more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Liverpool Get Var Win Again.πŸ˜‰

Started by Mince n Tatties, December 29, 2019, 08:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arthur

Quote from: ALG01 on December 30, 2019, 09:43:22 AM
I would also revert to if anyone is in an offside position when the ball is played forward, then that is offside, because the game was better when it was like that.

The rule was easier to understand, but I don't believe the game was better.

Disallowing breath-taking, 30-yard, last minute match-winning strikes because a player towards the corner flag is offside is not in the spirit of the game and does not sell football as a medium of entertainment, drama and skill - quite the opposite. The authorities had this in mind when they amended the offside rule.

The same authorities, I imagine, envisaged that VAR would also add to spectators' enjoyment of the game. The paradox is that, unlike the revised offside rule which allows more goals to stand, the retrospective nature of VAR is always likely to cause fewer goals to count.

I agree, of course, that the draconian interpretation that saw goals chalked off for Norwich, Wolves and Palace this weekend ruins football (in the same way that disallowing goals in favour of penalising players nowhere near the action once spoiled games). At least this is something that can change and surely will (if only to avoid a decline in P.L. football's global television audience).

Twig

In terms of the rule I like the Souness suggestion.

But I absolutely detest the use of a panel near Heathrow, I passionately believe the monitor should be pitch-side for the referee's use. Keep VAR in the stadium where the fans and officials are not at some anonymous, nameless studio with anonymous, nameless suits in charge. The current approach is killing football but the FA are too bloody stubborn and stupid to change.

cottage expat

Quote from: Logicalman on December 30, 2019, 01:39:13 AM
Quote from: One Martin Thomas on December 30, 2019, 12:10:33 AM
Quote from: fulhamben on December 29, 2019, 11:23:47 PM
Quote from: One Martin Thomas on December 29, 2019, 11:21:11 PM
My view of VAR is simple; tough, you asked for it & you got it !

who asked for it? I don't know one person who wanted it

Every time there was a spot of controversy you would here the phrase "we have the technology, why aren't we using it " ! Come on !

Nothing wrong with the technology, it's how it is used and implemented.

The Football Authorities have, yet again, shown their incompetence in taking a tool that could be used to settle those odd times when a dispute arises, or the ref misses something "clear and obvious" (their words not mine) and cause the technology to both run and ruin the game. How is a person offside by literally centimeters, a clear & obvious error, it's not, and we all know it - unless you have a differing opinion on that, then please explain.

So don't say I asked for it, I was and am still for VAR, but I was and am not for the imbecilic manner in which it has been implemented!

I fully agree. It's not the technology it's the way it's being applied.

Nero

lets face it the technology isnt up to it, you need to know when the through played and where the receiver was at that exact time, you either need overhead or cameras every 5 yards going straight across the pitch, it meant to be for clear and obvious if it takes more than 30 secs how clear and obvious was itΒ  Β 

jarv

I agree with most, it is the interpretation and not the technology. The whole thing has been over complicated by the powers that be. Offside? It really is not that difficult. The way it is now is painful to witness.