watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Got that wrong....

Started by colinwhite, January 19, 2020, 01:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I Ronic

We've become such (me included) an argumentative lot on here. Given our position several weeks ago being third and four points behind 2nd even with my optimistic outlook would have been a real leap of faith.
Hector looks a great addition and I think the improvement in Josh's play is great. Knockharts comments on Sky after the game that any of the top ten teams in the Championship could grab an automatic promotion position shows at least one of the squad has a very realistic view of how things are poised.
I'm looking forward to the Charlton game. Win and we're that bit closer. Lose and well that's just the way it's always been if you've hitched your wagon to Fulham. 

Whitesideup

Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 19, 2020, 02:30:25 PM
Before we get too excited remember Onomah, Arter, Reed and McDonald have played a combined 2,743 minutes for 1 goal and 2 assists this Championship season. We seem to be leaving goals and assists to the front four, if I was the other team wouldn't bother marking players like Onomah, Arter, Reed and McDonald too much.

Maybe the point is "the front four" and that in fact some (certainly Reed and McdOonald) sit deeper so there is far less chance of them assisting goals .. their main objective to protect the back 4 and release the ball to those a bit further forward. Which is exactly why teams, especially those sitting back, don't bother marking the players mentioned. The exception may be Onomah who had two really good opportunities against Boro.

General

Quote from: Whitesideup on January 20, 2020, 04:24:56 PM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 19, 2020, 02:30:25 PM
Before we get too excited remember Onomah, Arter, Reed and McDonald have played a combined 2,743 minutes for 1 goal and 2 assists this Championship season. We seem to be leaving goals and assists to the front four, if I was the other team wouldn't bother marking players like Onomah, Arter, Reed and McDonald too much.

Maybe the point is "the front four" and that in fact some (certainly Reed and McdOonald) sit deeper so there is far less chance of them assisting goals .. their main objective to protect the back 4 and release the ball to those a bit further forward. Which is exactly why teams, especially those sitting back, don't bother marking the players mentioned. The exception may be Onomah who had two really good opportunities against Boro.

Just did the maths, at maximum each player would have played 7 games each for that amount of minutes (assuming you're playing 90 minute games). Arter has been out for a lot of time recently, Mcdonald has only just had a run of games recently. So essentially he's criticising two players for 1 goal and two assists when one is a CM/DM and the other has only just started playing regularly in Onomah.

Don't know why, but he seems to be finding stats and figures and then using them to ram home his opinion which lacks breadth of intellectual robustness just to criticise the team.

I get critical analysis is part and parcel of the game, and so is it part of looking to make constant improvements and to not rest of your laurels - but if you're going to, then do so with the widest level of perspective informing your views - not a few tidbits you pick and choose for some sort of posturing. There's a lot more that comes into being a professional footballer - tactics, what Parker asks each player to do with their role and what's expected of them.

Why didn't he pick Cairney, Bryan, Cavaleiro and Knockaert...?

Seems obsessed with the idea of proving how ineffective the team is despite the fact they're in 3rd, have the fourth best goal difference in the league, the joint highest scoring CF (level with ollie watkins of brentford who's only recently caught up with Mitro who's out for 3 games) and 9 players who've scored for us already this season.

Tabby

He probably didn't include Cavaleiro, Knockaert or Cairney as they would be part of the aforementioned "front four".

colinwhite

Arter has been injured for almost 3 months, and kmac for even longer meaning he has started 3 games all-season. Harrison read has 2 extended injury spells and Cairney ill and nd injured (not to the same degree). Even Boobby Decadova Reid had a 4 match spell on the sidelines.Add to this that Stefan johansen has been carrying a knee injury which he picked up with the Norwegian national side at the start of the season,and its hardly surprising that Parker doesnt appear to know his best starting midfield. The" scenic route " to sorting out the midfield"  or" clutching at straws " to excuse Parker ? Not in my book .