watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Next 5 League Games.

Started by FFC1987, August 24, 2019, 10:41:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Mammoth

The next match is the only one that counts, which happens to be West Bromwich Albion at home. We must just concentrate on that one to win three points, no other match is of concern, just the next one. Forecasting is guess work for dreamers, just worry about the next match, because it's too late when that comes and goes.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Statto

Not at all worried about "the gap" from other teams until at least March. Would just concentrate on our own performance until then. Reckon we are about 2 pts off where we want to be if the target is automatic promotion.

Drawing away to Cardiff is more than acceptable.

MJG

Quote from: Statto on August 31, 2019, 02:14:31 PM
Not at all worried about "the gap" from other teams until at least March. Would just concentrate on our own performance until then. Reckon we are about 2 pts off where we want to be if the target is automatic promotion.

Drawing away to Cardiff is more than acceptable.
agree on that... Mine was ten points from these six games to be on target for 6th and 12 for 2nd.
Just the views of a long term fan

filham

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on August 24, 2019, 11:39:44 PM
No point in forecasting, it never works out the way it is expected. Just worry about the next game, which is the most important.
That is right, until we demonstrate that we are a free scoring force with a rock solid defence instead of a talented outfit with a pretty style of play anything can happen from one game to another.

Full concentration now on the West Brom game in two weeks time.

FFC1987

Fair enough. I subscribe to the one game at a time philosophy but I do think it's important to not allow teams to pull away early doors and get momentum. We'll see but with upcoming fixtures I think the gap will grow and that's a problem.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: FFC1987 on August 31, 2019, 02:33:23 PM
Fair enough. I subscribe to the one game at a time philosophy but I do think it's important to not allow teams to pull away early doors and get momentum. We'll see but with upcoming fixtures I think the gap will grow and that's a problem.

I agree with what you are saying, but as you know, it's all the more reason why we should concentrate on the next game, WBA will be no picnic. Stats and forecasts count for nothing when that whistle blows at ko.
I didn't see anyone forecast that we would have a player sent off at last nights game, where were all the self styled experts then, which proves there is no such thing as a Crystal Ball to see the future, a bit of fun maybe, but never take it seriously, you win points on the pitch, not by reading stats or looking into a crystal ball.

Never forget your Roots.

toshes mate

There is only one table I bother about and that is the final table.  So far as progress is concerned we need to be up there at two points a game or better by May and so you start worrying when your remaining games multiplied by three cannot help you to reach that points per game ratio.  At the moment we can still achieve 2.8 points per game ...

filham

Quote from: toshes mate on August 31, 2019, 03:59:32 PM
There is only one table I bother about and that is the final table.  So far as progress is concerned we need to be up there at two points a game or better by May and so you start worrying when your remaining games multiplied by three cannot help you to reach that points per game ratio.  At the moment we can still achieve 2.8 points per game ...
2.8 points per game will always be a little ore difficult if we lose or draw the next game, so we need 3 points from West Brom.

MJG

Well there you are, 6th after six games and on what I consider at least par for the opposition we have played. Yes 18 would be brilliant, 14 great, 12 good, but it's ten and in the mix this early on. Still lots to do but it's a solid start with potential to improve.

WindyCity

Quote from: The Rock on August 24, 2019, 11:16:05 PM
77 percent possession yet scalped on the day while the team is still learning their way should be pretty telling. Some difficult fixtures, but we have the talent and I think they have the confidence which is the key. This isn't Man City away kind of fixtures.

If FFC wants to continue to play the 'possession' game (77% loss/69% draw), then they had better come up with plans/plays/ways to attack much better in the forward third and create real scoring chances.  It almost seems as though teams are just backing off letting FFC accumulate possession time with no real threats involved.  Very frustrating.  One point secured in last two games when 6 should have been the expectation.

WindyCity

Quote from: One Martin Thomas on August 25, 2019, 07:25:01 AM
We'll definitely finish top 6

Really?  I don't see this as "definite".

FFC1987

Quote from: MJG on August 31, 2019, 05:20:36 PM
Well there you are, 6th after six games and on what I consider at least par for the opposition we have played. Yes 18 would be brilliant, 14 great, 12 good, but it's ten and in the mix this early on. Still lots to do but it's a solid start with potential to improve.

I'm kinda with you but this hasn't been a solid start at all. I'll grant you think we're on par but we'll have to agree to disagree on that too considering the fixtures on paper.

southwest6

Quote from: FFC1987 on August 31, 2019, 01:35:52 PM
'm still very concerned to be honest.

Slightly OTT... Not the start we were all expecting but as others have said on here, we are most definitely in the mix. This team will click. Just a matter of time now  :54:

MJG

Quote from: FFC1987 on September 01, 2019, 12:07:58 AM
Quote from: MJG on August 31, 2019, 05:20:36 PM

I'm kinda with you but this hasn't been a solid start at all. I'll grant you think we're on par but we'll have to agree to disagree on that too considering the fixtures on paper.
see I look at games like Barnsley as one on paper yes we should win three points. They are seen as being a bottom half side and my way of looking at the overall picture is that againt the bottom half of the table we should average 1.8 pts per game over the season to be 6th. So if we beat them at home we will be just below what's required. Againt another team a win and draw gives us four from that. So that's 7 from 4 games. Hence we are close to target. I play the big picture if you like and try not to panic every game things go wrong.

davew

I think it has been a reasonable start but not brilliant, we haven´t played any of the other 7 teams in the top 8 yet so we need to make a lot of improvements if we are seriously going to contend with getting in the play offs and yes I know we have only played 6 games!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

toshes mate

Quote from: WindyCity on August 31, 2019, 05:37:30 PM
Quote from: The Rock on August 24, 2019, 11:16:05 PM
77 percent possession yet scalped on the day while the team is still learning their way should be pretty telling. Some difficult fixtures, but we have the talent and I think they have the confidence which is the key. This isn't Man City away kind of fixtures.

If FFC wants to continue to play the 'possession' game (77% loss/69% draw), then they had better come up with plans/plays/ways to attack much better in the forward third and create real scoring chances.  It almost seems as though teams are just backing off letting FFC accumulate possession time with no real threats involved.  Very frustrating.  One point secured in last two games when 6 should have been the expectation.
I agree with any synopsis that suggests our possession game is composed of flawed logic because we are not creating convertible chances from our attacks but are still shipping cheap goals at the other end albeit in much reduced number from last term. 

My worry is that the tactics of our opponents have majorly influenced the outcomes of our matches so far, rather than our tactics dominating them into submission.  I am still looking for a more learned approach to tactics from our coaching staff.  Jokanovic's flaw - last season - was in not being able to create a team out of misfits in the squad in the shorter term.  Parker has much better fits in the squad but his tactics are simply not carefully enough thought through, IMO.  He is learning on the job and I am believing he is a quick learner and I hope that is true.  I think he needs to focus on individual positional play which supports movement and cover by being composed and calm at all times.

Singding

Some good and fair points made in this topic. I personally think when you consider the fact fact we've got pretty much half a new team starting, Knockeart, Cav, Arter, Sess, and bear in mind that Arter and Knockeart didn't have preseason with us, Sess obviously a kid just starting out for the first team, 'plus' Mawson's injury nightmares last season, amongst other team issues from that time, it's all in all a solid start.
I believe the performances will get better and that we have an excellent chance of getting at least nine points from these fixtures. As for league competitors, I just can't see Swansea lasting, I mean surely after two seasons of selling your best players, after being a dreadful premier league team anyway, and yes, I do remember how bad they were that season, I just can't believe they've suddenly unearthed an amazing championship team. They only side I fear are Leeds, and that's purely because of their manager, who in my opinion is the best in the league. But, that being said, Leeds don't have a great amount of goals in them, Bamford needs ten chances for a goal and unless the arsenal lad is the real deal they will struggle to consistently put teams away in games. So I'm still confident that we can, & will win this league. Either way, if we don't, I think we've underachieved, unless injuries become a genuine excuse.
COYW

WindyCity

Quote from: Singding on September 01, 2019, 11:22:55 AM
it's all in all a solid start.

A solid start implies above average.  I wouldn't say FFC's start has been above average.  I would probably rate it as average, to slightly below average.  I really believe points have been left on the table.  And could be important come seasons' end.  All the games count, regardless when they're played.  Still not satisfied with our offensive attack.  Save one game, it really has been hard scoring goals.  And the defense is still very leaky in my opinion, even though there have been a few games with only one for two on target shots allowed.  Sadly, those few chances resulted in goals against. 

I do think FFC can be in the promotion mix, but this team really needs to pick things up on both offense and defense.  This team can be and should be much better than we've seen so far.  COYW!!!

FFC1987

Another home game, another draw.....Not looking pleasant. Afraid to say it but I don't think Scotty was ready for this task. This squad absolutely has to be doing better.

Woolly Mammoth

We can no longer do anything about today, the draw will stand, I am only interested in the next match, v Wednesday. Not the one after, just the Wednesday game. The next one is the most important. Do not look any further than the next game, as we can only win one at a time. So let's relax and wait for the team to bring back three points from Hillsborough.

Never forget your Roots.