watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Other Championship Teams

Started by GJB, July 27, 2019, 08:08:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GJB

Out of interest, I'm wondering what fans on this forum think on the following two matters regarding teams other than Fulham in the Championship: Which three Championship teams do people think have the best squad depth? Which three Championship teams do people think have the best back four?

Jims Dentist

For squad depth I would go WBA, Cardiff and Huddersfield.

GJB

Quote from: Jims Dentist on July 28, 2019, 01:19:05 PM
For squad depth I would go WBA, Cardiff and Huddersfield.

Interesting, for squad depth I agree with WBA and think with Bilic as their manager they could have a strong season. I would switch in Leeds or Nottingham Forest for Huddersfield, since I don't really rate part of Hudds' first team, let alone their reserves.

JimmyConway

Cardiff - West Brom - Middboro

Best back four on paper?  Cardiff - Middboro - Bristol City

Jim©

I think Manga leaving Cardiff is huge, he's been holding them together for a few seasons now and not convinced Flint is the answer.

GJB

Quote from: Jim© on July 29, 2019, 11:21:27 AM
I think Manga leaving Cardiff is huge, he's been holding them together for a few seasons now and not convinced Flint is the answer.

My friend who's a Boro supporter agrees with you - isn't sad at all that Flint is leaving!

GJB

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49102714

This poll is by no means a prediction and certainty of what will happen this season, but it is interesting that non-biased BBC reporters see Fulham as the main contender with Leeds for gaining a top 2 position.

"Leeds and Fulham tipped for top two in Championship
Leeds received the most selections (15) from our panel of reporters, closely followed by relegated Fulham (12). One person predicted Leeds would win the play-offs, but all other votes for those two clubs were for top-two finishes.

Cardiff, another team to drop out of the top flight last season, and West Bromwich Albion got six votes apiece - both receiving two as champions and four as play-off winners."

Four people tipped Stoke and Bristol City for promotion this season, while Brentford (three), Nottingham Forest (two), Derby and QPR (both one) also received votes."

Nero

Quote from: GJB on July 29, 2019, 07:06:30 PM
Quote from: Jim© on July 29, 2019, 11:21:27 AM

My friend who's a Boro supporter agrees with you - isn't sad at all that Flint is leaving!

plus there best player has gone back from his loan spell, but they don't need talent just the ability to get corners and free kicks

Jim©

Leeds received the most selections (15) from our panel of reporters, closely followed by relegated Fulham (12). One person predicted Leeds would win the play-offs, but all other votes for those two clubs were for top-two finishes.

Don't forget that most pundits (and many of us fans) were tipping Fulham for great things last season- astute signings, progressive manager, holding onto key players etc etc etc. Sounds worryingly familiar!

west kowloon white

Non biased BBC reporters/ journalists no longer exist ( but we are forced to pay their salaries once they have quit the Guardian)

west kowloon white

WBA,Cardiff,Leeds,Nottingham,Brentford,QPR for top six god forbid- perhaps Derby- haven't noticed what they've been up o.

GJB

Quote from: Jim© on July 30, 2019, 10:35:59 AM

Don't forget that most pundits (and many of us fans) were tipping Fulham for great things last season- astute signings, progressive manager, holding onto key players etc etc etc. Sounds worryingly familiar!

You're absolutely correct - nobody can predict what will happen when the season kicks off. What we can take from this though is that these pundits and reporters clearly think the Fulham squad in comparison to other squads has quality. Given how often I meet a Fulham fan outside of SW6, I'm guessing it's not 12 optimistic Fulham fans all happening to be working at the BBC who have taken part in the poll either.

A difference this season may be that the players we have in our team are proven championship quality, whereas last season, our squad had a large number of players who were playing in the toughest league in the world for the first ever time.

GJB

Quote from: west kowloon white on July 30, 2019, 06:51:44 PM
WBA,Cardiff,Leeds,Nottingham,Brentford,QPR for top six god forbid- perhaps Derby- haven't noticed what they've been up o.

Since Lampard has left, Derby have lost the majority of their best players from last season, since they were mostly loanees from top clubs.

I understand QPR have made a lot of signings, but is the quality of each individual signing that great? A few may be decent, but in general I'm personally unsure.

Carborundum

Brentford seem to have a bottomless reservoir of capable players, able to play to a pattern that works for the team.  They have had for years.  Their approach probably has a ceiling in terms of how well they can do, but they have enjoyed a golden era for a club of their size. 

Logic tells me WBA, Cardiff and Leeds should be strong.  Intuition leads me to think Luton could be more than comfortable. 

Skatzoffc

WBA, Cardiff, Leeds, Bristol City, Huddersfield and us top 6 for me.
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !