Main Menu

Have we ever introduced ourselves?

Started by Airfix, November 05, 2010, 04:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finnster01

Good man Mr FMC, and welcome on board.  :clap_hands:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

aFFCn_Fan

Been on the board for quite a while, and probably should be on ex-pats as well...but somehow my work productivity suffers enough as it is....and I'm not really convinced I actually moved overseas, as we only watch Sky News, BBC channels and Premier league.

Anyway, I really did move abroad 3 years ago to South Africa hence aFFCn_Fan. Despite all the Saffers who seem to inhabit SW London I seem to be the only Fulham fan I know out here. But I love that fact. It makes me different, and an even more authentic fan than the plastic glory hunters who have never seen their team in real life.

I can't remember the first game I saw at the Cottage. I was a Villa fan as a kid (living in the midlands) but then I moved to Devon and lost interest in football when Sky took over the rights to show games, and no chance I could afford to get to games. it was only when I moved to London in my early '20s and the company I worked for had season tickets. The first game I went to was still in the Championship, and I seem to remember the confetti when we played the last game at the cottage before moving up to the EPL. I remember the terraces in the Hammy end, and started to fall in love with football again. Because of the company's season tickets I went to quite a few games since then.

In 2008 my missus and I decided we'd had enough of the weather in London and moved to SA. Have managed to make a few trips back and the last game was the 3-0 hammering of Man Uniturd in December 2009 (thanks to Gerry Hynes selling me a couple of spare tickets :54:).

My name's Adrian, I'm 33, married and we have a 8 month old boy (who already has his first Fulham shirt) and two dogs. I still run my family's weekends by what time our game is showing. I missed getting to any of the Europa league games last time round, but caught most on TV, and if we manage to get anywhere near as far this time round I think there might be a short trip back.

I used to post on the Offal, but left long before the Cottage Corner as FoF seemed to have a higher caliber of Fulham infor and a more friendly approach to life.

Afraid we don't get such a wide selection of bangers out here in Jo'burg Fat Fred, but the boerewors are pretty good (beefy with cloves and bit of a spicy kick to them and about a foot-long - like the good old cumberland style, and best done on a BBQ)

COYWs

@hincharoo

erk

More of a reader than a poster. My real name is Barrie and I am 51. I was born in Streatham but lived mostly in Hertfordshire until I moved to Sutton in 1971 and to date have remained in that area. My family is nearly all Tottenham apart from my father who was a Stoke City supporter.
I first visited the Cottage for the Benfica game but did not really start going all the time until the 1976-1977 season. From 1977-1978 onwards I started going to all the away games and went about 12 or 13 years without missing one. I always travelled with the Thamesbank Travellers and for a time I co ran the coach with Frances.
For my sins I qualified as a football referee in 1993 and became quite good at it. Once I progressed to the Isthmain League and then on to the Nationwide Conference my visits to The Cottage and away games became less frequent for obvious reasons.
Once I reached 45 I turned my back on "the dark side" (although I still referee on the Combined Counties & Spartan South Midlands Leagues on occassions) and returned to the fold.
Fot the past 5 or 6 seasons I have resumed my season ticket in the Hammersmith and my away trips have become more frequent as time has passed but it is just not like the old days used to be on the good old TBT

ClarksOriginal

Hello chaps,

I thought it would only be correct to post my very first comment in this thread, so here goes:

I have been a 'lurker' on this site for a while, flitting between here & the official message board at first I thought the offal wasn't too bad. There were a few decent guys on their who seemed to know their stuff but as soon as I dug deeper I was fairly shocked to find a huge amount of imbeciles on the forum who posted nothing but stuff to wind others up. To my surprise I found a forum about FFC where people seemed to post intelligent, yet funny stuff. You can thank WhiteNoise for introducing FOF to me.

So about me: My name is Ben, and you are more than welcome to call me that or my username if you wish. I am 20 years old and have been a Fulham supporter since I was 10 years old. I am a season ticket holder in the Hammersmith end for the first time this year. Before that I managed to get to 10ish games a season so I thought I'd take the plunge. Many who know me say I am born too late and I should have been born in the 70's, I enjoy the older things in life should we say, I tend not to use many modern things other than mobile phone or computer etc. I get flack off my mates for having 'weird Paul Weller hair' but I'm sure I am one of thousands influenced by the Mod/Britpop scene as you can tell from my Username.

Anyway, I love this little club by the Thames and I really don't know what I would do without it. I look forward to discussing everything FFC & more with you lot, you all seem great.

FatFred - I am not a huge lover of the ol' pork based products, but I don't mind a sausage from the chippy with a pot of curry sauce or one of the strange ones with apple in them, they're quite tasty.

COME ON YOU WHITES!
@sonikkicks on Twitter.

LBNo11

...welcome ClarksOriginal, I'm sure you will fit in nicely here, WhiteNoise is our official recruitment officer, we don't pay him - all the thanks he gets are payment enough.. :dft012:

076.gif
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

tommy

Hi Guys,

Im pretty new to these boards. I've been a Fulham fan since I was old enough to start going to games without my old man, who used to take me all the way up to Old Trafford being as he's a Man Utd fan. I was born at Queen Charlottes in Hammersmith and brought up in the area, so am a local boy. I dont get to as many games as I's like because I'm a self-emplyed Custom Installer, which keeps me really busy. I probably get to about 10 home games a year in all comps and a couple of away games. I did however have some great times at away games in the Europa League the season before last. I even had a cracking time at Juventus sitting in the away stand. I remember riding the tram to the game with all the locals looking at us like we where loopy singing Fulham songs. The Juve fans didnt get a chance that day.

Anyway, In the little time I've been on the boards, I've enjoyed it. There are some cracking reads and it all seems very pro Fulham unlike some other boards.

finnster01

Good man Tommy.  076.gif and don't be shy to hit the keyboard more often.
I live in the US now so trips are limited and I never got the Juve away in Europe but I got Vetra away in the quals and the final in Hamburg.

Priceless. COYW!!

Buzzardwhite

Thought I'd treat myself today on my 64th birthday so I'm doing my first ever post !! (Hope I do it right!!)
My family originate from Biscay Road but I was brought up right next to the hooped lots ground. Luckily my Dad's family were Fulham men. It was always a bone of contention because my Mum's lot all supported the hooped lot. Truth to be told me and the old man used to go round the corner when FFC were away (just to get out of the house you understand) My earlliest memory of Craven Cottage was Arthur Stevens playing on the wing and Beddy Jezzard had just retired.
We now live in Leighton Buzzard (33years) and me ,my daughter and my eldest grandson all have season tickets in the HammyEnd.So my grandson is 5th generation and proud of it.Suprisingly there's quite a few fans living up this way although obviously most of the people support Man U.

LBNo11

...thanks for joining FoF BuzzardWhite, and thanks for the post, as you are lumbered with the one post status of Michael Jackson so you MUST post again!

I hope you enjoy things on FoF and look at all our other facilities (see some of the links in my 'signature').

Oh and  081.gif  082.gif

Drake44444

Hi, long time lurker, first time poster.

Lived in London last year and had Fulham season tickets.  Now I'm in love with the club but back in the US.  Looking forward to hanging around here.

Sheepskin Junior

Hi I'm Sheepskin Junior (Louie). I got into football and Fulham when while at Earl's Court exhibition centre there was a football bit and Cookie Coleman and our new (ish) signing Edwin Van Der Sar were there giving away cheap tickets. My Dad and I went to Loftus Road early December 2003 when we played Bolton and won 2-1. I nearly fell asleep during the game (I was 6.) but managed to fall in love and have managed a few games a season since. I'm one of two Fulham fans at my school so I feel very special. At 7 I won a penalty shootout at Motspur Park alongside my Dad, Darren Pratley and one Andrew Cole. Managed to get a picture of me wearing a pair of EVDS's gloves and met Cookie for a second time. That's about it really.
Youngest ever member. Just saying.

@LouieJW2507

Burt

Quote from: Sheepskin Junior on September 03, 2011, 04:35:52 PM
Hi I'm Sheepskin Junior (Louie). I got into football and Fulham when while at Earl's Court exhibition centre there was a football bit and Cookie Coleman and our new (ish) signing Edwin Van Der Sar were there giving away cheap tickets. My Dad and I went to Loftus Road early December 2003 when we played Bolton and won 2-1. I nearly fell asleep during the game (I was 6.) but managed to fall in love and have managed a few games a season since. I'm one of two Fulham fans at my school so I feel very special. At 7 I won a penalty shootout at Motspur Park alongside my Dad, Darren Pratley and one Andrew Cole. Managed to get a picture of me wearing a pair of EVDS's gloves and met Cookie for a second time. That's about it really.

Don't forget, you're a TV star and a budding ref too  :dft011:

HillingdonFFC

Posted on TFI for years under TSW, getting a bit out of hand on there now so thought I`d try this one.
From Hillingdon (obviously) , all dads family from Hammersmith and Fulham, my grandfather first went down there  as a nipper in the late 20s, his older brother before that. He was the treasurer of the first supporters club. First game for me was 0-3 defeat to Bristol City in 1978. I went to school in Hayes then Langley near Slough, there were a handful of Fulham fans there mainly Chelsea unfortunately, Slough`s always been full of em.
Most of the family support Fulham and a little crowd of mates go to most home and as many aways as we can, mainly go for the day out to be honest. Would say favourite memories would be Blackburn away, Hamburg home and the final, I know the result was heartbreaking but the whole day was unbelieavable, never forget the scenes in the square, still have to pinch myself that we were actually there.
Favourite players include Ivor, Simon Morgan, Brian McBride but my ultimate hero was Roger Brown, was very upset when I heard the news, it felt like a bit of my childhood had died too

Wimbledon_White

Hello again..
I have been reading the dailies since I joined and occasionally posted here and there whilst still posting regularly on Cottage Corner.
I have finally given up on Cottage Corner, I truly despair at the cretins that dominate that board, and have decided to take a more active involvement on this forum and have deleted my account on CC.
Hope that is cool with you guys.
COYW.

finnster01

Welcome on board WW.

Most of us have all made that very same migration. Look fwd to your posts

COYW!!

bede

I'd have to be one of the newer Fulham fans on the forum. Only very recently have I started to follow Fulham I'm from Australia and I've been interested in football my whole life but we don't really get much over here apart from the big clubs. So when I was a little kid I "supported" Manchester United.

It has only been really recently that I've started to watch European football, really after the inception of the A-League. Back here I follow Melbourne Victory, and my girlfriend introduced my to her team Glasgow Rangers who've sucked me in. In the end I'd always had a soft spot for Fulham due to the lanky legend Mark so I've started to support them. So that is my introduction. Fulham are not my number one club, as a few over here have said, they are my number one in England though!

LBNo11

...welcome bede, there are a few Aussie based fans on here - hence the  :down_under: hope you enjoy the ride..!

076.gif

stevehawkinslidingtackle

I dont think I ever have.

Supported Fulham since the very early eighties after my dad took me. Was a season ticket holder with my dad for most of the 90's. Moved abroad to Thailand in 2004, and now work all over the world in the Oil and gas industry. Currently in Malaysia, away to Cuba next month.  Built a house near the beach, called it Craven Cottage and have lots of signed memorabilia in the office. I converted my wife to Fulham, and will force feed Fulham to my son. Dont get to see many games now, about 1 a season, when I return home for visits. Will probably never live in the UK again, but can still watch all matches live on Asian ESPN when not at work.
Things I miss most about the UK, friends & family, good Guinness, and rain or shine , walking through Bishops Park to the ground on match day.    scarf

God The Mechanic

Hey.

I'm a new-ish Fulham convert, probably went to my first match in 1999 or so but the first one I remember was against Port Vale at Vale Park... glamorous I know.  Born and mostly bred in Manchester, and have supported the filthy Red side since I was a kid, but was taken to several Fulham matches up north by my step dad so they quickly became my second team, never imagining that I'd have to choose between the two on a match day :P  Coincidentally my first match at the Cottage was against United in the FA Cup a few days after Cookie crashed his car and broke his leg, standing in the Hammersmith end not really knowing who to support :P

I've been to a far few matches, although not nearly as many as some of you guys obviously, but the one I regret not going to the most is the Juve home match (naturally) - I'd planned on as soon as the draw was made (a chance to see either Ajax or Juve was a bit of a no brainer really), but after the 3-1 defeat in Turin I figured it would be a bit too expensive to travel from Manchester to see Fulham get knocked out.  Woops.  Made up for it by going to the home Wolfsburg match instead, which was awesome if incredibly rainy and cold.

Favourite old Fulham players are probably Steed, Saha, Finnan and currently, in spite of how much he gets slagged off I absolutely love Ruiz probably above anyone else - that boy has some serious ability.
Favourite players ever are Iniesta (to the extent of getting into a reasonably serious argument a few years back, before he was widely acknowledge of being awesome, about the fact that he was probably the best midfielder of his generation), Juan Seba Veron (in spite of his Chelsea links and it not really working out in England), Alex del Piero, Juan Carlos Valeron and Batigol.

Anyway, enough rambling for now!

Patterson

Howdy all!

So good to see a vibrant Fulham community online with whome to share my obsessions and ramblings about our favourite club!

I'm a fairly odd one in terms of fans go, but that seems to be the case with quite a few fans of the club.  I hail from Montreal in Canada; not your typical football (I semi-refuse to call it soccer) hotbed despite the Montreal Impact recently joining the MLS.  I must admit to being a major hater of the sport as recently as 2006.  At that time, I had taken notice of the 2002 World Cup and wanted to really get into the game in a serious way for the 2006 World Cup.  While the international tourneys are fantastic, they only offer a show every 2 years (Euros and WC) and felt like I had to get behind a club team and really test my newfound enjoyment of the game.

My attention immediate turned to the Prem, as I felt it had a bigger, sweeter allure than any of the other leagues.  Being a fairly enthusiastic gamer, I began to play Football Manager and started to examine each team for reasons I should get behind them.  Everton immediately jumped out at me as an interesting team;  not ultra rich and not one of the top teams, but very well run with tons of seemingly quality players with a bit of room to play around and improve to get them into the top 4.  But scrolling through the list, I see a small London club that the game predicts will finish 17th in the league...just above relegation.  Lo and behold, this squad has two Canadian players (!!!) (Radzinski and Stalteri) as well as a few more American players (Dempsey, McBride, Bocanegra, Johnson (lol))!  I knew right away who I had too choose.

At this point, I began to follow Fulham every week.  If I couldn't catch the match on television (which was often), I resorted to match reports, highlights packages (MOTD is a godsend for North Americans) and the like until I got a very good feel for the team and felt like I truly loved them, instead of perhaps switching around to another team as soon as the going got tough.  I must say, it's been easy to stick with them, as they are such a lovable club that has improved almost every season I've seen them.

From the Great Escape, to the wonderful league campaign the following year to the UNBELIEVABLE Europa League run (which I managed to watch every game of due to my travelling around western Europe and England at the time) and the subsequent cementing of our status as a top-half club...this has been an unbelievable ride and will continue to be I think.

All I know for sure is there are two teams in my heart:  The Montreal Canadiens and Fulham Football Club...and I'm not sure which one I love more...

Sorry for the lengthy post, but I'm thrilled to be amongst fellow Fulham nutters at last!

tl;dr:  I'm from Canada and love Fulham as much as my local hockey team.
A Canadian supporting Fulham...wait...what?!