Summer Transfer Gossip.

Started by Mince n Tatties, April 28, 2019, 08:26:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Statto

Quote from: simplyfulham on August 01, 2019, 06:56:47 PM
Quote from: Statto on August 01, 2019, 04:35:28 PM
Quote from: simplyfulham on August 01, 2019, 04:24:47 PM
Quote from: Statto on August 01, 2019, 03:33:07 PM

To reiterate, I don't think you can infer from a team being poor defensively, that their GK faces a higher proportion (proportion, not number) of shots from close range or easier angles.

But I haven't said that. You've made that assumption.

I've only said that you can't use save percentage alone to judge two goal keepers against each other.

So in your opinion, is there any reason to believe that Bettinelli faced a higher proportion of shots from close range than Etheridge?

Firstly, that's not the point is it. I'm talking about the quality of chances faced. Distance is simply one metric of that and is the easiest metric to measure (pardon the pun).

Secondly, Cardiff faced 36% of shots from outside the box. Fulham faced 34% of shots from outside the box.
FFS this is painful. So in your opinion, is there any reason to believe Bettinelli's saves were from higher quality chances than Etheridge's saves?

Anyway to cut to the chase, if I understand it correctly, you're not inferring from Cardiff having a (marginally) better defence that Bettinelli faced a higher proportion of shots from close range or from better quality chances than Etheridge. Rather, you're just pointing out that save percentage isn't conclusive proof of anything without scrutinising exactly what kind of shots were saved.

If that is indeed your position, fine, I entirely agree with you (although I must say it seems inconsistent with the wording of your original post, "Guess the defence they play behind doesn't count then").

I will treat the save percentage as compelling evidence that Etheridge is (or played) better than Bettinelli, but not conclusive proof thereof. I suspect most readers treated it in the same, albeit without spelling that out like i have here.

In the same way that if a team had 90% of possession in a match and 40 shots on target, I'd treat that as compelling evidence that they dominated the match, but of course one would have to examine the nature of that possession and those shots before saying with absolute certainty who dominated the match.

wheelerdeeler

Quote from: wheelerdeeler on August 01, 2019, 06:02:54 PM
An in-depth look at the signings already made, as well as looking at potential players to sign before the Deadline (and more).
https://t.co/RVtTqUTQvD?amp=1

Just to add on- some of the names who I considered but didn't put in for various reasons whether it be not wanting a Right-Back, too expensive, too ambitious or in my opinion not good enough;
Florian Lejeune (Newcastle, CB)
Konstantinos Mavropanos (Arsenal, CB)
Dion Cools (Club Brugge, RB)
Reggie Cannon (FC Dallas, RB)
Collins Fai (Standard Liege, LB/RB)
Sasa Lukic (Torino, DM)
Nathaniel Chalobah (Watford, DM)
Mady Camara (Olympiakos, CM)
Lewis Holtby (Free Agent, CM)

sunburywhite

I would love Karagounis back in his prime
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Arthur

Quote from: Statto on August 01, 2019, 07:53:14 PM
I will treat the save percentage as compelling evidence that Etheridge is (or played) better than Bettinelli, but not conclusive proof thereof.

In the same way that if a team had 90% of possession in a match and 40 shots on target, I'd treat that as compelling evidence that they dominated the match...

Your comparison between Bettinelli and Etheridge is nowhere near as compelling as your imaginary match statistics, of course, and I would hesitate to use the word 'compelling' at all - for the reason that the 40 shots Bettinelli faced last season is a relatively small number for a 'save percentage' analysis.

Taking in a broader picture, I note that, in 2017-18, Etheridge conceded 37 goals in 45 Championship games. Marcus played 29 matches (including the play-offs) and conceded 20 goals. Nothing in this statistic that compels me to recommend Etheridge over Bettinelli.

I'm not trying to argue that Bettinelli is the better of the two - merely that, based on the information I have, the difference is not as evident as you are claiming.

Statto

Quote from: Arthur on August 01, 2019, 09:19:50 PM
I will treat the save percentage as compelling evidence that Etheridge is (or played) better than Bettinelli, but not conclusive proof thereof.

In the same way that if a team had 90% of possession in a match and 40 shots on target, I'd treat that as compelling evidence that they dominated the match...

Your comparison between Bettinelli and Etheridge is nowhere near as compelling as your imaginary match statistics, of course, and I would hesitate to use the word 'compelling' at all - for the reason that the 40 shots Bettinelli faced last season is a relatively small number for a 'save percentage' analysis.

Taking in a broader picture, I note that, in 2017-18, Etheridge conceded 37 goals in 45 Championship games. Marcus played 29 matches (including the play-offs) and conceded 20 goals. Nothing in this statistic that compels me to recommend Etheridge over Bettinelli.

I'm not trying to argue that Bettinelli is the better of the two - merely that, based on the information I have, the difference is not as evident as you are claiming.

A debate about semantics - Yaaaaawn  094.gif

Just how "evident" do you think I'm claiming the difference is? (And perhaps for context you should look at my comment in my original post that "FWIW I still wouldn't swap Betts for Etheridge") Is it really worth arguing about?

Unless you're claiming the save percentage stats referred to by Facts Not Fiction are entirely insignificant, then WTF are we debating here - the meaning of the word "compelling"? Where exactly these stats sit on the spectrum between "not evident" and "conclusively proven"?

Surely on this forum you can find something better to debate than that. If it helps, I wrote some deliberately provocative posts about language on the Gareth Bale thread this afternoon. Surely they'll represent a bigger, better divergence from your personal opinions and something we can have a proper argument about.

hovewhite

70sPimlico

Steven Ageroad

Having trouble getting to sleep tonight, read the Betts.v. Etheridge discussion in the Summer Transfer Gossip posts, it's better than counting sheep!!

David I

Anyone think TK has just folded his arms, Pouted, while thinking "if those plebs don't appreciate my expertise, I'm just not going to sign anyone and I'm going to Sqweem and Sqweem and sqweem" 😆🤣😂

simplyfulham

Quote from: Statto on August 01, 2019, 09:40:13 PM
Quote from: Arthur on August 01, 2019, 09:19:50 PM

A debate about semantics - Yaaaaawn  094.gif

Just how "evident" do you think I'm claiming the difference is? (And perhaps for context you should look at my comment in my original post that "FWIW I still wouldn't swap Betts for Etheridge") Is it really worth arguing about?

Unless you're claiming the save percentage stats referred to by Facts Not Fiction are entirely insignificant, then WTF are we debating here - the meaning of the word "compelling"? Where exactly these stats sit on the spectrum between "not evident" and "conclusively proven"?

Surely on this forum you can find something better to debate than that. If it helps, I wrote some deliberately provocative posts about language on the Gareth Bale thread this afternoon. Surely they'll represent a bigger, better divergence from your personal opinions and something we can have a proper argument about.

Nice one mate. You come across real well with belligerent drivel like this.

The Rock

Quote from: David I on August 01, 2019, 11:31:18 PM
Anyone think TK has just folded his arms, Pouted, while thinking "if those plebs don't appreciate my expertise, I'm just not going to sign anyone and I'm going to Sqweem and Sqweem and sqweem" 😆🤣😂

Confusing post. He is not available, please try again another time.

Roberty

Quote from: The Rock on August 01, 2019, 11:45:35 PM
Quote from: David I on August 01, 2019, 11:31:18 PM

Confusing post. He is not available, please try again another time.

It he has the patience to read all of this - I haven't - I just pass by anything to do with goalkeeping - so most of the last few days posts - TK is probably wondering why he bothers
It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy

bill taylors apprentice

Regarding Betts v Etheridge,

I think the fact Etheridge is a stronger more solid looking player and Betts looks gangly and a bit uncoordinated gives the perception that Etheridge is more in control of his area.

Personally, I think Etheridge shades it overall but I don't think there's enough difference to make it worth the change.

twang

Looks like Fabri will leave on a season's long loan with Gazisehir Gaziantep paying all of his wages but no loan fee.

https://www.sporx.com/fabri-gazisehir-gaziantepe-transfer-yolunda-SXHBQ793957SXQ

Nero

Bit of Old/New News but a least its not a bout Goalkeepers

Tottenham confident of Ryan Sessegnon transfer despite Scott Parker's update on Fulham ace
SCOTT PARKER has insisted that Ryan Sessegnon will be in the right frame of mind to start the Championship season with Fulham, should his dream £25million move to Tottenham break down.
By TONY BANKS
PUBLISHED: 00:01, Fri, Aug 2, 2019 | UPDATED: 00:08, Fri, Aug 2, 2019

Tottenham have just a week left of the transfer window in which to land the Fulham starlet who they have been chasing all summer – but the north London club would prefer to complete the sale of Danny Rose first.

Arsenal have been linked with a move for the England defender, as have Paris Saint-Germain, Juventus and Atletico Madrid – but Rose is insistent he will only move if the deal is right for him, and he could now stay.

Sessegnon is still weeks away from full fitness after picking up a hamstring injury, and has made it clear to Fulham that he wants the move. The deal is expected to go through in the next week – but time is running out for the Cottagers to sign a replacement.

Fulham have been offered a couple of fringe Spurs players in midfielder Josh Onomah and winger Georges-Kevin Nkoudou, as part of the deal.

Five players Tottenham could sign before the transfer window shuts

Parker, whose team begin their attempt to bounce back from the Championship straight away at Barnsley on Saturday (3pm), said: "At this present moment, I expect Ryan still to be here when the window shuts.

"Obviously I have read the speculation. Will it affect him? That would be up to Ryan.

"It is not as if the phone has been ringing off the hook, a bid every other day for him and Fulham are turning it down, for him to have the hump.

"I had this too as a young player. But if there is one good thing about the transfer window it is that come 5 o'clock next week when the door shuts, he can't go anywhere.

Scott Parker hopes Fulham can keep Sessegnon (Image: GETTY)
At this present moment, I expect Ryan still to be here when the window shuts

"As a player you either get your head down, or it affects you. Ryan is not that boy anyway.   

"I am just looking at getting him as fit as we can and let's see what he can do. I have spoken to him.

"The conversations have been mainly around his fitness. I don't know how long it will be until he is ready."

Former Blackpool, Crystal Palace and Queens Park Rangers manager Ian Holloway is meanwhile worried about Mauricio Pochettino's future at the club.

The Argentine coach has spoken at length about the club's recruitment strategy of late and suggested he has minimal control over transfers.

southwest6

What's going on with Sess then? Run down the contract and leave for free next summer?

And will he play tomorrow?

Sting of the North

Quote from: southwest6 on August 02, 2019, 11:03:47 AM
What's going on with Sess then? Run down the contract and leave for free next summer?

And will he play tomorrow?

He is still some way from full fitness (see the post above yours) so he won't play tomorrow for sure. For the rest, we know exactly as much now as we did a few months ago. 

grandad

Derby have signed Kristian Bielik a CB who can pay in DM, from Arsenal for £7.5 mil.Surely this is one we could have been interested in.
Where there's a will there's a wife

SuffolkWhite

Ah but does he meet the STATS!!!!!! There is still time.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: SuffolkWhite on August 02, 2019, 01:27:53 PM
Ah but does he meet the STATS!!!!!! There is still time.

There is still time....How many times did we hear
that in the Jan window.😋