watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Liverpool Get Var Win Again.πŸ˜‰

Started by Mince n Tatties, December 29, 2019, 08:18:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mince n Tatties

Var gives them goal,but disallowed Wolves equalizer as the guys shirt which blew in the wind offside.
Spoiling the game this nonsense is.

YankeeJim

Var should not be used for off side.It takes positioning and player intent out of context. Some of those stills of a player being offside simply because he is tallerΒ  or didn't tuck in his kit are ridiculous. I'm ok with it on the position of the ball on a goal but that's about it.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

One Martin Thomas

My view of VAR is simple; tough, you asked for it & you got it !

fulhamben

Quote from: One Martin Thomas on December 29, 2019, 11:21:11 PM

who asked for it? I don't know one person who wanted it
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,Β  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

[email protected]

Quote from: fulhamben on December 29, 2019, 11:23:47 PM

Charlie Austin did

One Martin Thomas

Every time there was a spot of controversy you would here the phrase "we have the technology, why aren't we using it " ! Come on !

Logicalman

Quote from: One Martin Thomas on December 30, 2019, 12:10:33 AM

Every time there was a spot of controversy you would here the phrase "we have the technology, why aren't we using it " ! Come on !

Nothing wrong with the technology, it's how it is used and implemented.

The Football Authorities have, yet again, shown their incompetence in taking a tool that could be used to settle those odd times when a dispute arises, or the ref misses something "clear and obvious" (their words not mine) and cause the technology to both run and ruin the game. How is a person offside by literally centimeters, a clear & obvious error, it's not, and we all know it - unless you have a differing opinion on that, then please explain.

So don't say I asked for it, I was and am still for VAR, but I was and am not for the imbecilic manner in which it has been implemented!
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

love4ffc

Agree with Logicalman.Β  VAR is not being implemented properly.Β  For me, unless you can see clear daylight between the opposing players then it's not offside.Β  Stop with all the controversial calls that are ruining the game.Β 

Oh, and by the way the ref totally interfered with play of game during the Man City v Sheff United match which lead to the Man City goal.Β  Why didn't VAR call that backΒ  :031:
Anyone can blend into the crowd.Β  How will you standout when it counts?

Jamie88

Seriously!? Not one person asked for offside decisions to be decided by a thousandth of a millimetre using either dubious software or poor implementation of it.

Neither did anyone ask for the ruling whereby if the ball flicks a little fingernail 45 seconds previous during a build-up it should rule out a goal.

Mine and most others view was that it is needed for complete howlers and nothing more.

bahay18

Every manager and pundit complained each time there was a tight offside that was missed , only take a second to check etc etc . VAR is just very clinical there is no discretion . Even if you go daylight for offside there will still be some where there is a just a fraction and var will pick it up and there will be some where it looks clear daylight but var will say no ,the hair on the back of his leg plays him on . This is what VAR is and it's not the elixir many hoped it would be .

One Martin Thomas

Quote from: bahay18 on December 30, 2019, 08:00:04 AM
Every manager and pundit complained each time there was a tight offside that was missed , only take a second to check etc etc . VAR is just very clinical there is no discretion . Even if you go daylight for offside there will still be some where there is a just a fraction and var will pick it up and there will be some where it looks clear daylight but var will say no ,the hair on the back of his leg plays him on . This is what VAR is and it's not the elixir many hoped it would be .

Thank god ! Agreed and 100% accurate !

toshes mate

Norwich's disallowed goal (v.Spurs) was as big a joke as the Wolves' offside (v. Liverpool) as simple minded people at the top of footballΒ  believe a 2D broadcast monitor has higher definition than the pairs of good human eyes paid to officiate games.Β  The offside rule is then twisted to fit into this mythical 'superb high definition' which is basically the 1080 pixels of a broadcast camera which is simply inadequate to get the mathematical angles correct to any precision at all especially in two dimensions.Β  As I have said before the error factors in camera optics far exceed the likelihood that a camera has, for once, told the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.Β  VAR is beyond a joke except for making judgements about balls crossing lines where there is reasonable grounds to doubt an official's view. Even for LBWs in cricket there are questionable problems with the technology but at least in LBWs it requires certainty (Umpire's call) when talking about the last few centimetres of doubt.Β  Football needs an equal margin to allow for technological error.

HV71

Graeme Souness made the sensible suggestion that the goals should stand if any part of the player's body is onside.
Works for me

bahay18

Yes , VAR has changed the spirit of the offside rule . If in doubt , flag stays down and advantage attacker , this has now been removed by var and it's very much advantage defender.The point about reverting to daylight would at least mean players look offside , unlike the Norwich 'goal' which looked a yard onside in the video still without the lines . The most important thing var needs to bring is consistency . When most of the decisions are opinion , is it really doing that ? I'm not sure

ALG01

my view on VAR is that it has to be implemented but they need to sort ou the rules and interpretations.
BUT most of all I am so glad we are missing this first season of it, it would have driven me crazy.

regarding the offside, the referees and authorities seem really dim. the reason for offside was to prevent goalhanging so the rule became you need two opposition players between the goal line and the first attacking player (not inteferring with play). we all knew that rule. then they started messing with it, and there are now phases of play to get round the boring rush of defenders for the offside trap, with he was intefering in the first phase but not the second...all too complicated for football a game with part of its beauty its intrinsic simplicity.Β  and now VAR, where a shirt or toe may be a mm infront of the defenders backside and that is offside.

Personally I would change the rule to what was intended, you need clear blue water between any part of the forward and the second last player from the goal line. that means any part of the body or equipment (boots or shirt or shorts or socks), otherwise it is in line and in line is onside. I would also revert to if anyone is in an offside position when the ball is played forward, then that is offside, because the game was better when it was like that.

if what I wrote doesn't make sense, I am not sure the way the third rate officials run the game, from the referees panel to the law makers, makes sense.

and every time I hear galagher asked about a descion I assume him wrong because I doubtted his integrity when he was a referee.

Logicalman

Quote from: HV71 on December 30, 2019, 09:30:21 AM
Graeme Souness made the sensible suggestion that the goals should stand if any part of the player's body is onside.
Works for me

Unfortunately that will not produce the answer for the exact same reasons as the current situation doesn't work. The issue is in the comparison between one player and anothers relative positions to each other, whichever way round they are and that won't be resolved in this way.

Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Bill2

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on December 29, 2019, 08:18:19 PM
Var gives them goal,but disallowed Wolves equalizer as the guys shirt which blew in the wind offside.
Spoiling the game this nonsense is.
You sound surprised!!!

MrFFC

VAR is the worst thing to happen to football
Come on you Whites!! :)

toshes mate

Quote from: Logicalman on December 30, 2019, 11:28:20 AM
Quote from: HV71 on December 30, 2019, 09:30:21 AM
Works for me

Unfortunately that will not produce the answer for the exact same reasons as the current situation doesn't work. The issue is in the comparison between one player and anothers relative positions to each other, whichever way round they are and that won't be resolved in this way.

It is exactly as you say since the lack of definition in a broadcasted still picture is not, and cannot be (except by extreme coincidence), a factual representation of what actually happened.Β 

What is happening in football is fatuous belief in technology which was never designed to be used in something like the present version of VAR.Β  At least Hawkeye was designed and traded as fit for purpose with no illusions (pun to be forgiven) as to its drawbacks.

HV71

I agree with you about the technology - but at least we would see more goals given . The suggestion from Souness would make it better (IMO )