watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR 1917

Started by Peabody, January 28, 2020, 04:25:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

Just been to see the film 1917. In my opinion, it is brilliant, it ranks in one of my top ten films. The recreation of the trenches and the surrounding countryside matches my imagination of what it must have like. There are one or two moments that stretch the imagination but all films have those moments. Highly recommended.

HV71

Yes Peabody - truly brilliant film - watching it couldn't relax for a second . Great drama.

Slaphead in Qatar

I liked it. All filmed as one shot.

Whitestone

Saw it last Friday. Amazing piece of filmmaking. Quite breathtaking. Sure to be a contender at the awards ceremonies coming up.

Southcoastffc

Yep.  Harrowing and brilliant in equal measure. Has already garnered a sheaf of awards and nominations. Sam Mendes (who directed, produced and co-wrote it) is a phenomenal talent.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Fernhurst

I would like to recommend it also as my son was in it!
He played a Sergeant leading his squad over the top.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

Baszab

Brilliant movie - but without spoiling it for anyone - too many plot holes to beat "Once upon a time in Hollywood"

Robbie

Thought is was a bit thin plot wise ... and too clean ... They Shall Not Grow Old ... was far, far better (I know not quite the same thing).

Logicalman

## spoiler alert ##

I thought the effects were excellent, the landscape when they initially enter nml is amazing. The only drawback I found was the actual story-line was somewhat bereft of real content, and whereas I could understand a reason for the woman and child part, it seemed either too brief or not well woven into the fabric to have any impact on the story itself.

Overall, it's a movie worth seeing, but it is no Platoon, Private Ryan or Battle of Britain, though it might also be fair to conclude that very few conflict movies do live up to that kind of comparison I guess.
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Peabody

What struck me was immediate change from mud, holes and barbed wire to meadows and bird song. Amazing

elgreenio

Quote from: Baszab on January 28, 2020, 05:28:14 PM
Brilliant movie - but without spoiling it for anyone - too many plot holes to beat "Once upon a time in Hollywood"

Didn't enjoy once upon a time.... zero going on bar the final scene.

Saw 1917 last week and whilst it's good, as above it doesn't have a patch on things like saving private Ryan (can I say band of brothers as well?).

I'd imagine if you suffer from motion sickness you'll struggle with this film as well
touch my camera through the fence

Mr K.Dilkington

I haven't seen 1917 yet,but looks good. Has anybody seen Westfront? An excellent WW1 film from 1930. Would highly recommend.
Foolish ham

Andy S

I have also been to see this film and agree it was excellent with not too much over the top stuff you see in a lot of American films.

Steeeeeeeeeed

Technically Amazing, one of those real 'Cinematic Experiences' like Gravity in 3D because of its one shottedness

But like that movie also felt a bit lacking in the actual story and a bit contrived.

Felt more like an Indiana Jones adventure style movie rather than a war movie.

Still enjoyed it, but it just felt a bit hollow.

MJG

Have to say I thought it was brilliant piece of filmmaking and a bloody good film as well.
Of course the plot is contrived but very much like Apocalypse Now is a collection of set pieces meaning to showing the Vietnam war and all its madness, 1917 does similar. The contrast from the muddy trenches to the chalk ones at the end and lush green grass is a deliberate attempt to give it a mystical feeling.
It doesn't have that electric start that Ryan has, but not many films do, and ww1 is always a tricky subject to film in my opinion. I hope it wins big at the Oscar's.
Just the views of a long term fan

bog

Incredible film. Some critics have chosen to criticise it. For me near the end, when the chap is running flat out across all the gunfire determined to get his instructions delivered really got to me. 

Also when a commander tells him to 'have witnesses' if he makes it and gets to inform of the instructions as some officers 'enjoy the battle'. Makes you wonder if there were times when orders were ignored and men died because of the gun ho attitude of the officer in charge.     

Fulham1959

Quote from: Andy S on January 29, 2020, 05:48:37 PM
I have also been to see this film and agree it was excellent with not too much over the top stuff you see in a lot of American films.

Would have thought that necessary in a film about the trenches !

Jim©

Quote from: elgreenio on January 28, 2020, 07:34:05 PM

Didn't enjoy once upon a time.... zero going on bar the final scene.

Saw 1917 last week and whilst it's good, as above it doesn't have a patch on things like saving private Ryan (can I say band of brothers as well?).

I'd imagine if you suffer from motion sickness you'll struggle with this film as well

Band of Brothers is to my mind the best, by some distance, of the war "films" ever produced. It's an incredible piece of work that I've watched at least 20 times over. Made even better by it's realism and meeting the real life characters at the start of each episode.
Off to see 1917 tonight, expecting big things as there's few good WW1 films around- Paths of Glory only really good one I can think of.

rogerpbackinMidEastUS

Once upon a time in Hollywood was one of the worst films I've ever seen, sorry
VERY DAFT AND A LOT DAFTER THAN I SEEM, SOMETIMES

Slaphead in Qatar

Once upon a time was awful - should never make light of the Manson murders