more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Got that wrong....

Started by colinwhite, January 19, 2020, 01:59:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

colinwhite

Must admit that:
Onomah looked like a real donkey when he first arrived.I wrote him off. Shows how wrong you can be.
Thought Kmacs legs had gone and wrote him off.
Never thought  Kamara could put in good displays with control upfront. Wrote him off.
Wouldnt have dropped Bettinelli for Rodak.

Parker got these things right. Well done to him.

SuffolkWhite

When your on a message board its about expressing thoughts and ideas you have about the team and invariably we get wrong/right. Any level of football is form based and even Sunday league players can grow in to a team or fail, but yes Parker does appear to be learning and he is growing in to his role as well.

The Boro game was so much better, fingers crossed we can push on now.
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

The Rational Fan

Before we get too excited remember Onomah, Arter, Reed and McDonald have played a combined 2,743 minutes for 1 goal and 2 assists this Championship season. We seem to be leaving goals and assists to the front four, if I was the other team wouldn't bother marking players like Onomah, Arter, Reed and McDonald too much.

MikeTheCubed

Not sure Parker can be credited with McDonald or Kamara given how long they were absent from the team to begin with, albeit I don't know the extent of McDonald's injury/fitness issues. Can't argue with his faith in Onamah however.

colinwhite

kamara is definitely down to parker ,brought back from exile and got a couple of really good performances out of him. kmac could have been on his way out. Even Stef j has surprised us all and given everything,despite being in and out of the team. parker is doing something right.

bill taylors apprentice

I never saw him as anything like a donkey, He was big, good touch and could shield the ball well.
I was hopeful he would improve as he got used to his team mates and there was a role in the team for someone like him waiting to be filled.
Of course it depended on his attitude and so far so good but he has to improve his finishing.

RaySmith

I'm sure that will improve.

bog

How many of us doubted Scott Parker. Through quietly getting on with his new job in life all the commendable above is down to he.  :54:

092.gif   

Statto

I think it's really scraping to barrel to give Parker credit for the fact that players aged 29 and 31 (Johansen and Mcdonald) are still almost as good as they were when they were 27 and 29 respectively. They're hardly geriatric, so I'd expect nothing less.

Also I, and plenty on here, could have told him Bettinelli wasn't good enough and were calling for Rodak to be given an opportunity.

And Kamara has been good, on and off the pitch, for years. It was only Ranieri that had a problem with him.

But I admit I was also wrong about Onomah and Parker has done really well to bring him in and motivate/coach him to his full potential.

MikeTheCubed

Quote from: colinwhite on January 19, 2020, 02:46:40 PM
kamara is definitely down to parker ,brought back from exile and got a couple of really good performances out of him. kmac could have been on his way out. Even Stef j has surprised us all and given everything,despite being in and out of the team. parker is doing something right.

My point about Kamara was that he'd been given hardly any minutes until the game Mitro was suspended, when Parker had little alternative and despite the fact that our other forwards had long been struggling to make an impact. A positive change but somewhat overdue.

millsy

I have been one of Onomah's fiercest critics but I've been watching and playing football too long to ever write anyone off. I've witnessed bang average players become very valuable to teams and conversely seen some talented players waste their natural ability through lack of effort or application.

For me Anguissa falls into that latter category and despite some flashes of brilliance, never really knuckled down. Onomah was showing the same tendencies but fortunately looks to be adapting better. I still question his reading of the game though. He seems to drift around the midfield, watching the play ebb and flow around him and only intervening just too late, often as the ball has moved on. Compare him and Arter in this aspect of their game.

I do, however, acknowledge that Josh is better on the ball and as he is gaining confidence, his ball carrying and close play is improving, to the extent that he is becoming a threat. I also accept that this brings something different to our attacking play and so long as he has a grafter alongside him, like Kev or Harry Reid, I think we can get away with Josh and Tom in the same team for most of the time.

colinwhite

Quote from: Statto on January 19, 2020, 03:19:59 PM
I think it's really scraping to barrel to give Parker credit for the fact that players aged 29 and 31 (Johansen and Mcdonald) are still almost as good as they were when they were 27 and 29 respectively. They're hardly geriatric, so I'd expect nothing less.

Also I, and plenty on here, could have told him Bettinelli wasn't good enough and were calling for Rodak to be given an opportunity.

And Kamara has been good, on and off the pitch, for years. It was only Ranieri that had a problem with him.

But I admit I was also wrong about Onomah and Parker has done really well to bring him in and motivate/coach him to his full potential.

Slavisa wrote them off last season as did the club.Good management to get them back to previous levels.As  for Parker ,you clearly dont like him and are unlikely to give him credit for much as it goes against what you have stated previously. Shame it has to be like that really.

grandad

Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 19, 2020, 02:30:25 PM
Before we get too excited remember Onomah, Arter, Reed and McDonald have played a combined 2,743 minutes for 1 goal and 2 assists this Championship season. We seem to be leaving goals and assists to the front four, if I was the other team wouldn't bother marking players like Onomah, Arter, Reed and McDonald too much.

The reason we leave scoring & assists to the front 4 is because that is their job.
Where there's a will there's a wife

cookieg

I thought KMac's legs had gone in the last friendly before the Prem season last year but he was superb on Friday and hopefully throughout the rest of the season.

Statto

Quote from: colinwhite on January 19, 2020, 05:22:22 PM
Slavisa wrote them off last season as did the club.Good management to get them back to previous levels.As  for Parker ,you clearly dont like him and are unlikely to give him credit for much as it goes against what you have stated previously. Shame it has to be like that really.

Colin, I'm not sure about you but my comments are based on facts and reasoning, not a petty dislike for, or mancrush on, a particular individual.

The irony of this sort of comment is some people (probably you) used to say the same thing when I criticised TK, and now, after his much-improved recent performance, I seem to be one of his biggest fans on here.

I'd also urge the mods to have a word because it's that sort of rudeness and ignorance that caused a mini-meltdown on here a few weeks ago and several "why can't everyone just play nice" threads

Anyway, back to the topic of the thread, Mcdonald and Johansen were dropped because we went up to a much harder league and spent £50m on two fellas from the French league to replace them. None of that implies, and I doubt anyone at the club believed, that Mcdonald or Johansen had suddenly, inexplicably become worse players.

colinwhite

By the "rudeness and ignorance",I assume you are referring to your" mini-meltdown" which resulted in abusive language and several posts which were way out of order. Lets move on from that.There were no hard feelings from me.

filham

So many of us g0t it wrong about Omomah and Parker got it right, beginingto think that perhapsParker has a better eye for talent than we do.

Our midfied is looking good but as said above we do need to see some goals from them, they need to get in the box from time to time.

Hatch007

[/quote]

and

Colin, I'm not sure about you but my comments are based on facts ...
[/quote]

I would seriously question the validity of the above assertions, Statto.

Mitro had a massive problem with Kamara over yoga [fact] that was made very public and he also had a major incident at the training ground [fact] that could have got him fired from most clubs.

Instead, Kamara was loaned out and only brought back in to the fold during the close season by Parker who also gave him the opportunity to step in for Mitro against QPR.

I would not call that "years" of being good on and off the pitch and only the most partisan would deny Parker some degree of credit for Kamara's reintegration to the squad.

General

Quote from: colinwhite on January 19, 2020, 01:59:45 PM
Must admit that:
Onomah looked like a real donkey when he first arrived.I wrote him off. Shows how wrong you can be.
Thought Kmacs legs had gone and wrote him off.
Never thought  Kamara could put in good displays with control upfront. Wrote him off.
Wouldnt have dropped Bettinelli for Rodak.

Parker got these things right. Well done to him.

Onomah was going to come good - I wasn't 100% sure but 70% - it's a lot to get a good education, mentorship and having someone believe in you and he had all of those whilst also have a good deal of athleticism and technique.

He seems to be growing with each game too and doing well from others views which is great to see and makes the sale of sessegnon look like an increasingly good deal all things considered. Let's hope it's athleticism non upwards curve into the long term future and he can hold his own in the premiership too.

AnOldBrownie

I got it wrong about MacDonald... and apparently Odoi's ability to play RB.

That's all I've been wrong about though.    I'll admit Onomah scared me for a bit, but I thought the people that wrote him off (like they did Anguissa) were judging him on a small sample size .

I'm glad my worries about him taking too long to adjust were unfounded.