watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

awful

Started by bahay18, January 22, 2020, 10:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bahay18

that was about as poor as it gets and worryingly i don't think we will play a worse team for the rest of the season. If hector doesn't win 100% of the vote for man of the match then the players mums must be voting .

Stefjo must have done something really awful to Parker to only warrant 10 mins in that game . cairney passed more balls off the pitch that found his own players and spent the whole time trying to tackle himself going round in circles .

sunday is going to be hide behind the sofa stuff

postive notes?, another clean sheet and we didn't manage to throw away at least the point

lets hope it was another blip

Sgt Fulham

Don't worry, there's plenty more dross in this division so we will get more opportunities to disappoint. As we saw previously, Charlton are capable of much more than they gave today which makes the result especially disappointing.

I'm scared we are going to get stuck in this cycle of mediocrity under Parker. Yes, we're third, and a matter of points off the top two, get a grip, but I'm just so bored of being underwhelmed every week. It's not the results, it's the performances and inconsistency that bothers me. I just cannot see us doing the business when it comes to crunch time. Can't wait to get Mitro back.

fulhamben

Hector missed a sitter so not getting my motm.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

70sPimlico

Quote from: bahay18 on January 22, 2020, 10:04:22 PM
that was about as poor as it gets and worryingly i don't think we will play a worse team for the rest of the season.

They weren't great up front but tactics nullified our midfield, they were in our faces and gave us nothing. They put their bodies on the line.

We have played and will play a lot worse

Milo

Thought Hector needs to cut those long balls out. He isn't the player to be making them.

Whitestone

It wasn't awful, more frustrating which can be explained by Charlton parking the bus in their own backyard to scrape a draw coupled with the fact we were without three key attacking players in Mitro, Knocky and Kamara who would have affected the game if available.

PaddyAddick

I wouldn't call you awful tonight at all. I think Parker was outclassed by Bowyer - we have a true gem of a manager, to be honest, and I'm sure we were buoyed by the news of his contract extension before the game.

I think you have an immensely talented squad. Cavaleiro put the shits up me every time he got the ball, as did Reid. We allowed you to get forward a lot of the time but stacked the box/parked the bus - to good effect - and you were given zero avenues in the final third. I also noticed both teams played an absurdly high line during the first half and I have little idea why. This meant that the game somewhat meandered for the first 25 minutes or so, then eventually opened up.

I think Bowyer recognising and allowing you to dominate possession played into the limited strengths of our squad. As classy as Cairney, Arter, and Bryan are as well, we did really well to show them away from goal on their favoured left pegs. This led to frustration (as is rightly pointed out above) and attacks rarely coming to fruition. I never felt as if we were going to seriously concede. Parker didn't adapt shape to target our weak spots, nor philosophy. Reid and Cavaleiro were sort of aimless up top.

I am surprised, though, that Parker didn't (negative though this tactic can sound) set up to counter-attack with a bit more pace. We usually do so - as an underdog in this division, for now - because of the speed Doughty/Williams/Green and others can all show.

Thought Hector was effortless at the back and I have no idea what happened with the header. I think Phillips was being blocked off (have just had a look and I'd say he was - this is something you are very good at doing, especially with a ref as weak as he was).

The ref - terrible. His main job is to protect the players and I never felt that was happening. Cullen put in a poor challenge on Cairney (I think); possibly another robust header on Arter who went down, and neither were fouls. Equally, Odoi nearly KO'ed Williams jumping all over him, and there was a naughty round-the-neck challenge by Reid on Lockyer after we gave away possession second half in front of you. There were other incidents too, and I thought it was a badly managed game with no consistency from the referee.

Overall though, I wouldn't sniff at a point away at Charlton, in the scheme of things. We set out our stall fairly transparently for a team working its way back to full strength and fitness, against a much more talented side. (Not to brown-nose - you just are. Comes with Shad Khan/Prem money [incidentally I'm a Jacksonville Jaguars fan].) You'll have better days where more things go right this year and I wouldn't be surprised to see you head up automatically.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: PaddyAddick on January 22, 2020, 11:46:33 PM
I wouldn't call you awful tonight at all. I think Parker was outclassed by Bowyer - we have a true gem of a manager, to be honest, and I'm sure we were buoyed by the news of his contract extension before the game.

I think you have an immensely talented squad. Cavaleiro put the shits up me every time he got the ball, as did Reid. We allowed you to get forward a lot of the time but stacked the box/parked the bus - to good effect - and you were given zero avenues in the final third. I also noticed both teams played an absurdly high line during the first half and I have little idea why. This meant that the game somewhat meandered for the first 25 minutes or so, then eventually opened up.

I think Bowyer recognising and allowing you to dominate possession played into the limited strengths of our squad. As classy as Cairney, Arter, and Bryan are as well, we did really well to show them away from goal on their favoured left pegs. This led to frustration (as is rightly pointed out above) and attacks rarely coming to fruition. I never felt as if we were going to seriously concede. Parker didn't adapt shape to target our weak spots, nor philosophy. Reid and Cavaleiro were sort of aimless up top.

I am surprised, though, that Parker didn't (negative though this tactic can sound) set up to counter-attack with a bit more pace. We usually do so - as an underdog in this division, for now - because of the speed Doughty/Williams/Green and others can all show.

Thought Hector was effortless at the back and I have no idea what happened with the header. I think Phillips was being blocked off (have just had a look and I'd say he was - this is something you are very good at doing, especially with a ref as weak as he was).

The ref - terrible. His main job is to protect the players and I never felt that was happening. Cullen put in a poor challenge on Cairney (I think); possibly another robust header on Arter who went down, and neither were fouls. Equally, Odoi nearly KO'ed Williams jumping all over him, and there was a naughty round-the-neck challenge by Reid on Lockyer after we gave away possession second half in front of you. There were other incidents too, and I thought it was a badly managed game with no consistency from the referee.

Overall though, I wouldn't sniff at a point away at Charlton, in the scheme of things. We set out our stall fairly transparently for a team working its way back to full strength and fitness, against a much more talented side. (Not to brown-nose - you just are. Comes with Shad Khan/Prem money [incidentally I'm a Jacksonville Jaguars fan].) You'll have better days where more things go right this year and I wouldn't be surprised to see you head up automatically.
The voice of reason.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

RaySmith

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on January 23, 2020, 12:00:32 AM

The voice of reason.

0001.jpeg

Statto

I think Parker was outclassed by Bowyer - we have a true gem of a manager, to be honest, and I'm sure we were buoyed by the news of his contract extension before the game.

I think you're right but with all due respect, Bowyer is no Klopp or Guardiola. He's a decent Championship manager, another Lee Johnson or Gary Rowett, and credit it to him for that, but it hardly bodes well for us that despite all the "Shad Khan/Prem money" you mention we've got a manager who's getting outsmarted by these guys week in, week out. Essentially we've Premier League players and a League One manager. 

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on January 23, 2020, 12:06:47 AM
I think Parker was outclassed by Bowyer - we have a true gem of a manager, to be honest, and I'm sure we were buoyed by the news of his contract extension before the game.

I think you're right but with all due respect, Bowyer is no Klopp or Guardiola. He's a decent Championship manager, another Lee Johnson or Gary Rowett, and credit it to him for that, but it hardly bodes well for us that despite all the "Shad Khan/Prem money" you mention we've got a manager who's getting outsmarted by these guys week in, week out. Essentially we've Premier League players and a League One manager.

Bowyer did as well as Klopp and Guardiola with that squad, but as I predicted (and everyone else already knew) as soon as Fulham starts keeping clean sheets managers against us will go to the Sam Allardyce playbook to choose Plan A "Park the Bus" or Plan B "Park the Double Bus". After getting our defence exposed in the premier league, we have opposed with fixing it only to forget like Stoke last season we need to have several ways to score against a double bus if we want 2 goals per game and right now I can see one which is lob it to the player closest to goal (whether that's Mitro, Kamara or a Hector).

Parker should have know as soon as he cuts off scoring options for the other team, he'll be facing the double bus. Bowyers tactics were perfect for a scoreless draw, but those tactics were surely also completely expected. If our defense stays this good, we will be facing double bus tactics against teams with far better defenses than Charlton, remember WBA, Leeds, Brentford and Forest will probably be happy with draws too.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on January 23, 2020, 12:26:42 AM

Bowyer did as well as Klopp and Guardiola with that squad, but as I predicted (and everyone else already knew) as soon as Fulham starts keeping clean sheets managers against us will go to the Sam Allardyce playbook to choose Plan A "Park the Bus" or Plan B "Park the Double Bus". After getting our defence exposed in the premier league, we have opposed with fixing it only to forget like Stoke last season we need to have several ways to score against a double bus if we want 2 goals per game and right now I can see one which is lob it to the player closest to goal (whether that's Mitro, Kamara or a Hector).

Parker should have know as soon as he cuts off scoring options for the other team, he'll be facing the double bus. Bowyers tactics were perfect for a scoreless draw, but those tactics were surely also completely expected. If our defense stays this good, we will be facing double bus tactics against teams with far better defenses than Charlton, remember WBA, Leeds, Brentford and Forest will probably be happy with draws too.

But if Fulham start fast and at a high tempo with width and a high press with the players we have, we are inevitably going to score first, somewhere during the 90 mins, these teams have to come out, and that's when our defence will keep even more clean sheets, and whether we like it or not there will be more 1 0 or 2 0 wins. I would love to see us score more goals, but we tried that early in the season and it proved reckless.
Last night we had three quality attacker missing, fans have to be realistic and without an open cheque book as a crutch to lean on, even Klopp and Guardiola would look ordinary.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

Mince n Tatties

Quote from: fulhamben on January 22, 2020, 10:53:14 PM
Hector missed a sitter so not getting my motm.

Same.....Hilda could have put that header away.
If that had gone in then,game would have opened up
and we'd have scored more..
Saying that even Mitro misses sitters its what happens...Cav was mom.

ffcthereligion

Thanks for your post always interesting to hear the view of an opposition fan

bog

0001.jpeg   Made for a Addictive read! Best of luck for the rest of the season. I still recall that 7-6 v Huddersfield!

KJS

Dross again on this forum! We had no recognised striker the opposition put 10 men behind the ball at home! This game was brought forward because of FA Cup so less time for preparation and recovery (yes I know ame fo CAFC) yet we made chances and once again kept a clean sheet so momentum is still there we have a free hit on Sunday then regroup get players back and play Huddersfield. This division is grueling you won't win every week and there will be ups and downs so you have to face facts and live with it👍

PaddyAddick

I think Bowyer's a much better manager than either of those two. Of course, he's only been in the job for a couple of seasons, but what he does with some of the players we have is absolutely amazing. He's absolutely the perfect fit for Charlton, which helps, but what we do when fully fit, on the less-than-shoestring budget he has had (well, until three weeks ago, so nothing's changed), is a sign of a rare talent imo. (Context: we have made 37 signings under him - 18 frees, 17 loanees, Macauley Bonne for £200k, Ben Purrington for £100k. Promotion was achieved fully in spite of the previous ownership.)

He's not Klopp or Guardiola, of course. But he's easily the best manager we've had since Curbishley and may well turn out to be a better one. I'm usually level headed - I hope! - and I realise I am sounding hyperbolic here, but the fact we are delighted with him getting a new deal after a run of one win in 17 speaks volumes.

As for Parker - I don't think he's that bad. I also don't think he's good enough. He seems reticent to make changes in style and shape, and Fulham - in the position you're currently in - can't afford for that to be the case as a perennial promotion threat with the talent you have. Maybe he'll improve with time, but I don't know if you can afford to give it to him, particularly with the backdrop of an average tenure in the Championship being around 10 months. Maybe a new broom is in order for what you want to achieve, should you not be promoted.

filham

I watched on FFCtv which failed after about an hour so I missed a third of the match. From what I saw we played well but failed to make good efforts on their goal, oh how we miss Mitro.
Can't think how to solve the immediate striker problem other than to play Stansfield against City and to tell him to go out there and enjoy himself, he will be under no pressure to expect a win.

The Rational Fan

It took Chris Hughton 14 years (from June 1993 to October 2007) to achieve what Scott Parker did in 20 months (from July 2017 to Feb 2019) that is moving from a coaching position at Tottenham to being head coach of a Premier League team. Chris Hughton worked as a coach under Osvaldo Ardiles, Gerry Francis, Christian Gross, George Graham, Glenn Hoddle, David Pleat, Jacques Santini and Martin Jol before managing a team. Chris Hughton might have actually learnt something about football from those other managers and 14 years coaching u23 etc etc. Parker needed more time as an assistant coach to perfect and practice his trade. Every experienced coach has faced the double bus and the counter attack, they shouldn't be learning it in the Championship.

Southcoastffc

I think you're right but with all due respect, Bowyer is no Klopp or Guardiola. He's a decent Championship manager, another Lee Johnson or Gary Rowett, and credit it to him for that, but it hardly bodes well for us that despite all the "Shad Khan/Prem money" you mention we've got a manager who's getting outsmarted by these guys week in, week out. Essentially we've Premier League players and a League One manager
Nail on head.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.