watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Mawson Surgery

Started by Beamer, February 06, 2020, 09:53:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ByTheRiver

This is almost certainly why Kongolo was brought in. I hope he starts tomorrow and makes the position his own for the rest of the season (on paper, him and Hector could be a superb partnership. Very pacey too).

God forbid we have to bring Timothy Ream back in at any point. We can forget all about autos should that happen... 

Sting of the North

Quote from: ByTheRiver on February 07, 2020, 03:54:01 PM
This is almost certainly why Kongolo was brought in. I hope he starts tomorrow and makes the position his own for the rest of the season (on paper, him and Hector could be a superb partnership. Very pacey too).

God forbid we have to bring Timothy Ream back in at any point. We can forget all about autos should that happen...

Why can things never be in moderation?

We missed automatic promotion by two points two years with an inferior squad and Ream playing CB almost all games. So it seems far fetched that our hopes for promotion should be totally gone just because we play a proven decent Championship defender when we are in a better spot (objectively) than compared to the same time that season as well as have a better squad (somehow subjective, but seems like most agree). Has Ream become so bad in your opinion so that we cannot win games with him in the team (even though actual facts states otherwise since he has played most of our games this season, including the three straight clean sheets before the game he was suspended)?

Personally I don't rate Ream too high as an actual defender, but I believe it is nothing but complete and utter hyperbole to suggest that he cannot hold his own to at least a decent degree at this level. In my opinion.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: Sting of the North on February 07, 2020, 04:13:12 PM

We missed automatic promotion by two points two years with an inferior squad and Ream playing CB almost all games. So it seems far fetched that our hopes for promotion should be totally gone just because we play a proven decent Championship defender when we are in a better spot (objectively) than compared to the same time that season as well as have a better squad (somehow subjective, but seems like most agree). Has Ream become so bad in your opinion so that we cannot win games with him in the team (even though actual facts states otherwise since he has played most of our games this season, including the three straight clean sheets before the game he was suspended)?

Personally I don't rate Ream too high as an actual defender, but I believe it is nothing but complete and utter hyperbole to suggest that he cannot hold his own to at least a decent degree at this level. In my opinion.

That Ream is now two years older, two years slower, two years weaker. He has been directly responsible for a number of goals this season and is always on the brink of an error. He is, at best, now a lower level Championship defender and has no place in a side fighting for the title/automatic promotion.

I'm sorry, I know he has fans on here (and suspected the last post would cause a bit of uproar), but it is the truth.

Yes, I know he had a season/season and half (combined) where he was semi decent on the ball, when he had little to do as we completely dominated possession in every match, but that was then and everything since has pointed otherwise. Saha was good, we wouldn't want him to lead the line tomorrow. Danny Murphy was good but we wouldn't want to drag him off the MoTD sofa and slot into CM tomorrow. Ream is gone. Finished. Done. 

Statto

First stat I've looked at in there says Ream is faster than Hector. And just as good at heading. And stronger than Mawson.

What bo11ocks!!!!!!

filham

Quote from: Sting of the North on February 07, 2020, 01:22:33 PM
Quote from: filham on February 07, 2020, 10:18:37 AM
So our fit centre backs available for Saturday are Hector and Odoi with perhaps Kongolo on the bench ??
I sense a problem looming.

And Ream.
But I think Ream will be serving a three match ban for his red card. is that not the case, MLM injured and now Mawson injured. Lightning striking in the same place again

Whitesideup

+1 (to Sting of the North's comment)

Beamer

Quote from: filham on February 07, 2020, 04:55:40 PM
So our fit centre backs available for Saturday are Hector and Odoi with perhaps Kongolo on the bench ??

And Ream.
But I think Ream will be serving a three match ban for his red card. is that not the case, MLM injured and now Mawson injured. Lightning striking in the same place again
Quote from: filham on February 07, 2020, 04:55:40 PM

And Ream.
I think he only got 1 game for his card.

BestOfBrede

Quote from: ByTheRiver on February 07, 2020, 04:19:59 PM

That Ream is now two years older, two years slower, two years weaker. He has been directly responsible for a number of goals this season and is always on the brink of an error. He is, at best, now a lower level Championship defender and has no place in a side fighting for the title/automatic promotion.

I'm sorry, I know he has fans on here (and suspected the last post would cause a bit of uproar), but it is the truth.

Yes, I know he had a season/season and half (combined) where he was semi decent on the ball, when he had little to do as we completely dominated possession in every match, but that was then and everything since has pointed otherwise. Saha was good, we wouldn't want him to lead the line tomorrow. Danny Murphy was good but we wouldn't want to drag him off the MoTD sofa and slot into CM tomorrow.Ream is gone. Finished. Done.
Codswallop mate, complete cods!

Sting of the North

Quote from: ByTheRiver on February 07, 2020, 04:19:59 PM

Yes, I know he had a season/season and half (combined) where he was semi decent on the ball, when he had little to do as we completely dominated possession in every match, but that was then and everything since has pointed otherwise. Saha was good, we wouldn't want him to lead the line tomorrow. Danny Murphy was good but we wouldn't want to drag him off the MoTD sofa and slot into CM tomorrow. Ream is gone. Finished. Done.

I am a fan of all players that are doing their best for Fulham, but I don't rate Ream very high in comparison to most of our players. You also don't have to be sorry, because you are at the end of the day entitled to your opinion. But you also are probably not doing your line of argument any favors when comparing Ream to long since retired players (I mean, I did kind of enjoy having a 32 year old non-retired Murphy in midfield).

Again (since you seem to try to ignore most counter arguments), did or did Ream not play the full 90 minutes as CB for several games in a row in which we conceded 0 goals in the last month or so? That alone should be sufficient evidence of FFC not being without a chance of promotion if Ream plays.

There is a difference between preferring other players and completely write a player off.

YankeeJim

Central defenders depend on one another and are good as a pair or poor as a pair. How would a sainted defender like Aaron Hughes do when paired with Mawson, MLM or Ream? Ream plays Aaron to Hector's Brede. I think they do well together. Would a better player than Ream pair well with Hector? Hopefully, but not definitely. The point of CB defending is to never be put in a clear one on one situation. If a CB were as agile, strong and as good on the ball as a striker he'd be a bloody striker. Mawson and Ream constantly had gaps in their defending, allowing the striker one on ones which ended in a strong shot on goal. Hector and Ream have had far fewer such situations. Is this because Ream got better since Hector came on or because he had been pared with a bloke with doggy knees? Yes it would be grand to have a better CB than Ream and we certainly will need one for the Prem but to make statements as some have on here is just ignorance.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Whitesideup

Quote from: YankeeJim on February 07, 2020, 06:42:10 PM
Central defenders depend on one another and are good as a pair or poor as a pair. How would a sainted defender like Aaron Hughes do when paired with Mawson, MLM or Ream? Ream plays Aaron to Hector's Brede. I think they do well together. Would a better player than Ream pair well with Hector? Hopefully, but not definitely. The point of CB defending is to never be put in a clear one on one situation. If a CB were as agile, strong and as good on the ball as a striker he'd be a bloody striker. Mawson and Ream constantly had gaps in their defending, allowing the striker one on ones which ended in a strong shot on goal. Hector and Ream have had far fewer such situations. Is this because Ream got better since Hector came on or because he had been pared with a bloke with doggy knees? Yes it would be grand to have a better CB than Ream and we certainly will need one for the Prem but to make statements as some have on here is just ignorance.
Or maybe, just maybe, Mawson's positional play (and I'm not discounting Ream's either) was not as good as it should have been.  Everyone seems keen to find excuses for Mawson, and they continue to rate him as a starter for our team ... fine. A reasoned and moderate argument is though, that Mawson has not displayed the form that made us pay the amount we did, and perhaps that his partner centre-back(s) at Swansea were also responsible for helping him perform well.

In any case, I hope he recovers from injury well, and finds the form of a good premier league centre-back.

JEEVES

Quote from: fulhamross on February 07, 2020, 04:33:30 PM

I can't believe how many people take this stuff seriously. Also I admire how many people stick up for Ream, he's been a decent servant but for me he's never been anything more than a player plugging a weak point until someone better was  brought in to replace him. We've tried to upgrade several times and failed because our recruitment team are clearly more interested in winger after winger instead of addressing the leaky defence. That being said Michael Hector was an absolutely top class addition and for that reason I'm in hope they have learned and I'm looking forward to seeing Kongolo getting a run. I'm sorry but Ream is one of the sketchiest CB's we've ever had. Am I the only person who covers their eyes almost every time he has the ball?

Whitesideup

No, Reeves, you have Statto and ByTheRiver in adjoining seats.

A couple of us are just making the case that the argument / opinion is overstated, and in fact at times (not the post you just made) reverts to hyperbole and such posts are nonsensical (or codswallop as per another poster).

In your post you refer to your emotional state when Ream has the ball. Now this to me sounds odd as one of Ream's strengths is his distribution, and generally he makes good use of the ball. Has he made the odd mistake in possession? Yes, but taking risks playing out from the back is part of our mantra, and though not desirable, these things happen.

AnOldBrownie

Quote from: Count Flapula

A fully fit / peak form Mawson and Hector would be a good enough pairing for the Premier League

I don't think he's ever going to be fully fit, and even it could be written in stone that he would be...I don't rate him at EPL levels with our current starting fullbacks.

Sent from my CMR-W19 using Tapatalk

AnOldBrownie

Agreed.

If Ream was ok in the promotion season playing beside Odoi he should be able to do fine at this level beside Hector.

IMO

Sent from my CMR-W19 using Tapatalk

SP

How brutally we turn on our own players?

JEEVES

Quote from: SP on February 07, 2020, 08:01:58 PM

I don't get this. Everyone entitled to opinion, that's what this is all about. If I don't think someone's good enough for our team and needs replacing, I'm gunna say it. Imagine if we all just thought all of our players were world class and we couldn't improve? If that was the case why did we get relegated last season?

JEEVES

Quote from: Whitesideup on February 07, 2020, 07:26:52 PM
Quote from: Whitesideup on February 07, 2020, 07:26:52 PM

A couple of us are just making the case that the argument / opinion is overstated, and in fact at times (not the post you just made) reverts to hyperbole and such posts are nonsensical (or codswallop as per another poster).

In your post you refer to your emotional state when Ream has the ball. Now this to me sounds odd as one of Ream's strengths is his distribution, and generally he makes good use of the ball. Has he made the odd mistake in possession? Yes, but taking risks playing out from the back is part of our mantra, and though not desirable, these things happen.

The ODD mistake? I was at the Charlton match. Anyone else that was there will know what I'm talking about. That game alone was enough for me to never see him play for us again.

And don't bring up the clean sheet, god knows how we didn't concede.

Whitesideup

Quote from: JEEVES on February 07, 2020, 08:13:09 PM
Quote from: SP on February 07, 2020, 08:01:58 PM

I don't get this. Everyone entitled to opinion, that's what this is all about. If I don't think someone's good enough for our team and needs replacing, I'm gunna say it. Imagine if we all just thought all of our players were world class and we couldn't improve? If that was the case why did we get relegated last season?
But it's the way you say it, and the exaggeration that defeats your own argument. For example nobody, but nobody, has said our current players are world class or indeed that we need  "world class" defenders. So your use of the hyperbole not only makes your argument less credible but also means you are disrespectful of others' points of view.