Summer Transfer Gossip.

Started by Mince n Tatties, April 28, 2019, 08:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFC1987

Quote from: The Rational Fan on June 11, 2019, 02:06:01 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on June 11, 2019, 01:49:56 PM
Quote from: Hoppus on June 11, 2019, 01:44:52 PM
Yes please:

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/wolverhampton-wanderers-fc/2019/06/11/wolves-open-to-offers-for-duo/

Pretty much the dream for me right now. What a combo or talent we'd add to our side.

If you could only choose one of these two, whic one would you choose Costa or Cavaleiro?

For me, Cavaleiro. Just because I think its more likely (on a perm) and a position we definitely need to strengthen.

wheelerdeeler

Cavaleiro over Costa any day of the week for me. Costa's a bit of a one trick pony and can be a bit lazy which is why Espirito Santo didn't really trust him in Wolves' promotion season (and generally favoured Cavaleiro to Costa). 

Cavaleiro is pretty much my ideal signing, it just depends if we could afford him from an FFP sense. We'll probably have to wait for sales before we can go in for him, which might let Huddersfield get the jump on us for him.

Twig

Quote from: wheelerdeeler on June 11, 2019, 02:39:17 PM
Cavaleiro over Costa any day of the week for me. Costa's a bit of a one trick pony and can be a bit lazy which is why Espirito Santo didn't really trust him in Wolves' promotion season (and generally favoured Cavaleiro to Costa). 

Cavaleiro is pretty much my ideal signing, it just depends if we could afford him from an FFP sense. We'll probably have to wait for sales before we can go in for him, which might let Huddersfield get the jump on us for him.

Why would we have to wait for sales?  The owners know there will be sales in due course so no reason why they can't make a signing in advance. Unless I am missing something?

FFC1987

Quote from: Twig on June 11, 2019, 02:42:08 PM

Why would we have to wait for sales?  The owners know there will be sales in due course so no reason why they can't make a signing in advance. Unless I am missing something?

I don't think we'd need to wait for sales and I don't think Huddersfield will be in any better position for FFP than us considering revenue will be less than ours.

On the subject of Huddersfield, I'd look at how much they'd want to take on Mounie. Appreciated he's had a tough time and not done well for them, but I think in the right team, he'd bang the goals in at this level.

wheelerdeeler

We might have to wait for sales because we don't know how much we're going to get for the players and how that factors in to our overall FFP picture after last summer and the wages we'll be paying to the likes of Mawson, Cairney etc. next season.

I've seen loans being talked about for Seri for example and that would just be 1.5-2m plus his wages off the books when we should be looking at 15-20m from him if he's sold permanently.

wheelerdeeler

Quote from: FFC1987 on June 11, 2019, 02:44:39 PM

I don't think we'd need to wait for sales and I don't think Huddersfield will be in any better position for FFP than us considering revenue will be less than ours.

On the subject of Huddersfield, I'd look at how much they'd want to take on Mounie. Appreciated he's had a tough time and not done well for them, but I think in the right team, he'd bang the goals in at this level.

Huddersfield had the extra year in the Prem and they spent something like 40-45m last summer, plus they've got new owners. They can comfortably spend probably about 50m not factoring in player sales. We could probably spend about 10-15m max (and even after sales we won't be able to spend much more on top of that).

FFC1987

Quote from: wheelerdeeler on June 11, 2019, 03:00:07 PM

Huddersfield had the extra year in the Prem and they spent something like 40-45m last summer, plus they've got new owners. They can comfortably spend probably about 50m not factoring in player sales. We could probably spend about 10-15m max (and even after sales we won't be able to spend much more on top of that).

I'm not 100% thats correct but I'd be interested in seeing the sources for it?

AnOldBrownie

I'm assuming you're basing this off of some FFP rule or two.   The owner was ready to buy a stadium for 600 million that wouldn't immediately provide a return on investment.   He also owns an NFL franchise.   I doubt he'd blink if he though dropping cash would help him get back into the EPL.

wheelerdeeler

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on June 11, 2019, 03:56:38 PM

I'm assuming you're basing this off of some FFP rule or two.   The owner was ready to buy a stadium for 600 million that wouldn't immediately provide a return on investment.   He also owns an NFL franchise.   I doubt he'd blink if he though dropping cash would help him get back into the EPL.

Based on FFP, yeah. I don't think anyone can question the Khans willingness to spend after last summer- but I'd rather play it safe from an FFP perspective than do what Villa did when they went down and use their Parachute Payments as an added transfer budget and what Stoke did last summer of spending 50-60m on top of keeping most of their big earners and then it not working and Stoke most likely getting done on FFP next season.

wheelerdeeler

Quote from: FFC1987 on June 11, 2019, 03:22:02 PM

I'm not 100% thats correct but I'd be interested in seeing the sources for it?

Sources for what part?
Huddersfield spent 45m last season (https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/huddersfield-town/transfers/verein/1110) and they've spent about 90m total across their two years in the Prem. And then factoring in the sales of Nahki Wells and Tom Ince for approximately 15m total that goes down to 75-80m net spend.

That's against earning about 180-200m from being in the Prem over those two seasons, so even factoring in wages (where they were 2nd lowest in the league last season, only ahead of Cardiff). They will have made a decent chunk of money from their two years in the Prem.

I'm not suggesting they will spend 50m this summer, but they will be very comfortable from an FFP perspective- especially when you consider they'll most likely be selling Mooy, Billing and maybe a couple of others like Zanka and Schindler.

Whereas we only had 1 year of Prem money, and literally put all of it into transfers leaving us very little room to manoeuvre this summer even after player sales and parachute payments given we'll still be paying for our spend last summer and we'll have some big wages next season even after players like Seri have left. I don't have a "source" for that, it's just common sense.

hovewhite

hr might score more than fine,but that's it.

Statto

Huddersfield will also have had a PL wage bill (£70-80m) for an extra season.

For both clubs, most of the £100m TV money would have gone on wages each year.

The way transfers are accounted for, it's not like we "spent" £100m last summer. Rather, we effectively committed to "spend" £25m per year over the next four years.

If Huddersfield spent £80m, even if it was over two seasons, they're in a similar position, albeit half their transfers might be accounted for a year earlier than ours.

I doubt they had much, if any, surplus in their PL seasons, or that they'll be in a substantially better position than us next year.

And of course all this is based on the assumption that both our chairmen are underwriting the maximum permitted losses each year, £35m per season in the PL and £13m in the Championship. It may well be the case that Huddersfield's chairman isn't actually pumping that money into the club like ours, in which case they'd be a lot, lot worse off than us next season.

wheelerdeeler

Quote from: Statto on June 11, 2019, 06:54:39 PM
Huddersfield will also have had a PL wage bill (£70-80m) for an extra season.

For both clubs, most of the £100m TV money would have gone on wages each year.

The way transfers are accounted for, it's not like we "spent" £100m last summer. Rather, we effectively committed to "spend" £25m per year over the next four years.

If Huddersfield spent £80m, even if it was over two seasons, they're in a similar position, albeit half their transfers might be accounted for a year earlier than ours.

I doubt they had much, if any, surplus in their PL seasons, or that they'll be in a substantially better position than us next year.

And of course all this is based on the assumption that both our chairmen are underwriting the maximum permitted losses each year, £35m per season in the PL and £13m in the Championship. It may well be the case that Huddersfield's chairman isn't actually pumping that money into the club like ours, in which case they'd be a lot, lot worse off than us next season.

A quick google later, Huddersfield turned a profit in their first Prem season. 125.2m revenue vs a 45.8m net spend and 62.6m in wages (http://financialfootballnews.com/huddersfield-town-fcs-2018-finances-premier-profits/). Don't know what they're like for this year, but they almost certainly had a lower net spend given they spend about 45m and sold Tom Ince for 10m. Would assume only a small rise in the wages as well.

So unless we've pulled off some accounting wizardry, they will be in a much better position to spend than we will be this summer.

wheelerdeeler

Talked about the kids last night, so now I'll look at a few of the more "seasoned pros" shall we say. Think we all know that signing someone over 28 at Fulham is a rare thing, but I hope we've now got the Ryan Babel rule whereby it's not a hard "no" if the right player came up given Babel was our best player the minute he walked through the door.

Kamil Grosicki (31, Hull)
I've been a fan of Grosicki for a while, and I'm genuinely surprised he's spent as long as he has done at Hull. Grosicki had an exceptional season with Hull, and it was really him and Jarrod Bowen who had Hull looking like they could challenge for the Top 6 at one point. Wages wouldn't be insignificant, but from what I can tell Hull are looking to sell this summer because they can 't afford to keep him on for another year. I've seen a rumour that Forest have supposedly bid 2.5m for him, and if we could get him for somewhere in the 2.5-5m range on a two year deal (maybe with an option of a third year) I think that would be exceptional value.

Anthony Losilla (33, VfL Bochum)
Losilla's basically just an old-school tackling DM. Think he would be a good option to have given the two DMs we currently have are more suited to playing with the ball than without. There's also very good value in the Bundesliga 2, and we could almost definitely get him for ~1m (maybe even less). Would again look at giving Losilla a two year deal, or maybe a 1 year deal with the option of another. He's also currently team mates with Tim Hoogland and Thomas Eisfeld at Bochum.

Mario Gomez (33, Stuttgart)
This one is a bit of a dream one for me. Been a huge fan of Mario Gomez for absolutely ages, and with Stuttgart going down and him no doubt being on pretty decent wages he's probably on the market. He wouldn't be able to play 46 games for us next season, but if we could accommodate him by having willing runners around him and having a rotation option for him he would without a shadow of a doubt score goals for us. This is the most unrealistic of the three, but I'd love it if we signed him if/when Mitrovic goes.

Statto

Quote from: wheelerdeeler on June 11, 2019, 07:28:31 PM
A quick google later, Huddersfield turned a profit in their first Prem season. 125.2m revenue vs a 45.8m net spend and 62.6m in wages (http://financialfootballnews.com/huddersfield-town-fcs-2018-finances-premier-profits/). Don't know what they're like for this year, but they almost certainly had a lower net spend given they spend about 45m and sold Tom Ince for 10m. Would assume only a small rise in the wages as well.

So unless we've pulled off some accounting wizardry, they will be in a much better position to spend than we will be this summer.

OK, so applying those numbers and assumptions to both seasons, and the point I was making about how transfer spending is accounted for, and assuming for the sake of argument average contract lengths of 4 yrs, their "spend" would have been about £12m (46 ÷ 4) in 17/18 and £23m (46 + 46 ÷ 4) in 18/19. That would have given them a surplus of £50m (125 - 63 - 12) in 17/18 and £39m in 18/19.

Applying the same numbers to our 18/19 season, assuming a £25m "spend" (100 ÷ 4) would give a surplus of £37m (125 - 63 - 25).

In fairness that would indeed put them £52m better off than us but it discounts us having a higher revenue etc as suggested by other posters, and crucially, if their chairman isn't pumping the £61m (13 + 35 + 13) into the club that FFP will allow over the rolling 3-yr period it's assessed, would still leave them £9m worse off than us next season.

wheelerdeeler

Quote from: Statto on June 11, 2019, 09:21:37 PM

OK, so applying those numbers and assumptions to both seasons, and the point I was making about how transfer spending is accounted for, and assuming for the sake of argument average contract lengths of 4 yrs, their "spend" would have been about £12m (46 ÷ 4) in 17/18 and £23m (46 + 46 ÷ 4) in 18/19. That would have given them a surplus of £50m (125 - 63 - 12) in 17/18 and £39m in 18/19.

Applying the same numbers to our 18/19 season, assuming a £25m "spend" (100 ÷ 4) would give a surplus of £37m (125 - 63 - 25).

In fairness that would indeed put them £52m better off than us but it discounts us having a higher revenue etc as suggested by other posters, and crucially, if their chairman isn't pumping the £61m (13 + 35 + 13) into the club that FFP will allow over the rolling 3-yr period it's assessed, would still leave them £9m worse off than us next season.

But you can't apply the same numbers to us, because we were paying players like Schurrle 100k a week. Don't know how true this is (https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/huddersfield-town-stand-premier-league-15476593), but if we believe it we were apparently paying approximately 500k a week more on wages than Huddersfield were in the season just gone- which is almost definitely an increase on what they were paying the season before. So that's what? Another 15-18m across the season in wages?

wheelerdeeler

These are the most likely unrealistic names I was looking at. There's about a 99% chance all three are no hopers, but however it turned out nobody would've expected us to be able to sign Seri last summer- so who knows.

Valon Berisha (LW,Lazio)
I wanted to sign Berisha last summer when he was at Salzburg, but he ended up going to Lazio where he had a pretty rough time of it. He spent most of the season injured, and when he wasn't injured he was on the bench. But, there is an exceptional player in there. From a financial perspective, it wouldn't be out of reach for us to try and sign him. Lazio signed him for about 7 million quid, and he hasn't done anything to increase his value over the course of the season lets put it that way. It would just be about convincing him to sign for a Championship club, hence the most likely unrealistic part.

I'd love it if we did sign Berisha, he'd be the ideal left-winger if we wanted to play 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3- but he can also play centrally in the 4-3-3/as the #10 in a 4-2-3-1 when (and it is when) Cairney ends up missing a stretch of 4 or 5 games through injury.

Pablo Maffeo (RB,Stuttgart)
Probably most famous for doing such a good man marking job on Lionel Messi whilst on loan at Girona that Messi wanted to swap shirts with him after the game in the season before last. Stuttgart signed Maffeo for about 8 million quid last summer after he had a promising loan at Girona- but it just didn't work out for him for one reason or another.

But as with Berisha, there is definitely a player in there- and with Stuttgart getting relegated combined with the fact he didn't play much we could definitely afford him. The question again goes down to whether he would be willing to drop down to the Championship when he'll probably have suitors in La Liga.

Marcel Tisserand (CB,Wolfsburg)
I wanted his DR Congo teammate Christian Luyindama (also a Centre-Back) last summer while he was still at Standard Liege. Luyindama's gone on to sign for Galatasaray and will be playing Champions League football next season (probably with Ryan Babel).

Tisserand's had a bitty season with Wolfsburg, but the ability is definitely there. This one is most likely of the three to happen, but it still is reasonably unrealistic. Wolfsburg spent about 6 million quid on him last summer after having him on loan- and they'd probably want similar to sell him. It would just be about whether we could afford to buy him/how badly we wanted to buy him.

Statto

Quote from: wheelerdeeler on June 11, 2019, 09:34:16 PM

But you can't apply the same numbers to us, because we were paying players like Schurrle 100k a week. Don't know how true this is (https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/huddersfield-town-stand-premier-league-15476593), but if we believe it we were apparently paying approximately 500k a week more on wages than Huddersfield were in the season just gone- which is almost definitely an increase on what they were paying the season before. So that's what? Another 15-18m across the season in wages?

I suspect their wage bill for 17/18 was indeed in the ballpark of £65m, then up to at least £70m in 18/19, and that ours was also around that level in 18/19. Factored into the sums above, those numbers would bring you out in the same place I got to. No way our wages were hugely higher than theirs in 18/19, and FWIW our wages can't possibly have been more than £81m, because there's a separate FFP limit on wages at that level for newly-promoted clubs.

Ultimately, I'd treat all the numbers you've mentioned with caution, and accept that we'll never know the exact numbers.

For the sake of argument I used your own numbers to calculate the finger-in-the-air position in my last post, but could easily have adjusted them to reflect the fact that
(a) we'll have higher natural revenues (gate receipts etc) over all 3 seasons,
(b) their wages will, as I said, have been higher in 18/19 than in 17/18,
(c) our biggest signings (Anguissa, Mitrovic) will actually be accounted for over 5 years instead of 4 (like theirs, Kongolo),
(d) we'll get a loooooot more money for Sessegnon, Seri and Mitrovic, if we sell them, than they will for Mooy and Billing
etc...

It's swings and roundabouts. 

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on June 11, 2019, 10:36:37 PM
Quote from: wheelerdeeler on June 11, 2019, 09:34:16 PM

I suspect their wage bill for 17/18 was indeed in the ballpark of £65m, then up to at least £70m in 18/19, and that ours was also around that level in 18/19. Factored into the sums above, those numbers would bring you out in the same place I got to. No way our wages were hugely higher than theirs in 18/19, and FWIW our wages can't possibly have been more than £81m, because there's a separate FFP limit on wages at that level for newly-promoted clubs.

Ultimately, I'd treat all the numbers you've mentioned with caution, and accept that we'll never know the exact numbers.

For the sake of argument I used your own numbers to calculate the finger-in-the-air position in my last post, but could easily have adjusted them to reflect the fact that
(a) we'll have higher natural revenues (gate receipts etc) over all 3 seasons,
(b) their wages will, as I said, have been higher in 18/19 than in 17/18,
(c) our biggest signings (Anguissa, Mitrovic) will actually be accounted for over 5 years instead of 4 (like theirs, Kongolo),
(d) we'll get a loooooot more money for Sessegnon, Seri and Mitrovic, if we sell them, than they will for Mooy and Billing
etc...

It's swings and roundabouts.

When discussing who is better off (Huddersfield or Fulham), it's worth saying that the year we are worse off is if we are in the championship in 2021/22 (when parchaute payments end). The years of 2021/22 or 2022/23 could be very dark years (unless we ignore FFP like Aston Villa and Wolves), but after that "The Khans" can pour £13m per year into the club, which would easily be enough to get us out of league one fast and back mid-table championship.

I want to laugh, because despite all the criticism of Fulham FC this season, Aston Villa has little choice but to follow Fulham 18/19 recruitment model with only one player Jack Grelish being Premier League quality, with a striker/CB that were got on loan and backline probably too slow for premier league.