News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Where do you think we’ll finish? Almost ideal team (on paper)

Started by smallfulhamman, July 25, 2019, 02:23:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SP

Personally, I'm amazed no one has come in for Bryan, I think he's a great player.

Number Six

Quote from: SP on July 26, 2019, 01:53:37 PM
Personally, I'm amazed no one has come in for Bryan, I think he's a great player.

Keeps getting caught sleeping back post though!

ALG01

And on what basis is Bryan massively overrated?
[/quote]

I saw him play last season and in this seasons friendlies. On that basis.
His judgment as a defender is poor being very hesitant in committingf or backing off consequently leaving spaces for wingers (if I may still use that term) to attack or deliver a cross. His delivery when going forward is hardly spectacular. He IMO is moderately Ok but way worse than Targett or sess or malone who we had in the two championship seasons.

Facts Not Fiction

Quote from: ALG01 on July 26, 2019, 02:01:45 PM

And on what basis is Bryan massively overrated?

I saw him play last season and in this seasons friendlies. On that basis.
His judgment as a defender is poor being very hesitant in committingf or backing off consequently leaving spaces for wingers (if I may still use that term) to attack or deliver a cross. His delivery when going forward is hardly spectacular. He IMO is moderately Ok but way worse than Targett or sess or malone who we had in the two championship seasons.
[/quote]

Malone for all the good he did was a shocking defender at times.

Bristol fans were very high spoken of him, and even though he didn't have the greatest season in the PL, he was far from the worst.

He'll be one of the best next season.

SG

Top half at best at the moment. Strengthening the defence will take us into the Play offs. After that it is a lottery - a sending off here, an injury there and automatic promotion chances can be scuppered. Fate and luck play their part and none of us know how these two things are going to pan out

MJG

I have no issue with Bryan in the Championship. Some sites had him as the best LB in the Championship in 17/18
Hes the least of our problems.
Just the views of a long term fan

toshes mate

Quote from: ALG01 on July 26, 2019, 11:39:55 AM
Quote from: toshes mate on July 26, 2019, 10:48:27 AM
Quote from: ALG01 on July 26, 2019, 10:28:48 AM
I am vastly impressed by the optimism.
No full backs worthy of the name (I think Bryan is massively overated he is just OK but at best that), a potential sick note in Mawsom, MLM is nightmare waiting to happen. For us to do well we need S Sess to become a top RB immediately and maybe he will be, to get rid of anguissa (I know morst of you disagree but I am sure about this) we obtain another 'proper CB' and potentially another center forward but with the squad as it is lower half, possibly bottom 8. This does not appear to me to be a balanced squad. again.
The two new signings were good but it is a job half done.

When M Adams and M MacDionald took over, I knew instantly we were  in good hands but Scott has the same handicap as his predesessor, the squad is not right.
I largely agree with this but a part of me acknowledges that SP is the huge unknown in all this and I am keeping faith that he will know how to get players adapting to a regime that lives with the fear of being called not good enough by proving otherwise.  SJ managed to turn us around with some apparently fairly average players on board and I am hoping SP can do much the same.  But I do admit it is a big ask.

Even if my general analysis is a bit too downbeat for the optimistic ones and mawsom stays fir and anguissa turns into a committed world beater, we do not have the FBs of the quality we had in the two last seasons of the Championship and they were a massive part of those two campaigns.
The mention of full backs is my pet subject when it comes to the misdemeanours of a certain Mr Khan.  I argued against selling Malone; I railed at the stupidity of allowing Fredericks to run down his contract (and on the question of money to support his wage demands / destabilise Club wage policy, well wouldn't money on Fredericks have been a better spend than either Seri or Anguissa?); I argued for retention of Targett (again a better spend than Seri).  These are the serious flaws in TK's thinking demonstrating a lack of communication with his sidekicks in recruitment or his coaching staff or both.  Fit, feisty and fast full backs are essential to the modern game and yet we have wasted three opportunities to secure players for as long as we can possibly retain them.  We know where the mistakes are being made but we are absolutely powerless to change the thought process within the FFC hierarchy.

And as for the latest batch of TK's apologists who argue he isn't the only one to blame I do note they don't ever name others and tell us why they mitigate TK's lack of football intelligence. 

Jim©

Toshes Mate, depends if you want to have your pants pulled down over certain players:
Targett wanted to come supposedly, we were quoted £18m. For Targett? I personally think that Bryan is a much better athlete, better in the air and more solid in the tackle than Targett.
Fredericks was guaranteed Prem football and Prem wages at a time when we were just getting our act together in the championship.
Malone, as many said at the time, had that one great season with us, never replicated before or after again. I'd have questioned TK's sanity if he'd not taken the reputed £5.5m for him.

Deeping_white

Quote from: toshes mate on July 26, 2019, 03:10:53 PM
Quote from: ALG01 on July 26, 2019, 11:39:55 AM
Quote from: toshes mate on July 26, 2019, 10:48:27 AM
Quote from: ALG01 on July 26, 2019, 10:28:48 AM
I am vastly impressed by the optimism.
No full backs worthy of the name (I think Bryan is massively overated he is just OK but at best that), a potential sick note in Mawsom, MLM is nightmare waiting to happen. For us to do well we need S Sess to become a top RB immediately and maybe he will be, to get rid of anguissa (I know morst of you disagree but I am sure about this) we obtain another 'proper CB' and potentially another center forward but with the squad as it is lower half, possibly bottom 8. This does not appear to me to be a balanced squad. again.
The two new signings were good but it is a job half done.

When M Adams and M MacDionald took over, I knew instantly we were  in good hands but Scott has the same handicap as his predesessor, the squad is not right.
I largely agree with this but a part of me acknowledges that SP is the huge unknown in all this and I am keeping faith that he will know how to get players adapting to a regime that lives with the fear of being called not good enough by proving otherwise.  SJ managed to turn us around with some apparently fairly average players on board and I am hoping SP can do much the same.  But I do admit it is a big ask.

Even if my general analysis is a bit too downbeat for the optimistic ones and mawsom stays fir and anguissa turns into a committed world beater, we do not have the FBs of the quality we had in the two last seasons of the Championship and they were a massive part of those two campaigns.
The mention of full backs is my pet subject when it comes to the misdemeanours of a certain Mr Khan.  I argued against selling Malone; I railed at the stupidity of allowing Fredericks to run down his contract (and on the question of money to support his wage demands / destabilise Club wage policy, well wouldn't money on Fredericks have been a better spend than either Seri or Anguissa?); I argued for retention of Targett (again a better spend than Seri).  These are the serious flaws in TK's thinking demonstrating a lack of communication with his sidekicks in recruitment or his coaching staff or both.  Fit, feisty and fast full backs are essential to the modern game and yet we have wasted three opportunities to secure players for as long as we can possibly retain them.  We know where the mistakes are being made but we are absolutely powerless to change the thought process within the FFC hierarchy.

And as for the latest batch of TK's apologists who argue he isn't the only one to blame I do note they don't ever name others and tell us why they mitigate TK's lack of football intelligence. 

You want fast full backs but then also say you want Targett? He isn't and never will be quick, Bryan is much faster for starters.

ALG01

Quote from: SG on July 26, 2019, 03:00:56 PM
Top half at best at the moment. Strengthening the defence will take us into the Play offs. After that it is a lottery - a sending off here, an injury there and automatic promotion chances can be scuppered. Fate and luck play their part and none of us know how these two things are going to pan out

Even with slav we were massively lucky with injuries and suspensions ion the promotion season. The squad has no more depth now and we surely cannot be that lucky again.

MJG

Quote from: Jim© on July 26, 2019, 03:14:51 PM
Toshes Mate, depends if you want to have your pants pulled down over certain players:
Targett wanted to come supposedly, we were quoted £18m. For Targett? I personally think that Bryan is a much better athlete, better in the air and more solid in the tackle than Targett.
Fredericks was guaranteed Prem football and Prem wages at a time when we were just getting our act together in the championship.
Malone, as many said at the time, had that one great season with us, never replicated before or after again. I'd have questioned TK's sanity if he'd not taken the reputed £5.5m for him.
The Fredericks one would only possibly have been resolved by paying him PL wages in Jan 2018 when there was a big chance we were not going up. That would just be plain stupid.

Malone as you say had the season of his life, but his defending was still shocking...anyone want to mention his performace against Spurs?

Targett, at the time I would not have paid £20m and we moved on. Timing was eveything there and yes we could have dropped everything and  gone back but didnt. When he played against us did he do much?
Just the views of a long term fan

Dr Quinzel

Top 8 - Our biggest issues still haven't been sorted.

Fulham are currently like an 18 year old who has just moved doing their first trip around Tesco. They need meat, veg and toilet roll, but they've spent all their money on beer, crisps and cake.

Jim©

I know we're barely into the season, but wondered if peoples' opinions had changed at all since the transfer window closing, the first few games and Parker's management.
I'll stick with what said previous- not to make the playoffs with this squad would be huge underachievement, yet to see anyone (inc Leeds that people are fawning over) that looks scary.

GJB

Interesting Targett is still unable to break into a first team - looks like he's already playing second fiddle to Neil Taylor at Aston Villa.

toshes mate

I'll have a bite after just three games. 

The full backs are key positions and I note that our defensive left flank has been weaker than the right flank where Knockaert has made a significant difference.  I'll also stand up and say well done to Steven Sessegnon and ask him to show the kind of form he gave us on Friday for the rest of the season.  He has, perhaps, been a well kept secret.  I like Arter but I can see why he is and has been, football wise, looking for a more permanent home.  I hope he regains close to his best with Parker's assistance.  Ream has made a big difference at the back and if Mawson's knee holds out (and there is no reason why it shouldn't after some months of zero apparent aggravation) then the defence may be good enough with a possession minded midfield.  I think Reid and Reed are very positive additions and both look to be good professionals who'll not let the side down.  Onomah is a bit of an unknown, as in will he find his feet here and start climbing up the status ladder.  SP and MW seem to think he has it in him and I hope they are right.

And so it is the left flank that bothers me and I am mindful of how much aggro it has caused us in the past.  I still do not rank Bryan as being as good as Targett and I had a good laugh about the comments and opinions from others about the latter and indeed Malone (who is doing well with Derby).  I hoped he'd strike a good chord with Cavaleiro ahead of him but it hasn't, IMO, happened.

Bryan is very good at some things but spoils most of it by seeming to lack decision making ability when composure is what is required from him.  He hasn't changed since he has been here and so I am thinking it is something he struggles with at crucial times when a more composed player would take problems in their stride.  I hope he convinces me otherwise over the course of the season because that left flank is the one reason I don't think this team is going to be quite as successful as some seem to think.  But that is just my opinion and what do I know!   

Woolly Mammoth

No harm in having a stab at it for what it's worth I suppose. It's where we are in May 2020 that counts, not where we are now.
Far too early to make serious predictions, as a week in football is a long time.
But we are looking decent, and there are signs of a contented and happier dressing room which is crucial.
So it's looking encouraging, I will go no further than that at the moment.
There are so many challenges obstacles and ambushes at many grounds away from home.
No match is cut and dry, but I feel that injuries permitting, we have as good a chance as any team. As long as we can improve on our shortcomings.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Jim©

Quote from: toshes mate on August 19, 2019, 01:11:13 PM
I hoped he'd strike a good chord with Cavaleiro ahead of him but it hasn't, IMO, happened.
Bryan is very good at some things but spoils most of it by seeming to lack decision making ability when composure is what is required from him.  H

I'm still in shock people rave about Targett, I really am.
However Bryan's input into our two wins can't be understated (one assist, one exceptional bit of movement that backed the DF away on friday opening up the space for Cav to score). Though the same can be said for goals conceded- one game brushed aside and the other allowing the cross in far too easily (though would still have that down as Mawson error). Composure wise I'd have him up there with the best of them in this team, but I think he's being exposed by Cav's apparent unwillingness to track back. So, at the moment like Goldbaek and Finnan than we'd like!

However the rest of the side are looking pretty good and Arter is potentially the MF we've been after for some time- alleviating pressure on the 2 CBS by recycling the ball from them and a slightly more mobile protective shield in front of them.