News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What’s the best debut for Fulham you’ve seen?

Started by Hatch007, January 19, 2020, 11:42:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keith

Kenny Achampong v Oxford, 85 I think ?. He scored the only goal of the game and I think he scored a couple in his next game against, again I think, Carlisle. I thought he was going to be a Gem.

Spirit of 2000

Clive Walker, scored 2 including with I think his first touch. Looked class, still had tons of pace and was head & shoulders above anyone else on the pitch.

Twig

I can't remember a lot of them but I do recall being instantly impressed by a Paul Parker on his debut.

South Coast White

Agree with WM, The George Best debut for those that remember will be very hard to beat. Think it was after about 45 seconds from kick off.

Russianrob

Peter Marinello,player from the 70's also of Hibs and Arsenal fame.Had a great start but unfortunately quickly faded.

deadcowboys

Quote from: South Coast White on January 19, 2020, 03:23:04 PM
Agree with WM, The George Best debut for those that remember will be very hard to beat. Think it was after about 45 seconds from kick off.

No he was a bit slower than that, a rather sedate  71 seconds.

ffccornwall

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 19, 2020, 01:17:57 PM
I can remember in the 70s George Best making his debut for Fulham, we we're home to Wolves, we won 1 0, and George Best scored within a minute of kicking off, there was over 25,000 at the Cottage. Bobby Moore and Rodney Marsh played in that game.
On the following Tuesday I went to Peterborough to watch Fulham play them in a League Cup replay and we won 2 0, and Best scored an absolute peach of a goal, that only he would have the confidence to execute it, that goal has stuck in my mind as though it happened yesterday.
I too remember that George Best goal at Peterborough, it was absolute class. Am I right in thinking that Malcolm McDonald scored on his debut as a centre forward when he came on as a substitute?

ffccornwall

Quote from: Fulham Joe on January 19, 2020, 01:43:57 PM
I remember thinking that this guy is in a different league to anyone we have at the moment, when Chris Coleman made his debut.

That is how I remember it too.

Stevieboy

Peschisolido was a different class for the division I seem to remember.

F(f)CUK

It was Michael Cole from Ipswich. Colin Gordon had a good debut.

F(f)CUK

I was very down on Peschisolido as he never appeared to stay at a club...I was very wrong.

Sir Alec of good Stock

Quote from: ffccornwall on January 19, 2020, 03:53:36 PM
I can remember in the 70s George Best making his debut for Fulham, we we're home to Wolves, we won 1 0, and George Best scored within a minute of kicking off, there was over 25,000 at the Cottage. Bobby Moore and Rodney Marsh played in that game.
On the following Tuesday I went to Peterborough to watch Fulham play them in a League Cup replay and we won 2 0, and Best scored an absolute peach of a goal, that only he would have the confidence to execute it, that goal has stuck in my mind as though it happened yesterday.
I too remember that George Best goal at Peterborough, it was absolute class. Am I right in thinking that Malcolm McDonald scored on his debut as a centre forward when he came on as a substitute?
Best's debut was against Bristol Rovers when he scored past Jim Eadie at the Hammersmith End.
The goal at Peterborough was a lobbed volley from 20 yards. That was an incredible evening with the away end packed and 20 or so being ejected from the home end before ko.

Sir Alec of good Stock

Sean Farrell hat trick at WBA on his debut. Have any other Fulham players managed that?

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: Sir Alec of good Stock on January 19, 2020, 05:02:02 PM
Sean Farrell hat trick at WBA on his debut. Have any other Fulham players managed that?

Wasn't his debut though

HillingdonFFC

Quote from: Spirit of 2000 on January 19, 2020, 02:02:28 PM
Clive Walker, scored 2 including with I think his first touch. Looked class, still had tons of pace and was head & shoulders above anyone else on the pitch.

Anchampong was brilliant but agree Clive Walker was absolute different class that game. Totally different level to anyone else on the pitch. Was against York & he scored two

Colton F.C.

Under the lights on 05 October 1966 18 year old Jimmy Conway capped a fantastic debut by blasting in a 25 yard screamer to score Fulham's fourth goal (out of five) in a League Cup match against Wolves.  :wow:

Had to look the date up but can remember the goal as if it was scored last Saturday.

bog

Quote from: Colton F.C. on January 19, 2020, 08:44:40 PM
Under the lights on 05 October 1966 18 year old Jimmy Conway capped a fantastic debut by blasting in a 25 yard screamer to score Fulham's fourth goal (out of five) in a League Cup match against Wolves.  :wow:

Had to look the date up but can remember the goal as if it was scored last Saturday.

I remember that night. What a gem Jimmy turned out to be.

St Eve

I was at Bests debut game Woolly and if my memory is correct I think we played Bristol Rovers but I could be wrong

St Eve

Quote from: ffccornwall on January 19, 2020, 03:53:36 PM
yes against Villa I think

General

Don't really remember many debuts.. pogrebnyak I remember.. think he scored two? Mladen petric - two? Think Murphy scored a oenalty on his debut? -made an impression because Murphy was an institutional name.. was thought of as in his twilight of his career but obviously became rejuvenated at Fulham.

Most random one though, and most impact full although not sure it was because he was outstanding was Nicholas shahnoun.. came on and for the time had the fiercest strike of a ball I could remember.. he came on took a free kick and looked like it was going off course and high but and opposition player got it now the way of the strike and immediately clutched their back and nearly needed to go off.. there were a few instances where he did similarly jaw dropping stuff for a variety of reasons.. all spectacular but I think that was his one and only performance I saw of him in a Fulham shirt. Which always had me wondering why..!