watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The skill level of women's football

Started by Fulham1959, June 28, 2019, 11:36:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YankeeJim

The women's game is decidedly different than that of the men. Certainly not as good from a football standpoint but better from an entertainment aspect in many respects. The constant effort by all players exceeds that of most male games, IMO. Most importantly, they just get on with it. Little of the gamesmanship, stalling, cheap shots or playacting that makes much of men's football irritating to watch. That, and I have a thing for long legged, lissome women. Of course that doesn't effect my opinion at all.  :022:
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Holders

The comments above are almost all very positive and appreciative and some good points made.

I thought the pass from Parris to White(?) yesterday was pin-point and worthy of any top PL forward.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Barrett487

Apologies  if this has been covered... but.

Agreeing with many posters, however... it seems to me that there is a nucleus of (maybe) eight countries who have recognisable skill.

US, France, Germany, Sweden, Holland, plus a couple of others including GB.

The point is, whilst there may be skill within the women's football world cup, there are way too many 'shin it and hope' teams. Argentina were a good example of this.

fulhamben

Quote from: Barrett487 on June 28, 2019, 08:23:53 PM

Agreeing with many posters, however... it seems to me that there is a nucleus of (maybe) eight countries who have recognisable skill.

The point is, whilst there may be skill within the women's football world cup, there are way too many 'shin it and hope' teams. Argentina were a good example of this.
you get that in the mens world cup too. It's because of the stupid way qualification is done, you take the best teams from areas rather than the best teams in the world. It's why for me the Euros is stronger than the world cup
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Dr Quinzel

Quote from: Barrett487 on June 28, 2019, 08:23:53 PM

It will come. You have teams like Argentina who are still covering their own flight costs, so you can imagine the difference the funding gets from nation to nation.

General

Quote from: Wolf on June 28, 2019, 02:24:46 PM
Zero interest in it personally, but the level is perhaps closest to high level U16-U18 mens

Agreed. And women's professional teams play these teams and u21's too and from memory it's close.. don't think in my lifetime they'll ever get close to the standard of the men's game. But then again they're not men and are physically different so perhaps we should just be OK with that and treat it differently.

I remember going to the women's champions league final at craven cottage in 2012 I think... more like a party atmosphere - people went for the novelty, like they would the rugby 7s. Obviously not everyone.. but there are similar vibes.

It's got a long way to go still.

ALG01

One thing to bear in mind.
The men by and large are better players, bigger, more athletic etc.
The men's game has also become predictable sterile and losty much of its edge.
The characters are few and far between, cheating is allowed, the refs are less thean full of integrity, money rules and the fans are treated with contempt.
The ladies game is recognisably football that is played with classic emotion and there in fact characters throughout the game.
Do I prefer to watch the men, of course. But I really enjoy the women's game and lament what it has that we have lost. The critics here are missing a real treat.

toshes mate

I watched all the quarter finals and thought the standard of play in the Sweden v. Germany game was excellent.  It was also a closely contested game and we know they tend to be the more satisfying in terms of being engrossing.  I will not be making comparisons with the men's game other than in terms of entertainment and staying power.  When I am 'forced' to watch a game for ninety minutes plus because I cannot take my eyes off it, then I know I am getting value.  It was a really hot day yesterday and yet Sweden and Germany conspired to produce a thriller.  That says it all for me. 

OtherHodgson

Those who think the top womens teams are at or below pub team level might think differently if they played with some of the top women players.  When USWNT legend Joy Fawcett retired after the Greece Olympics she and her husband formed a co-ed team in Newport Beach, CA and I played on it for 6-7 years. Most of guys and women on the team and in the league had played at a decent level (e.g. College D-1) but her touch, vision, and overall technical skills were at another level save for when we had other US internationals play for us like Thomas Dooley.

And they don't shy from the physical part of the game. Shannon Boxx played for us a few times while she was still playing for the US and she was a beast. Flattened two guys in the first 5 min of the match and had the other team complaining.  She was bigger than me with a very solid build. For reference I'm a little bigger than AK47 (met him at McBrides).

No it's not the same as the men's game but I think the average person on this board would be surprised how good and how physical the very best women players are.

Fulham1959

There were 2 storming headed goals by Holland in yesterday's match.  Even a good male goalkeeper would have struggled to save them.

JoelH5

Who cares how good the quality is? As long as the games are competitive it provides an enjoyable watch. I do prefer mens football but one thing I have found refreshing in the womens game is the lack of egos.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Dr Quinzel

Quote from: JoelH5 on June 30, 2019, 06:56:02 PM
Who cares how good the quality is? As long as the games are competitive it provides an enjoyable watch. I do prefer mens football but one thing I have found refreshing in the womens game is the lack of egos.

We play the US team Tuesday, so you'll see a few then!

YankeeJim

Quote from: Dr Quinzel on June 30, 2019, 09:28:27 PM
Quote from: JoelH5 on June 30, 2019, 06:56:02 PM

We play the US team Tuesday, so you'll see a few then!

Why have you been savings your egos? I'd thought you lot would play all your players.  :022:
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Russianrob

Not sure how relevant the actual sport is in relation to patriotism.The English will support England even if it were Tiddlywinks.However the Welsh and sweaties will be wanting a USA win!

Fulham1959

What about drat-nurdling - we English have never been beaten !

Dr Quinzel

For those interested, GIANT is a Podcast available on Spotify and they've just done a feature with 7 women who have played across 7 different ladies tournaments down the years. It features their stories and the progression of the women's game. Worth an hour of your time.

sacffc

Quote from: Fulham1959 on July 01, 2019, 10:39:25 AM
What about drat-nurdling - we English have never been beaten !
I must admit that I have no idea what drat-nurdling is, or even if it's a real thing.  I am, nonetheless, excited about the possibilities.  Instead of just some random guy, I could by the USA Drat-nurdling champion.  The fame ... the fortune ... it's all within reach now!  It'd be like Eddie the Eagle all over again.

First, of course, I'll need to contact the International Drat-nurdling Federation, to find out the official rules and what requirements I'll have to meet.  At the moment, I have no idea where I would find them.  I'm sure I'll be back to you for further information.   :005:
My music blog:  If you just Stand There and Play, is it worth listening to?

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Russianrob on July 01, 2019, 07:17:19 AM
Not sure how relevant the actual sport is in relation to patriotism.The English will support England even if it were Tiddlywinks.However the Welsh and sweaties will be wanting a USA win!

Who cares what the welsh and sweaties think, England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 are in the semis, whereas they are nowhere as usual.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Andy S

I think the standard is very good. There aren't enough levels to-develop yet. It will be ever better