watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

DON'T TURN YOUR BACK

Started by Jims Dentist, July 28, 2019, 01:07:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jims Dentist

It saddens me to see a professional footballer turn his back on the ball.

Yesterday Odoi did this twice;
In the build up to WHU's goal he did not face up to Cresswell's cross and then later on the edge of the box he shied away from blocking Antonio's shot.

Our "captain" also appeared to do similar when Lanzini scored.

Yes, this was "only" a friendly, but I have seen many similar instances in competitive games (from Carney in particular).

If it was Allardyce's or Warnock's players doing this there would likely be repercussions.

Mince n Tatties

He still can't get it in his head sometimes about showing them down the line,let's them come inside.
He's no full back imo.

bog

I will never forget the last league game of our promotion season at Birmingham City. We had just scored through TC and had jumped into life, then, Brum attacked on the break, and Odoi just stood off their player as if he had horrendous body odour and allowed him a free run at our goal and they made it 3-1. I just do not rate him as a defender.   :doh:

092.gif

Nero

Quote from: bog on July 28, 2019, 04:03:31 PM
I will never forget the last league game of our promotion season at Birmingham City. We had just scored through TC and had jumped into life, then, Brum attacked on the break, and Odoi just stood off their player as if he had horrendous body odour and allowed him a free run at our goal and they made it 3-1. I just do not rate him as a defender.   :doh:

092.gif

He was the same all last season, I wonder how he ever became a defender, with him in the team its no wonder we never keep a clean sheet

Woolly Mammoth

Yes it is cause for concern, we just haven't got the quality at the back to even think we can keep a clean sheet, let alone any depth. Once again there has not been enough concentration on the defence which includes the balance, let alone the height in accordance with physical presence. It just makes you wonder who really is running the show, because we have been here before.
But I live in hope that this will be addressed before the end of the window.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

SG

Don't hold your breath.
As well as turning their backs, and not showing them down the line the full backs are rarely close enough to prevent the wide player putting a cross in. Never understand why they don't do more to block the crosses. All these things are the basics of defence. And don't get me started on Odoi diving in and ending up on his arse - stay on your feet man

New Kid on the Block

And the scapegoat of the season, with a new world record of the season not even started is.............Denis Odoi.

SG

My criticism is aimed at all of our full backs, Christie, Bryan, Odoi in terms of basic defending so not scapegoating him. Reference the diving in - look at his sending off at Wembley. Defenders need to stay on their feet

filham

I think Odoi always puts in a good shift but compared with our promotion season the standard of our fullbacks has dropped off and I suspect they will be targeted by opponents this season.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: New Kid on the Block on July 28, 2019, 06:05:12 PM
And the scapegoat of the season, with a new world record of the season not even started is.............Denis Odoi.

Stop acting like a Drama Queen.

keithh

hovewhite

[/quote Christ it don't take you lot long to get on players backs,hope I'm not sat next to you lot at the cottage!

HobGoblin

Doubt many on here would prefer to sit with anyone else on here. This forum is way to argumentative. add a few beers and it'd be carnage

snarks

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on July 28, 2019, 02:08:49 PM
He still can't get it in his head sometimes about showing them down the line,let's them come inside.
He's no full back imo.

As has been mentioned before you sometimes show them inside as that's where your strength is with the CB's

Nero

Quote from: snarks on July 28, 2019, 10:19:07 PM
Quote from: Mince n Tatties on July 28, 2019, 02:08:49 PM
He's no full back imo.

As has been mentioned before you sometimes show them inside as that's where your strength is with the CB's

Have you seen our CBs

Lighthouse

Don't turn your back. As in football as in life. When your back is turned they will stick the knife in. 
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: HobGoblin on July 28, 2019, 10:13:44 PM
Doubt many on here would prefer to sit with anyone else on here. This forum is way to argumentative. add a few beers and it'd be carnage

and add a few women as well please, and it will be Elysium, thank you.

Never forget your Roots.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: hovewhite on July 28, 2019, 09:18:45 PM
[/quote Christ it don't take you lot long to get on players backs,hope I'm not sat next to you lot at the cottage!

No you are safe, you will be sat next to me. Rest assured there is no Scapegoat, just an escaped Goat.

Never forget your Roots.

Roberty

It could be better but it's real life and not a fantasy