watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Can I just clear something up?

Started by Jimsbeerbelly, October 22, 2019, 12:41:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arthur

I thought McDonald was excellent in our promotion season; he may not have been our captain but he was our leader on the pitch and his influence was immense - never more so than in the play-off final after we went down to ten men. Second only to Ream for Player of the Season in my opinion.

FFC1987

To be fair, I don't think it belittles KMac or his contribution to say Arter is a better footballer. It's more of a compliment to Arter.

Arthur

'Being better' (i.e having more ability) than another player and 'playing better' than him do not always go hand-in-hand. McDonald probably utilised his ability to the maximum in our promotion season. Arter's been decent in many games - but I don't agree that his contribution in what is just a quarter of the season justifies the tag 'significant' upgrade.

MJG

Apart from the best 11 individual players in their positions everyone else has someone better than them.
Its no shame or make that player any worse, just because someone better comes along.
Just the views of a long term fan

Milo

I personally think this is a thoroughly interesting thread. I note SF Sorrow (as ever) provides interesting insights to the RB debate and reiterated the points I was making last season about Fredericks importance with SJ's tactics.

I think the issue is that Slav's style crashed in the Prem (multi factorial reasons but largely new faces as we've heavily discussed already) and that if he were to stick to the same tactics the squad may have lost a bit of belief in the "method" when the going got tough.

However, it does make you think whether Slav this season would've broken records for possession, goals etc. It could have been some of the best football we've seen at the Cottage.

I don't begrudge Parker having a crack, and Slav won't come back, but it's an interesting debate.

Statto

Quote from: JoelH5 on October 22, 2019, 01:10:32 PM
Is this a joke?

Arter is miles better than Kmac of 2 seasons ago.
Cav is miles better than Suite
Mawson is miles better than Kala's
You conveniently forgot Knockaert, again miles better than Ayite/Kebano.

I'm not a Parker our person but the team we have is much, much better than Slavs team.

All in all I think it's two big upgrades (Cavaleiro > Kamara; Mitrovic > Fonte) and one big downgrade (Fredericks > Sessegnon).   

Arter vs KMac is debateable. Arter has already got himself sent off once.
Knockaert isn't better than Ayite IMO.
I'd say Mawson is slightly better than Kalas but many on here seem to think he's awful. Probably not much in it.

Yes this team is better but not ever so much.

Sgt Fulham

Slavisa was a joy to have as a head coach. Much like when Schwarzer was our goalkeeper, you truly realise his importance as soon as he is gone.

Parker is merely an experiment we have to suffer through. I have my opinion on how the experiment will go, but only time will tell. I wish we had just gone with a proven manager.

midlandwhites

Its not a matter of who is better than who, its a case what works best ...Arter is better footballer than KMac ..but Kmac is a leader who maybe too defensive but supports the defence and is the link to Cairney..
Problem at the moment is better players are not working together and think this league is easy with the attacking fancy football they play...but sometimes you need those gritty awkward players that dig out results.

Milo

Quote from: Sgt Fulham on October 22, 2019, 04:29:06 PM
Slavisa was a joy to have as a head coach. Much like when Schwarzer was our goalkeeper, you truly realise his importance as soon as he is gone.

Parker is merely an experiment we have to suffer through. I have my opinion on how the experiment will go, but only time will tell. I wish we had just gone with a proven manager.

The Championship seems far more forgiving this year. Aren't playing that well but still in the races.

BigbadBillyMcKinley

Quote from: jarv on October 22, 2019, 01:20:50 PM
Think back (if old enough) when Fulham sacked the man who was to become one of the best English managers ever. Sacked after one season.......Bobby Robson.  I think we need to be patient, Parker seems like a smart man.

Not entirely sure you can compare Sir Bobby and Parker to be honest.
Everything is difficult before it's easy!

HV71

I totally agree with this . Arter reminds me a bit of a fast robotic lawnmower ( albeit a quick one ) - he charges around trying to engage himself occasionally cutting things down . He has had some very good games for us but I am not entirely sure who , or what , is programming him .
Mac on the other hand is a tad slow but clearly thinks and has a brain. If he gets booked it's be cause he has 'taken one for the team' . He is a natural leader who commands respect from all around him

RaySmith

Quote from: HV71 on October 22, 2019, 08:45:30 PM

I totally agree with this . Arter reminds me a bit of a fast robotic lawnmower ( albeit a quick one ) - he charges around trying to engage himself occasionally cutting things down . He has had some very good games for us but I am not entirely sure who , or what , is programming him .
Mac on the other hand is a tad slow but clearly thinks and has a brain. If he gets booked it's be cause he has 'taken one for the team' . He is a natural leader who commands respect from all around him

They are both top players, who can play an important role in the team.

Different styles, but both very committed to the cause, the  types of players you want in your  squad imo.

Yes, Arter plays on the edge, and has to be careful not to get carried away, but I want someone with that kind of  will to win playing for us. he has a lot to offer with his pace, work  rate, and passing ability.
While K Mac offers leadership, and is a cool head, as you say.

Arter needs to, like Mitro has largely done,  keep a lid on his emotions, but  we don't want him to lose his edge - like Mitro and Stef Jo. They all play on the edge  to an extent, and a team needs players like that too.

toshes mate

Statistically speaking this team has as much chance of going on a record breaking unbeaten run as did the 2018 squad.  Just because it happened recently doesn't reduce the chances of it happening again and in fact increases them slightly.  But that is statistics for you ...  and it doesn't mean it will happen.  Personally I find the attempts at player comparisons to be banal.  Ayite working in a good team is worse than Cavaleiro not working in a bad team is criminal logic.