Anguissa - Worst signing in history?

Started by Aaron, February 15, 2019, 11:56:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twig

Quote from: Skatzoffc on February 17, 2019, 07:58:04 PM
Quote from: F(f)CUK on February 16, 2019, 12:02:33 AM
You could get 2 Marlets for 1 Anguissa

Yes but they'd both be dreadful.

Anguissa has more talent in his big toe than Marlet.

Sorry but that is arrant nonsense. Marlet was a very talented and successful wide man. He was not a central striker but it wasn't his fault that the boss insisted on pursuing that strategy (I suspect because of how succcesful Wenger had been with a similar experiment).

Twig

Quote from: Two Ton Ted on February 18, 2019, 05:02:18 PM
Any thread that contains the words "Fulham FC" and "Worst Ever Signing", but does not include the words "Mark Cooper" is not taking the subject seriously enough.

How true

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Twig on February 18, 2019, 08:11:01 PM
Quote from: Two Ton Ted on February 18, 2019, 05:02:18 PM
Any thread that contains the words "Fulham FC" and "Worst Ever Signing", but does not include the words "Mark Cooper" is not taking the subject seriously enough.

How true

Any thread that contains the phase "TK worst footballing brain in history" needs to remember ex England and ex-Aston Villa manager Gregory saying "Stan Collymore is  better than Thierry Henry in virtually every department."

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: ALG01 on February 17, 2019, 11:04:46 PM

I agree. What the Marseilles fans said in very many posts and tweets was how talented the young man is but how lacking  in his ability to blend as a team player. Their posts also made much of the over inflated  price we paid and how they got the better of the deal. For me, Anguisa is a poor signing, to expensive, to unfit and to lacking in his contribution to the team.

I hope, when he is fully fit he may manage to be a bit more effective.

Good post.

It's been blatantly obvious that at the 55-60 minute mark Andre's ability drops off a cliff.    He's also not a CDM.  He's worse at it than Chambers.  Also, at best he's worth half what was paid for him.

I still feel Anguissa will come good in the Championship.   

The Rational Fan

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on February 18, 2019, 09:33:30 PM
Quote from: ALG01 on February 17, 2019, 11:04:46 PM

I agree. What the Marseilles fans said in very many posts and tweets was how talented the young man is but how lacking  in his ability to blend as a team player. Their posts also made much of the over inflated  price we paid and how they got the better of the deal. For me, Anguisa is a poor signing, to expensive, to unfit and to lacking in his contribution to the team.

I hope, when he is fully fit he may manage to be a bit more effective.

Good post.

It's been blatantly obvious that at the 55-60 minute mark Andre's ability drops off a cliff.    He's also not a CDM.  He's worse at it than Chambers.  Also, at best he's worth half what was paid for him.

I still feel Anguissa will come good in the Championship.

If rumours are correct that Thomas Kalas and Matt Targett transfer prices were getting near £20 million, who are both a little too good for the Championship, but both have struggled to get game time in the premiership. My impression is to get a DECENT Player is costing at least £20 million.

If rumours are correct, the reason we paid so much for Anguissa is Marseille didn't accept FFC earlier offers and that was partly because other teams like Southampton were bidding for him (obviously we out bid them). No doubt what FFC paid Anguissa was overpriced, but given the current market the Seri/MLM package of £30m seems about today inflated prices and Mitrovoic for £20m was an absolute bargain.

Who should FFC have bought? No use saying Anguissa is the biggest ripoff in history, unless better players were available for less. I think Anguissa is a decent Championship or Ligue 1 player, which is all I can say about Thomas Kalas too.

FulhamStu

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 18, 2019, 11:40:35 AM
Quote from: FulhamStu on February 18, 2019, 08:22:55 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 17, 2019, 11:18:06 PM
FulhamStu
How dare you say it's crap, just because you disagree. Then why be stupid enough to buy a player that cannot speak English from a different culture and has never lived in this country, and cost the Kings Ransom he has cost, how daft is that, on that basis you are the one who is talking crap.
As for you missing them dancing in the streets, were you there to say they werent.
I am being realistic, you are in denial.
You don't have to say sorry, you are entitled to your views but so am I.
The reason why there seems to be a divide on this board at times and has turned some of the threads on here a little toxic, is because of mainly one poor little rich boy.
So my advice is to vent your anger at him not little old me.
If you feel myself or many others have become more critical than yourself over the current issues at Fulham on and off the pitch, it is because we care and are passionate and hate to see Fulham in this state, I get no pleasure from it.
When somebody hangs a rat under my nose, I will smell it, and the Recruitment dudes and their leader have done exactly that.
In other words when they have peed on my back and tell me it's raining, then I know my suspicions are founded.
So relax I am not your enemy, so please do not treat me like I am.

I love your passion and know you are very devoted to our football club as many of us on here are.  I just get a bit fed up with so many, so over the top posts these days.  My term crap is not that heavy mate, I would tell you your talking crap to your face..I could say things a lot more aggressively I can assure you.

If you are so fed up with my so called over the top posts, don't read them if it upsets you, because I would not want anything I say to upset you,  and I can assure you, you would not be saying anything aggressively to my face, for a start you would need a step ladder, and the first thing you would want to do if you saw me, is cuddle me and offer to buy me a large 🍺 pint.
I shall continue to voice my opinion, whether you think it's over the top or not.
So my advice is for what it's worth is to leave it at that and remain good Fulham Supporters.

Hahaha, ...nice one, do I assume you have a beard and long hair as well.  By the way, I am quite a large gentleman, 6ft 3 but probably lack your hairy ness.     Will happily buy you a beer and may even give you a cuddle but would have needed to have drunk a few myself I suspect.

I will read you good posts as well as your not so good posts and debate with you as this is what I thought these forums were designed to do.   If we all agreed with each other all the time there would be very little point in it all.

Back to this thread, I want Anguissa to start at West Ham, I would personally try Chambers back at Central Defence hopefully alongside the new guy.   Right back I at some point would give Stephen Sess a go, maybe not This Friday but soon. I would definitely only play Mitro and Babel up top with 4 midfield players TC Seri, Frank and Ryan Sess.

Give Anguissa a few games and see what he can do, then we can start this thread all over again !

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: FulhamStu on February 19, 2019, 05:45:54 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 18, 2019, 11:40:35 AM
Quote from: FulhamStu on February 18, 2019, 08:22:55 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 17, 2019, 11:18:06 PM
FulhamStu
How dare you say it's crap, just because you disagree. Then why be stupid enough to buy a player that cannot speak English from a different culture and has never lived in this country, and cost the Kings Ransom he has cost, how daft is that, on that basis you are the one who is talking crap.
As for you missing them dancing in the streets, were you there to say they werent.
I am being realistic, you are in denial.
You don't have to say sorry, you are entitled to your views but so am I.
The reason why there seems to be a divide on this board at times and has turned some of the threads on here a little toxic, is because of mainly one poor little rich boy.
So my advice is to vent your anger at him not little old me.
If you feel myself or many others have become more critical than yourself over the current issues at Fulham on and off the pitch, it is because we care and are passionate and hate to see Fulham in this state, I get no pleasure from it.
When somebody hangs a rat under my nose, I will smell it, and the Recruitment dudes and their leader have done exactly that.
In other words when they have peed on my back and tell me it's raining, then I know my suspicions are founded.
So relax I am not your enemy, so please do not treat me like I am.

I love your passion and know you are very devoted to our football club as many of us on here are.  I just get a bit fed up with so many, so over the top posts these days.  My term crap is not that heavy mate, I would tell you your talking crap to your face..I could say things a lot more aggressively I can assure you.

If you are so fed up with my so called over the top posts, don't read them if it upsets you, because I would not want anything I say to upset you,  and I can assure you, you would not be saying anything aggressively to my face, for a start you would need a step ladder, and the first thing you would want to do if you saw me, is cuddle me and offer to buy me a large 🍺 pint.
I shall continue to voice my opinion, whether you think it's over the top or not.
So my advice is for what it's worth is to leave it at that and remain good Fulham Supporters.

Hahaha, ...nice one, do I assume you have a beard and long hair as well.  By the way, I am quite a large gentleman, 6ft 3 but probably lack your hairy ness.     Will happily buy you a beer and may even give you a cuddle but would have needed to have drunk a few myself I suspect.

I will read you good posts as well as your not so good posts and debate with you as this is what I thought these forums were designed to do.   If we all agreed with each other all the time there would be very little point in it all.

Back to this thread, I want Anguissa to start at West Ham, I would personally try Chambers back at Central Defence hopefully alongside the new guy.   Right back I at some point would give Stephen Sess a go, maybe not This Friday but soon. I would definitely only play Mitro and Babel up top with 4 midfield players TC Seri, Frank and Ryan Sess.

Give Anguissa a few games and see what he can do, then we can start this thread all over again !

Just got home from work.
Believe it or not I am clean shaven, and my hair is fairly short.
Amazingly and quite rightly I am pleased to say I agree with your team selection, of Anguissa, Seri, Cairney and Ryan in midfield, with Mitro and Babel up front.
With Chambers back alongside the new CB.
As you say Steve Sess at some stage worth a chance at RB.
Now that midfield cannot do any worse than what we have endured recently, and possibly a lot better.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

MJG

I was at a football stats event last night and part of it covered transfer fees and how much clubs pay for pkayers relative to turnover.
It transpires that irrespective of the cost its best to look at the percentage againt turnover.
The finding showed that the biggest signing for a club usually comes in at about 17%-19% of turnover. These are the figures for the star('s) of a team.
Good first team starters are usually 10-13% and squad players clearly less than that.
With our expected turnover this year in the region of £120m then our top players should be about the 24m kind of price, which as it turns out is pretty close to what we paid for at least two of the players.

I'll check back but will be interesting to see how much some of our larger signings were in the past.
Just the views of a long term fan

The Rational Fan

Quote from: MJG on February 19, 2019, 06:50:17 AM
I was at a football stats event last night and part of it covered transfer fees and how much clubs pay for pkayers relative to turnover.
It transpires that irrespective of the cost its best to look at the percentage againt turnover.
The finding showed that the biggest signing for a club usually comes in at about 17%-19% of turnover. These are the figures for the star('s) of a team.
Good first team starters are usually 10-13% and squad players clearly less than that.
With our expected turnover this year in the region of £120m then our top players should be about the 24m kind of price, which as it turns out is pretty close to what we paid for at least two of the players.

I'll check back but will be interesting to see how much some of our larger signings were in the past.

This is the kind of stuff, i would love to know what percentage subs should be priced at. I suspect we didn't spend enough of subs and squad size.

MJG

Quote from: The Rational Fan on February 19, 2019, 11:07:31 AM

This is the kind of stuff, i would love to know what percentage subs should be priced at. I suspect we didn't spend enough of subs and squad size.
about 3-4% on those type of players who are 9/10/11 on the team sheet.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: MJG on February 19, 2019, 11:16:02 AM

So a Premier League Starting XI should cost about £180 million, well that's interesting cause lasts weeks starting XI against man uts only cost 120 million. It seems we need a more investment in the squad.

If first teamers should be 10% then we only have nine of those (Rico, Mawson, Chambers. Anguiissa, Seri, Cairney, Schullre, Mitrovoic and Sessegnon).

If second teamers should be 3% then we only have nine of those (Fabri, TFM, Norveidt, MLM, Bryan, McDonald, Markovic, Vietto, Babel)

If third teamers should be 1% then we only have ten of those (Betts, Christie, Odoi, Ream, Cisse, Johasen, Kebano, Kamara, Forte and Atyie)

Useful we need a £15m right back, centre back and left back; plus a £5m Stiker and a £2n left back

MJG

Quote from: The Rational Fan on February 19, 2019, 12:25:30 PM
Quote from: MJG on February 19, 2019, 11:16:02 AM

So a Premier League Starting XI should cost about £180 million, well that's interesting cause lasts weeks starting XI against man uts only cost 120 million. It seems we need a more investment in the squad.
Well i've not looked into like that, but you can on Transfermarket look at what they value a lineup, so lets take Wolves vs newcastle and you have value wise £147M Vs £81M

Ourselves vs Man Utd comes in at £111M vs £408M

Squad values for these four teams are:
Wolves 200M
Newcastle 171M
Fulham 228M
Man Utd 683M

MJG

list of each clubs highest value lineup this season

FulhamStu

Quote from: MJG on February 19, 2019, 12:41:11 PM

This is very interesting.   I would add another important statistic and that is how many times, these players have played together.  I think if we had our current squad, with key players like Mawson fit, we would be around 13-15th in the league.  Sort of a bit better than Palace.  I think we just had too much to do and not enough time in which to do it, which is the biggest lessons learned for me from our promotion.  Too many loans plus Fred to replace, plus our regular dependables like KMac and StefJo add Ream and a few others, really not good enough.  In other words, we required a completely new team and that just gives you an impossible challenge in one close season.

MJG

Quote from: FulhamStu on February 19, 2019, 12:49:25 PM
Quote from: MJG on February 19, 2019, 12:41:11 PM

This is very interesting.   I would add another important statistic and that is how many times, these players have played together.  I think if we had our current squad, with key players like Mawson fit, we would be around 13-15th in the league.  Sort of a bit better than Palace.  I think we just had too much to do and not enough time in which to do it, which is the biggest lessons learned for me from our promotion.  Too many loans plus Fred to replace, plus our regular dependables like KMac and StefJo add Ream and a few others, really not good enough.  In other words, we required a completely new team and that just gives you an impossible challenge in one close season.

FulhamStu

If you take our Anguissa and Mawson, who have been injured so much, I guess that number reduces as well. 

Mike, you know far better than me, I often wonder where these player values come from.  If it's the amount they are tranferred for, how do they work that out when Fulham always state undisclosed ?

MJG

here are the best value lineups from 2014 when we went down.....

MJG

Quote from: FulhamStu on February 19, 2019, 12:53:18 PM
If you take our Anguissa and Mawson, who have been injured so much, I guess that number reduces as well. 

Mike, you know far better than me, I often wonder where these player values come from.  If it's the amount they are tranferred for, how do they work that out when Fulham always state undisclosed ?
A lot of it is guess work, info from fans where they have read stuff and I think majority of fans could disagree with every value on transfer market...BUT it's the best I believe in giving a benchmark/comparison against everyone. It's a level playing field for all teams on how the data and algorithms work.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: MJG on February 19, 2019, 12:57:54 PM

A lot of it is guess work, info from fans where they have read stuff and I think majority of fans could disagree with every value on transfer market...BUT it's the best I believe in giving a benchmark/comparison against everyone. It's a level playing field for all teams on how the data and algorithms work.

The values represent what someone is worth in a transfer not how good they are and definitely not how good they are now. Ryan Sessegnon is about the same standard +/- 50% as Ryan Babel for the rest of the season, but it valued more than 7x more long term mostly due his future potential. The other factor is a players like Schullre is on roughly £2 million per years higher wages than Seri, and that alone boost Seri price by £10 million over Schullre. Watford for example don't have a high player value because they have higher wages than Fulham. People talk about transfer fees because they are more often known as wage differences in a club make players jealous.

MJG

Quote from: The Rational Fan on February 19, 2019, 09:23:56 PM
Quote from: MJG on February 19, 2019, 12:57:54 PM

The values represent what someone is worth in a transfer not how good they are and definitely not how good they are now. Ryan Sessegnon is about the same standard +/- 50% as Ryan Babel for the rest of the season, but it valued more than 7x more long term mostly due his future potential. The other factor is a players like Schullre is on roughly £2 million per years higher wages than Seri, and that alone boost Seri price by £10 million over Schullre. Watford for example don't have a high player value because they have higher wages than Fulham. People talk about transfer fees because they are more often known as wage differences in a club make players jealous.
Values of anything are just the view of the person or corporation purchasing or selling.
My point was this site is the best around to compare clubs. Just as we have Sess another club will have similar.