Main Menu

Pros, cons and work in progress

Started by Facts Not Fiction, August 27, 2019, 10:47:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Facts Not Fiction

Pros: Rodak, McDonald, O'Riley
Cons: Christie, Le Marchand, Kamara
Work in progress: Onomah, de la Torre, Reid

Christie looks completely shot of confidence. For his own sake, I hope he finds a new club. Kamara was embarrassing, woeful footballer. Le Marchand moved further down the pecking order being behind McDonald.

Rodak over Bettinelli will happen sooner rather than later. McDonald seems more confident at CB. O'Riley ball retention very good.

ALG01

1500.gif
Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on August 27, 2019, 10:47:47 PM

Christie looks completely shot of confidence. For his own sake, I hope he finds a new club. Kamara was embarrassing, woeful footballer. Le Marchand moved further down the pecking order being behind McDonald.

Rodak over Bettinelli will happen sooner rather than later. McDonald seems more confident at CB. O'Riley ball retention very good.

Other than the keeper. I agree with everything.
Not sure betts day is done but rodak looks like he may be ok, didn't look too confident under pressure but it was one game and that back four would frighten anyone.

Chutney

Quote from: ALG01 on August 27, 2019, 11:03:17 PM
1500.gif
Quote from: Facts Not Fiction on August 27, 2019, 10:47:47 PM

Other than the keeper. I agree with everything.
Not sure betts day is done but rodak looks like he may be ok, didn't look too confident under pressure but it was one game and that back four would frighten anyone.

Three of that back 4 were regular starters for us in the prem, says it all really.
C O Y W

GJB

I'm sorry, but having been at the game, I have to disagree on Kamara being called embarrassing and a woeful footballer - I'll be the first to admit that he didn't have the best of games, but he still some produced positive moments against a premier league quality side and was one of the very few players in our team who caused any worries to their defence with his pace and strength. He'll be a useful impact sub for us this season in the championship.

IMO all of our front three struggled to look the part due to a lack of creativity going forward from our midfield. Although obviously not the finished article, O'Riley did however look like he has good potential for an 18 year old - wasn't scared to tackle and has a promising passing range.

Rodak's shot stopping was impressive - he did well to keep the score down to what it was.

Before we throw in a load of criticisms, let's not forget Southampton played a lot of first team players, whereas we had Bryan and Johansen from our first team, combined with a string of subs and u23 players who had likely never played a half of football together before.

Asotosyios

We had a good first half, on which I think we deserved one goal, and a not great second half. If not for Rodak, the score could have been worse.

It might be my idea, but didn't anyone else notice a change of tactics on the second half? It looked very much like a narrow diamond with de la Torre no longer playing as a winger and Kamara next to Reid.

Classic94

Rodak MOTM for me. Bailed out the disaster that is MLM on at least 3 occasions and distribution was almost faultless. On separate notes, McDonald acquitted himself superbly at CB and O'Riley looked comfortable in possession.

General

Think we need to have a policy where our defenders have to pass forward after at least three side passes along the back line. It was absurd how much of the ball our defence had in the first half and how little they did with it. When you do that, regardless of the amount of possession you have, after a while the other team is going to grow in confidence and then pressure you onto the back foot.

I'm wondering if it's a tactic as cyrus, even in the second half had at least two or three chances where he could have or would have previously knocked the ball on.

ALG01

Quote from: GJB on August 27, 2019, 11:44:25 PM
I'm sorry, but having been at the game, I have to disagree on Kamara being called embarrassing and a woeful footballer - I'll be the first to admit that he didn't have the best of games, but he still some produced positive moments against a premier league quality side and was one of the very few players in our team who caused any worries to their defence with his pace and strength. He'll be a useful impact sub for us this season in the championship.

IMO all of our front three struggled to look the part due to a lack of creativity going forward from our midfield. Although obviously not the finished article, O'Riley did however look like he has good potential for an 18 year old - wasn't scared to tackle and has a promising passing range.

Rodak's shot stopping was impressive - he did well to keep the score down to what it was.

Before we throw in a load of criticisms, let's not forget Southampton played a lot of first team players, whereas we had Bryan and Johansen from our first team, combined with a string of subs and u23 players who had likely never played a half of football together before.

K tries really hard, has some talent and skill but destroys all that by attempting to do the impossible over and over. rather than lay the ball off quickly he tried at least three times knock type back flicks that failed playing us into trouble, he will charge into congested areas lose possession unnecessarily. He is one of those infuriating players that needs a mind set change.... and I think that is unlikely.

Just on bryan and stef jo, personally i thought bryan's defending was poor and stef jo very unsuited to the role he was given. The biggest plus was o'reilly.

I feel for reid he clearly has not been given a single role to play and as a consequence is anonymous. it does not help when he makes good off the ball movement but rather than play a quick through ball we go sideways and backwards. if you have a player free up top it is worth the gamble of playing the long quick ball.

Mullers OG

I went to the game last night.  My views are much the same as Graham Leggatt's.

Just to add one or two thoughts:-  where were Ayite and Kebano last night?  Both of them could do with the game and either would have been streets ahead of those we put out up front yesterday.

One reason for watching cup matches is to watch players we don't see regularly and to consider whether any of them are close to threatening the regulars.  Rodak is clearly a good keeper and will keep pushing Betts.  O'Reilly may become a regular in time but not yet.  None of the others look the part.  Christie looks very short of confidence.  It cannot be in his interests as an international player to be 3rd choice right back after Odoi and Sessegnon.  A move or a loan would probably help him recover his form and confidence.  I hope he does.  GL described Kamara's performance in strong terms; I can't see any reason to disagree.  If Mitrovic is injured or suspended we are very short up front.

ScalleysDad

Work in progress should be the thread title for this season really partly because it sounds better than post apocalyptic rebuild required. Cardiff on Friday will be more of a marker.

charlieFFC

Christie needs to go. Completely agree he has no confidence and nothing is going to change that.