat West Ham at Home, Leicester, Wolves, Bournemouth, Palace away, Cardiff, Huddersfield

Let it go son, take an early holiday, ain't going to happen

Denver Fulham

To get to 36 points, we have to ...

Win at West Ham
Win at Southampton
Beat Cardiff at home
Beat Newcastle at home
Get two points from the March death march
AND find five points from Everton at home and at Watford, Bournemouth and Wolves.

That's not happening. And 36 might not be enough, especially with our GD problem.

You're never 100% down until you're mathematically eliminated, but it's almost impossible to see us rescuing this.

Penfold

Going to West Ham to say I've seen the first XI there. Watched the U23 side there a couple of years ago. A win there and at Southampton and you'd argue that we are in with a shout. But then you look at the squad and say relegation is when it's confirmed rather than if.

Jem

How often do we get anything from west ham? They have been a thorn in my side since I watched them thump us 7-2 at Upton park.
"When you're in jail, a good friend will be trying to bail you out. A best friend will be in the cell next to you saying, 'Damn, that was fun'."
― Groucho Marx

Fulham76

Quote from: Jem on February 14, 2019, 09:58:23 PM
How often do we get anything from west ham? They have been a thorn in my side since I watched them thump us 7-2 at Upton park.

The only time I remember us winning at their place was in our first season in the premier league, 0-2.

I don't remember any other positive results against West Ham during the last 18 years.

filham

Stop clutching at straws, we haven't won away all season and haven't scored a goal in the last two games.

Sting of the North

Quote from: filham on February 14, 2019, 10:15:04 PM
Stop clutching at straws, we haven't won away all season and haven't scored a goal in the last two games.

Does that mean that we will never win away again, and that we will never score again? Or you could argue that we are due an away win now? Guess you are not a glass half full kind of person.

Also, why not clutch at straws, what is so bad about that. What great alternatives do we have currently? Would you be happier if everyone just kept repeating that we are doomed and that everything sucks?

Woolly Mammoth

I get no pleasure out of saying this, but I refuse to delude myself into believing in another attempt to create a great escape. We are not anywhere near good enough no matter who is the Manager, some may do better than others, but nobody can save us. It's far too late. We needed a good start to the new year, but we got the opposite because as our dire performances and dire results have proven, we are not anywhere near good enough. Any team can beat us, we are doom ed.
We are a poor team, no excuses, it should never have come to this.
But that's what happens when the club is placed in the wrong hands.
Would you let a dog watch your food, no of course not.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Rock

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 15, 2019, 12:41:45 AM
I get no pleasure out of saying this, but I refuse to delude myself into believing in another attempt to create a great escape. We are not anywhere near good enough no matter who is the Manager, some may do better than others, but nobody can save us. It's far too late. We needed a good start to the new year, but we got the opposite because as our dire performances and dire results have proven, we are not anywhere near good enough. Any team can beat us, we are doom ed.
We are a poor team, no excuses, it should never have come to this.
But that's what happens when the club is placed in the wrong hands.
Would you let a dog watch your food, no of course not.

Good post Mr. Beast. Agreed.

RaySmith

I saw that game , Jem, if it's the one in the early 60's - Tony Macedo kept the score down!

Since then I have seen us win at Upton Park - in the Second Division in about the late 70's, and in the Cup, early 2000's - Macbride scored.

I'm going next Friday - hoping for the best, which will make me think we're in with a chance of staying up, deluded as that may be, and fearing the worst.

Maybe Nord and Mawson , if back, will strengthen our defence.

Lordedmundo

I just hope that we put up more of a fight than we have been. I'm not expecting us to play like we did against Brighton in the second half - but at least we need to close the opposition down, get some crosses in and have goal attempts on target in both halves of every game.

For me - the must wins are against Southampton, Cardiff and Newcastle.  Then win 3 from West Ham, Leicester, Watford and Everton.  If we miraculously do that then it would (only!) need us leaving 3-4 points from Liverpool, Man City, Bournemouth and Wolves.

Twig

We are down, end of. Let's just hope we see one or two performances that we can enjoy and perhaps even be proud of, before the season end.

bill taylors apprentice

Not a chance!
I gave up looking at the league table & fixture list sometime last year!

Spirit of 2000

No fight + failure to address defensive quality issue in both windows + uninspired manager causing more internal issues and playing awful football with little to no idea = we are well and truly down and wont get anything but smashed at WHU

toshes mate

I say, with a lot of sadness, that 'our last chance' happened many moons ago, probably around 5th August 2018.  Had we taken our chances after 26th May 2018 we would not be having this discussion, period.

I am a die hard optimist especially when it comes to FFC.  I do not always like what the Club does but I'll always look forward to being proven wrong whenever I get that disheartened feeling in my mind, body and spirit.  It always takes me a while to readjust to the mistakes I feel the Club makes, just as it takes me a while to get my breath back when I watch a truly great display of football from 'The Team'.  But I'll always get up after a blow and promise myself to do better the next time.

The problem of FFC 2018/19 has been one of fritterring good fortune away as if it should never have landed anywhere near Craven Cottage.  We could have done so much differently.  We could have key treated people so much better.   We could have changed what needed to be changed.   We could have recognised the faults of the past and acknowledged the reasons why 2017/18 was such a momentous turnaround in fortune for our dear old club.  But we did neither.  It was all treated far too lightly, with important factors brushed aside by people who really didn't understand what it all meant at all.

I look forward to us getting three points next Friday and hope we do so the right way.  It'll give me lift but I'll also be so wary of the fact that this season so many glimpses of optimism have already been passed up by the Club because there is little or no understanding of the whys and wherefores of their happening.   We have no captain.  The ship will be tossed by the waves to wherever it is bound to end up.

filham

Quote from: Sting of the North on February 14, 2019, 10:24:42 PM
Quote from: filham on February 14, 2019, 10:15:04 PM

Does that mean that we will never win away again, and that we will never score again? Or you could argue that we are due an away win now? Guess you are not a glass half full kind of person.

Also, why not clutch at straws, what is so bad about that. What great alternatives do we have currently? Would you be happier if everyone just kept repeating that we are making repetitive replies that aren't funny!  and that everything sucks?
We may just make an away win  near the end of the season when teams are facing a mid table finish and yes we can look forward to the odd goal at the Cottage and maybe a home win or two.

But seriously Ranieri's tactics are just not working and things are going to continue in the same manner until some drastic changes are made. The only change on the horizon is relegation at the end of the season.

Tonywa

And we scored first just as we had the previous season when we lost 6-1 at the same venue.