more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The return of AK47

Started by JEEVES, January 29, 2020, 12:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobby01

Quote from: Statto on January 29, 2020, 04:21:08 PM
If we'd signed Mawson for £3m everyone on here would be saying he's been fantastic, a revelation, and should be one of the first names on the team sheet

I'm afraid I disagree here, not matter his price I for one could not see myself saying that. The fee is not his fault, but from what I have seen of his time here I think he has been poor.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

filham

Afraid I feel that Mawson makes a set of three failed recent centre back signings along with Spearman and Sigurdsson. Hopeful that Hector will break the mould.

FFC1987

Regardless of price tag, if we can get Mawson back to prior levels of match fitness and confidence levels, he gets into this team. But his performances particularly this year have been mostly poor, more poor than good i'd say so I'd be reluctant to bring him back in in front of other players. I still think he's not the same player after his injury but time will tell. 

Southcoastffc

Whether he cost £30m, £3m or £30k is, to me, irrelevant. IMO he has played poorly too often in his time with us.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Whitesideup

If we'd signed Mawson for £3m everyone on here would be saying he's been fantastic, a revelation, and should be one of the first names on the team sheet

Statto ... look at the replies above. Many on the forum disagree with your perception of Mawson. I don't expect you to change your views, just to respect those of others.

Sting of the North

Quote from: Whitesideup on January 29, 2020, 09:12:19 PM

Statto ... look at the replies above. Many on the forum disagree with your perception of Mawson. I don't expect you to change your views, just to respect those of others.

It was clearly Statto's view, not a claim of absolute truth, so I don't really see the problem and I certainly see no disrespect. Also, all those comments from others are made after the fact, so not really relevant to the point he's making, is it? Just like he can't prove his claim, no one here can really disprove it either.

Woolly Mammoth

Michael Hector and Alfie Mawson together in the centre would be awesome.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: Whitesideup on January 29, 2020, 09:12:19 PM

Many on the forum also think Tim Ream is having a good season. So, you know...

Motspur Park

Mawson has been a huge disappointment considering what we thought we were getting. He is competent enough for this division but I have seen nothing to suggest he would or should get anywhere near the first team if we were to get back up and recent selections indicates that Parker is thinking along those lines as well. Ream has performed better alongside Hector than with Mawson but his challenge and sending off on Sunday was a disgrace. Time will be needed for the new defenders to bed in but for now, with Ream out Mawson has to play if fit.

Statto

Quote from: Motspur Park on January 29, 2020, 11:24:53 PM
Mawson has been a huge disappointment considering what we thought we were getting.

What about if you disregard what you "thought we were getting"?

Motspur Park

I thought he was terrible at first. When he was being outpaced, he resorted to shoving, fouling and bullying attackers, often giving away cheap free kicks. He has been okay this season but has done nothing to set the world alight. Like I say, he is fine for this division but I have seen nothing to suggest he can play at the next level. I didn't see him play for Swansea but he arrived with a big reputation and I was expecting better. Regardless, my opinion is on what I have seen, not his value, which I totally get what you are saying.

Snibbo

And getting back to the original thread topic ....... credit to Scott for a) having faith in AK when just about nobody else did b) screwing AK's head back on his shoulders,  this time the right way round c) turning him into a striker we now see as a more than competent Championship player

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on January 29, 2020, 11:29:18 PM
Quote from: Motspur Park on January 29, 2020, 11:24:53 PM
Mawson has been a huge disappointment considering what we thought we were getting.

What about if you disregard what you "thought we were getting"?

I think most people think for £15m you get a player as good as Harry Maguire only younger. Even though Alfie Mawson cost less than 1/5th the price of Harry Maguire before he hurt himself tiring his shoelaces. Even Lewis Dunk, whose not young, might be £40m these days and we couldn't afford that upon promotion.

Mawson was good value at the time, injuries haven't been kind to him so his value dropped and he still improves the squad even if he is not always a certain starter going forward, but equally Mawson could turn out to be a top defender when not partnering Ream. Frankly, while Ream often looks good, everyone around Ream on the field has looked pretty rubbish for a while, I am looking forward to seeing these players (especially Bryan, Mawson and Reed) without Ream next to them.

Fulham 442

Quote from: Snibbo on January 30, 2020, 02:13:40 AM
And getting back to the original thread topic ....... credit to Scott for a) having faith in AK when just about nobody else did b) screwing AK's head back on his shoulders,  this time the right way round c) turning him into a striker we now see as a more than competent Championship player
Agreed. We have certainly missed him.  How long has AK been back in training? Could he make the starting line up Saturday? Hopefully at least the bench. Any news on Kebano?

Statto

Think you need to replace "just about nobody else" with "everybody else except Ranieri and a few posters on here"

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on January 30, 2020, 08:15:48 AM

Think you need to replace "just about nobody else" with "everybody else except Ranieri and a few posters on here"

Statto, I think you need to replace "just about nobody else" with "everybody else except a few posters on here and Ranieri after Huddersfield penalty incident". Raneri played Kamara in every single one of the game upto Huddersfield often as a super-sub and even McDonald said that Mawson and Kamara fitted Raneri's style but not many others.

I think Parker deserves some praise for i) having faith in AK when just about everyone else did too, ii) doing obvious things correct like playing Mitrovic at centre forward and not at right-back and iii) getting the most expensive squad in the league to fourth, which much better than Stoke taking the 2nd most expensive squad in the league into a relegation battle with three teams higher than you that spent less than £10m on their entire squad.

Parker is not a useless manager, but he is too inexperienced to be the best option to manage us now and once he gains that experience, if we don't get promoted, we will be too smaller club for him to stay with us. I doubt he will repay the loyalty we have shown in him when premier league teams come begging.

Snibbo

Reminds me of why I've stayed off this board for a long time.

terryr

Statto

Quote from: Snibbo on January 30, 2020, 09:52:35 AM

Reminds me of why I've stayed off this board for a long time.

Lol, really?!
If you're that thin-skinned I strongly advise against using the internet or TV or leaving the house.

Lighthouse

I think it simply comes down to a few things. Writing players off is a mistake. In the same way as praising them as a great player for the future. Fact is Mawson has looked decidedly iffy. But then he hasn't been comfortable in the position he is playing in. He doesn't seem to find playing with the other defenders we have that easy. If he plays in his right position and alongside a decent player than we will see.

As for Kamara, his speed and bulldozer approach has always outweighed his poor touch and temperament. Players are like any human being. They like to feel they belong. I have a feeling that the players seem to feel that under Parker. Hence why we have signed so many loan players on permanent contracts already.  Yes it helps us give space for more loans but players wouldn't sign if they felt unhappy. Kamara just seems to play with a little bit less tension. He still will have his problems with touch etc. But he will and always has scared defenders with his approach.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope