watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

A New Year Wish.

Started by bobby01, December 30, 2019, 10:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobby01

I hope the board can return to the way it used to be, where after games there were opinions made , often completely opposite, but valid in the posters own reasoning.
Some of yesterday's posts and the comments made were some of the worst I have seen on here.
Also there now seems to be a consistent chain of thought that if anyone should criticise a player they are a hater, when in many reasonable posts a point is being made. It is in my mind not a situation where you are a hater or a lover of someone, you are just stating an opinion of something that has occurred, and at the end of the day this is a football forum where views are open for debate and discussion, otherwise why are we on here.
Please let us return to a balanced board, bearing in mind our view is our view, not everyone is going to agree with it and maybe, just maybe with some reflection we realise we may be wholly or partially wrong in our assessment.
At the end of the day we are all Fulham fans wanting our team to do well, and there will always be room on here for criticism or praise. Just remember it ia all opinions.
Happy New Year to all my fellow fans.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

FFC1987

Hear hear. Happy New Year buddy. Here's to a decent 2020 for Fulham  :wine:

OtherHodgson

Couldn't agree more and probably part of the reason why I read the board every day but don't really post that much.  I don't have the time or interest in the arguments.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm not on here trying to change anyone's.  I just love my club and enjoy the reading everyone's thoughts after a match.  About the only days I don't come on are after a loss when it becomes a meltdown of negativity.  I get enough of that with the rest of the web.

Cheers, COYW and a Happy New Year to all!

Matt10

The issue I've been seeing is there has been an increase of opinion, which is fine, but it's when opinions are posted as if they are facts, and posted with such finality. Might be wishful thinking to hope that changes, but it sure would open more room for discussions.

Statto

I've deleted several posts in which I was swearing, which I'll admit looks like rather pathetic keyboard warrior stuff with hindsight this morning. Anyone with residual issues is welcome to PM me.

The tone of my posts wasn't right but they were indeed a reaction (albeit perhaps OTT) to what you quite accurately refer to as a "chain of thought that if anyone should criticise a player they are a hater"

@Matt10, you've commented above but with all due respect you're probably the single worst poster on the forum for this sort of thing, dismissing a large group of fans' views as driven by a fixation, agenda, bias, emotion etc. I've pasted below some examples, all from you in the last week or so.

If the mods were to ban me for the language in my posts, fair enough, but IMO this sort of thing is just as threatening to the forum and needs to be clamped down on for the board to "return to the way it used to be"

"We're fixated on this mentality of ..."
"Think some get too fixated on..."
"As a fanbase, it's unfortunate that we have this tendency to..."
"It scares some to get carried away because they don't want to be wrong. They'd rather be right, than happy. Things have to be done exactly as they want it."
"The problem is a lot here believe..."
"I feel like there is a strange theme brewing of supporters who don't like Parker who want to use every single bit of negative that happens to our team as a way to spite him, and validate their stance. Isn't that a bit bizarre? Am I the only one who feels that way? As if the harm to our team is wished upon so the Parker Out agenda can be carried through? Personally, I'm indifferent. There's no emotion on my side..."
"It won't be good enough for some, and that's a real shame."
"I'm not sure if that's because the agenda of "Parker Out" is overriding the context of how those matches actually went."

Matt10

Quote from: Statto on December 30, 2019, 02:11:25 PM
I've deleted several posts in which I was swearing, which I'll admit looks like rather pathetic keyboard warrior stuff with hindsight this morning. Anyone with residual issues is welcome to PM me.

The tone of my posts wasn't right but they were indeed a reaction (albeit perhaps OTT) to what you quite accurately refer to as a "chain of thought that if anyone should criticise a player they are a hater"

@Matt10, you've commented above but with all due respect you're probably the single worst poster on the forum for this sort of thing, dismissing a large group of fans' views as driven by a fixation, agenda, bias, emotion etc. I've pasted below some examples, all from you in the last week or so.

If the mods were to ban me for the language in my posts, fair enough, but IMO this sort of thing is just as threatening to the forum and needs to be clamped down on for the board to "return to the way it used to be"

"It scares some to get carried away because they don't want to be wrong. They'd rather be right, than happy. Things have to be done exactly as they want it."
"I feel like there is a strange theme brewing of supporters who don't like Parker who want to use every single bit of negative that happens to our team as a way to spite him, and validate their stance. Isn't that a bit bizarre? Am I the only one who feels that way? As if the harm to our team is wished upon so the Parker Out agenda can be carried through? Personally, I'm indifferent. There's no emotion on my side..."
"I'm not sure if that's because the agenda of "Parker Out" is overriding the context of how those matches actually went."

I'll be happy to go back to posting contextual match recaps, etc, Statto, but I stand by what I've said there. In no way am I final about what I've said, and in no way am I grouping much differently than if you were to ask me "How's the season going for FOF message board?". If you want to analyze each of the comments within context, and yet go through another back-and-forth with yet another member, by all means, go for it. You won't see me do that to you though.

This thread alone should serve as representation that the gradual build up of what I've mentioned in those [out of context] comments has been identified. We do need to go back to respecting each other, either agreeing to disagree, or in another form. I think that will be the start of a gradual balancing act towards something better.

jarv

Well said Bobby. Living in USA, I dont get to see Fulham and get my Fulham fix on this site. However, too many posts contain insulting or rude comments (as though they are facts). In the past, this was a great site with excellent opinions and much good humour. A return to that would be welcome. Even opposition supporters get on here and used to comment about how knowledegable everyone on here was. Many "older" posters have disappeared which is a shame, possibly due to the change in nature of some posts.

Southcoastffc

Well said Bobby01 and a Happy New Year to all users of this board, posters frequent and infrequent, readers and perhaps above all, those who put in the behind the scenes work which allow us to use it.   049:gif 049:gif 049:gif   082.gif
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Logicalman

Nicely put Robert, and a great example of a wish we should all have.

Happy New Year sir. 
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

JoelH5

This is the reason why I've stopped posting half as much as I used to. Just read now.
I was there, standing in the Putney end

Jamie88

I must admit it is also the reason I tend not to post as much as I used to.
It feels as though the whole board is mainly made up of around ten or so posters at times due to the petty squabbles that take place on a daily basis. Most of the threads that last more than a handful of posts quickly go off-topic and usually end up with two posters childishly trying to belittle one another. In fact some posters seem to only post to slag off someones opinion.
There are also some who only appear to post what I consider humourless drivel just to seemingly up their post count. 

hongkongfulham

Quote from: OtherHodgson on December 30, 2019, 10:23:48 AM
Couldn't agree more and probably part of the reason why I read the board every day but don't really post that much.  I don't have the time or interest in the arguments.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I'm not on here trying to change anyone's.  I just love my club and enjoy the reading everyone's thoughts after a match.  About the only days I don't come on are after a loss when it becomes a meltdown of negativity.  I get enough of that with the rest of the web.

Cheers, COYW and a Happy New Year to all!

My sentiments exactly.

Happy new year all and here's to our promotion run!

Burt

Good post...

There's a number of things at play here, but the key one is the deterioration in tone and respect. It's turned away lot of people who used to contribute much to this board.

The acid test surely is how would you discuss this face-to-face, rather than behind the anonymous safety of a keyboard, where listening, questioning, reasoning, etc. are more to the fore.

So view FOF as your virtual Kings Arms. Or whatever it's called nowadays :)

Dr Quinzel

This is one of the calmest and measured messageboards available, especially for sport! I wouldn't worry.

Dr Quinzel

Quote from: Burt on December 31, 2019, 10:07:15 AM
Good post...

There's a number of things at play here, but the key one is the deterioration in tone and respect. It's turned away lot of people who used to contribute much to this board.

The acid test surely is how would you discuss this face-to-face, rather than behind the anonymous safety of a keyboard, where listening, questioning, reasoning, etc. are more to the fore.

So view FOF as your virtual Kings Arms. Or whatever it's called nowadays :)

I think a lot of posts are read in the tone the reader expects the writer is taking, based on their own feelings re something, rather than always how the poster intended. Part of the reason why email is such a poor form of communication for many things.

clanky

I agree with many comments above and have not posted recently as I felt it was getting too aggressive and personal.

The greatest value of this board is discussing  points of interest but accepting we have different opinions. Polite debate is always good

We are defnitely playing below our potential but 3rd place isn't a crisis !

( I thought Statto's refelective comments very honourable)

We all have one thing in common in that we support Fulham through thick and thin

Best wishs to all our supporters and hope for a long winning streak  2020

I'll dip my toe in the water next year  and contribute to the board

Clanky

KingofCheese

Statto, I haven't got a horse in this race but those opinions look just like opinions  to me, balanced with the words "it seems" so therefore opinions. I would not bother with a board which is like the "Stepford wives"..all smiles and platitudes.
Jullie Kaas is mijn Kaas

gezkc

Well said Bobby01. There's been far too many personal attacks and bickering on this board and it's definitely putting people off posting.

I particularly admire the sentiment of Statto's post, but I'd argue that picking through another member's history to quote specific examples of phrases you disagree with is still a little unnecessarily confrontational.

Hopefully in 2020 we'll all be able to focus on what unites us on this board, rather than get bogged down in personal disagreements. Whether we think Parker should stay or go, we should remember we're all Fulham fans.

Worcesterwhite

Good post, that's what forums are about, everybody has their own opinions and it would be boring if we all agreed on everything. If you can't have a debate without name calling and swearing then you must have some issues.

Happy new year to all!

ffcne

Well said Statto
How easily people are offended these days.
Dear oh dear its a football message board .
Yes and agree about the certain poster named .
Who is still convinced Rui Fonte will return and knock 40 goals in .Joke