more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

If Sess stays

Started by Benny, July 30, 2019, 10:09:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benny

Will he get in the team?
With Ivan Cavaleiro & Anthony Knockaert both signed and we know Sess is sh*t at LB so won't replace Joe Bryan
I think both our new signings are better than him, not a bad option off the bench I guess

The Rational Fan

My rough calculations are that if we keep R.Sess we won't compile with FFP and will end up having to do something like sell Tom Cairney to balance the books. Not selling R.Sess would be truly horrific don't fanasir about it.

Marcel_Gecov

Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 30, 2019, 11:32:10 PM
My rough calculations are that if we keep R.Sess we won't compile with FFP and will end up having to do something like sell Tom Cairney to balance the books. Not selling R.Sess would be truly horrific don't fanasir about it.

How do you figure with parachute payments, getting large wages off the books, only acquiring loan-tobuys, etc?

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Marcel_Gecov on July 30, 2019, 11:47:37 PM

How do you figure with parachute payments, getting large wages off the books, only acquiring loan-tobuys, etc?

Seri and Anguissa wages are off the books but the bigger cost their amortisation is paid by us.

Andy S

You don't have a clue how much we are charging clubs for Serri or Anguissa. I suggest that until you put up proof of that it is pie in the sky. FFP is always over a three year period anyway

Milo

He won't get in will he.. realistically. Unless he fancies giving RB a go?

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Andy S on July 31, 2019, 12:06:07 AM
You don't have a clue how much we are charging clubs for Serri or Anguissa. I suggest that until you put up proof of that it is pie in the sky. FFP is always over a three year period anyway

The newspapers say Seri's loan fee is £1.35 million, so as Seri is on a four year contract if Seri transfer fee in 2018 was above 5.4 million then we are paying for him still.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Milo on July 31, 2019, 12:19:36 AM
He won't get in will he.. realistically. Unless he fancies giving RB a go?

Or...unless Scott Parker thinks he plays better with Mitro and Cairney than Ivan does (possible).   Don't be so quick to write off Ryan on that left side.   He had as good a year as Ivan in 17/18...and he's use to playing with this squad.

At worst, he can slot in as a LB/LW bench player that can on his day be as good as the players he's covering for.

St Eve

Quote from: Benny on July 30, 2019, 10:09:53 PM
Will he get in the team?
With Ivan Cavaleiro & Anthony Knockaert both signed and we know Sess is sh*t at LB so won't replace Joe Bryan
I think both our new signings are better than him, not a bad option off the bench I guess

You can't be serious. We have hardly seen our 2 new players on loan. Sess did everything 2 seasons ago. Won every award. Values of 50 million were being thrown around. He is now 2 years wiser and stronger and only 19. Keeping TC, Mitro and Sess would be outstanding business. Throw in AK, who I think will surprise everyone, and the 2 new guys and we have a pretty good team

the nutflush

Would love to see Sess settle at left back with the new guys in up forward. The problem last season was one week he was left back, next he was a winger and the following he was riding the bench. Just needed a bit of continuity. He's way better than Bryan. Let him settle in the one position with one role and let him play football.

Statto

Quote from: The Rational Fan on July 31, 2019, 12:00:48 AM

Seri and Anguissa wages are off the books but the bigger cost their amortisation is paid by us.

Wages for the pair will be about £7m off the books.

Amortisation I agree will be higher, probably around £10m but I suspect we're getting around half that in loan fees.

The residual £5m doesn't seem like an amount that would ruin us. We have a parachute payment (£50m?) on top of regular revenue (£20m?) and apparently our wage bill is now back down to £30m.

The loan fees for Knockaert and Cavaleiro will probably be roughly offset by the Elliott tribunal fee.

It's back-of-a-fag-packet stuff but I make that £35m left over so I can't see how we're skint.

Bill2

Could be foot in mouth time but I have a feeling that Spurs will not bid this window. They will wait until the next window or next summer and hope to pick him up for nothing.
If that is the case I hope he goes elsewhere and not to Spurs as it shows the sort of club they are, multi million pound club  but will treat the smaller clubs with utter contempt and attempt to use their attraction as a top 4 one to get all the up and coming best players for nothing.
It is about time the FA introduced rules to help the small clubs get decent deals for their good young players.

Twig

To those saying Sess will not get a starting berth. I'd say two things; firstly you haven't seen Cav or Knock play yet (at Fulham) and secondly you have short memories.

It would not surprise me if Sess establishes himself as our preferred wide left starter leaving Cav, Knock and AK (plus Ayite and Kebano) to fight for the right sided berth.

Writing this reminds me how daft our transfer policy is. We currently have six decent players fighting for two places but in defence.......Woeful.

Twig

Quote from: Statto on July 31, 2019, 09:16:49 AM

Amortisation I agree will be higher, probably around £10m but I suspect we're getting around half that in loan fees.

The residual £5m doesn't seem like an amount that would ruin us. We have a parachute payment (£50m?) on top of regular revenue (£20m?) and apparently our wage bill is now back down to £30m.

The loan fees for Knockaert and Cavaleiro will probably be roughly offset by the Elliott tribunal fee.

It's back-of-a-fag-packet stuff but I make that £35m left over so I can't see how we're skint.

Thank goodness you are back Mike. Some intelligent calculations not alarmist nonsense.

Statto

Quote from: Twig on July 31, 2019, 09:58:33 AM

Thank goodness you are back Mike. Some intelligent calculations not alarmist nonsense.

Have you genuinely mistaken me for MJG or are you being ironic?

MJG knows more than I do about FFP/club finances and he's generally more cynical than me about how much we can/should spend. I suspect he'll have a different veiw (although probably still closer to mine than to the Rational Fan's)

FFC1987

Quote from: Twig on July 31, 2019, 09:56:34 AM
To those saying Sess will not get a starting berth. I'd say two things; firstly you haven't seen Cav or Knock play yet (at Fulham) and secondly you have short memories.

It would not surprise me if Sess establishes himself as our preferred wide left starter leaving Cav, Knock and AK (plus Ayite and Kebano) to fight for the right sided berth.

Writing this reminds me how daft our transfer policy is. We currently have six decent players fighting for two places but in defence.......Woeful.

I don't rate him currently ahead of Cav and knockaert simply because all 3 are very different players but that's a wonderful luxury for Scotty to have. I see all 3 being part of a rotation and pending form we'll see who the big game players will be. I'll go out on a whim and say I think it'll be Knockaert and Cav but that's to no disservice of Ryan who will be chomping at the bit for a starting place.

My reasoning is, I just see Knockaert, with any form, as unplayable even to some EPL teams and Cav, with his pace will be absolutely essential. Sess for me doesn't have that cutting edge quality that the other two have ie raw pace (Cav), or the ability to score from anywhere (Knockaert) BUT he does have the ability to find a yard in the box and anticipate a goal ahead of the other two. Its a tough one but again, that's not fickle, or short memory syndrome, I've just seen a lot from our signings to suggest they could be a massive asset next season. That also goes for Sess who, albeit, all things considered, struggled last season, for lots of reasons, some not his fault, may find it hard to be a cemented no.1 spot on team sheet every week.

Two Ton Ted

He was top scorer in our promotion season. I'd give him a start in the centre alongside Cairney
Never ever bloody anything ever.

toshes mate

If we have seriously misread FFP then we are in trouble, period.  But I don't see how that is possible.  I agree with those who say our defensive transfer tactics have been woeful when you consider the three years we have had to sort it out.  I would also argue that we got by in our two more successful Championship years by virtue of players playing really well in a good spirited team via a really decent coaching regime.  Sessegnon, as a younger player with less experience benefited from being a part of that spirited side especially when we have decent backs behind him and he could exploit his ability to be in the right place at the right time.  He suffered more than most last season because of his youth and because it wasn't a team around him - it was a bunch of misfits.  He suffered because only one of the managers from last season actually knew how to handle him via experience of coaching a team to attain promotion in the Championship.  If SP can emulate that then Sess will be an excellent tactical inclusion or substitution on left or right with Knockaert or Cavaleiro.  They offer something different but don't underestimate Sessegnon based solely on last season.

Twig

Quote from: Statto on July 31, 2019, 10:05:57 AM
Quote from: Twig on July 31, 2019, 09:58:33 AM

Have you genuinely mistaken me for MJG or are you being ironic?

MJG knows more than I do about FFP/club finances and he's generally more cynical than me about how much we can/should spend. I suspect he'll have a different veiw (although probably still closer to mine than to the Rational Fan's)

Oops, sorry Statto some sort of brain fart.  Still, it remains the fact that your post was more balanced and considered than rational's ill thought through statement.

grandad

Sess is on a par with Christie & Bryan as a FB. They are very poor at positional play. They  are unable to close down wingers. None of them a very good at crossing. The only place for Sess is as a second half sub for Cav or Knock
Where there's a will there's a wife