watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Scott Malone

Started by MikeW, May 06, 2019, 09:35:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeW

Thought he played very well for Derby yesterday - drew praise from Sky analyst for his skill and pace.

Never understood why we sold him for relative peanuts.

Thoughts?
"If you're sat in row Z and the ball hits your head, that's ........."

Fulham76

Wasn't he another who wanted to leave for the pay rise & premier league football?

Also, seem remember the fee being about £6m?

Good player for us though.

ffcne

Always rated him .My player of the season 2017/2018.
I expect he got a better contract at Huddersfield.
Maybe  Championship is his level.

glenhodgso

I liked him too, although I didn't mind when he left - we got a good price and he got a move to the Prem.

My only worry over Scott was that I sometimes thought he pulled out of challenges and, on occasion, looked fragile against the more physical sides.

ALG01

081.gif
Quote from: MikeW on May 06, 2019, 09:35:05 AM
Thought he played very well for Derby yesterday - drew praise from Sky analyst for his skill and pace.

Thoughts?

100% agree, it was about money. I prefered him to target, i thought  he suited us better.

The Rational Fan

Thoughts?

I was ok with him leaving, we were desperate for money. £3.5m paid for 4 months of Mitro and Targett, that unlocked premier league parchate payments of much more. 

But i see a case for getting back at the right price and if we can afford it. Joe Bryan is my first choice left back in the championship, but we need a 2nd XI left back next season, don't rate MLM in that position especially when attack is needed.

aaronmcguigan

Quote from: ffcne on May 06, 2019, 09:53:53 AM
Always rated him .My player of the season 2017/2018.
I expect he got a better contract at Huddersfield.
Maybe  Championship is his level.

He played for us 2016/17.
I'm assuming he left because like Aluko, we sold him while he was hot property, and for him a premier league club came calling.  He ended up playing 22 times in the premier league last season. Not bad for a championship level player. Also think he was sold as we had a ready made replacement in Sessegnon, as he and Sess shared the LB place.

toshes mate

When I first saw him I thought he had a rather clumsy looking gait but he proved to be an excellent acquisition on and off the ball, and got better with time.  We should never have sold him without at least an adequate replacement lined up (my one big complaint about all the better players who slip through FFC's fingers is that we just do not do like for like replacements).  We almost paid the price for that bit of injudicious business (IMO of course) by seeing Jokanovic sacked for playing RS at left back when he really didn't have too many successful alternative options and positive results were hard to come by.   And then Targett came along to recsue our recruiters, slotted in straight away just as Malone had, and gave us balance again.  Sadly it took Joe Bryan a lot longer to really slot into things (not altogether his fault) and in my opinion is not quite as effective in PL as his predecessors were in the Championship, but how much of that is down to lack of balance in the squad is difficult to tell. 

Of the fullbacks we have lost since 2017 all have shown they can play in the PL to a reasonable standard and I would have liked all of them to have done so in an FFC shirt.

Facts Not Fiction

He is one player that we adequately replaced. He had the season of his career, we brought him in for nothing and sold for good profit.

filham

Left back has been a problem position for us since the days of Rufus Brevet, Scott Malone was one of our better left backs, shame he was only with us for a season.

Woolly Mammoth

I was disappointed when Scott Malone left, and what magnified the error of letting him go was the fact that he was not replaced for quite a while, which was not only incompetent by the the Crack recruitment unit, but also showed up TK s inability to identify a replacement before he left but then failed to negotiate a replacement until the January Window, not very bright once again. But that of course is standard procedure for him.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Mitch

Always felt the sales of Aluko and Malone were smart, in that they left for fair money. Aluko was at the start of a downward trajectory, and Malone was able to get the Premier League football and ages that he wanted and had probably earned - no hard feelings at all. The issue was the time it took to replace Malone (and we still haven't really replaced Aluko). Credit to the team, they seem to know when to move someone on, they just can't replace them efficiently.

KJS

He left to play in the Premier league with Huddersfield and ended up at Derby, obviously his level is the Championship

toshes mate

Quote from: KJS on May 07, 2019, 10:04:05 AM
He left to play in the Premier league with Huddersfield and ended up at Derby, obviously his level is the Championship
It is what works that matters at any level, not the level itself.  Malone formed a really good partnership with RS, something that was not recovered until Targett was signed.  That was nearly six months of a season wasted when we could have got the points to challenge for the Championship title and have fewer positions to worry about when promoted since Malone was not a loanee.

Statto

Quote from: Mitch on May 07, 2019, 09:15:19 AM
Credit to the team, they seem to know when to move someone on, they just can't replace them efficiently.

Agree on both counts
McCormack another example of someone who probably left at the right time, but wasn't properly replaced (for 2 yrs)

We Are Premier League

Quote from: The Rational Fan on May 06, 2019, 11:22:21 AM

Thoughts?

I was ok with him leaving, we were desperate for money. £3.5m paid for 4 months of Mitro and Targett, that unlocked premier league parchate payments of much more. 

But i see a case for getting back at the right price and if we can afford it. Joe Bryan is my first choice left back in the championship, but we need a 2nd XI left back next season, don't rate MLM in that position especially when attack is needed.

Utility expert Odoi can provide cover at left back, think we have bigger issues to focus our recruitment on.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: mlangstrom on May 07, 2019, 01:58:22 PM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on May 06, 2019, 11:22:21 AM

Thoughts?

Utility expert Odoi can provide cover at left back, think we have bigger issues to focus our recruitment on.

I agree left back is around 7th priority for FFC, for me the front three and AM is critical, you have to score goals to get promoted and many teams in the Championship will sit back with a Low Block against Fulham. The defenders can spread their energy as required, but the forwards need super energy even against weak teams.

Personally, i think Mitro is great against Low Block teams like Burnley and Brighton, but apart from this season Mitro normally manages 2000 minutes per season and we need another Striker to keep him as fresh as possible.