watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (26/10/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 26, 2010, 07:47:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/10/25/the-meaning-of-greening-part-89-and-a-quick-glance-at-what-it-means-to-be-missing-simon-davies/

The meaning of Greening part 89 and a quick glance at what it means to be missing Simon Davies
Filed under: Analysis — rich

Looks harmless enough doesn't it?   He's had a lot of the ball, not given it away, and if there's not much in the final third his passes seem to be going forwards.    Didn't see the game but Greening's fill-in job again looks to have been reasonable.

Perhaps (surely, even) the issue is just that we're missing too many of our creatives.

Simon Davies is clearly a big miss.    Saturday's 'balls into the box':

Dembele 2 passes into the area (none found Fulham players)
Dempsey 1 (1)
Gera 2 (1)
Greening 4 (1)
Kamara 2 (1)
Kelly 6 (1)
Riise 3 (1)
Salcido 5 (1)

It'll come good, but we're going to need one of the providers fit and ready before long.   I've no issue with Stephen Kelly but he's not the player you'd want delivering the ball into the area more than anyone else, is he?

WhiteJC

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/news/newsid=1323663.html?cid=rssfeed&att=

Pantsil: Ghana can become world force

2010 has been a hugely successful year for Ghana defender John Pantsil, reaching the FIFA World Cup™ quarter-finals with his country and the UEFA Europa League final with his club Fulham. Although he ultimately suffered disappointment in both tournaments, Pantsil can reflect on the magnificent achievements of both teams.

In an exclusive interview with FIFA.com, Pantsil reveals how far he thinks Ghana can go in world football after their impressive showing in South Africa and provides some insight on the early days of Mark Hughes' tenure at Fulham.

FIFA.com: What was your personal highlight from the FIFA World Cup?
John Pantsil: I think the performance from everyone was fantastic and it is a great memory that everyone in Ghana and Africa keeps talking about.

Do you think Africa showed what it could achieve by hosting the FIFA World Cup?
I think Africa did well, they showed the whole world that Africa could hold another World Cup in the near future.

Do you think Ghana is capable of hosting it?
Yes, definitely. Ghana can certainly do what South Africa did because it is a football nation and the people love football. I think it could be even better!

If we have a good mentality and maintain our discipline, as well as qualifying from our group in Africa, we can do well in Brazil in 2014John Pantsil on Ghana

What was it like for you and the team to have the backing of a whole continent?
It was a great feeling. It was my second experience of the World Cup and reaching the quarter-final with the support was a great feeling.

Your FIFA World Cup ended on a sour note with the Uruguay game, so what was your favourite moment from the tournament?
I think when we beat the United States to qualify for the quarter-final, which was great because it was a tough game. We beat them in 2006 so it was great to beat them again and it was a great moment.

First the last-16, then the quarter-finals – do you think Ghana has what it takes to reach the semi-finals in 2014?
I think we will even be able to reach the final – that's our expectation in four years' time. If we have a good mentality and maintain our discipline, as well as qualifying from our group in Africa, we can do well in Brazil in 2014.

Asamoah Gyan played a big part in the FIFA World Cup quarter-final, scoring the winning goal, and has recently moved to the Premier League. How do you think he'll do in England?
He's going to do well and I was happy to see him scoring on his debut. He's a young player and he has a bit to prove in England to show that he deserves to be there, but I think he's going to get bigger and bigger.

The coach who got you there, Milovan Rajevac, has left his post, what was your reaction to hearing the news?
I was shocked to hear that the coach of the Black Stars was moving to Saudi Arabia. We went away to Swaziland to play our first qualifier for the Africa Cup of Nations, which we won 3-0, and sadly he changed his mind to join a club side.

You spoke of the Cup of Nations. You are grouped with Swaziland, Sudan and Congo, are you confident of qualifying?
Sure, the most important game was the match in Swaziland. We then need to make sure we win our home games so we are on top by adding points to the three we already have.

You've finished third and second at the Cup of Nations, can you win it next time around?
Yes, it depends on how we position ourselves, how we train and maintain our discipline and team spirit. If we can keep this going I think in Gabon in 2012 we could lift the cup.

When you are with a club with the spirit of Fulham, is it hard to leave them in the middle of a season for an international tournament?
Sometimes it is a bit tricky but it depends on how you are with your team. When I'm training with the boys here I'm happy and if I have to leave it can be hard, but the Africa Cup of Nations has been like that for a long time so I have to bear with it.

Fulham made a promising start to season, unbeaten in the first seven league games.
I think we've started well and I think that to continue our good start we need to keep the spirit and discipline, as well as the determination which is important, so everyone on the field is helping each other.

He made everyone feel at home here, it was like we had been with him for ages. Everyone is happy with the way he talks with the guys, the way he trains with everyone, I think it's what every player wants.John Pantsil on Mark Hughes

When a well-liked manager such as Roy Hodgson leaves it can be difficult, but how was Mark Hughes in the first days?
He made everyone feel at home here, it was like we had been with him for ages. Everyone is happy with the way he talks with the guys, the way he trains with everyone, I think it's what every player wants. It's much of the same, nothing really has changed.

What influence did Hodgson have on your career?
He has done a lot for my career. I was at West Ham, not getting enough games, when he bought me and showed people that I was good enough for the Premiership. He was like a father to me; I will always remember he was the man that gave me that chance.

What are Fulham aiming for this season?
Well, two seasons ago we finished seventh so our expectations are very high. Since we have no Europa League matches we need to take our opportunities to get points whenever is possible so we can finish in the top six or seven, I think that should be our aim, to get back into Europe.

WhiteJC

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2010/10/what_did_i_miss.php?

What Did I Miss?
Posted by Phil Mison
Your correspondent returned late Sunday from a 5 day assignment on the Cote d'Azur, hence the silence from this site. Fulham wise what did I miss while away? Not much it seems.

I know, it's a hard life, but someone has to do it, as the day job took me away last week to Toulon for the annual Bowling World Cup, for which we produce international TV distribution. The trip began with myself and the Shakhtar squad shuffling through airport security last Wednesday morning at Luton. The players' sombre mood after being trounced by Arsenal matched their awful grey track suits, no wonder they were turned away from Harrods last winter!

While the South of France was a sunny delight, with side trips to St.Tropez and Nice, by Saturday afternoon I was fretting to get at my laptop as the finals of the competition overran with your blogger trapped behind a bank of monitors.

Sadly it was a case of plus ca change as all recent issues aired on this forum were revisited at the Hawthorns. Contentious refereeing decisions going against us, the inability to defend a lead, toothless up front, anonymous in midfield, no spark, spirit or invention.

OK - I've caught up with the match action, noted the absence of our complete first choice midfield, and picked my way through the invective and doubt starting to pepper other FFC forums. Of a sudden the table does not make for happy reading, the January transfer window remains a long way off, and fixtures are about to get tougher after Wigan's visit. No surprise some terrace doubters are pressing the panic button and a groundswell of support for the return of Roy is growing.

Two points. That is not going to happen. And I learnt a long time ago after a run-in with Ray Wilkins managers take no notice of fan 'advice' when it comes to tactics or team selection. Hats off to Roy for getting our squad to over-achieve so spectacularly for two whole seasons. Even with his shadow squad in Europe or for certain EPL games, he was still getting results and minimising the absence of injured stars. This time around a lack of form in some areas alongside the inevitable injuries, some appalling refereeing, and the massive setback from Bobby's leg break, have all conspired to blow us off course.

There's work to be done, and with every passing week we must hope Hughes gains a better understanding of who perhaps will be heading for the exit door soon. I'm not going to re-ignite the debates on Paintsil or Kelly for full-back, where to best utilise Gera, and who is going to mastermind midfield. We can all post from now till Christmas, but only Mark picks the team.

A few goals, an even break from match officials, starting against Wigan please, and the side could easily be transformed. I sense however from here on to New Year it's going to be a tough few weeks. Fulham fans are well used to having their backs to the wall. Maybe we've been spoilt. Everything has only gone one way since that sunny afternoon at Pompey in 2007. Standing together now in adversity will make us stronger.

Time to keep the faith!

WhiteJC

http://sport.virginmedia.com/football/article/2010/10/25/hughes_kg_will_get_his_chance?

Hughes: KG will get his chance
Fulham boss Mark Hughes has re-assured Kagisho Dikgacoi his chance will come provided the South African can stay injury free.

The 25-year-old midfielder has yet to feature under Hughes following a thigh tear, which was the latest in a long line of niggling injuries which have restricted Dikgacoi to just 15 appearances since moving to Craven Cottage last year.

Dikgacoi will be out of contract in the summer and Hughes said: "It's been frustrating for KG in all fairness.

"As soon as I walked through the door he was injured with a thigh muscle tear - and it's taken him a while to get back. But he played well midweek (in the friendly against Southampton) and did well for us.

"I think it's important from his point on he steers clear of injuries - certainly along with others we'll give him a chance to stake a claim.

"If the opportunities present themselves he'll get his chance."

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/tickets/games/BirminghamHome.aspx

Fulham v Birmingham

Barclays Premier League
Saturday 27 November
Kick-Off 15:00

On-sale dates

Season Ticket Holders on sale (unlimited)
Fulham Club Members on sale (unlimited)
General Sale 9am Tuesday 26th October
Loyalty points: 3 (more info)

Family Package

Purchase your own Family Package for this fixture. A Family Package includes two adult tickets and two junior tickets and costs just £70 (normally worth £100).

To book a Family Package please call 0870 442 1234 (select option 3) and quote 'FAMILY PACK'. Additional junior tickets can be purchased for just £15 for the fixture.

Please note these Family packs can only be bought in certain areas of the stadium and are subject to availability. These areas are: Johnny Haynes Stand (Blocks A, AL) and the Putney (neutral area only) & Hammersmith Stands.†

Group Tickets

Fans can also watch this fixture for as little as £28 when buying group tickets. So, why not get some friends, family or colleagues together for the game and introduce a few new fans to Fulham?

A 20% discount will be offered on bookings of 10 or more tickets. These discounts apply to full view adult tickets in the Putney End only and are subject to availability.

These tickets can only be bought over the phone and you must quote 'GROUP DISCOUNTS' when booking. Call 0870 442 1234 (option 3) (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm) to book now or make a  booking request online.†

My First Matchday Package

My First Matchday offers Junior supporters and an accompanying adult the opportunity to see what really goes on behind the scenes at Craven Cottage in the build-up to matchday. Pretend you're a radio commentator in the press box, run down the tunnel, pretend you're directing the players from the Manager's seat in the dugout, interview a guardian in front of the TV interview boards, see our trophy cabinet and even meet a Fulham FC legend! More info and prices †

How to Buy Tickets

buy tickets online  - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day. Save on booking fees by booking online*
by phone on 0870 442 1234 (option 1) - 7 days a week, 24 hrs a day
in person from the Ticket Office: Mon-Fri 9am-5pm; non-match day Sat 10am-12pm
by fax 0207 384 4810 (download printable form )
by postal application to FFC Ticket Office, Stevenage Road, Fulham, SW6 6HH enclosing a stamped addressed envelope (download printable form )
Seatwave - the official fan-to-fan ticket exchange
* Lower booking fees compared to telephone booking

† Special offers and packages only available on advance bookings and not on the day of the match.

Prices

Category B prices apply to this match.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/tickets/games/BirminghamHome.aspx#ixzz13SE8m7PA

White Noise

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/10/26/44-days-without-a-win-but-nothing-to-worry-about/

44 days without a win. But nothing to worry about

Filed under: Analysis — rich @ 9:36 am

Well, we're 16th, and people are starting to fret.   I don't think that's necessary.   One of CCN's oldest pet theories is that goal difference is, for much of the season, a better indicator of quality than points.   And if you think that's over-egging it, then goal difference is, I suggest, still worth looking at.

And by the goal difference measure we're one of the teams in the middle of the table who have yet to assert ourselves either way.   No need to panic just yet, especially when we factor in injury problems.

White Noise

http://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10436~2197035,00.html

Exeter Youngsters Beat Fulham In Goal-Fest

Posted on: Tue 26 Oct 2010

An Exeter City Under 15 side travelled to face their Fulham counterparts at Motspur Park last weekend and recorded an amazing 6-4 victory over the Premiership side.

This incredible match took 21 minutes to spark into life and when it did it exploded into a 10 goal thriller.

From Josh Kite's pass Jake Chisholm lobbed the goalkeeper to give City a deserved lead but a speculative shot drew the home side level immediately after. The goal-fest had begun.

Matt Jay put City ahead again six minutes later from Ollie Watkins' through-ball and then Kite finished well after a defensive error on 35 minutes to put City 3-1 up.

Just two minutes later it was four, Chisholm setting up Watkins who scored in style.

It stayed this way until half time but just four minutes into the second half Fulham reduced the deficit, tapping home after a free kick caused chaos in the box.

The back of the net was found again though just another four minutes later, when Jay's cross was headed home at the back post by Connor Riley-Lowe.

A rampant City attacking force then made it 6-2, Josh Wadham firing home from Lewis Sanders' cross.

City began to lose their way and an untidy ten minute spell saw Fulham net twice and set up a thrilling finale.

But with some slight adjustments to the team Exeter regained their composure and picked up a deserved win.

White Noise

Exclusive Footage Of Spurs, Everton & Fulham £10M Striking Target

Date: 26th October 2010 at 9:34 am |

The serious issue is that we're nine games in and how many goals have 'strikers' scored for any of these clubs? It paints a grim picture, quite frankly. The latest name mooted (tub thumping by his agent) for a Preiership move is that of the Congolese hitman, Dieumerci Mbokan.

'I follow the game in Germany, and there is no doubt the Bundesliga would suit my style of play. But it just as clear I could do well in the Premier League. I've a feeling English football would be made for me.  Strength and power play a big part in my game, and I am sure I would fit in well over there. If I do move to another club, it will be in England or Germany. 'I know Fulham are interested, and they are an excellent solution for me.'

He really isn't hedging his bets, is he?

Dieumerci Mbokani & Steven Defour à la foire xD

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/October/Wiganretailoffer.aspx?

Retail Wigan offer!

If you're planning on coming to the Wigan game at the Cottage this Saturday then why not get to the stadium early to take advantage of an exclusive retail offer!  If you spend more than £5 at either one of the retail stores this weekend, you will be entitled to a FREE Fulham backpack which normally retails at £14.99!

With plenty of new products in stock ahead of the festive season, why not get started on that Christmas shopping list and fill your basket up at one of the two retails stores! All Fulham FC fans will be eligible to receive a FREE backpack prior to 1pm this Saturday 30th October.* Remember they may sell out quickly so we advise you to get down there as early as possible!

Retail Store Opening Hours

Fulham Road Club Store

959-961 Fulham Road

London

SW6 5HY

Opening Times:

•    Monday  9am - 5pm

•    Tuesday  9am - 5pm

•    Wednesday  9am - 5pm

•    Thursday  9am - 7pm

•    Friday  9am - 5pm

•    Saturday  9am - 5pm

•    Sunday 11am - 3pm

Stadium Store

Stevenage Road

London

SW6 6HH

Opening Times:

•    Monday - Saturday 9am - 6pm

•    Sunday 11am - 4pm

*While stocks last, one per customer, valid at both the Stadium and Fulham road stores. Only valid on transactions of £5 or more.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/October/Wiganretailoffer.aspx?#ixzz13Sp3wF6T

WhiteJC

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2010/10/flying_the_fulham_flag.php?

Flying the Fulham Flag

Following two back to back defeats time to lift the mood ahead of the Wigan game. Let our international blog followers know where and how in the world we've made our presence felt.

© footballheaven

Tom the Yank is on his way over next month to meet up with Nick from Sweden - and hopefully a few others - ahead of the games with Villa and er, the current league leaders. Tom's just back from a trip to the West Coast and posts, that Fulham scarves are now proudly displayed at The Edinburgh Castle Pub in SF and at Wellingtons in Sausalito, where a scarf was added to proprietor Jeremy John's framed photos of Johnny Haynes and George Best.

In my wilder days, long before our elevation to current high profile status, I was always looking to propogate my love for FFC. As a DJ across Europe through the 70's and 80's Fulham stickers adorned the jock box, results were routinely given out on the mike (to general mystification from the Germans, Dutch and Spaniards), while various cars and vans down the years all bore FFC branding. I've put a Fulham scarf behind the bar of a Norrkoping bowling centre in Sweden, and a whole carton of Fulham strip went down to an orphanage in Accra, Ghana for the 2000 African Nations Cup.

It was during the above I found myself alongside Roger Milla as VIP's for an all-day local youth knock out competition. The boys who won called themselves Newcastle, but in the days that followed their mentor and coach Raymond Tetteh turned up at the hotel to inform me his side were now being remaned FulhamGhana FC in our honour. We're still in contact to this day, and FulhamGhana have grown into one of the best amateur clubs in Accra.

So where in the world have you run into Fulham stickers, mascots, replica shirts and flags? How much of it are you responsible for? Let's hear from you and your own efforts to spread the word. To inspire you here's my own slightly anarchic legacy to the campaign.

1979 found me in Houston doing temp work (illegally) in a bank while raising funds for a jaunt round Mexico. I was given the deadly dull task of micro-filming all branch transactions from computer print outs for daily archiving. I don't know how often officials from First Capitol Bank revert to those records, or what they make of all the Fulham results and slogans neatly inked onto the pages...

Following Fulham, a lifestyle choice, and a privilege

WhiteJC

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/2072/0/blackburn-and-fulham-do-battle-new-vieira?

Blackburn and Fulham to do battle for the new Vieira

Blackburn and Fulham are set to fight for the signature of the man dubbed the new Patrick Vieira.

Kara Mbodj can play at centre-back or in a holding midfield position, and is currently playing in Norway with Tromso.

The 20-year-old rising star joined Tromso from Senegalese soccer school the Diambars Academy, which was co-founded by former Arsenal hero Vieira.

Mbodj's commanding displays for Tromso have earned him comparisons with the ex-Arsenal captain and Arsene Wenger has reportedly been following the player's fortunes too.

The Norwegian press claim both Fulham and Blackburn have sent scouts to study the player, who would cost around £2m.

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/10/26/fulham-star-seeks-mark-schwarzer-talks-82029-27545030/?

Fulham star seeks Mark Schwarzer talks

SIMON Davies reckons Fulham should pull out the stops in their bid to hang on to Mark Schwarzer.

In fact, talks meant to mollify the 37-year-old keeper are 'a no brainer' as far as the midfielder is concerned.

Davies has just signed a new deal keeping him at Craven Cottage until 2013 – but his team-mate is still silently simmering over a prospective switch to Arsenal in the summer that went down the toilet.

Schwarzer wasn't allowed to leave for the £2.5million offered by the Gunners – and the prospect of him leaving for Serie A or La Liga at the end of his contract next July is fetching short odds.

But Davies knows just how much the World Cup keeper has brought to Fulham in the last three years and is hoping the powers-that-be can make him think again.

He said: "I'm sure they're speaking to Mark.

"There's no doubting his ability and what he's done for the club. It's a no brainer about trying to keep him, and I hope he stays."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2010/10/26/fulham-star-seeks-mark-schwarzer-talks-82029-27545030/?#ixzz13TEB1k3b

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/October/ReservesvMillwall.aspx

Reserves 3-1 Millwall

Andrew Johnson continued his return to full match fitness on Tuesday afternoon at Motspur Park with 45 minutes of action as Fulham's Reserves recorded a victory over Millwall in a behind-closed-doors friendly.

Johnson looked lively throughout the first-half, setting up Fulham's first goal of the game and scoring the Whites' second. David Elm completed the scoring for Billy McKinlay's men in the second-half.

The game started well for Fulham and they went close to breaching the Millwall defence early on when a well delivered corner from Bjorn Helge Riise saw Stephen Arturworrey's header produce a routine save from the visiting goalkeeper.

Fulham took the lead in the eighth minute after Andrew Johnson ran on to a long pass from Arturworrey. The Fulham striker managed to get around his accompanying defender before rounding the advancing keeper and cutting the ball back for Rob Milsom, who calmly side-footed into a unguarded net from 12 yards.

Undeterred by the goal, the visitors pressed and were soon back on level terms on the quarter-hour mark when a deep cross was touched back across the face of goal, allowing for a simple finish from close range. But Johnson ensured the scores were not level for long when he was on hand to capitalise on a moment of confusion following a Fulham corner on 18 minutes - smashing a loose ball home from six yards.

On 39 minutes Johnson swapped passes with Riise on the edge of the area, creating a fine opportunity for the Norwegian midfielder who forced a smart save from the Millwall keeper. Johnson's participation ended at half-time when he made way for Marcello Trotta.

The second-half started well for Fulham and the lively Riise was brought down in the area following a penetrating run into the heart of the Millwall defence. The referee had no hesitation in pointing to the spot; unfortunately Rob Milsom saw his penalty kick superbly saved.

However, Fulham were not to be denied a minute later when Marcello Trotta fed a pass to David Elm who forced his way past two defenders before clipping a delicate finish over the keeper.

The impressive Alex Kacaniklic was proving to be a constant threat down the left wing, with Millwall simply unable to deal with his pace and trickery.

The Whites made a host of changes on the hour mark with Kagisho Dikgacoi, Freddie Stoor and David Elm all being replaced. Riise was replaced by Kerim Frei on 75 minutes as Fulham looked to close out the match.

The Whites maintained a high tempo to their game following the substitutions and were able to see out the rest of the game with little trouble from the guests.

Fulham starting XI: Smith; Stoor, Briggs, Pierre, Arturworrey; Dikgacoi, Riise, Milsom, Kacaniklic; A Johnson, Elm

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/October/ReservesvMillwall.aspx#ixzz13TlxnKXX