watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Not Supporters

Started by Dodgin, February 02, 2020, 12:32:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HamsterWheel

Hard to talk about swearing when our main song contains "Stick your blue flag up yer arse".
Sung by just about everyone, though my 9 year old changes arse to bum.
Swearing in moderation and frustration totally acceptable. It's what we pay our money to do!
Constant effing and C'ing not really.

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Statto on February 03, 2020, 12:44:19 PM
Quote from: epsomraver on February 03, 2020, 12:18:21 PM
I despair when at a match earlier in the season, in the JH stand,  when a "Fulham fan" with a young son around 8 years of age shouted out " Cairney you are a C***t",  his 8 year old then copies his Dad and shouts the same thing! , is that acceptable behaviour anywhere let alone at a football match.

No problem at all with that language... if it's directed at the ref or opposition
But if people are directing it at our own captain then yes they are "not supporters"
That strikes me as being remarkably hypocritical. As to swearing generally, I think it's a question of degree and the problem is that "reasonable" is an indefinite concept.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

RaySmith

Quote from: Fulham1959 on February 03, 2020, 01:32:16 PM
Quote from: Statto on February 03, 2020, 12:44:19 PM
Quote from: epsomraver on February 03, 2020, 12:18:21 PM
I despair when at a match earlier in the season, in the JH stand,  when a "Fulham fan" with a young son around 8 years of age shouted out " Cairney you are a C***t",  his 8 year old then copies his Dad and shouts the same thing! , is that acceptable behaviour anywhere let alone at a football match.

No problem at all with that language... if it's directed at the ref or opposition
But if people are directing it at our own captain then yes they are "not supporters"

We must agree to differ, then.  In my book, using the 'c' word in such a manner, in public, is not acceptable at any time or in any place.  It is irrelevant who it is aimed at.
Quote from: HamsterWheel on February 03, 2020, 01:34:58 PM
Hard to talk about swearing when our main song contains "Stick your blue flag up yer arse".
Sung by just about everyone, though my 9 year old changes arse to bum.
Swearing in moderation and frustration totally acceptable. It's what we pay our money to do!
Constant effing and C'ing not really.

I agree that the example quoted was pretty abhorrent - directed at a Fulham player especially, but how can you differentiate one swear word from another if you're going to ban someone for the use of that word, or for aggression towards a Fulham player.

Is it right to ban people for these things, much as we may dislike them?

I think people should be made aware by those around them if they are transgressing their values of what is acceptable.

(Just a quote cleanup - Mod)

Hatch007

Quote from: HamsterWheel on February 03, 2020, 01:34:58 PM

You surely don't mean you pay your money in order to swear in moderation and frustration?

I pay to be entertained.

Woolly Mammoth

Perhaps we should introduce swear boxes placed in strategic positions scattered around the Cottage, especially one near where Statto is located. Could make a small fortune in a short space of time, might need the boxes to be of a large size though.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

johnmac

Quote from: grandad on February 03, 2020, 12:35:25 PM
I abhor people whose every other word is the F word to emphasize what they are saying. They don't even know they are doing it.
seems we have some fans stuck in the 1960's
this is 2020 and swearing in front of women and children in public is NOT acceptable
abuse of any kind is being stamped out by the club and good for them

ALG01

Quote from: charlieFFC on February 03, 2020, 11:45:15 AM
Quote from: Statto on February 03, 2020, 11:15:30 AM
Sorry but the way things are going, a trip to the Cottage will soon be like going to the tennis or opera.

If swearing was banned I'd stop going. Simple as that. It's embarrassing enough already. Watching the footage back of Cairney's goal on Saturday, put the sound up and all you can hear is the Huddersfield fans singing "this is a library..."

This thread will probably end up on Twitter shortly, compounding our status as the world's softest, most boring fans (not that we are under any threat in that position, anyway).

100% this.

Gutted I haven't been able to make more away games this season, all around atmosphere is infinitely better and points that have been made in this thread aren't considered issues.

The need for safe standing has never been clearer to separate.

I am by no means saying that the people in OP are "good fans", but their should definitely not be a blacklist for fans that swear.

I cannot agree with either of you./ What we are talking about is objectionable behaviour. When I took my oldest boy to brentford many years ago and there were only a handful of us behind the goal a group of half a dozen or so very, what seemed to be,  unpleasant thugs walked in chanting obscenities, they situated themselves near us, saw a child and their so called leader took one look at my boy and told the others in no uncertain temms to moderate their language and 'behave.' I smield at the man, and thanked himand was ashamed of myself for doubting proper fulham behaviour, no body should have to put up with inappriopriate behaviour or language and be told it is 'creating an atmosphere!'

Second. Away from home much of the behaviour is OK but much is not and what really annoys me is the minority insisting on standing, as a reult at brighton last season I missed our second goal in its entirety. If everyone stands I simply cannot see the game and worse, just getting older means I do not want to stand for 90 minutes. The minority stand and are unpleasant if you tell them to sit.

I cannot ever accept it is necessary to satnd to create and atmosphere.. it isn't a concert where dancing takes place.... you can just as easilly sing when you are sitting and it has the advantage of being able to see properly.

Carborundum

Agree that swearing is part and parcel of football, as is the airing of daft opinions.  Racism, Sexism, Homophobia all breach the law and the simple rule that football is for everyone.  Absolutely everyone.  That means idiots cannot be allowed to come between people and the sport they love.

With respect to kids, I'd hate for people to read this thread and decide not to bring their kids to the Cottage.  Ten years ago I did a deal with my five year old son before his first game.  Simply: "If you go to the football you will hear bad language.  If you use bad language you don't go to the football".  He's stuck to the deal ever since.  And given me a wry stare when, just once or twice, I might have fallen off the wagon so to speak.

bobbo

Quote from: Logicalman on February 03, 2020, 11:57:36 AM
Quote from: MikeTheCubed on February 03, 2020, 09:35:51 AM
The club should have a dedicated block for supporters who want to swear  086.gif.

They do, it's situated in S Africa Rd, Shepherd's Bush.
i was sat in that very stand recently twice for their games v Leeds and the Sheffield wed games and the language around me was off the rails , despite there being many kids there.
1975 just leaving home full of hope

Logicalman

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 03, 2020, 02:11:26 PM
Perhaps we should introduce swear boxes placed in strategic positions scattered around the Cottage, especially one near where Statto is located. Could make a small fortune in a short space of time, might need the boxes to be of a large size though.

Perhaps one on the side of the pitch at each end as well, considering the amount the players swear when missing a shot, getting booked, getting fouled ....
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

Logicalman

Quote from: bobbo on February 03, 2020, 04:39:17 PM
Quote from: Logicalman on February 03, 2020, 11:57:36 AM
The club should have a dedicated block for supporters who want to swear  086.gif.

They do, it's situated in S Africa Rd, Shepherd's Bush.
i was sat in that very stand recently twice for their games v Leeds and the Sheffield wed games and the language around me was off the rails , despite there being many kids there.

I schooled in that area, and I fully understand that!   :012:
Logical is just in the name - don't expect it has anything to do with my thought process, because I AM the man who sold the world.

hovewhite

This type of behavior is all to commonplace today in general at the cottage now it's the norm it seems

davew

How about on the Thames, named the Alcatraz block?
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)

Fulhamfan666

If you get offended by hearing swear words occasionally at a football game then maybe this isn't a sport for you haha

RaySmith

Quote from: johnmac on February 03, 2020, 02:36:21 PM
Quote from: grandad on February 03, 2020, 12:35:25 PM
I abhor people whose every other word is the F word to emphasize what they are saying. They don't even know they are doing it.
seems we have some fans stuck in the 1960's
this is 2020 and swearing in front of women and children in public is NOT acceptable
abuse of any kind is being stamped out by the club and good for them

I frequently hear women swearing these days, and have often heard  women use the 'c' word in films and on TV and  the radio.
And the kids where i live could teach me a few swear words.

Do you really think we can, or should, completely sanitise football?

Yes, we should  try to prevent  racist or homophobic abuse, but to ban people for swearing at a football match!
Try going to Anfield and announcing that, or  St. James Park or Selhurst Park - all clubs known for their passionate  fans.

Why should young children  , often babes in arms,  bought to  games by their parents, dictate to us what we should do?

When I was young it was still 'spare the rod and spoil the child'. and thank God we have got away from those days, but now we've maybe gone too far the other way, become too child centric in some ways, while some kids are still deprived and can't even get a decent education, or their parents even afford a decent meal for them and have to go to food banks.

I Ronic

My daughters school had some sort of tie up with the London Broncos  so I used to take them to the Stoop. Being the only southern club in Rugby league, all the opposition were northern teams. The support was vocal and the banter was always very funny. I dont ever recall any bad language and always enjoyed taking the girls there. Just don't agree that bad language and support are one and the same thing as some do here.

Penfold

Quote from: ALG01 on February 03, 2020, 04:00:26 PM
Quote from: charlieFFC link=topic=744e43.msg1114935#msg1114935 date=1580730315
Quote from: Statto on February 03, 2020, 11:15:30 AM
Sorry but the way things are going, a trip to the Cottage will soon be like going to the tennis or opera.

If swearing was banned I'd stop going. Simple as that. It's embarrassing enough already. Watching the footage back of Cairney's goal on Saturday, put the sound up and all you can hear is the Huddersfield fans singing "this is a library..."

This thread will probably end up on Twitter shortly, compounding our status as the world's softest, most boring fans (not that we are under any threat in that position, anyway).

100% this.

Gutted I haven't been able to make more away games this season, all around atmosphere is infinitely better and points that have been made in this thread aren't considered issues.

The need for safe standing has never been clearer to separate.

I am by no means saying that the people in OP are "good fans", but their should definitely not be a blacklist for fans that swear.

I cannot agree with either of you./ What we are talking about is objectionable behaviour. When I took my oldest boy to brentford many years ago and there were only a handful of us behind the goal a group of half a dozen or so very, what seemed to be,  unpleasant thugs walked in chanting obscenities, they situated themselves near us, saw a child and their so called leader took one look at my boy and told the others in no uncertain temms to moderate their language and 'behave.' I smield at the man, and thanked himand was ashamed of myself for doubting proper fulham behaviour, no body should have to put up with inappriopriate behaviour or language and be told it is 'creating an atmosphere!'

Second. Away from home much of the behaviour is OK but much is not and what really annoys me is the minority insisting on standing, as a reult at brighton last season I missed our second goal in its entirety. If everyone stands I simply cannot see the game and worse, just getting older means I do not want to stand for 90 minutes. The minority stand and are unpleasant if you tell them to sit.

I cannot ever accept it is necessary to satnd to create and atmosphere.. it isn't a concert where dancing takes place.... you can just as easilly sing when you are sitting and it has the advantage of being able to see properly.

Think you have put your points very well here. However, having attended a couple of games on the continent last season, I think there's a case for safe standing as it is known. At one ground, a small corner with the 'ultras' is based there. I was in the seats next to them. I'd imagine it's not for the faint hearted but excellent support for the team.

Germany was interesting in standing area sold out first(€13 for top flight, not surprised) . Paid double for a seat at the other end, but in the away corner, a standing area where the lively visitors were.

gezkc

The worst swearing/abuse I heard at the Cottage wasn't actually at a live match, but at the Reading - Fulham play off semi final when the club showed the Reading leg on a big screen on the pitch.

Admittedly it was a frustrating match and a disappointing day, but we were sitting in front of a small group of people who were shouting all sorts of abuse at the players and referee, calling them c*nts etc. I looked round to see who it was and was surprised to see it was two fairly innocuous looking elderly men and an elderly woman. It was actually the woman who was the worst of them and she even started getting aggressive with my wife, nudging her in the back and trying to antagonise her.

I understand we can all get a bit worked up watching a game, particularly when it's not going well, but I really couldn't understand the level of hatred coming from their mouths, especially when the match was being played 50 miles away! It's not as though the players could hear their "words of encouragement"!

HamsterWheel

My first footy match was a rainy Saturday night game between Cardiff and Millwall in about 1977.
Football was rubbish (think it was 0-0) but don't recall much as was too busy avoiding the fights between Cardiff fans and Cardiff fans.
And watching through the chainlink fence as a steward walked up and down. He was wearing a brown raincoat and a flat cap, and it seemed the done thing was to spit at him. Pretty much every square inch of him, face included, had a blob of spit on.
But I can't remember much swearing.....

filham