watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

African Cup of Nations

Started by aaronmcguigan, July 21, 2019, 10:52:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aaronmcguigan

I hope and expect players like Cisse and Djalo do stay, even for selfish reasons that it allows players like Harris, Edun and O Riley to get out on loan. We have a group of players who may not set the world alight but can be good squad players . Cisse came in out of the cold last season in a league above the league he was bought for and done well.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on July 21, 2019, 12:17:31 PM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 21, 2019, 11:40:20 AM
Quote from: GJB on July 21, 2019, 11:35:46 AM
Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on July 21, 2019, 11:19:35 AM
I wouldn't bank on Zambo being a regular, unless he shows more Hunger, Desire, Appetite, Application, Work rate, and Commitment, and he is willing to play within the framework of the team, as well as punching his weight. Then maybe he will become a regular first choice, and I hope he does, but it's far from nailed on. Football in reality is not the picture stats paint.

From the Liverpool match in mid-March till the end of the season, Parker started Anguissa and kept him on for almost the full 90 minutes in every game. If, as suggested, Anguissa has had a good Afcon tournament, surely he'd slot straight back into the team under the same manager where he left off from last season?

Zambo may have started many games but did he ever finish them with a full 90 minutes, and that needs to be addressed.

Agree to disagree with all your critiques of Zambo except for one.  Work rate. If you fix that no one complains about desire, application and commitment because...well, you don't have a player looking like he's tired on the pitch (both mentally and physically)

As stated...Parker rates him.   And I think his problems of last year can be addressed by the coaching staff.

1. Conditioning.    He played decent up until the first 50 minutes of the games he started...then he fell off a cliff making poor passes, not tracking back..holding onto the ball too long.  A box to box midfielder can't get tired, and Andre got tired a lot.   Which leads to #2...

2. Playing out of position.   He's not a holding mid.    He's a box to box.  Chambers was much better at the role than Anguissa.   

Zambo's injury also slowed his development.   

We'll see I guess.    Personally I think he's better than both MacDonald and Stefjo, so it's a guarantee he starts.

I think Anguissa is the potential the best midfielder we have and much better than KMac or Stefjo, but I don't think he should start the first game.

Firstly, we need at least four midfielders rotating this season, as I don't see any of them (Anguissa, KMac, StefJo and Cairney) playing 4,000 miunutes. The rotation of KMac, Stefjo and Cairney seems like the logically first rotation, but the rotations should be planned carefully throughout season also to reduce injuries.

Secondly, Anguissa has never done well in the first half of the season of a new league and Championship is quite different to Premier League. I see no reason to risk Anguissa in a game against Barnsley when we know KMac, StefJo and Cairney with a fit team around them should get three points.

Thirdly, I disagree about his ideal position, to me it is still very confusing, because Bielsa saw him as a sole DM but he has never played there so it may just take time to adjust to that position, best to come on for Stefjo some games and KMac other games getting comfortable with both positions.

Fourthly, I am really unsure who is the better partner for Anguissa out of Stefjo or KMac, playing as subs helps establish that and reestablish the Stefjo and KMac connection which maybe required throughout the season frequently in tougher games than Barnsley. I feel Anguissa and KMac will be best if our defense has few injuiries as it provides more cover; where as if Mitrovoic was injured Anguissa and Stefjo seem a better combination due to improved mobility.

Fifth, KMac and StefJo look like they could benefit from game time early in the season and Anguissa looks concentrating on fitness, learning the league and learning sole DM maybe most useful. Anguissa missing preseason means we should be most careful with him not getting an injury the early part of the season.

Lastly, Anguissa would make an incredible sub with one of KMac and Stefjo killing themselves each game chasing balls in the first 60 minutes. Somehow I think that KMac, StefJo and Cairney would be our best combination to beat Barnsley and Blackburn; but feel Anguissa's extra quality is more useful against later games like Cardiff and WBA.

RaySmith

Cisse always seemed a decent player whenever he was called on.
Djalo could also play a role.
I suppose it depends on squad numbers, with some going on loan. We seems a strong squad for the Championship though.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: mlangstrom on July 21, 2019, 02:30:10 PM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 21, 2019, 12:48:02 PM
Quote from: JoelH5 on July 21, 2019, 12:24:05 PM
I actually think Anguissa will be immense in the league and think he's way too good for the Championship. It can take a while for players to get used to English football for the first time. I genuinely think he will be in the Champ Team of the Season.

Anguissa should be aiming to finish his championship with nothing less than a promotion and player of the season.

I still hope we play KMac and Stefjo until the transfer window is closed, because we need four in-form central midfielders for a marathon season.

I would even say that we need 5, in addition to the youngsters. Feeling convinced that Cisse will leave and that another CM will join in the next couple of weeks.

It seems the deal we got for Seri is pretty similar to that we took for Knockaert. I'm really not sure that Seri wouldn't help us more than Knockaert long-term. Seri offers us midfield cover and Cairney can offer right wing cover when required. I guess Kebano may have to cover Cairney if others are unavailable. We have a stronger attack now, but midfield depth is poorer.