watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Old Sod's Army-Cannot move on.

Started by bog, June 18, 2019, 04:41:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

I have just watched again that DVD of our recent promotional season. Being in that white wall, losing it and dancing round like a bloody old fool. It still gets to me, I still jump up at some of the goals and salivate over our football even being called 'sumptuous'. Our football was better than Wolves who we beat 2-0 and could have had 5. I will not 'move on' from Slav. Because of that idiot T Khan he had to work with players he didn't know and ended up getting stabbed in the back. I just wish we could have seen him in charge of players bought, if it had not worked then fair enough, but we will never know and that really p***** me off!  :031:  From a possible position of much strength we are now back to our previous one of wondering what will happen. 

Older ones still fondly remember Bedford Jezzard, Alec Stock, Malcolm Macdonald, Ray Lewington, Micky Adams, Kevin  Keegan, Jean Tigana and Roy Hodgson. For me Slavisa Jokanovic is now added to that list and I wish him and his family well in Qatar.  :54:

Thank you and good night

092.gif     

ByTheRiver

As a member of the 'Moving Towards Middle Age Army', I can only say I agree with all of this.

HV71

Bog - feel exactly the same. It is as if my feet are stuck in concrete - no matter how much I try I can't move on. It wasn't just the winning - far from it - it was the style of play and the anticipation of what might . happen next. It just feels boring now and rather predictable.

Our only hope now would seem to be that our ( very good ) owner wakes up and realises that he needs a professional DOF in order to make things worth . There was a fantastic feature on the role of a DOF in todays game on the radio yesterday which covered the experience and skill set required to do an effective job. I doubt ours would score 2/10.

It's there for all to see ......

bog

Quote from: HV71 on June 20, 2019, 05:13:32 AM
Bog - feel exactly the same. It is as if my feet are stuck in concrete - no matter how much I try I can't move on. It wasn't just the winning - far from it - it was the style of play and the anticipation of what might . happen next. It just feels boring now and rather predictable.

Our only hope now would seem to be that our ( very good ) owner wakes up and realises that he needs a professional DOF in order to make things worth . There was a fantastic feature on the role of a DOF in todays game on the radio yesterday which covered the experience and skill set required to do an effective job. I doubt ours would score 2/10.

It's there for all to see ......

Exactly. I do not expect to see football the like of again I just hope our new boss is not a puppet. Worried is me.  :016:

toshes mate

Absolutely concur with the OP.  A bit of my heart still hurts whenever I think of what was thrown by the wayside so needlessly last summer and autumn.  Jokanovic was the Khans' saviour, not that they knew or appreciated it one little bit.  I do hope SP can produce something similar and repair the damage.

KJS

Quote from: bog on June 18, 2019, 04:41:53 PM
I have just watched again that DVD of our recent promotional season. Being in that white wall, losing it and dancing round like a bloody old fool. It still gets to me, I still jump up at some of the goals and salivate over our football even being called 'sumptuous'. Our football was better than Wolves who we beat 2-0 and could have had 5. I will not 'move on' from Slav. Because of that idiot T Khan he had to work with players he didn't know and ended up getting stabbed in the back. I just wish we could have seen him in charge of players bought, if it had not worked then fair enough, but we will never know and that really p***** me off!  :031:  From a possible position of much strength we are now back to our previous one of wondering what will happen. 

Older ones still fondly remember Bedford Jezzard, Alec Stock, Malcolm Macdonald, Ray Lewington, Micky Adams, Kevin  Keegan, Jean Tigana and Roy Hodgson. For me Slavisa Jokanovic is now added to that list and I wish him and his family well in Qatar.  :54:

Thank you and good night

092.gif   

Slav was out of his depth in the Premier league and has shown that by his latest move to QATAR, so like him just move on!!

Woolly Mammoth

Thank you and good night

092.gif     

Excellent post Bog, I could not have put it better myself. One year on and we are back to the drawing board. Like a game of Snakes and Ladders, Slav took us up the Ladder and we have now gone back down the Snake.
But whether we like it or not, we have to prepare to meet the next Challenge, which is the Championship, and that will be no picnic. So many different kinds of teams with different methods and systems of play.
We will need a good start with players who are Leaders, Winners, Fighters, Warriors and Characters. 
We start with a clean slate, 46 matches, the first one is as important as the last, and the ball never gets tired.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Andy S

No Slav was not out of his depth in the prem but he needed time to learn. Our previous season didn't start until after Christmas and that was when Slav was sacked. I would take Slav back now over Parker and that is nothing against Parker. He is still a rookie who has a lot to learn. He may well be a good manager but is ther3 any need to take a chance on it. It would be better to hit the ground running on August 2nd and show people we are back

HV71

Slav was out of his depth in the Premier league and has shown that by his latest move to QATAR, so like him just move on!!

If you think Slav was out of his depth - then at least he was learning to swim with the big boys in the deep end.
Contrast this to the real problem who has his floats on and is still struggling in the shallow kiddies pool ! !

ByTheRiver

Quote from: KJS on June 20, 2019, 08:37:23 AM

Comments like this are idiotic beyond belief. The type of witless assessment that makes you wonder if the human race has ever really evolved beyond that primodial slime which first swam from the sea and reached dry land.

Do you really believe that? Which managers do you rate in world football? I will go with n obvious two at the moment, Guardiola and Klopp? They are pretty decent, yeah?

Well... I guarantee that given the same situation as Slav - all preseason friendlies played with Djalo and a number of players that would form no part of the actual first team (so essentially no preseason friendlies), one injured CB and one CB signed a day before the first match, new recruits and, ultimately, an entire squad of players with less than a handful of appearances in the premier league (some with hardly any experience of any top division) and chuck them all together a week before starting what is, Sky hype about 'best' aside, certainly the most 'competitive' league in the world - that they would fare no better. Possibly/probably worse.

Out of his depth. No one can gauge anything from the hand he was dealt. Good grief!

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: HV71 on June 20, 2019, 02:04:16 PM

If you think Slav was out of his depth - then at least he was learning to swim with the big boys in the deep end.
Contrast this to the real problem who has his floats on and is still struggling in the shallow kiddies pool ! !

and the real problem could not even prevent his own Rubber Duck sinking in his bath. 
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

filham

Thank you and good night

092.gif     
All of those managers from the past are certainly heroes of mine, Beddy Jezzard's record is so good, he took us into the top division and kept us there for so long. If you moved on from Jezzard the moving on from Jocanovic should present no problem.

I would place Jezzard, Roy, Tigana, Frank Osborne, Stock, MacDonald and Adams all ahead of Jocanovic in my list of favourite managers and I am hoping to add Parker to the list after the next two or three seasons.

bog

I do not subscribe to the thought that Slav was out of his depth. He had only dipped his toes in. Correct that he kept on moving the players about but when we played at Liverpool I was expecting 5-0. He had moved Chambers into midfield, we played really well and should have led 0-2 at halftime but for one daft big club decision and a very tight offside. Would this have been the beginning of a line up to compete? He may ave been out of his depth but we will never know. My money is on that he would not have been.

092.gif 

Camel Club

Quote from: bog on June 20, 2019, 05:24:30 PM
I do not subscribe to the thought that Slav was out of his depth. He had only dipped his toes in. Correct that he kept on moving the players about but when we played at Liverpool I was expecting 5-0. He had moved Chambers into midfield, we played really well and should have led 0-2 at halftime but for one daft big club decision and a very tight offside. Would this have been the beginning of a line up to compete? He may ave been out of his depth but we will never know. My money is on that he would not have been.

092.gif

I agree with your original post Bog and with what you say here. I too have found it difficult to move on from how that win at Wembley (which followed an incredible second half to the season) wasn't the beginning of something really, really special.

On this message board we have been over and over the various  factors which contributed to why last season was such a disappointment.

I loved Slav and the brand of football he brought to Fulham but I couldn't believe that it took him so long to put 2 holding/defensive midfielders in to give our defence a bit more protection. He finally did it at Anfield but unfortunately those upstairs had already made the decision to sack him and it was too late.

I'm hoping that in a few years we can look back and be able to put the 2018-2019 season in to some sort of context; hopefully as supporters of an established Premier League club once again. COYW!!

filham

Quote from: bog on June 20, 2019, 05:24:30 PM

092.gif 
We do not know if Jokanovic was out of his depth although those early Premier league results suggest he may have been.

We do know for certain that Jezzard and Roy were certainly not out of their depth in the top flight and I really can't imagine Alec Stock being out of his depth wherever he was.

Don't worry there is life after Jocanovic and it can be more reliable.

filham

I should add that my Grandaughter, a Watford fan, has never looked back since Jocanovic left Watford.