watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Mawson Surgery

Started by Beamer, February 06, 2020, 09:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beamer

Did we know he had surgery and will be out for some while. I might have just missed it.

filham

Where did this news come from. If true it probably means the end of his season if not his career.

SP

Was on other sites, not confirmed officially.

The Rational Fan

Arter had surgery early this season and played the next game, although it may have been unwise to come back that quickly, as he disappeared after that from the matchday 18 for reasons unknown to me. I strongly expect that FFC is still hoping to have Mawson back as a squad player (i.e. backup) for the end of the season and the playoffs.

BarryP

In the article I saw i thought it was part of a Scott Parker quote regarding who was available this weekend and he said Mawson would be out for some time.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

The Rational Fan

Quote from: BarryP on February 07, 2020, 12:49:19 AM
In the article I saw i thought it was part of a Scott Parker quote regarding who was available this weekend and he said Mawson would be out for some time.

At the start of the season, everyone was hoping Mawson would make it through all the games uninjured until Hector arrived, it seems like he just made it.

Does anyone know if our 5th centre back Maxime Le Marchand is back at training or maybe returning anytime soon?

BarryP

Quote from: The Rational Fan on February 07, 2020, 12:54:10 AM

At the start of the season, everyone was hoping Mawson would make it through all the games uninjured until Hector arrived, it seems like he just made it.

Does anyone know if our 5th centre back Maxime Le Marchand is back at training or maybe returning anytime soon?

This is from the Lancashire Telegraph:

"Anthony Knockaert has trained over the last days so we'll have to see how he goes and if the weekend comes a little bit early for him," Parker said. "But he's certainly on the right track.

"Alfie Mawson's come out of surgery last week, so he'll be out for some time. Max Le Marchand is the same, and Harrison Reed there's still an issue."
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Beamer

Yes it was Parker's quote that I saw and realised that I hadn't heard about the surgery. Hopefully not old knee problems as that would be a big concern.

bill taylors apprentice

I can understand the idea that you keep your opponents guessing on team selection e.g. Mito last Saturday but if a players out for some time and needing surgery whats the secret???

Count Flapula

Wouldn't be surprised at all if it eventually surfaces that Mawson has been playing injured for most, of not all of the season due to lack of viable options. The timing of him quietly slipping out of the team to do this as soon as Hector is available to step in is a bit too coincidental IMO.

He has shown his defensive ability in flashes but hasn't consistently been the dominating, technically composed CB we signed from Swansea.

He undoubtedly is a better player than he has shown for us - I just hope these knee problems are not chronic / terminal for his career at a level we would need him
to perform at.

A fully fit / peak form Mawson and Hector would be a good enough pairing for the Premier League - I sincerely hope this surgery rectifies any issues once and for all so we can FINALLY see what he is capable of in a Fulham shirt.

fulhamfan

Sgt Fulham

Feel sympathy for him regarding this recurring injury, it must be so frustrating. However, Fulham is not a charity and there have only been a handful of games where he has been good enough.

Andy S

No we are not a charity and clubs will move on crocked or suspect players. We did it with Jimmy Bullard. Medical cannot pick up everything

Twig

If he's had surgery then it may well have been 100% successful. In which case we can look forward to a fully fit Mawson, why would we want to move him on just when he could be ready to show his full potential?

filham

So our fit centre backs available for Saturday are Hector and Odoi with perhaps Kongolo on the bench ??
I sense a problem looming.

H4usuallysitting

Couldn't KMac fill in..... his awareness is superb

toshes mate

It is certainly in both Mawson's and the Club's interests to restore him to his best health and fitness and since we know nothing about the relationship between this injury and his original injury everything else is conjecture.  Wish him well for a full recovery to the best level he can achieve.  As we have seen with the young Marlon Fossey it is a tough business to get back to the sort of fitness standards required of professional footballers and it can take quite a long time to achieve the new maximum performance level.

Statto

Quote from: H4usuallysitting on February 07, 2020, 10:22:42 AM
Couldn't KMac fill in..... his awareness is superb

For me the order of preference at LCB would be
1. Mawson
2. Kongolo
3. Odoi
4. Ream
5. MLM
6. Mcdonald

So would not be considering KMac unless another four players also need operations

Sting of the North

Quote from: filham on February 07, 2020, 10:18:37 AM
So our fit centre backs available for Saturday are Hector and Odoi with perhaps Kongolo on the bench ??
I sense a problem looming.

And Ream.

BarryP

Quote from: Beamer on February 07, 2020, 08:40:32 AM
Yes it was Parker's quote that I saw and realised that I hadn't heard about the surgery. Hopefully not old knee problems as that would be a big concern.

I don't think you missed anything Beamer.  Part of me wonders if the club were trying to keep the information quite during the transfer window until they could bring in another center back.