Who is better?

Ream
50 (47.2%)
Mawson
56 (52.8%)

Total Members Voted: 104

Voting closed: February 29, 2020, 10:21:52 AM

ffcthereligion

I have seen some frankly laughable posts on dropping Ream in favour of Mawson (in my opinion). Ream might be not quite as good as he was when we were promoted under Slav and is certainly not good enough at PL level but for me he is twice the player Mawson is.

In all honesty, I think Mawson is the worst signing FFC has ever made in terms of value for money. Just look at the utter shambles of the goals conceded at Luton away, Preston (x2) and Brentford, all of which he was directly responsible for.

But football is a game of opinions so lets see what the fans think, Ream or Mawson alongside Hector?

MrFFC

Kongolo should partner Hector.

From these 2 I would go with Mawson he has note Premier League potential next to the right partner
Come on you Whites!! :)

ffcthereligion

Quote from: MrFFC on January 30, 2020, 10:24:00 AM
Kongolo should partner Hector.

From these 2 I would go with Mawson he has note Premier League potential next to the right partner

You might be proven right in time but i don't see how you're qualifying that opinion from today's perspective. You can only have seen him play 90 mins in a 4-0 defeat or when we played Huddersfield.

MJG

Quote from: ffcthereligion on January 30, 2020, 10:21:52 AM
I have seen some frankly laughable posts on dropping Ream in favour of Mawson (in my opinion). Ream might be not quite as good as he was when we were promoted under Slav and is certainly good enough at PL level but for me he is twice the player Mawson is.

In all honesty, I think Mawson is the worst signing FFC has ever made in terms of value for money. Just look at the utter shambles of the goals conceded at Luton away, Preston (x2) and Brentford, all of which he was directly responsible for.

But football is a game of opinions so lets see what the fans think, Ream or Mawson alongside Hector?
Luton away...are you talking about the one where Ream instead of playing it long or out of play played it inside to a player (Bryan) who had a man coming up behind him and which then led to a goal?
Just the views of a long term fan

The Rational Fan

The way we talk about our defensive problems you wouldn't believe we have only conceded 30 goals in 29 games with two top reinforcements this window. Frankly, I think our problem is Mitrovic could break the record for most goals in a championship season and we still might be 6th for goals scored (with Knockaert, Reid, Cairney and Cav) at the end of the season .

Ronnief

I have been very disappointed with both of them this season.  The number of crosses they miss is high and the presence of Hector has shown up their weaknesses. Ream is good at bringing the ball out of defence but when being closed down and defending he is not so good. Mawson has also disappointed and his positioning and heading ability has also not been good. Looking forward to Hector and Kongolo playing together most of the time. 

ffcthereligion

Quote from: MJG on January 30, 2020, 10:32:47 AM
I have seen some frankly laughable posts on dropping Ream in favour of Mawson (in my opinion). Ream might be not quite as good as he was when we were promoted under Slav and is certainly good enough at PL level but for me he is twice the player Mawson is.

Luton away...are you talking about the one where Ream instead of playing it long or out of play played it inside to a player (Bryan) who had a man coming up behind him and which then led to a goal?

I said the one Mawson was directly responsible for so it is clear that i'm referring to the first not the other two. We know the other defenders have their faults this post is not about debating collectively how bad we can be at the back.

charlieFFC

I was going to make this exact poll last night.

Said it on another thread, both have been disappointing this season but Mawson has a higher ceiling and therefore gets my vote.

Ream is probably more consistent at championship level but will never do a job in a prem side. Mawson has shown he can do well in the prem (albeit not with us) and I feel with the right partnership he is the answer.

ByTheRiver

ByTheRiver

Hold on... "Ream might be not quite as good as he was when we were promoted under Slav and is certainly good enough at PL level" and you are talking about 'frankly laughable posts'??  :005: :005: :005:

:005:

Sorry.

This might be the funniest post I've ever seen on this board (and that is up against some tough, Champions League level, opposition).

colinwhite

Im pretty sure mawson has been carrying his knee injury all season. He doesnt commit and is uncomfortable in playing out. Ream by far the better footballer but is not a great defender IMO.It depends what you want.

ffcthereligion

Quote from: ByTheRiver on January 30, 2020, 10:42:55 AM

Hold on... "Ream might be not quite as good as he was when we were promoted under Slav and is certainly good enough at PL level" and you are talking about 'frankly laughable posts'??  :005: :005: :005:

Sorry.

This might be the funniest post I've ever seen on this board (and that is up against some tough, Champions League level, opposition).

Happy to amuse. How do you come to find Mawson more convincing then?

gang

They are both as bad as each other.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: ffcthereligion on January 30, 2020, 10:52:04 AM

Sorry.

It's not so much that. It was the Ream being more than good enough for the premier league.

ffcthereligion

Quote from: ByTheRiver on January 30, 2020, 11:05:39 AM

Sorry.

It's not so much that. It was the Ream being more than good enough for the premier league.

Oh goodness me i forgot to include the NOT! Excellent spot from you i will have to edit my post

Woolly Mammoth

Neither has impressed over all this season, I feel that Ream is in the decline compared to what he was and has become vulnerable, and although Mawson has not played as well as he is capable of, and that I consider is a lot to do with the issue of his knee. So he is just not firing on all cylinders. Nevertheless, alongside Hector he could be a far better player. So for me I would prefer Alfie Mawson.
As for Kongolo I have not seen enough of him, but the thread is not about Kongolo, it's about who out of Alfie and Tim would we prefer, and I would prefer Alfie Mawson.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

filham

Until the disaster at the start of the City game Ream was having a good season and once again drawing cheers from his fans at the Cottage.
I like Ream and his action on Sunday was so out of character that it was hard to believe it was him.
Mawson continues to disappoint, he arrived at the Cottage with a good reputation that he has never lived up to and has suffered from injury. it is still questionable if he is 100% fit.

Statto

I've been one of those most actively defending Mawson on here but I don't by any stretch of the imagination think he's been fantastic overall. My comparison of the two is as follows -

Potential - Mawson is 6 years younger, and has already (before joining us) played at a much higher standard than Ream ever will, and his performances for us have been hampered by injuries and a lack of confidence, I suspect. So Mawson has far more potential.

Defending - Mawson is stronger and more mobile. Ream, when on form, compensates for this to some degree by reading the game well, but he seems to have lost that form of late. Mawson is a significantly better defender IMO.

In possession - Ream is better than Mawson in possession. Don't think anyone can dispute that. But picking a CB who's poor at defending but good in possession, is a bit like picking a striker who doesn't score any goals but is useful defending set pieces IMO. 

ByTheRiver

Quote from: ffcthereligion on January 30, 2020, 11:08:00 AM
Quote from: ByTheRiver on January 30, 2020, 11:05:39 AM

Sorry.

Oh goodness me i forgot to include the NOT! Excellent spot from you i will have to edit my post

Ah, in that case, my apologies! I thought you were digging at those who felt Ream was not good enough for the premier league.

As you were then. We sort of agree with each other (though I still feel Mawson is, marginally at the moment admittedly, the better bet).

Statto

Quote from: ffcthereligion on January 30, 2020, 10:39:53 AM
Quote from: MJG on January 30, 2020, 10:32:47 AM

I said the one Mawson was directly responsible for so it is clear that i'm referring to the first not the other two. We know the other defenders have their faults this post is not about debating collectively how bad we can be at the back.

2nd goal was also Ream's man that scored, Ream flat footed and nowhere near him when the ball is headed down