watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Strongest midfield 3?

Started by Facts Not Fiction, August 11, 2019, 09:11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Facts Not Fiction

After Arter's great performance, his place is the side surely is certain for now. Cairney will most likely never be dropped, so who plays along side?

IMO, in an easier game, such as yesterday, Johansen will add more to our attack and you can afford to put Arter in the deeper role. Tougher games, such as Huddersfield, I'd put Reed in for Johansen, then allow Arter to play the ball forward a bit more.

Overall, I can't see where McDonald fits. It's a shame after what he's done for the club, but his time in the side, for now at least, is over. He's just too slow, and can't cover the ground of the likes of Arter, Johansen and Reed.

Statto

Far too early to make comments on Reed for me, same obviously goes for Onomah

Against poor teams I'd go Arter, Cairney, Reid, like we did yesterday for 20 mins

Againt better teams, Arter, Johansen, Cairney

Arter will always be our deepest lying midfielder IMO. Doesn't seem like a box-to-box type at all to me.

McDonald can play on the many occasions Arter will be suspended!

GJB

Reed, Arter and Cairney for me - I think Arter goes forward too often to act as our DM if we were to play Arter, Johansen and Cairney.

I'd rather Reed in for Johansen to just sit in front of the defence giving Arter the freedom to defend when he needs to, but also attack knowing we have a player protecting our defence if the move breaks down

toshes mate

I still think the midfield needs a lot of work and will improve over time but it is still a long way from being cohesive and fluid.  Arter clearly made a difference but the end product simply wasn't there and that should be worrying.  Don't think we'll know a best midfield for a while yet. There were occasional signs of better ball retention with passing passages getting into double figures than at Barnsley but it still looked very hit and miss in as much as creating clear chances was concerned.  Not sure whether the problem is down to missing chemistry, misapplied or inappropriate tactics, or simply the system being coached. 

Knockaert's pace both in attack and when covering improved the right flank problem but the left flank still seems fragile with Bryan and Cavaleiro not really gelling as I hoped they would do.  Ream added calm at the back and should have sparked more movement in midfield but our opponents seemed to read the game much better than we did. 

SP has a lot of work to do.   

Skatzoffc

:plus one:

Cav didn't cover Bryan well and it showed in Blackburn's constant attacking down that flank.

Too early for me deciding Bobby Reed is better than Stefjo. Some games we will need the steel of Arter and Stefjo. Even Cairney looked stronger yesterday, maybe because Arter/Stefjo were dishing it back to Blackburn's strongarm fouling early on.

Tbf, Bobby Reed looked up for the tackle as well, but I feel he is better used as an attacking pairing with Mitro. This will force/hold teams back and keeps them off of us allowing us to control the game when leading.

Long way to go yet tho. Let's let the team gel for a few weeks and see how SP runs it. Looked ok yesterday and thought subs were good. Harrison looked very promising as a Def mid as well. I'd like to see more of him before we nail down who plays where. Think we have good options in midfield.

Coyw!
Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

colinwhite

All of the new players did well.Arter looks like avery good signing ,adding quicker passing , guile and knowhow to the side that has been lacking

hovewhite

Stick with arter,Stefan& TC v terriers.and we owe them 1 at there gaf!!

The Rational Fan

Quote from: hovewhite on August 11, 2019, 12:41:23 PM
Stick with arter,Stefan& TC v terriers.and we owe them 1 at there gaf!!

We should change slowly, we introduced new players too quickly last season. Arter, Stefjo and Cairney seems fine for the next four games until the international break. It's a long season we need to save KMac, Reed and Reid as we could lose players to injuries after a few games.

Twig

Quote from: colinwhite on August 11, 2019, 11:15:16 AM
All of the new players did well.Arter looks like avery good signing ,adding quicker passing , guile and knowhow to the side that has been lacking

I didn't think Cav did that well and there was far too little time left to assess the impact of the final substitution. I think Skatz gets it about spot on.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Skatzoffc on August 11, 2019, 11:08:22 AM
:plus one:

Cav didn't cover Bryan well and it showed in Blackburn's constant attacking down that flank.

Too early for me deciding Bobby Reed is better than Stefjo. Some games we will need the steel of Arter and Stefjo. Even Cairney looked stronger yesterday, maybe because Arter/Stefjo were dishing it back to Blackburn's strongarm fouling early on.

Tbf, Bobby Reed looked up for the tackle as well, but I feel he is better used as an attacking pairing with Mitro. This will force/hold teams back and keeps them off of us allowing us to control the game when leading.

Long way to go yet tho. Let's let the team gel for a few weeks and see how SP runs it. Looked ok yesterday and thought subs were good. Harrison looked very promising as a Def mid as well. I'd like to see more of him before we nail down who plays where. Think we have good options in midfield.

Coyw!

Parker has Arter/Stefjo/Cairney for three weeks with four important games, before two or three of them go on international duty, we don't need to find our best XI before then, we just need to get enough points to stay on-track for promotion (i.e. 7 points in the next four games), which can be achieved with the current lineup.

The international break is the perfect opportunity to focus on trying to integrate Harrison Reed and Bobby Reid into the team, to find if a better lineup can be achieved. It needs to be noted that Harry Arter knew this transfer was coming for months and Parker would have been talking to him about next season tactics and preparing him to join, other players wouldn't have that yet.