watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What are we lacking ?

Started by colinwhite, December 16, 2019, 06:10:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Forever Fulham

Some well reasoned posts here.  Thanks.   Causing me to rethink my assessment of fault in recent outcomes. 

toshes mate

If I have read and comprehended Matt10's comment correctly (#18) it is suggesting a fear factor has entered (or is a permanent feature of) Parker's tactical setup.  That fear has to be, in a football team mentality, the fear of squandering possession and leaking goals.  That naturally inclines team mentality towards cautious safety options, and, when you try to play too safe, it often results in the very things you want to avoid becoming more commonplace.  The spill avoidance mental thinking actually makes the spill more likely rather than less likely.  This is the trust factor.  When you are learning a craft it helps when your teacher knows why you made a mistake and how to stop your mindset thinking upon the mistake the next time you perform the same activity.  Your teacher has the skill set to break your conscious brain's false messaging and instead gets your fault blind unconsciousness to overcome your fear of repetition.  It is a major skill set that only really good teachers possess.

Fear and trust are one of humanities most misunderstood thought processes and if Parker is afraid then I don't know how that can be overcome because who is going to teach him how to overcome it?   

Spirit of 2000

Quote from: toshes mate on December 18, 2019, 10:14:56 AM
If I have read and comprehended Matt10's comment correctly (#18) it is suggesting a fear factor has entered (or is a permanent feature of) Parker's tactical setup.  That fear has to be, in a football team mentality, the fear of squandering possession and leaking goals.  That naturally inclines team mentality towards cautious safety options, and, when you try to play too safe, it often results in the very things you want to avoid becoming more commonplace.  The spill avoidance mental thinking actually makes the spill more likely rather than less likely.  This is the trust factor.  When you are learning a craft it helps when your teacher knows why you made a mistake and how to stop your mindset thinking upon the mistake the next time you perform the same activity.  Your teacher has the skill set to break your conscious brain's false messaging and instead gets your fault blind unconsciousness to overcome your fear of repetition.  It is a major skill set that only really good teachers possess.

Fear and trust are one of humanities most misunderstood thought processes and if Parker is afraid then I don't know how that can be overcome because who is going to teach him how to overcome it?   

Indeed - we should be concentrating on doing the things we are best at and playing to the strengths of who we have at our disposal rather than worrying about stuff we're doing. Parker went on about not trading with teams, I see that a little differently. We still have midfielders in TC, StefJo, Reed, Arter etc who should be able to dominate most at this level even without the over-slow possession at all costs ethic. Maybe if we transition more quickly the possession % will drop some but we will be creating more and better chances for the front 3 & playing to their strengths. I genuinely think we would see a different Cavaleiro & Knockaert if we set up this way - plus Bobby Reid, AK47 would also fit well into a more dynamic attacking unit. We may concede a few more by not playing for 75% possession & knocking it sideways for most of the match, but we would certainly score a lot more. What's not to like about 4-3 & 3-2 wins? I think the fear factor alluded to by Tosh's mate here is a big factor in why we're not approaching games this way.

colinwhite

Not disagreeing with the last two posts ,but the fear factor in football can work both ways.Warnock and for that matter Hughtons fear factor is getting caught in possession and turned over to concede.Dont take the chance just get it forward quickly.
When coaching possession football `bravery `is a mantra used (often by Slavisa),and the mindset is one of dare to keep the ball at all costs ,in the beginning of the process. The disappointing thing about our play of late is that we have not been able to mix things up and move on fromthe early season football. Parker hasnt been able to refine things,but he has been unlucky with injuries and not been able to adapt things that sucessfully to the players available.His bottle and abillity is firmly on the line against Leeds. He may just surprise us all. If he does then Toshs point about learning from mistakes will clearly apply to our head coach.

Matt10

Quote from: toshes mate on December 18, 2019, 10:14:56 AM

Spot on as always. That's really the main issue I'm seeing that is hurting our attacking prowess. It's similar to last year under Ranieri where we started to play so scared, which caused mental mistakes that were completely against character. Crystal Palace away match rings to my mind, where Christie and Fosu-Mensah struggled to cross a simple ball in. Or when Odoi chose to duck under a cross vs Spurs, expecting Rico to snag it out of the air. There were moments like that in which you just had to raise your hands up and wonder what was going to happen next.

I think Parker is at a point in which his stubborness is going to be tested. You've said that before, and I agree that if he's not identifying the chains he's placed on our attack, then he's going to create his own downfall. Conceding goals is one thing, but not scoring them in abundance is a significant issue. I undersand the goal of what he's trying to achieve, and it was working early on in the season (although not to the levels as some would wish), but now the tide is changing, teams have figured us out - they can watch the tape. He, and his team of coaches, need to start mixing things up, and ensure that the players absorb all those mixes of attack so the are well prepared.

Saturday really can't come soon enough.

RaySmith

One  of the worst aspects of the Palace  game, was that it came just after us beating Brighton at home with a brilliant second half display, with Cairney and Seri  looking  like top players, and everyone performing well.

Why didn't Ranieri keep that  set up, and what happened to the players  confidence in a few days?
That was a bitter blow, because  we fans  had a surge of renewed optimism going into that Palace game.

WE shot ourselves in the foot so many times that season, and are still doing it this - a it does often  seem  mental, and a lot to do with confidence.

Woolly Mammoth

Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

WindyCity

What are we lacking?  Simply:

1)  Backline defense.  No upgrades over last two seasons.  Way too leaky, especially considering the amount of possession FFC normally has.  May take way more than Hector in January.

2)  More prolific offense.  BIG disappointments with both Knock and Cav.  These two were 'supposed to' spearhead a dangerous offense this season.  Pfffffftttttttttt............

2A)  Figuring out a way to produce more goals and more 'good' scoring chances coupled with all of that possession advantage.  Poor coaching regarding this?  Poor player execution regarding this?  Or maybe, outside of Mitro, FFC just lacks 'good' offensive talent?

ByTheRiver

A defence that is capable of working as a unit, keeping the ball of out the box, defending set pieces or keeping a clean sheet.

A midfield that is not capable of protecting the defence and offering support to prevent us being overrun on the break, whilst at the same time unable to creat chances or thread through balls to our wingers or striker. Also, one that does not contribute enough goals.

A forward line that is ponderous in thought (Knockaert and Cav) or ponderous in movement (Mitro). Also, one that does not (Mitro aside) contribute enough goals.

Forever Fulham

I think Toshes mate's post, above, makes sense.  Makes me think of how Scott played.  Cautious, deliberate, risk averse.   Remember that regular spin move he did when receiving the ball.  A pirouette like move.  And then far more often than not, a sideways or somewhat back pass would inevitably follow.  I don't recall Scott being a risk taker, ever.   

The Rational Fan

I would note you couldn't see more different managerial histories as Parker and the Brentford Manager. The current Brentford manager had very limited ability as a amateur footballer and gave it up mid 20s to start coaching under 8s football teams around 21 years ago and gradually worked his way up the age groups until being assistant manager of Brentford at 45-46 years old.

toshes mate

Just to build upon TRF's comparative exercise between Frank and Parker, how many times has the latter changed his mind about tactics this season, because he may not have sufficient belief in his own mind to stick to a plan, find players who can play to that plan and coach players to thrive playing to that plan?  Only Parker can say how much his thought process has wavered first one way and then another. Only Parker can say how much he has adapted the plan to suit players rather than adapt players to suit the plan.

I'd love Jokanovic back but the only way I can see it happening is installing a DoF who talks professional football as a language.  I am not egging to dispense with TK and would see him retaining his executive authority both over the DoF and the whole recruitment process.  But the key would be the relationship between DoF and the coaching team.  SJ knows his tactical plans and also knows how to get players to play to them and I often wonder just how many of our current first team would make the squad under his charge.  I believe that is what experience in coaching teaches you.

Skatzoffc

Siblings, let us not be down on it.
One total catastrophe like this...is just the beginning !

Luka

Quote from: Forever Fulham on December 18, 2019, 11:31:04 PM
I think Toshes mate's post, above, makes sense.  Makes me think of how Scott played.  Cautious, deliberate, risk averse.   Remember that regular spin move he did when receiving the ball.  A pirouette like move.  And then far more often than not, a sideways or somewhat back pass would inevitably follow.  I don't recall Scott being a risk taker, ever.   

This sums up his brand of football.
Cleary rated himself as a player and now thinks he can replicate both his playing style and cautiouseness at a managerial level.
Dullness personified.

Matt10

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say just because he was a certain type of player, that's the type of coach he is going to be. You know when you go through certification courses they test you on style and adaptability to certain scenarios. He wouldn't have passed demonstration if he said..."oh, just pass it backwards".

It's a possession based system. If the pass forward is not on, we pass it back to maintain possession. That's the entire concept. In Slav's system it was built to engage in a switch of the field, either directly, or sequentially.

What I was saying was that our players are playing "scared" and that they don't want to screw up. That is a big difference than "play style", it's more so that their confidence is low and that to improve confidence, the simple play is the easiest, which is usually square to feet. Yes, it stalls creative play as a result, but it builds confidence - even if temporary. When you're down in the dumps though, those temporary confidence builders will not mean anything without an end result.

What I was saying is that Parker needs to release his players a bit to be allowed to make more mistakes through direct attempts such as through balls, long balls and counter-attacks. That will ensure we get away from possession with no end result, to possession with at least creating chances. I believe confidence will be raised by not conceding inside 25 minutes, or better...the first half, and/or getting multiple shots on target.

RaySmith

I think players like Arter returning will be important - we need more steel in midfield, and to protect the back four.

Our main fault is conceding too easily, and often early, in games, and this puts pressure on the attack, makes them both too cautious and too hurried, and thus wasteful, rather than fast, confident  possession, and finding space, ending with an attempt on goal.

Building up confidence through good results will, I think make a huge diffeence, because, as said, we do have the  players to do well, when we begin to click on all cylinders as a team.

Jims Dentist

Quote from: Whitestone on December 16, 2019, 09:27:41 AM
The style of play that Scott Parker is enforcing on the players is the biggest issue IMO. It is soooo slow and ponderous. There's no excitement in our play. We need to move the ball quicker. We rarely catch teams on the counter. By the time we make the final third we rarely outnumber the opposition who more often than not have two banks of four which we struggle to break down as we look for the perfect goal.

Other than the Millwall game I can't think of another enjoyable game where we played well throughout the 90 minutes.  We have a decent squad who are underachieving. The football being dished up is so dull and predictable. Personally I hold the manager accountable. The tactics are his and he seems reluctant to change the style of play which will ultimately cost him his job because as it stands he's nowhere near achieving the target he was set. I feel sure that the manager isn't getting the best out of the squad.
Quote from: Whitestone on December 16, 2019, 09:27:41 AM
The style of play that Scott Parker is enforcing on the players is the biggest issue IMO. It is soooo slow and ponderous. There's no excitement in our play. We need to move the ball quicker. We rarely catch teams on the counter. By the time we make the final third we rarely outnumber the opposition who more often than not have two banks of four which we struggle to break down as we look for the perfect goal.

Other than the Millwall game I can't think of another enjoyable game where we played well throughout the 90 minutes.  We have a decent squad who are underachieving. The football being dished up is so dull and predictable. Personally I hold the manager accountable. The tactics are his and he seems reluctant to change the style of play which will ultimately cost him his job because as it stands he's nowhere near achieving the target he was set. I feel sure that the manager isn't getting the best out of the squad.
Well said Whitestone.
Ironically, The Wall could be above us in the table afters Saturday's games.

davew

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on December 18, 2019, 03:43:37 PM
Patience !!
That´s what Mitro must have an abundance of playing up front on his own with little support, my patience is running out!!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Facts Not Fiction