watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Atmosphere

Started by Andy S, February 03, 2020, 11:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andy S

I thought the atmosphere at the Cottage was pretty good on Saturday. Do we need the clappers anymore? I am also glad we have never had a need for goal time music to celebrate goals

Southdowns White

I thought it was particularly bad on Saturday. Do we not have any quick witted fans among the standing group at the back of the Hammi end anymore. Back in the bad old days people would start or adapt existing songs usually with a dose of humour thrown in as the game went on. There seems to be a lack of general support particularly to suit the tempo of the game at any one point in the game. A lot of our supporters are a little to sanitised compared to the past and many don't seem to have that same historical background of coming to games from an early age. There were always moments in games when the home supporters would all join together to back the team, I remember going way back when a group of that blue lot from up the road stood at the back of the Hammersmith end chanting, after a period of us attacking their goal they were out sung by the whole of the Hammersmith end Chanting 'Come on you Whites' and Come on Fulham.
I think Clappers are only allowed because the sound they make does not go above a certain non safe level!

Maidstone Lee

Where we sit in the Hammersmith End (H4 about half way down) people seem more content to sit and chat and not sing. No problem with that of course but you're in the minority if you do want to sing along. Our atmosphere has been declining for some time, way before they knocked the Riverside down.
Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19

MikeTheCubed

I thought it was one of our poorest atmospheres of the season from the back of H4, even at 3-0. Not helped by the oncoming cold wind.

Agree we should reduce the number of clappers though.

_Putney_

Average i thought, on saturday. But it's been good this season. Putney end getting involved... love the clap clap clap fulham! chant come through the johnny haynes and then to the hammersmith end

ffcthereligion

When i was in my teens i used to stand at the back of h5 and make a racket but i'm too old for that now and enjoy sitting towards the front of h6.

I have noticed that we appear to have become more insular an factional as a fanbase. Often the songs that we come up with are never likely to catch on amongst the fanbase as a whole but it is not the intention to do so anyway. Just look at the Maxime La Marchand and Stefan Johansen songs which are often only sung by a minority of 200

Jim©

We could be as bad as this lot, having to post the words of their songs online:
https://griffinpark.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32604
To be fair half of it is funny for the wrong reasons, half funny for the right.

Fernhurst

The problem is the demographic. Far, far too many old crusties like me.
When the Fulham area returns to working class who refuse to take their girlfriends with them to football then the atmosphere will return to full blown volume 10.
The atmosphere's fresh and the debate lively.

hovewhite

Quote from: Fernhurst on February 03, 2020, 06:45:39 PM
When the Fulham area returns to working class who refuse to take their girlfriends with them to football then the atmosphere will return to full blown volume 10.
correct!

_Putney_

My season ticket holding wife sings a lot and is louder than a lot around her... think the problem might be you old crusties.

Robbie

Having an empty Riverside end does not help.  The new stand will be much more Wrap-Around.

Mr K.Dilkington

The only way Fulham's atmosphere will improve (and this goes for all clubs in England) is to embrace more "ultra/s" football culture e.g Bundesliga-esque. Our fan demographic is horrible as is proof with all the coffin dodgers on here lol.
Now I know that is a dig lol and your support over the years has been great...what I'm trying to say is you're not the future and the club need to engage more with younger fans to attract new ffc fans. And young fans(for the most part) are more energetic/vocal etc. My point is we need to revolutionize the fan culture of this club to complete with the other 15 professional clubs in london and further a field to keep the fan base strong for years to come.
Foolish ham

Ged

Quote from: _Putney_ on February 04, 2020, 06:59:13 PM

My season ticket holding wife sings a lot and is louder than a lot around her... think the problem might be you old crusties.
I think the problem is the snowflake generation to busy looking at their phones the older fans were much more vocal in their day

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: Ged on February 04, 2020, 10:42:07 PM

I think the problem is the snowflake generation to busy looking at their phones the older fans were much more vocal in their day

Yes I agree,
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 04, 2020, 10:56:24 PM

Yes I agree,

Yes, but the more vocal fans such as those at Newcastle and Sunderland haven't helped these teams. While the "snowflake generation fans" don't create much volume to yell support, the older fans tend to yell more abuse too when players are underperforming.

The problem is the "snowflake generation" are not only the fans but also the players, these players were in school a few years ago getting participation awards for trying and failing to swim 10m are now getting abuse for stopping five attacks by Paul Pogba and failing on the sixth. "Snowflake Generation Fans" are in many ways better supporters of "Snowflake Generation Players" than older fans.

Most clubs biggest problem is not only relegation, but the loss of money that occurs when players lose confidence start appearing on the balance sheet as deadwood that if sold will incur a loss that prevents a club buying new players to get them back up. "Snowflake generation players" lose confidence more easily. In conclusion, the negative feedback from "non-snowflake fans" to "snowflake players" hurts clubs more than the benefit that "non-snowflake fans" provide in terms of noisy support.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: The Rational Fan on February 05, 2020, 01:43:15 AM

Yes I agree,

Yes, but the more vocal fans such as those at Newcastle and Sunderland haven't helped these teams. While the "snowflake generation fans" don't create much volume to yell support, the older fans tend to yell more abuse too when players are underperforming.

The problem is the "snowflake generation" are not only the fans but also the players, these players were in school a few years ago getting participation awards for trying and failing to swim 10m are now getting abuse for stopping five attacks by Paul Pogba and failing on the sixth. "Snowflake Generation Fans" are in many ways better supporters of "Snowflake Generation Players" than older fans.

Most clubs biggest problem is not only relegation, but the loss of money that occurs when players lose confidence start appearing on the balance sheet as deadwood that if sold will incur a loss that prevents a club buying new players to get them back up. "Snowflake generation players" lose confidence more easily. In conclusion, the negative feedback from "non-snowflake fans" to "snowflake players" hurts clubs more than the benefit that "non-snowflake fans" provide in terms of noisy support.

You have lost me there I am afraid.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: Woolly Mammoth on February 05, 2020, 06:31:20 AM
Quote from: The Rational Fan on February 05, 2020, 01:43:15 AM

Yes I agree,

You have lost me there I am afraid.

It's simple, vocal fans often badly affect the performance and value of "players from this snowflake generation" with their negative feedback.

Mince n Tatties

There one sits behind me,spends half the game on his phone,and also taking pics.
Just watch the feckin game for Christ sake.😣

Southcoastffc

Quote from: Mince n Tatties on February 05, 2020, 06:58:33 AM
There one sits behind me,spends half the game on his phone,and also taking pics.
Just watch the feckin game for Christ sake.😣
If he's behindyou, how do you know what he's doing, if you're watching the game?  :005:
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

Sgt Fulham

Our atmosphere is pretty terrible, if not helped by the acoustics of the ground (especially now). Even in the Hammy half the people dont join in with the chants. We do have some really great vocal fans, and that is evident in away games but they're just diluted out at home. It's always disappointed me a little. Each to their own I guess but joining in is a huge part of the experience for me. It gets the endorphins and competitive juices going and helps you connect with the players on the pitch. People who watch the game through their phones really do grate me though. I get recordings a small segment to share that you were at the game maybe, but whole minutes of play? I guarantee you're not going to watch that video again!!