Ream
50 (47.2%)
Mawson
56 (52.8%)

Total Members Voted: 104

Voting closed: February 29, 2020, 10:21:52 AM

simplyfulham

Quote from: ffcthereligion on January 30, 2020, 10:39:53 AM

We know the other defenders have their faults this post is not about debating collectively how bad we can be at the back.

Forgive me if this comes across as baiting, but what is this post for in that case?

ffcthereligion

Quote from: simplyfulham on January 30, 2020, 12:57:36 PM

We know the other defenders have their faults this post is not about debating collectively how bad we can be at the back.

Forgive me if this comes across as baiting, but what is this post for in that case?

It's about who is better out of Ream and Mawson?

ffcthereligion

Quote from: Statto on January 30, 2020, 12:53:48 PM
Quote from: MJG on January 30, 2020, 10:32:47 AM
Quote from: ffcthereligion on January 30, 2020, 10:21:52 AM
I have seen some frankly laughable posts on dropping Ream in favour of Mawson (in my opinion). Ream might be not quite as good as he was when we were promoted under Slav and is certainly good enough at PL level but for me he is twice the player Mawson is.

In all honesty, I think Mawson is the worst signing FFC has ever made in terms of value for money. Just look at the utter shambles of the goals conceded at Luton away, Preston (x2) and Brentford, all of which he was directly responsible for.

But football is a game of opinions so lets see what the fans think, Ream or Mawson alongside Hector?
Luton away...are you talking about the one where Ream instead of playing it long or out of play played it inside to a player (Bryan) who had a man coming up behind him and which then led to a goal?

I said the one Mawson was directly responsible for so it is clear that i'm referring to the first not the other two. We know the other defenders have their faults this post is not about debating collectively how bad we can be at the back.

2nd goal was also Ream's man that scored, Ream flat footed and nowhere near him when the ball is headed down

Clear handball not given for that goal

Carborundum

Quote from: colinwhite on January 30, 2020, 10:44:17 AM
Im pretty sure mawson has been carrying his knee injury all season. He doesnt commit and is uncomfortable in playing out. Ream by far the better footballer but is not a great defender IMO.It depends what you want.
6'4" of horribleness determined to win their personal battle please.  Mawson a closer fit to that template.  Hector made-to-measure.  Ream a million miles away.  Kongolo: TBD.  KMaC:  Don't rule it out.  Odoi: not really but he's fun to watch.

We all love how Mitro wins personal duels, struggle to understand why the other end of the pitch might be viewed differently.  Ream might be a better "footballer" than Mawson but only using criteria that would have Cairney ahead of both of them.

Matt10

Such a subjective question of two players that play in different roles on different sides of the backline. An LCB role differs completely from an RCB's role. When was the last time did you see Ream press high on the sidelines in preventing a counter-attack? One is a left footed LCB, the other is a right footed RCB who prefers to play LCB, but has been playing RCB.

AnOldBrownie

Ream...but neither is good enough to start next season.

Sent from my CMR-W19 using Tapatalk

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Statto on January 30, 2020, 12:50:03 PM
I've been one of those most actively defending Mawson on here but I don't by any stretch of the imagination think he's been fantastic overall. My comparison of the two is as follows -

Potential - Mawson is 6 years younger, and has already (before joining us) played at a much higher standard than Ream ever will, and his performances for us have been hampered by injuries and a lack of confidence, I suspect. So Mawson has far more potential.

Defending - Mawson is stronger and more mobile. Ream, when on form, compensates for this to some degree by reading the game well, but he seems to have lost that form of late. Mawson is a significantly better defender IMO.

In possession - Ream is better than Mawson in possession. Don't think anyone can dispute that. But picking a CB who's poor at defending but good in possession, is a bit like picking a striker who doesn't score any goals but is useful defending set pieces IMO. 

We're going to agree to disagree on Mawson being more mobile.  Even before his injury and he was playing well with Swansea...he wasn't mobile.

He's even less mobile now.

Ream isn't imo isn't as knowledgeable a defender...but I think he's more agile and faster.

Neither imo can start at the next level without the team as a whole focused on defending.

Maybe if we had Ngolo Kante sitting in front of them.

Sent from my CMR-W19 using Tapatalk

Sting of the North

Quote from: Matt10 on January 30, 2020, 05:46:38 PM
Such a subjective question of two players that play in different roles on different sides of the backline. An LCB role differs completely from an RCB's role. When was the last time did you see Ream press high on the sidelines in preventing a counter-attack? One is a left footed LCB, the other is a right footed RCB who prefers to play LCB, but has been playing RCB.

I'm not sure that it is correct to state that "An LCB differs completely from an RCB's role". Seems like quite the exaggeration to me as I think they are reasonably comparable.

Milo

Baffled Mawson has won this.

Slow and error prone. Can't pass to save his life.

Ream at least has good games and can spot a pass.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Milo on January 30, 2020, 09:08:28 PM

True, but slightly quicker and error prone describe's Ream as well.    Even though I think the lack of pressing by most championship sides allows Ream to look better than he is.

He had a bad game recently, but if i absolutely had to partner a defender with Hector who wasn't Kongolo...against the likes of West Brom, Leeds, Forest or Brentford...it'd be Ream.

imo Mawson's main selling point right now is his leadership in the back...and I think Michael will prove to be a much better leader than him.   I think Ream is better at being told what to do and actually implementing it than Mawson is.   

Whitesideup

Quote from: Milo on January 30, 2020, 09:08:28 PM

+1

The Rational Fan

The Mawson-Ream partnership is one we need to avoid revisiting, as better partnerships include Hector-Ream, Hector-Mawson, Hector-Kongolo, Mawson-MLM, MLM-Ream, Odoi-Ream and many more that haven't been tried. I haven't seen Mawson be a bad defender except with Ream and maybe he isn't bad with other players.

RaySmith

Yes, he might work better with someone else apart from Ream.

He is a decent player, and may do a lot better if the  defence  generally seems to be playing with more confidence.

The Rational Fan

If Mawson is fit for Huddersfield, due to the availability of players he'll surely play and then he just needs to prove Rodak-Hector-Mawson equals clean-sheets.

toshes mate

A conversation I overheard after the game against City:

A to B) " It's a bit strange that our two most consistent defenders, Odoi and Ream, have been red carded this season, isn't it?"
B to A) " Not really.  They're the only two of our defenders that actually get close enough to an opponent to commit a red card offence."

As to this thread my first thought was 'Oh so this is how to avoid making someone, anyone, a scapegoat without actually using the word'.  I haven't voted because I just don't see how you can make a fair comparison without some factual evidence rather than opinion loosely based around preformed opinion/bias/prejudice.  FFC haven't had a truly goal stopping defensive formation in years and that must be a factor when assessing players mustn't it?     

Whitesideup

Quote from: toshes mate on January 31, 2020, 09:18:40 AM

A to B) " It's a bit strange that our two most consistent defenders, Odoi and Ream, have been red carded this season, isn't it?"
B to A) " Not really.  They're the only two of our defenders that actually get close enough to an opponent to commit a red card offence."

As to this thread my first thought was 'Oh so this is how to avoid making someone, anyone, a scapegoat without actually using the word'.  I haven't voted because I just don't see how you can make a fair comparison without some factual evidence rather than opinion loosely based around preformed opinion/bias/prejudice.  FFC haven't had a truly goal stopping defensive formation in years and that must be a factor when assessing players mustn't it?     
1) This thread is not about making anyone a scapegoat.
2) Factual "evidence" in football is in itself nigh on impossible as all facts are mitigated by subjective opinions about why they came about.
3) Well, this thread clearly relies on your preformed opinion of the players even if you had not made a direct comparison of the two prior to expressing an opinion. If it's not preformed, how could you have an opinion?
4) This is the whole point of a forum, to exchange views and opinions. Is there a point to it? No, apart from us enjoying doing it, and if we don't then, well, Tesco's is open 24 hours. We don't have to participate.

But apart from that, I agree with nearly everything.

Whitesideup

Quote from: Whitesideup on January 31, 2020, 03:34:18 PM
Quote from: toshes mate on January 31, 2020, 09:18:40 AM

1) This thread is not about making anyone a scapegoat.
2) Factual "evidence" in football is in itself nigh on impossible as all facts are mitigated by subjective opinions about why they came about.
3) Well, this thread clearly relies on your preformed opinion of the players even if you had not made a direct comparison of the two prior to expressing an opinion. If it's not preformed, how could you have an opinion?
4) This is the whole point of a forum, to exchange views and opinions. Is there a point to it? No, apart from us enjoying doing it, and if we don't then, well, Tesco's is open 24 hours. We don't have to participate.

But apart from that, I agree with nearly everything.

PS - I also don't mind if we concede the odd goal .. as long as in that game we score more than the oppo.

Stoneleigh Loyalist

Rumour on another Fulham site that Mawson is on his way. Where has this originated from or is it a wind up?

Dr Quinzel

Quote from: Matt10 on January 30, 2020, 05:46:38 PM

As someone who only ever played centre half, on either side as required..... WHAT?!?

The role is exactly the same, but some players simply have preference depending on their body shape off of the ball and natural ability with either foot.