more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Sess or Mitro

Started by Jimsbeerbelly, April 07, 2019, 11:44:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rational Fan

Quote from: fulhamben on April 07, 2019, 03:43:16 PM
Sess for me. Mitro is only as good as his service, and misses quite a few chances, where as sess made things happen in the championship

In the Championship, many wingers will be able to provide service in the Championship, but Strikers will be closely marked.

Mitrovoic is the kind of striker that can still score with service against a team playing a defensive 5-4-1, that is a rare quality.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Statto on April 07, 2019, 12:06:46 PM

Disagree. Tony Khan will just buy us another Rui Fonte.

If we had to sell one (not that I think we do) it would be Sessegnon. Whilst he may get better in the future, at the moment, as much as I love him, he's just a bang average lightweight Championship winger. It's much easier for Tony Khan to find one of those, than to find a PL quality striker (who's prepared to play in the Championship) to replace Mitro.

Although I agree that Sessegnon will be more easily replaced, I believe that calling him a "bang average lightweight Championship winger" is quite wide of the mark. Although not correct in my opinion, but he was after all voted EFL player of the year last time around. Doesn't scream bang average to me, regardless of whether the award was correct or not. As I said however, agree that with next season in mind Mitro is more important and harder to replace.

toshes mate

In terms of replacing players sold on, FFC, under the Khans, has not had an especially good record of finding like for likeness or suitability.  We have seen this in the Championship and this season in the PL.  Some of the damage has been with loanees but it has also happened to contracted players.  We should be very wary of losing players who'll be hard to replace, and that should condition who we sell and who we don't.  For what it is worth I think both Mitro and R Sess will be very hard to replace and so losing either or both of them is not something I relish the thought of.  However, if we were to appoint a good, solid, experienced professional manager/head coach and find a truly gifted DoF who could attract players to us and impress and inspire the recruitment and scouting team to new levels then I'd be more confident that mistakes in buying and selling will not be made so frequently.

simplyfulham

Have a look at the top scorers in the Championship this season.

Teemu Pukki - 26
BIlly Sharp - 23
Tammy Abraham - 22

Two of those players are players heading to the twilight of their careers who haven't had seasons like this before really. Certainly not as consistently as this at a level as high as this (Sharp did manage something similar in the division below).

The other player is a loaned player anyway.

It strikes me that it might be easier to find a goal scorer for that division then is it to find players who can be effective in the build up.

I would keep Sess and gamble on losing Mitro to find someone else to do the same job.

thebumponleroyshead

This is turning into a very split conundrum, a bit like the referendum. Young potential v older.
Oh You Lucky People We're the Best Team in The Land

Statto

Quote from: Sting of the North on April 08, 2019, 08:36:24 AM

If we had to sell one (not that I think we do) it would be Sessegnon. Whilst he may get better in the future, at the moment, as much as I love him, he's just a bang average lightweight Championship winger. It's much easier for Tony Khan to find one of those, than to find a PL quality striker (who's prepared to play in the Championship) to replace Mitro.

Although I agree that Sessegnon will be more easily replaced, I believe that calling him a "bang average lightweight Championship winger" is quite wide of the mark. Although not correct in my opinion, but he was after all voted EFL player of the year last time around. Doesn't scream bang average to me, regardless of whether the award was correct or not. As I said however, agree that with next season in mind Mitro is more important and harder to replace.

I'm reluctant to argue because I rate Sessegnon very highly. But I don't think the EFL PotY award accurately reflects his current ability. He won the for the same reason all my non-Fulham supporting friends and colleagues think he's our best player - because people have read about his potential in 442 magazine etc, but never seen him play.

He did well last year, but in a team where the goals came very easily and scoring goals which were mostly tap-ins and rebounds. Of course that reflects his brilliant pace, composure, anticipation and finishing. However he remains a player who doesn't really suit the roles of a full-back or striker, so he plays on the wing, but very rarely skins anyone. He therefore remains quite limited, and I'd wager many, if not a majority of fans weren't surprised to see him struggle to make an impact at PL level.

I've no idea what type of player he'll evolve into over the coming years and of course, being an average (or, I'd concede, average to good) Championship winger at the age of 17/18 is still a great achievement. But I maintain the view that he's nothing more than that at this time.   

Fulham 442

In a nutshell Mitro for me.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Statto on April 08, 2019, 02:37:17 PM
Quote from: Sting of the North on April 08, 2019, 08:36:24 AM

I'm reluctant to argue because I rate Sessegnon very highly. But I don't think the EFL PotY award accurately reflects his current ability. He won the for the same reason all my non-Fulham supporting friends and colleagues think he's our best player - because people have read about his potential in 442 magazine etc, but never seen him play.

He did well last year, but in a team where the goals came very easily and scoring goals which were mostly tap-ins and rebounds. Of course that reflects his brilliant pace, composure, anticipation and finishing. However he remains a player who doesn't really suit the roles of a full-back or striker, so he plays on the wing, but very rarely skins anyone. He therefore remains quite limited, and I'd wager many, if not a majority of fans weren't surprised to see him struggle to make an impact at PL level.

I've no idea what type of player he'll evolve into over the coming years and of course, being an average (or, I'd concede, average to good) Championship winger at the age of 17/18 is still a great achievement. But I maintain the view that he's nothing more than that at this time.   

I am not really trying to argue actually. And as I tried to mention in my comment, I also don't hold the PotY award very high as such and never believed he should have been considered. However, to even be close to being considered for the award you'll have had a pretty good season (which of course an average player could have). I don't really disagree on your other points, but I just believe that the qualities that he does possess already makes him a well above average player for the level in question. That goal scoring ability alone is very valuable, and I'd argue that it is a bit of bad luck and loss of confidence that has stood in the way of him scoring another 5 goals or so this season. He still looks able to be in the right place at the right time which is a very good talent to have.

However, at this point it may even be down to semantics and nuances and personal taste, and I believe that overall we are on the same page here.   

hovewhite

I'm of the mind to keep both players,as wouldn't trust Khan to replace them with similar quality.
If we go straight back up likely out come his brother Steve is in same team and they play in the PL together and think Ryan would sign on for another couple of seasons and then leaves as a legend.

Fulham 442

The OP's question is if we could only pick one of the two to keep which one would it be..

toshes mate

Quote from: hovewhite on April 08, 2019, 03:41:31 PM
I'm of the mind to keep both players,as wouldn't trust Khan to replace them with similar quality.
If we go straight back up likely out come his brother Steve is in same team and they play in the PL together and think Ryan would sign on for another couple of seasons and then leaves as a legend.
You echo my thoughts exactly and so far as you not answering the OP question, viva la revolucion...

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Jimsbeerbelly on April 07, 2019, 11:44:38 AM
You can't retain both, so here is the dilemma;

For me it's Sess all day long, still 18, Fulham born and bred, would benefit from another season in the Championship, get him tied down to a long term contract.

Mitro, I feel will be pissed having his wages halved, the reason for him joining got the sack, can get 300k a week in China, we'll get 25M+, can be replaced with another 20+ a season striker from the Champ.

Who would you rather?

Why?    People keep bringing up we're losing key players and I don't see why.    We own Mitro...so unless we're getting enough to bring in a replacement of almost equal value AND another winger I don't see it happening.

Hypothetically, I'd pick Sess.   Stick with quality youth that believes in the club.

filham

Quote from: Robbie on April 07, 2019, 07:25:06 PM
Being ruthlessly objective. Mitro is going to get more goals and is a bruiser.  He is a Troy Deeney type. Sess has not got the power or physical stature.

That said, if we can get £60m for the pair .... take the money and move on.
No if we can keep the players be sure that is the most of the benefit to us. When we sell our good players we never replace them with players that are of more use to us, the Mitrovic and Sess. money would not be spent wisely.

toshes mate

Quote from: filham on April 08, 2019, 05:27:33 PM
Quote from: Robbie on April 07, 2019, 07:25:06 PM
Being ruthlessly objective. Mitro is going to get more goals and is a bruiser.  He is a Troy Deeney type. Sess has not got the power or physical stature.

That said, if we can get £60m for the pair .... take the money and move on.
No if we can keep the players be sure that is the most of the benefit to us. When we sell our good players we never replace them with players that are of more use to us, the Mitrovic and Sess. money would not be spent wisely.
Absolutely, flham.  We have already seen how easy it is throw away millions on rubbish.