Main Menu

It could be worse......

Started by BigbadBillyMcKinley, July 01, 2019, 11:30:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Statto

Quote from: SG on July 02, 2019, 07:54:22 AM
Quote from: Statto on July 01, 2019, 01:42:37 PM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 01, 2019, 01:14:24 PM
The Venky family purchased Blackburn Rovers in 2010 for £23m and then took it down from the Premier League. I doubt it will recover soon.

They're fine now. Mid-table championship club, which is their natural level.

Only after 9 years of turmoil, protests etc. Hardly a ringing endorsement of their ownership. No supporters should have to endure that

It's 8 years since they were relegated and if you're going to call that "hell" despite them just having enjoyed a promotion season, then we've just had 6 years of "hell" as well. We both started as stable PL clubs, were both the laughing stock of English football at several points, and go into next season as Championship clubs aspiring to be promoted.

Also to be clear, I'm not seeking to "endorse" the Venkies. They're terrible owners, probably the worst in the league. So actually my point is more that these sorts of threads where we say "oh look, the Khans have done slightly better than the worst owners in the league" are hardly a "ringing endorsement" of the Khans. In politics they call this sort of thing "whataboutism"

Statto

Quote from: DevonFFC on July 02, 2019, 08:08:43 AM
Quote from: Statto on July 01, 2019, 01:42:37 PM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 01, 2019, 01:14:24 PM
The Venky family purchased Blackburn Rovers in 2010 for £23m and then took it down from the Premier League. I doubt it will recover soon.

They're fine now. Mid-table championship club, which is their natural level.

Where would our natural level be and what is your rational?

Not really sure of the relevance but FWIW Probably the next level up, sonewhere from a very good Championship club to a stable PL club depending on how well/poorly we're run. With the rationale vis-a-vis Blackburn that we're based in London and as a consequence generally more attractive to players, gate receipts (per fan) are higher, we've a larger area to draw fans from when we do well, much nicer ground, more international exposure etc.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on July 02, 2019, 09:11:42 AM

It's 8 years since they were relegated and if you're going to call that "hell" despite them just having enjoyed a promotion season, then we've just had 6 years of "hell" as well. We both started as stable PL clubs, were both the laughing stock of English football at several points, and go into next season as Championship clubs aspiring to be promoted.

Also to be clear, I'm not seeking to "endorse" the Venkies. They're terrible owners, probably the worst in the league. So actually my point is more that these sorts of threads where we say "oh look, the Khans have done slightly better than the worst owners in the league" are hardly a "ringing endorsement" of the Khans. In politics they call this sort of thing "whataboutism"

No one is giving the Khans a "ringing endorsement", but Shahid Khan is providing the best financial backing available to any Championship team. The post proposes "It could be worse", which is true and doesn't disagree with "it could be better" which is also true, but it is a voice of sanity to make sure any changes proposed have the desired effect. I am sure the safest change is improving the recruitment team reporting to Tony Khan, adding quality scouts and sacking ones that have frequently misjudged players.

Statto

Quote from: BigbadBillyMcKinley on July 02, 2019, 10:33:41 PM
https://www.planetfootball.com/quick-reads/the-stats-to-show-how-far-newcastle-have-declined-under-mike-ashley/

One of those stats really should be that they've just finished this season in exactly the same position (13th) they finished the season before Ashley's takeover

Shame we can't say the same

David I

Newcastle  relegated twice in 12 years under Ashley
V
Fulham relegated twice in 4 years under the Khans.

Newcastle still in the Prem!!

Yeah... it could be worse.... FOR Newcastle.

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Ask a Newcastle support who they'd rather have.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

The Rational Fan

Quote from: David I on July 03, 2019, 10:46:05 PM
V

Newcastle supporters contributed £38 million revenue when they are in the Championship (matchday and commercial) and Fulham supporters contributed less than £18 million (all revenue not including premier league parchate payments).

An extra £20million a year goes a long way in the Championship, even if not spent well. Maybe Fan revenue could be the biggest difference in fortunates between the clubs.

RaySmith

Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 04, 2019, 01:10:52 AM
V

Newcastle supporters contributed £38 million revenue when they are in the Championship (matchday and commercial) and Fulham supporters contributed less than £18 million (all revenue not including premier league parchate payments).

An extra £20million a year goes a long way in the Championship, even if not spent well. Maybe Fan revenue could be the biggest difference in fortunates between the clubs.

Also has a big effect on FFP limits doesn't it?

The Rational Fan

Quote from: RaySmith on July 04, 2019, 02:38:54 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 04, 2019, 01:10:52 AM
V

Also has a big effect on FFP limits doesn't it?

Well, a simple calculation would say Newcastle could spend £60 million more over three years, but Mike Ashley is always planning for his next relegation within FFP rules and making sure he can provide a massive war chest to pump into the Newcastle United squad whenever relegated.

Newcastle's last season in the championship had a combined "operating expenses, amorization and impairment" of £176 million, compare that to Fulham's last season in the Championship where our "operating expenses, amorization and impairment" were £72 million (still one of the bigger spenders in the Championship).

toshes mate

Ultimately competitive football is not about shipping eighty plus goals in thirty eight games just because your recruitment team is not fit for purpose.  When your recruitment is fit for purpose but you end up relegated for other reasons (e.g. just not being good enough to get the points required for safety) then that is less hard to take.  FFC have just suffered the most ignominious of seasons where it has been hard to find just one thread to hold onto for what is to come and sense optimism.  We no longer have a coach who has demonstrated his ability to lead and show that glimpses of better things are possible.  Newcastle have also lost a good coach, but, for the moment, are still in the PL.  We have not corrected our errors at recruitment level and seem en route to compound them and the clock is already ticking down.

I am not sure the comparisons with Newcastle are anything other than choosing which of two poisons is the less painful a death.  Tame Khan Jnr and FFC could go places but, as I have said before, only if our head coach shows he can work the oracle and perform miracles.  It is a lot to put on SP's shoulders.   

SuffolkWhite

Whether your pro or anti Khan it could be far worse imo, Clay/Bulstrode anyone!? Even the Hahaha's amongst other teams are in a worse position than us.

My two penny's.

Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

The Rational Fan

Quote from: SuffolkWhite on July 04, 2019, 06:50:28 AM
Whether your pro or anti Khan it could be far worse imo, Clay/Bulstrode anyone!? Even the Hahaha's amongst other teams are in a worse position than us.

My two penny's.

Yes, we have had the worse ever owners of any Football Club, and that's a real achievement when another club had owner that went to jail for trying to burn down his clubs stadium.