more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Cold/Flu remedy advice needed

Started by finnster01, November 07, 2010, 11:12:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

finnster01

Dear Auntie FoF,

My girlfriend and I have been knocked out the whole week with a nasty cold/flu and would like some advice (beyond going to the doctor and get some antibiotics as my Fullers ESB will kill those anyway. If it is between ESB and antibiotics, I am rather coughing in bed).

Anyway, would be interested in where the state of affairs stand on the remedy front as I haven't had a nasty cold for years. My girlfriend seems to be even worse for wear and it doesn't help she is trying to stop smoking at the same time using the patchy thingy which also give her some extra withdrawal and chest issues.

So you intelligent and friendly lot out there, what do you recommend? Right now we are taking some standard cold tablets (works about as well as Roy's substitutions), the hot toddy before bed, hot tea in the morning, Vick's Vapo Rub for the nose, try to stay indoor and relax (no pubbing),  and that is about it.

What should we do? Problem is I have booked us a 7-day cruise at the end of the month and obviously we would prefer to arrive at the boat via taxi and not ambulance.

Thanks in advance
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

TonyGilroy

Stop moaning, be a Brit and get on with it.

In a week you'll be fine and can laugh at all the people you infected and who are now suffering.

epsomraver

Best cure I found Finn was when I used to do cross country running years ago  and had a stinking cold the night before a race, ( most flu that people say they have  are just heavy colds, if you have flu they say that if you see a £50 note on the floor you can't be bothered to bend down and pick it up, that is flu, had it once in my life 8 years ago, will never get it mixed up with a cold again!) Any way back to the cure, you need to get into bed with as many layers as possible, have a small tot of Rum, hot water bottle and sweat the bar steward out, you will have horrendous night mares but persevere do not throw the blankets off and you should burn the virus out, It worked for me and I ran the next day came second, three  times around Battersea park!the theory is the reason you get a temperature is the body trying to overheat the virus, what you are doing is speeding up the process. The old cowboy films where they are covered in furs when they had a fever was very true and works. If this fails would you like flowers or a donation :005:

RidgeRider

Airborne and lots of Hot & Sour Soup, this does the trick.

alfie

buggr the blankets mate stay in bed with your lady and think of other ways to stay warm. :54:
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

White Noise

Totally agree with Epsom Raver. I put a large brandy into a large port and mix together. There is some sort of chemical reaction and it fortifys you a bit and sets you up for sweating the thing out. Have it before bed and then put on three or four sweaters or a sweater and a fleece and sweat pants and two duvets. You will get feverish and probably start hallucinating a bit but in the morning the flu/fever will have broken and you will be on the road back. You have gotta take the fight to the flu.

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

A large brandy or whiskey,which ever you prefer,lemon juice,brown sugar,a cinnamon stick(or ground cinnamon at a push) top up with hot water then bed-that'll sort you out :wine:

Lighthouse

A bottle of Southern Comfort - Feel a shiver, have a sip or gulp. Warms you up inside and keep warm outside. Never a great idea to sweat it out quickly because it weakens the body for the next coldy germ. Which is why athletes are always catching colds. :005:
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

FatFreddysCat

Get down the local gym and have a sauna and steam room, then when your better you can as Tony G said laugh at all the other people you have infected. But the Hot Toddy is still the best  :54: Or how about a nice Vindaloo, or in your case a spicy hot mexican dish with mega hot chillies .

GoldCoastWhite

The common theme here Finn, ie sweating it out, is one that a doctor suggested to me last time I had the lurgy. She suggested holding off the cold and flu tablets wherever possible because the paracetamol eases the fever symptoms (handy if
you really must go to work or whatever) but gives the virus an easy ride in the process. Keeping the fluids up is essential but sweating that wicked, wascally viwus out is the way to go. Get well soon to you and your good lady.

Lighthouse

Quote from: GoldCoastWhite on November 07, 2010, 03:24:42 PM
The common theme here Finn, ie sweating it out, is one that a doctor suggested to me last time I had the lurgy. She suggested holding off the cold and flu tablets wherever possible because the paracetamol eases the fever symptoms (handy if
you really must go to work or whatever) but gives the virus an easy ride in the process. Keeping the fluids up is essential but sweating that wicked, wascally viwus out is the way to go. Get well soon to you and your good lady.

The reason Doctors want  you to hurry and sweat the virus out is that it weakens the body and the immune system is ripe to be invaded by another cold. You catch a cold and need more drugs and the Doctors are paid by the drug company. Oh yes they are. I never catch a cold but am really unhealthy. So (sniff) don't listen to (cough) sportsman or fit  (flemmy cough) people as they are the ones who have more (niggly tickle in throat) colds than us unfit people (ATCHOO, slight headache) Anyway just off for a rest, feel a bit.....
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

sipwell

I agree with
Quote from: Rambling_Syd_Rumpo on November 07, 2010, 01:11:52 PM
A large brandy or whiskey,which ever you prefer,lemon juice,brown sugar,a cinnamon stick(or ground cinnamon at a push) top up with hot water then bed-that'll sort you out :wine:

but he missed something.

Here is what we add in Belgium: you put on a lot of winter clothes (like a thick shirt, a sweater and then some more) so your body is completely covered (one, two or even three pair of socks). The ideal is: the more the better. Also make sure that your bed is covered with plenty of blankets and preferably your heating is on too. Then you drink your "grog" (as described above) and drink one more if necessary (so that you get slightly drunk and as a result tired). Get into bed and sleep. You will be sweating like a beast but you'll feel a lot better the next day.

For me it always works. It is a very uncomfortable night (that's when the grog is handy as you are too tired to care) but it is worth it.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

YankeeJim

You can take all these remedies and wait ten days or just wait ten days. Either one works.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Huge

get outdoors and go for a long walk, (Fresh air is better than the stuff in any house) and build up a sweat. Then have an almost uncomfortable hot bath and sweat it out in there too. Also take echinacea, better than vit C. Drink plenty of water to aid the sweating process. Chicken Soup has something in it that makes your nose run so drink that too, flush it out the nostrils too. Layers in bed! And Roberts your fathers brother you will be better quicker.
The Dude abides

epsomraver

Quote from: sipwell on November 07, 2010, 04:51:47 PM
I agree with
Quote from: Rambling_Syd_Rumpo on November 07, 2010, 01:11:52 PM

but he missed something.

Here is what we add in Belgium: you put on a lot of winter clothes (like a thick shirt, a sweater and then some more) so your body is completely covered (one, two or even three pair of socks). The ideal is: the more the better. Also make sure that your bed is covered with plenty of blankets and preferably your heating is on too. Then you drink your "grog" (as described above) and drink one more if necessary (so that you get slightly drunk and as a result tired). Get into bed and sleep. You will be sweating like a beast but you'll feel a lot better the next day.

For me it always works. It is a very uncomfortable night (that's when the grog is handy as you are too tired to care) but it is worth it.

I think you will find that is exactly what I advised Finn to do a few posts ago, great minds think alike?

The Equalizer

When I worked at Blockbuster video in Fulham about 13 years ago, I came down with an instant dose of the flu. I got to work, went about my business in the office, half an hour later I was sitting there with my head on the desk trying to make my peace with God!

One of my colleagues popped around the Safeway and picked me up some effervescent Vitamin C tablets with Zinc. One of these and a litre of fresh orange juice and I was back on my feet within an hour.

Works every time!
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

epsomraver

Not with Flu it doesn't , true Flu is so painful and incapacitating even the fillings on your teeth ache, Man flu perhaps but not the real thing, it really annoys me when you get people on the TV saying "he has had flu this week but kept going! I really thought I was going to die, I have never felt so wretched ever before or since, I got mine in a Motor home in Devon over Christmas a few years ago when the tsunami struck, we were in a valley and you  feel so rough  that if someone had banged on the door and said there was a tidal wave coming down the valley, you just cannot be arsed to move , that is how bad it gets you.

sipwell

Quote from: epsomraver on November 08, 2010, 09:53:46 AM

I think you will find that is exactly what I advised Finn to do a few posts ago, great minds think alike?

... and fools never differ!

You are right. I misread the "lots of layers" but essentially we agree! And it does work, doesn't it?
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

epsomraver

It does for me, as log as you drink plenty of fluids after coming out of "hibernation"

jarv

Mr. Epsom....you are right, real flu is horrendous. For me, back in 75, it was the only week I ever had off sick from work in my life. (apart from a few hangovers)  I didn't move for 3 days, my flat mate thought I had gone away. Lost half a stone back in the day when I coulnt afford to lose it.

Back to Mr. Finn's cold. I used to play football, spit it out, bike ride, spit it out or go for a run, spit it out. All 3 of those might be a bit difficult in NYC so try everything mentioned or like someone said, wait 10 days.