Pereira Joins

Started by Friendsoffulham, January 29, 2020, 07:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dodgin

Thought it was Ricardo P  we were signing

Whitesideup

Quote from: ALG01 on January 29, 2020, 07:55:14 PM
Dismal news i am afraid. It papers over the need for full backs
What exactly did he did when he was here before that should make me pleased.
Hoddle was a better choice.

Hoddle? Pundit, odd manager, hugely expensive I would guess. What did he do in his last senior role in football? And when was it?

Spirit of 2000

Great news. A sounding board for Tony Khan who actually knows about the game, unlike TK himself.

MikeTheCubed

What intrigues me is that Slavisa repeatedly stated that he had no say in transfers (contrary to the club's statements), and yet his former assistant from his time with us is now in-part responsible for "talent identification".

Simply91

Milo

Great news.

Slav back in the summer!

Spirit of 2000

Quote from: MikeTheCubed on January 29, 2020, 09:22:00 PM
What intrigues me is that Slavisa repeatedly stated that he had no say in transfers (contrary to the club's statements), and yet his former assistant from his time with us is now in-part responsible for "talent identification".

Feck me if we left it all to TK we would be lining up with Stone Cold Steve Austin and the Undertaker as our new centre back pairing!

MikeTheCubed

Quote from: Spirit of 2000 on January 29, 2020, 09:26:25 PM

Feck me if we left it all to TK we would be lining up with Stone Cold Steve Austin and the Undertaker as our new centre back pairing!

I think you missed the point? I'm not criticising it, just saying it's unusual.

HV71

Great news.

Slav back in the summer!

John the Baptist paving the way for the return of the Messiah

We can only dream .....

MikeTheCubed

Quote from: Milo on January 29, 2020, 09:25:47 PM
Great news.

Slav back in the summer!

Quote from: HV71 on January 29, 2020, 09:43:33 PM
John the Baptist paving the way for the return of the Messiah

We can only dream .....

Statto

It papers over the need for full backs

Would generally love to hear the rationale for your inference that this news is being treated as a substitute for signing, or makes us any less likely to sign, a full back...

(For the record, I'm not necessarily suggesting we'll sign a full back in the next 48 hrs. But if/when we don't, I'll attribute that to the fact we already have Kongolo, Bryan, Odoi, Christie and Sessegnon in those positions, rather than to the appointment of Pereira)

70sPimlico

When you read that he has been (is it bought or brought?) in to develop a style through all the teams, this is such great news. Now, I have absolutely no idea how influential he was in how we played under Slavisa but you have to assume he was pretty integral. If this is true and its not just code for "he's overseeing Scott and will be ready to step in if he shows signs of falling short) This is the actions of a very shrewd management team. I love thinking like this and it will nearly always pay dividends. Long game plans like this will make us very strong in the future.

I wonder if he gets straight into the training pitch, the dugout and the first team team talks. That will be quite revealing. I wonder if sp is on board with it

filham

The timing is funny, What can he do at the end of the mid season window.

How does this effect Parker's position.

Black, White and Fred

I like this very much. Slav's philosophy must be shared with him or they wouldn't have worked well together. TK is being very savy here, listening to the fans and also being humble with his own limitations. Would love Slav back though  :Haynes The Maestro:
'A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything.'

Friedrich Nietzsche

3rd Gen Fulham Fan since 1996

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Statto on January 29, 2020, 09:55:18 PM
It papers over the need for full backs

Would generally love to hear the rationale for your inference that this news is being treated as a substitute for signing, or makes us any less likely to sign, a full back...

(For the record, I'm not necessarily suggesting we'll sign a full back in the next 48 hrs. But if/when we don't, I'll attribute that to the fact we already have Kongolo, Bryan, Odoi, Christie and Sessegnon in those positions, rather than to the appointment of Pereira)

Well, it really debatable whether Tony Khan has been better doing recruitment just with scouts (like in summer 2019) or with the help of Javier and the scouts (like the summer of 2018). I still think we recruited well both summers, then the team took too long be cohesive and gel both seasons. We need to recruit now for next season, we don't want to waste half season and if we are only a second half season team then playoffs is all we can expect.

AnOldBrownie

Could you be any more condescending to an individual who has done a lot for this organization?  Damn.  Let it rest. :dead horse:

YankeeJim

Quote from: Friendsoffulham on January 29, 2020, 08:09:53 PM

Unbelievable, comments like this make me wonder why I keep this Forum going sometimes, it really does.

Nattering, nabobs of negativism.                              (Sorry Pat)
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Spirit of 2000

Quote from: AnOldBrownie on January 29, 2020, 11:43:14 PM

Could you be any more condescending to an individual who has done a lot for this organization?  Damn.  Let it rest. :dead horse:

No Tony Khan knows nothing about football and should stick to wrestling

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Spirit of 2000 on January 30, 2020, 12:48:52 AM
Quote from: AnOldBrownie on January 29, 2020, 11:43:14 PM
No Tony Khan knows nothing about football and should stick to wrestling.

We know very little about Tony Khan's and Javier Pereira's ability to assess footballer and recruit other than a) Tony Khan with Javier Pereira signed Fabri, Mawson, MLM, Bryan, Seri, Anguissa, Schullre and Mitro; and b) Tony Khan without Javier Pereira signed Babel, Hector, Cavelrio, Knockaert and Reid. If you think Tony Khan's recruitment has got worse since Javier Pereira left, then fair enough but the evidence isn't strong and some would say recruitment has improved since Tony Khan has done more himself.

Personally, I don't think any of us know what Tony Khan knows about football, other than he hasn't been in it very long and the team as a whole has been brilliant at getting player finance but not so good at using it wisely. Our recruitment overall has still been better than Cardiff, Huddersfield and Preston that haven't done getting money for player finance as well as Fulham. Tony Khan has been a great DOF at getting money and working within FFP, as for spending it he hasn't been a totally idiots (like Sunderland or Blackburn etc etc), but only a little below average and he is improving.

Twig

You really do need to loosen up a bit, must be the most negative poster on this board.  I don't see why it's dismal, many of us, yourself included, have been critical of TK's lack of footballing knowledge and now he's appointed an experienced number two.  It potentially resolve that issue. Whether he's the best available, whether the relationship will work, these are questions that only time will tell but in my book it's a sensible move.
As to papering over racks, it's totally unrelated to our transfer business.