News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Looking at the bleakest of all bleak pictures.

Started by Riversider, March 13, 2019, 05:16:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Riversider

If Scott Parker fails to win a single game before the end of the season,  can he still get the managers job fulltime in the summer ? Yes or No ?
The best manager in the world wouldn't have got any points in March so there's no shame there, but in April and May there are some very winnable games ahead,
As I've said before , 7 points is a very reasonable benchmark,  below that, oh dear 😞

Horsfield_No9

I'd say no. If we fail to win another game there is a good chance we will be caught and finish bottom (Hudds are 3 points behind currently) With us finishing 20th we will of dropped from the point Ranieri left which while may see us put in better performances will be a drop in form. Surely the Khan's would not reward this.
First game: Fulham 4 Burnley 0, December 12th 1998.

Tempest

Yes. Expecting nothing from March fixtures and there will be very few experienced managers who would be able to maintain players confidence and enthusiasm when we are mathematically relegated this month. This is a good time for Scott to gain a little experience and start planning for next season. I am 100% behind his full time appointment even with 0 points the rest of this season.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Live in Falmouth!

ffcwickford

He is very inexperienced at any first team level. If he doesn't get say 6-8 points - definitely two home wins, Cardiff and Newcastle from the last six then I feel the club would need to seek an experienced Championship Manager - if Alex Neil is still not attached he would be a no compensation option as would Darren Moore (who IMO has been treated like poo at WBA, he was 4th FFS!). I was championing Lee Johnson, but Bristol City are choking for the second season running. It could be that David Wagner would consider it once the season is over and I would be very happy with that!

ALG01

Quote from: ffcwickford on March 13, 2019, 06:14:23 PM
He is very inexperienced at any first team level. If he doesn't get say 6-8 points - definitely two home wins, Cardiff and Newcastle from the last six then I feel the club would need to seek an experienced Championship Manager - if Alex Neil is still not attached he would be a no compensation option as would Darren Moore (who IMO has been treated like poo at WBA, he was 4th FFS!). I was championing Lee Johnson, but Bristol City are choking for the second season running. It could be that David Wagner would consider it once the season is over and I would be very happy with that!

CR and magath were appointed because they were 'experienced' and CR even won the Prem. the logic of experience in this respect is not quite applicable. SP has taken over under ridiculous conditions and cannot be judged on any of it save for making the team perfom with more energy and hiopefully discipline.

Dodger53

We all know the problem is the players not the manager, my gut feeling is that I dont think Scott should be our next manager. The Players are not good enough, he will shuffle them around like SJ and RC but that is all he can do. Maybe if I see him start to build a team from this squad that could be the core of a Championship side I may change my mind. For that he needs to pick players who he thinks will be with us next season. Good luck Scott!
Tony Khan will probably want Scotty because he ticks all the boxes. Good Luck Scott you will need it.

Fernhurst

Quote from: Tempest on March 13, 2019, 06:03:00 PM
Yes. Expecting nothing from March fixtures and there will be very few experienced managers who would be able to maintain players confidence and enthusiasm when we are mathematically relegated this month. This is a good time for Scott to gain a little experience and start planning for next season. I am 100% behind his full time appointment even with 0 points the rest of this season.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Blimey, admire your pluck but 10 losses out of ten does not feel like a successful audition.
Good luck Scot but if that is your record by the last day of the season I would be looking elsewhere ......
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Statto

If we'd kept Ranieri until the summer then brought in Parker, would people have been happy? I suspect not.

So the default position has to be that he does not get the job.

If he can win some games that no one expects him to win then that might, quite rightly, change opinions. But if all he does is lose then have to just revert to the default position, surely.

In reality his best chance for a win was Chelsea at home and now that ship has sailed. Since then we've already gone back to looking as poorly motivated and organised as we did under Ranieri.

Some will say the next winnable is Cardiff but we need a new manager in by then, in time to start thinking about next year's team, our action plan for the summer, pre-season schedule etc.

Riversider

Quote from: Statto on March 13, 2019, 07:39:47 PM
If we'd kept Ranieri until the summer then brought in Parker, would people have been happy? I suspect not.

If he can win some games that no one expects him to win then that might, quite rightly, change opinions. But if all he does is lose then have to just revert to the default position, surely.

In reality his best chance for a win was Chelsea at home and now that ship has sailed. Since then we've already gone back to looking as poorly motivated and organised as we did under Ranieri.

Some will say the next winnable is Cardiff but we need a new manager in by then, in time to start thinking about next year's team, our action plan for the summer, pre-season schedule etc.

No way will they replace Parker before the end of the season and nor should they, he has got a ten game job interview, the question was, should he get the job if he fails to win a single game ?

Personally I think not ! But that decision has to be made In May and not before.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on March 13, 2019, 07:39:47 PM

Scott Parker has only finished playing two years ago, he maybe a great prospect but he hasn't proven himself yet, We are looking for a manager at least as good as Slavisa or Raneri, only saving us from relegation would convince me of that. Even then Raneri at Leicester is still more impressive and Slavisa's efforts would still be comparable.

Plus Parker also was coach of this side 18/19, which not great on a resume and it's half his experience. I am still disappointed with the Subs bench at Hudderfield, a team that fights during yoga and looks like it lacks motivation. When Bobby Moore was coach of Barcelona, his assistant Jose Mourinho solved a lot of these problems, interesting Mourinho never seemed to have an assistant.

The other possibility is if we play well enough say three-four wins and the club wants to sit out the transfer window (no buys or sells), we could extend his caretaker role (but i don't like that). The problem with Scott Parker is if he loses the first six games next season, i reckon will sack him, which is last thing we need.

Personally, I'd like to see Arsene Wenger involved as he is a stats man and was rumoured as TK first choice for Slavisa replacement, but he said no way i'm playing against Arsenal, well put Scott Parker in charge for cup games and Arsene Wenger won't play Arsenal.

My suggestion is offer the job to Arsene Wenger and if we get promoted to premier league he can hand over Arsenal Games to a caretaker.

Woolly Mammoth

I cannot see how Arsene Wenger is suitable, he does not see anything by his own admission, he closes his eyes just when something happens, or is about to happen, and because of that he is a repeat offender, and he would by all accounts make Fulhams soft underbelly even softer.
The fact that the owners son wants him, tells me that Fulham FC should stay well clear.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

hovewhite

Keep Scotty,as don't trust the Khan's with any recruitment.

filham

This is an unusual  situation and it is going to be difficult for our stats obsessed management to make a subjective decision.

The end of season games at the Cottage against Cardif and Newcastle really should be wins for us and it is tempting to say that if Parker cannot win these game then he should not be considered as a candidate for next season's manager.

Now consider the possible prevailing conditions of us relegated and at the bottom of the table with players totally deflated and thinking of little else than a good move in the summer. Our opponents on the other hand could be fighting like mad for the remaining place above the drop zone and will be full of fight in a last ditch effort for survival.

Would we really expect Parker to motivate our weak team under these conditions.

At the end of the season someone needs to make a judgement on Parker's potential and it mustn't be results based.

Statto

Quote from: Riversider on March 13, 2019, 09:09:15 PM
No way will they replace Parker before the end of the season and nor should they, he has got a ten game job interview, the question was, should he get the job if he fails to win a single game ?

Personally I think not ! But that decision has to be made In May and not before.

I suspect you're right, this is Mackintosh and Fulham we're talking about so they won't deal with this quickly.

But they should.

The last job interview I had lasted about 45 minutes so I don't see why we should risk cocking up our preparation for next season by giving Parker 3 months.