watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Fulham FC fan in California sues over 'racist' number plate row

Started by BigbadBillyMcKinley, April 10, 2019, 07:25:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toshes mate

As I mention on the Danny Rose thread this really is the most dubious side of PC where it simply provokes problems where there are none to be found.  Dare I say beyond the pale...

FFC1987

Quote from: toshes mate on April 10, 2019, 11:15:16 AM
As I mention on the Danny Rose thread this really is the most dubious side of PC where it simply provokes problems where there are none to be found.  Dare I say beyond the pale...

It also undermines actual issues within these sensitive subjects sadly. People who, by and large, I think are doing it for the right reasons but actually, have a negative impact and do their cause a disservice.

MikeTheCubed

A train back to London was once stopped by British Transport Police after a passenger complained having believed chants about "the whites" to be racist. I heard one or two of our supporters were even nicked following the aggravation that unfolded as a result.

Logicalman

Just saw this on the BBC app over here, and you're right, it's PC rubbish at it's best. If you Google COYW the results are ALL FFC related.

I'd also agree with the comment that this should be a second car plate as his first is FFC SW6.

I have the FFC SW6 plate on my car, and the wife's is FFC 1879. Well, gotta keep the Fulham 'flag' flying all round the world, ain't ya?

Footnote: Whilst writing this, the word Fulham was highlighted as unrecognized, so I clicked for suggestions, and the only one to appear was the term 'Shameful'. Seems that Google staff have been watching our attempts at playing footie this season methinks.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

SuffolkWhite

My son and I took a Banner to Basel in 2010 which read "Suffolk Whites on tour" we actually went in to the stadium before the game to get the ok from Basel and they understood it was in relation to out shirt colour. Ah happy memories.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Southcoastffc

It's clearly nonsense but IMO so is suing the California Department of Motor Vehicles because the decision 'violates his right to freedom of speech'.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Logicalman

Quote from: Southcoastffc on April 10, 2019, 12:30:15 PM
It's clearly nonsense but IMO so is suing the California Department of Motor Vehicles because the decision 'violates his right to freedom of speech'.

ahh, and there's the rub. This guy is a trial and appellate attorney who has served as legal counsel to the California First Amendment Coalition, amongst others.

This isn't only about his own 1st Amendment rights, this is an attempt to stop the flow of PC rubbish continuing it's continual flow into the lives of so many people here, and I support him all the way.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

FFC1987

Quote from: Logicalman on April 10, 2019, 12:34:47 PM

ahh, and there's the rub. This guy is a trial and appellate attorney who has served as legal counsel to the California First Amendment Coalition, amongst others.

This isn't only about his own 1st Amendment rights, this is an attempt to stop the flow of PC rubbish continuing it's continual flow into the lives of so many people here, and I support him all the way.

This. I feel the lack of liberals standing up to this nonsense particularly at universities is why we're at where we're at.

Sting of the North

Quote from: FFC1987 on April 10, 2019, 12:50:19 PM

This. I feel the lack of liberals standing up to this nonsense particularly at universities is why we're at where we're at.

Just out of curiosity, where are we at exactly? I mean in general, what big (or small of that is easier) challenges do we face because of this "PC rubbish"? Not saying I generally agree with everything that happens (the topic in question being a good example, and would have indeed been annoying had it happened to me), but personally I can't recall a single inconvenience that has happened to me because of things such as this, so I am interested in other people's view on the practical implications.

Logicalman

Please don't hint towards any political or similar slant in this discussion.
This case is purely and simply concerning the First and Fourteenth Amendment rights of US citizens, nothing more or less. I just read a great discussion on this, which ended with this:
"You can call Jon a sports fan or a First Amendment expert, but the DMV's misguided efforts to regulate license plates have misbranded Jon as a racist."
.. and that is the nub of this issue.

Logicalman

Quote from: Sting of the North on April 10, 2019, 01:05:43 PM

Just out of curiosity, where are we at exactly? I mean in general, what big (or small of that is easier) challenges do we face because of this "PC rubbish"? Not saying I generally agree with everything that happens (the topic in question being a good example, and would have indeed been annoying had it happened to me), but personally I can't recall a single inconvenience that has happened to me because of things such as this, so I am interested in other people's view on the practical implications.

The issue at the center of this is simply, as mentioned in my previous response, that the decision as made by the DMV has implications towards the applicant in determining that his views could be racially-contrived, even though a simple Google search reveals that the common usage term for COYW relates to Fulham Football Club first and foremost, and towards the colour of their shirts, not their skin.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Logicalman on April 10, 2019, 01:11:44 PM

The issue at the center of this is simply, as mentioned in my previous response, that the decision as made by the DMV has implications towards the applicant in determining that his views could be racially-contrived, even though a simple Google search reveals that the common usage term for COYW relates to Fulham Football Club first and foremost, and towards the colour of their shirts, not their skin.

Yes, I get that for this particular situation. I was however interested in whether this is actually something that in general is a problem in people's life since it seem to be quite a popular online opinion that there is too much "PC rubbish", indicating that it is indeed a general problem.

toshes mate

I believe we are still at the stage of setting realistic boundaries of equality and it still depends upon individual responses to where those boundaries are.  Personally I feel that is down to not tackling the central theme that we are (or should be) all equal within the eyes of the law and the law should be applied equally to us all.  Consider the last part first and perhaps the way some try to make out they are 'equal (and PC)' with token gender and/or race friendly programming instead of at heart knowing that we all deserve similar acceptance in society and it is not very grown up or adult to play pretend.  By giving someone equality you are not losing anything yourself although the perception is that maybe we are and sometimes PC tends to provoke that argument. 

Statto

Quote from: Sting of the North on April 10, 2019, 01:23:05 PM
Yes, I get that for this particular situation. I was however interested in whether this is actually something that in general is a problem in people's life since it seem to be quite a popular online opinion that there is too much "PC rubbish", indicating that it is indeed a general problem.

I can actually give you an example of how the PC situation has benefited me. I occasionally have to impersonate my partner (who, as unusual as this may seem these days, is a different gender to me) on the phone to Sky, Thames Water etc. That used to be difficult because firms would question your identity if you had a man's voice but gave a woman's name. These days, no questions asked. Impersonating a woman? Easy peasy in 2019.

FFC1987

Quote from: Logicalman on April 10, 2019, 01:11:44 PM

I'm not bringing politics into it. I didn't mean liberal in the political party sense, but in the small L meaning of it. ie being respectful and civil to different beliefs.

FFC1987

No platforming would be my biggest example of what I said. I went to watch a speaker in the last 12 months where I nearly missed it due to people standing at the doors protesting. That wasn't just an inconvenience to get into the venue, but the abuse/criticisms thrown my way for merely listening to a speaker, was particularly inconvenient.

I'd also add recently, whilst on this topic, that when watching question time recently, I also witnessed normalising of racism. When someone made an observation on the generosity of parts of the country, someones retort, was to shout 'you would say that as a white male'. Sadly, I've had this line thrown at me before mid debate in various, non contentious natured discussions so I'd also argue this is an inconvenience.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

My wife had Fulham1 but this is now on the wall of one of our moderators,
The other on my daughters wall in Catford.

I have "Fulham2" on my Virginia plates
Is this disrespectful to Whole Dead Pigs or anything else pork related, like swords ?
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

sunburywhite

Quote from: snarks on April 10, 2019, 09:20:46 AM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on April 10, 2019, 07:33:27 AM
The nutters are everywhere.
Schools in some places now don't use the word "Blackboard" any more..😵

That's because no one uses blackboards anymore mince. They are all whiteboards now. Blackboards disappeared with the ark.

I am offended they call them whiteboards or dont I have rights because I am white?
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Sting of the North

Quote from: FFC1987 on April 10, 2019, 02:07:49 PM

No platforming would be my biggest example of what I said. I went to watch a speaker in the last 12 months where I nearly missed it due to people standing at the doors protesting. That wasn't just an inconvenience to get into the venue, but the abuse/criticisms thrown my way for merely listening to a speaker, was particularly inconvenient.

I'd also add recently, whilst on this topic, that when watching question time recently, I also witnessed normalising of racism. When someone made an observation on the generosity of parts of the country, someones retort, was to shout 'you would say that as a white male'. Sadly, I've had this line thrown at me before mid debate in various, non contentious natured discussions so I'd also argue this is an inconvenience.

I agree that any infringements on the right to express an opinion (within the boundaries of other conflicting laws, such as anti harassment laws) is a problem in a democracy (of course it is a problem in non-democracies as well, but more expected). As such, I don't mind people protesting against a speaker in an orderly fashion since that in turn is their right to voice their opinion (although would prefer a reasonable discussion, which unfortunately is very very rare), but it should not go so far as to shutting the speaker up or hindering other people to listen.

I am not sure however if this is specifically a "PC" problem though, but more a general problem with trying to shut out people with different views (PC or non PC). My general feeling is that this kind of behavior can be found from "left" (usually by shaming the "non-PC" people into submission) to "right" (usually by intimidation and threats). In reality there is an unclear line between those methods, since they at some point become very similar in that there is a profound lack of respect for the opinion of others. This is also my very subjective view, very much influenced of course by the input I receive through various media and people I talk to. As such, my view may very well be far from balanced. 

Sting of the North

Quote from: toshes mate on April 10, 2019, 01:38:38 PM
I believe we are still at the stage of setting realistic boundaries of equality and it still depends upon individual responses to where those boundaries are.  Personally I feel that is down to not tackling the central theme that we are (or should be) all equal within the eyes of the law and the law should be applied equally to us all.  Consider the last part first and perhaps the way some try to make out they are 'equal (and PC)' with token gender and/or race friendly programming instead of at heart knowing that we all deserve similar acceptance in society and it is not very grown up or adult to play pretend.  By giving someone equality you are not losing anything yourself although the perception is that maybe we are and sometimes PC tends to provoke that argument.

Well put, in my opinion.