watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Heading to be banned for U 18´s in training

Started by grandad, February 06, 2020, 12:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grandad

Bit hard for any budding CB´s & Centre forwards. How will they be able to learn the skills required to head a ball correctly?
Where there's a will there's a wife

WhiteJC

perhaps they'll be forced to use something like this?

Carborundum

The refreshingly forthright view of a young centreback I know questioned how it can be banned for training but not matches. And offered the view that no-one was going to stop him heading the ball.  Centrebacks are like that.

I think maybe the real story here is that they aren't banning it for matches and thats being dressed up to keep people happy.

MikeTheCubed

WolverineFFC

Quote from: grandad on February 06, 2020, 12:44:11 PM
Bit hard for any budding CB´s & Centre forwards. How will they be able to learn the skills required to head a ball correctly?

The fan in me agrees, but then I remind myself the goal is also for the younger people to remember the other things they learned as well. It is helpful not to hit their head against an object repetitively to achieve this.

I think the real argument is at what age it starts, not whether it should or should not happen with youth players.

General

I agree for it being U12s but 15/16 above.. whilst there may be statistics and cases of kids having adverse affects I'd be curious to know if that it a selected group or a majority. Having played rugby and football and a martial art and having lots of contemporaries doing the same and having gone on to do well and be more than smart enough I can't help but think this is over blowing it just a bit.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: grandad on February 06, 2020, 12:44:11 PM

Simple, most of the budding under 18 CB´s & CF's are unaffected by these laws, as they live outside the UK until they are at least 16-17 years old.

RaySmith

I think most studies are related to players who  used to regularly head the old leather balls, which absorbed water and became  even  heavier, not the  current lightweight ball.

I suppose it's hard to find conclusive evidence anyway, but not surprising this ban has happened in the current climate.

I think boxing must be more of risk for brain damage, and not just for the very young , though i know they, and all amateurs wear protective headgear.

The Rational Fan

Quote from: MikeTheCubed on February 06, 2020, 06:44:39 PM
Practising corners will be interesting...

Goals from corners are going down every season and corners in the top divisions are getting boring.
Maybe a rule change that punishes the defending team more for kicking it out may be an improvement.

If a rule change that makes corners safer, more interesting and more likely to score. FA DO IT  :wine:

One proposed rule change is to reduce the number of defenders in the box for corner kicks, so some players don't participate (e.g. ex-injured players)
Another proposed rule change is to allow players to dribble the ball out of corner kicks, so someone will have to mark the corner taker.
Another proposed rule change is to make the corner circle bigger by 3 yards and change the rules so the run-up starts within the field of play.
There could be many more.

grandad

If players get possible brain damage from heading the beach balls they use these days they must have egg shell heads.

MJG

Waste of everyones time and effort anyway, less than 3% of corners result in a goal.
Just the views of a long term fan

MikeTheCubed

Quote from: MJG on February 07, 2020, 11:21:53 AM
Waste of everyones time and effort anyway, less than 3% of corners result in a goal.

That's because of Fulham bringing down the average  :dft012:.

grandad

I recently looked at the 1975 FA Cup Final. Hardly a ball was played in the air by either side. So refreshing & better to watch than hoof ball.

filham

We need more information on the risks involved especially with the modern game where a lighter ball is used and more and more football is played on the ground.
At the same time perhaps some trial games could take place where heading is not allowed. I remember Zamora generally managed to bring high balls from goal kicks under control with his chest, this lead to a better game.

Boxing just has to result in damage to the body and the problem here has to be addressed before football.

jarv

Playing at school, I dont recall heading the ball. No need when you play every day, usually 3v3 or 5v5 depending who was in the playground, down the park etc. The ball was always on the ground. At 16, I started playing in a men's league, very little heading but I was the skinny kid crossing balls in from the wing.