https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Summer Transfer Gossip.

Started by Mince n Tatties, April 28, 2019, 08:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFC1987

Quote from: simplyfulham on July 03, 2019, 12:16:35 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on July 03, 2019, 09:19:25 AM

I do not agree with this. I've already said, I wouldn't mind a CB, but I already think Odoi, Ream, Mawson and MLM are good enough for championship at CB. Christie, not convinced. I think we need at least 4 players including pacey wide men going forward, a RB and a CB and ideally a striker so I'm not against strengthening positions, I just see our width as our absolute biggest issue.

Hey listen, fair enough you can have an opinion about certain players based on whatever criteria you fancy. And if you weren't very happy with Christie last season then that's cool and you are by no means in the minority on that one.

But just bear in mind he's already played over 120 games at championship level. In his 3 seasons with derby they finished top 10 in all 3 and in the playoffs for one of those. I don't remember where Boro were when he left them, but he played almost every game for them and they eventually finished in the playoffs too.

He's at least competent for what we need next season. Even if he isn't, we currently have S.Sessegnon, Fossey and Dramah able to slot in. We don't need another right back.

The problem I have with Christie is, he wasn't highly rated at Boro. There's a reason he was made available for transfer in January and at cost. He came to us, didn't play much, behind Fred, then when he did play, we threw him in deep end in the EPL and he was massively found wanting. Every time I see him play, I'm underwhelmed and I just think we need a better starting player at RB. I'd love for one of the youngsters to come through, but its hard to suggest that's going to happen when they haven't had the chance in front of Chirstie who was appalling last season. He's fine for a squad role, but we really need to upgrade on width as that seems vitally important to successful championship sides. (including our success). That's my two pence.

JoelH5

Quote from: FFC1987 on July 03, 2019, 12:24:55 PM
Quote from: FFC1987 on July 03, 2019, 09:19:25 AM

I do not agree with this. I've already said, I wouldn't mind a CB, but I already think Odoi, Ream, Mawson and MLM are good enough for championship at CB. Christie, not convinced. I think we need at least 4 players including pacey wide men going forward, a RB and a CB and ideally a striker so I'm not against strengthening positions, I just see our width as our absolute biggest issue.

Hey listen, fair enough you can have an opinion about certain players based on whatever criteria you fancy. And if you weren't very happy with Christie last season then that's cool and you are by no means in the minority on that one.

But just bear in mind he's already played over 120 games at championship level. In his 3 seasons with derby they finished top 10 in all 3 and in the playoffs for one of those. I don't remember where Boro were when he left them, but he played almost every game for them and they eventually finished in the playoffs too.

He's at least competent for what we need next season. Even if he isn't, we currently have S.Sessegnon, Fossey and Dramah able to slot in. We don't need another right back.

The problem I have with Christie is, he wasn't highly rated at Boro. There's a reason he was made available for transfer in January and at cost. He came to us, didn't play much, behind Fred, then when he did play, we threw him in deep end in the EPL and he was massively found wanting. Every time I see him play, I'm underwhelmed and I just think we need a better starting player at RB. I'd love for one of the youngsters to come through, but its hard to suggest that's going to happen when they haven't had the chance in front of Chirstie who was appalling last season. He's fine for a squad role, but we really need to upgrade on width as that seems vitally important to successful championship sides. (including our success). That's my two pence.

And it's spot on
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Matt10

Interestingly enough, Christie shut down a number of premier league flankers during our time. Although he was criticized, incorrectly, about his lack of tracking back vs Arsenal at home, when he set the record straight that Slavisa wanted him to stay up the pitch.

Defensively, I think he's adequate. Sure, if we can upgrade, by all means. However, going forward, he's poor in crossing with his right foot, but ironically set up two goals with his left (lay-off to Babel v Cardiff, chip to Sess > Mitro vs Southampton).

If we review a couple goals from our promotion season as well, he supplied Mitro with some lovely crosses, including Mitro's first goal for the club vs Sheffield Utd away.

My thing with Christie is how it looks like he's always going to trip with the ball at his feet. I feel his legs are so heavy that they are only meant to use in momentum of a dead sprint, and the ball itself just gets in the way. It's hard to watch sometimes. With that said, I enjoy the effort he puts in and dedication to getting the job done. Hopefully he challenges whoever comes in to take his spot.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Matt10 on July 03, 2019, 01:14:26 PM
Interestingly enough, Christie shut down a number of premier league flankers during our time. Although he was criticized, incorrectly, about his lack of tracking back vs Arsenal at home, when he set the record straight that Slavisa wanted him to stay up the pitch.

Defensively, I think he's adequate. Sure, if we can upgrade, by all means. However, going forward, he's poor in crossing with his right foot, but ironically set up two goals with his left (lay-off to Babel v Cardiff, chip to Sess > Mitro vs Southampton).

If we review a couple goals from our promotion season as well, he supplied Mitro with some lovely crosses, including Mitro's first goal for the club vs Sheffield Utd away.

My thing with Christie is how it looks like he's always going to trip with the ball at his feet. I feel his legs are so heavy that they are only meant to use in momentum of a dead sprint, and the ball itself just gets in the way. It's hard to watch sometimes. With that said, I enjoy the effort he puts in and dedication to getting the job done. Hopefully he challenges whoever comes in to take his spot.

I agree with most of this Matt, but surely all players at PL level (and most other levels) can use their weaker foot to pass the ball a yard or two (as in the set up to Babel's goal). Everyone except Cairney that is :)

In my opinion Christie is good enough for a top 6 Championship team. I also feel that as long as the players stay, we are good enough everywhere, but would also prefer a scoring winger and a back up striker. As for CB, of course an upgrade would be good but not sure that it is very easy to find someone that wants to join us and is also much better than the 4 we have. I think Jansson is about the same level, a little tougher which is good but also lacks in concentration quite often. But at least he is right footed, so there is that. 

Statto

The problem I have with Christie is, he wasn't highly rated at Boro.

He was only there for half a season and was their first choice RB. Not sure how more highly-rated he could be in the absence of a "Player of the Half-season" award.

FWIW I spent most of last season thinking he looked crap but I think he'll look much better in the Championship

Also I neglected to mention, Odoi can play RB, so rather than saying Christie@RB > Odoi@CB, perhaps the formula that shows our biggest weakness should be Odoi@RB > Odoi@CB

FFC1987

Quote from: Statto on July 03, 2019, 02:18:19 PM

He was only there for half a season and was their first choice RB. Not sure how more highly-rated he could be in the absence of a "Player of the Half-season" award.

FWIW I spent most of last season thinking he looked crap but I think he'll look much better in the Championship

Also I neglected to mention, Odoi can play RB, so rather than saying Christie@RB > Odoi@CB, perhaps the formula that shows our biggest weakness should be Odoi@RB > Odoi@CB

Selling your no.1 right back at cost in January, to me, suggests he wasn't really rated that highly. I do agree though that i'd prefer to see more of Odoi at RB but even so, I'm sticking to my guns here and sayign our biggest weakness, still, is our wide men.

spikey norman

Sky Sports have confirmed that Leeds have signed Helder Costa and are about to make a third bid for Cody Drameh.
We are looking at Crawley's David Sesay as a replacement for Cody

Tabby

Quote from: spikey norman on July 03, 2019, 02:29:56 PM
Sky Sports have confirmed that Leeds have signed Helder Costa and are about to make a third bid for Cody Drameh.

Would be weird to sign a replacement for a player that hasn't ever played for the first team.

FFC1987

Quote from: spikey norman on July 03, 2019, 02:29:56 PM

That's a heck of a signing for Leeds. Favourites bettering current squad with quality.

Fernhurst

Agreed, where is our quality signings??

Last quality - MacDonald and Cairney - who got those two in ?????? Kit ?
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Tabby

Quote from: Fernhurst on July 03, 2019, 02:41:34 PM
Agreed, where is our quality signings??

Last quality - MacDonald and Cairney - who got those two in ?????? Kit ?

Bit harsh on Mitrovic I think.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: FFC1987 on July 03, 2019, 02:26:45 PM
Quote from: Statto on July 03, 2019, 02:18:19 PM

Selling your no.1 right back at cost in January, to me, suggests he wasn't really rated that highly. I do agree though that i'd prefer to see more of Odoi at RB but even so, I'm sticking to my guns here and sayign our biggest weakness, still, is our wide men.

Our seven highest value defenders are Christie, Odoi, Djalo, Mawson, Ream, MLM and Bryan. Which player leaps out as the worst player there?

If you think the worst player is Djalo, we should get a centre back first. If you think worst player is Christie or Odoi, we should get a right back first. 

Sting of the North

Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 03, 2019, 02:45:35 PM

Our eight highest value defenders are Christie, S.Sess, Odoi, Djalo, Mawson, Ream, MLM and Bryan.

Which player leaps out as the worst player there?
If the worst player is Christie or S.Sess, we should get a right back first.
If the worst player is Djalo, we should get a centre back first.

So, if our fifth choice centre back is worse than our first choice right back then we should get a new centre back first?

S.F.Sorrow

Quote from: Sting of the North on July 03, 2019, 02:50:42 PM

Our eight highest value defenders are Christie, S.Sess, Odoi, Djalo, Mawson, Ream, MLM and Bryan.

So, if our fifth choice centre back is worse than our first choice right back then we should get a new centre back first?

Djalo is actually our ONLY right footed CB... and he's not even part of the first team squad.

Bassey the warrior

I hope we have another winger lined up. I'd love Cavaleiro. We are crying out for pace.

Matt10

In other news, Anguissa has been playing lights out for Cameroon, as a single DMF most of the time. I will not be surprised if we see clubs trying to snatch him from us.

Deeping_white

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on July 03, 2019, 02:53:05 PM

Djalo is actually our ONLY right footed CB... and he's not even part of the first team squad.

Not true, Mawson is a right footed centre half, he just prefers to play on the left. His passing range for Swansea showed that he frequently switched the ball out the the right wing with cross field passes as a means of playing out from the back

Sting of the North

Quote from: S.F.Sorrow on July 03, 2019, 02:53:05 PM

I would say that at some point Odoi should probably be considered as a CB, even though he obviously can play several positions. If so, he is right footed.

Also, whether or not you are right or left footed is not necessarily a huge problem, It is not like it is uncommon for a team to have two centre backs that prefers the same foot, although it is more common that they are both right footed. Hughes and Hangeland were both right footed, but did alright for example (and myself I played most games as a right footed left sided centre back, at a slightly lower level  :005:). It is much more important to be comfortable at your position which comes down to several factors. One of those may be that you play in a position that makes it easier for you to use your preferred foot as much as possible, although I would argue that this is not a very big issue for centre backs in general. Another thing is how used you are to a particular position, but a left sided centre back should be able to adapt to play on the right side instead given some adjustment time. I would argue however that the most important aspect is that the centre backs develop a good partnership between them, as well as with the other defenders. 

The Rational Fan

Well, I guess we could buy a right back, make Christie our fifth choice centre back and still say bye to Djalo.

AnOldBrownie

Since we're talking about right backs...and yes, we've got nice ones in development...but...

Does anyone remember Diogo Dalot who played against us last season?    He's 20 years old and he's now 3rd (if not 4th) on Manchester United's RB depth chart.   

Unless United is planning to convert him to a right winger Dalot now has both Basaka and Ashley Young ahead of him as starting right backs.    Mateo Darmian is still on the roster and he's a backup LB and RB.   Eric Bailly is a CB, but he's played RB for his previous squad and ManUtd.

If I were TK I'd be on the phone with United today asking for a loan for him.   He's fast (he was the fastest player on the pitch), strong...can cross at least as well as Christie.

imo he'd be a nice loan pickup in a position of need.  And we know United don't have a problem loaning us players.