watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

First XI vs Second XI Balance

Started by The Rational Fan, July 08, 2019, 03:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Rational Fan

This season is a marathon needing 27 wins, the team with the most depth is going to have a massive advantage.

Our First XI is more valuable than the other 23 First XIs, but our "Second XI + Backups" are only more valuable than 10 First XIs.

Value of First XI (according to Transfermarkt)
1   Fulham    £146.25M (with Christie and Kamara lowest value at £3.5m)
2   Huddersfield   £78.75M
3   Stoke on Trent   £72.90M
4   WBA   71.55
5   Cardiff   58.05
6   Leeds United   56.70
7   Middlesbough   54.00
8   Swansea City   42.30
9   Brentford FC   41.85
10   Bristol City   39.15
11   Nottingham Forest   36.90
12   Hull City   34.43
13   Derby County   33.75
14   Reading FC   24.44
15   Sheffield Wednesday   23.85
16   Blackburn Rovers   22.28
17   Preston North End   19.80
18   Birmingham City   19.04
19   Queens Park Rangers   16.25
20   Wigan Athletic   11.66
21   Millwall FC   11.48
22   Barnsley FC   6.21
23   Luton Town   5.99
24   Charlton Athletic   4.10

Value of Second XI + Backups (according to Transfermarkt)
1   Stoke on Trent   £45.00M
2   Leeds United   £30.92M (a team that burnt out last season partly due to lack of depth)
3   Fulham    £24.08M (with Fabri, Ream, McDonald, Johansen and Kebano being only player above 2.5m)
4   Huddersfield   21.83
5   Cardiff   20.84
6   Nottingham Forest   15.03
7   Swansea City   13.82
8   Middlesbough   12.87
9   Derby County   12.29
10   Bristol City   10.04
11   WBA   8.55
12   Reading FC   7.43
13   Preston North End   7.38
14   Sheffield Wednesday   7.36
15   Brentford FC   5.90
16   Hull City   5.27
17   Blackburn Rovers   4.86
18   Birmingham City   4.59
19   Millwall FC   3.74
20   Queens Park Rangers   3.49
21   Wigan Athletic   1.80
22   Barnsley FC   1.53
23   Luton Town   1.17
24   Charlton Athletic   0.09

I wonder if we have over invested in the first XI and need to invest more in the bench/squad.

Is the First XI strong enough : Betts; Christie, Mawson, MLM, Bryan; Anguissa, Seri, Cairney; Kamara, Mitro, R.Sess?

Is the Second XI strong enough: Fabri; S.Sess/Fossey, Odoi/Djola, Ream, Edun/Dramah; Cisse, McDonald, Johansen; Atiyie, Fonte, Kebano?

Thoughts?

Facts Not Fiction

We use our loans tactically to bolster the squad every year. I don't see any change this summer.

Statto

Hmmm... Many on here would pick Johansen over Seri, and if you switch Seri into the second XI I suspect we have the most valuable, or very close to the most valuable, second XI all of a sudden

RaySmith

Seri is a bit of an unknown quantity in the Championship - if he remains with us. But we know how important
Johansen can be, and I'm very glad he is back.

A player I'm surprised to see return is Fonte -he didn't seem up to Championship football to me, but I know he has his fans.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on July 08, 2019, 08:42:58 AM
Hmmm... Many on here would pick Johansen over Seri, and if you switch Seri into the second XI I suspect we have the most valuable, or very close to the most valuable, second XI all of a sudden

Seri or Johansen get injuried really doesn't a huge difference as long as one is available, but that is really not the case in other positions.

The real question with Second XI is what happens if Kamara, Mitrovoic and Atiye are unavailable to play Reading at Home. Will we missout on 3 points?

Fulham Joe

Stoke on Trent? when did that happen?

ALG01

I wouldn't and do not draw conclusions because I think our squad remains very unbalanced with a number of players way over priced.

If we stay as we are I am not optimistic.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: ALG01 on July 08, 2019, 11:22:58 AM
I wouldn't and do not draw conclusions because I think our squad remains very unbalanced with a number of players way over priced.

Seri played better than Cairney in 16/17 and 17/18. Cairney played much better than Seri in 18/19. They are the about same age so who knows who is worth more.

I Ronic

I think most of us thought the spend last year was going to be enough to keep us up. This year it works against us as a few teams will want to take lumps out of us. So SP will have his work cut out galvanizing this squad into a team willing to stick together and fight for each other.
If he can get that team ethic then we have a chance.

Sting of the North

Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 08, 2019, 11:46:07 AM

Seri played better than Cairney in 16/17 and 17/18. Cairney played much better than Seri in 18/19. They are the about same age so who knows who is worth more.

This comparison for 16/17 and 17/18 is basically completely irrelevant, given that Seri played for another team in another league. TC played for Fulham in the Championship. Only semi relevant comparison is last season, which is also not completely fair since Seri was in a new club and country whereas TC was already comfortable with the city and (some) teammates. I also don't agree at all that TC played much better. Both had some good games and showed in glimpses that they are good enough for the PL. Both also had several not very good games. 

ALG01

Quote from: Sting of the North on July 08, 2019, 12:15:32 PM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 08, 2019, 11:46:07 AM

And TC started injured and got lumbbered with a second rate manager that played him out of position.

This comparison for 16/17 and 17/18 is basically completely irrelevant, given that Seri played for another team in another league. TC played for Fulham in the Championship. Only semi relevant comparison is last season, which is also not completely fair since Seri was in a new club and country whereas TC was already comfortable with the city and (some) teammates. I also don't agree at all that TC played much better. Both had some good games and showed in glimpses that they are good enough for the PL. Both also had several not very good games.

Vinnieffc

Quote from: Statto on July 08, 2019, 08:42:58 AM
Very good point. Lies, damn lies and statistics.

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using Tapatalk

Nero

We wont play all the second xl in one match so it how you mix it up is the question.

filham

I wouldn't put too much faith in the monetary value of our players, I guess Fonte is valued at a higher price than johansen but I know which one I would give the highest playing value.