more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff - 24/02/20...

Started by WhiteJC, February 23, 2020, 03:03:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Send Us Your Donetsk Photos!

Throughout the season, we're celebrating the 10 year anniversary of Fulham's extraordinary run to the Europa League Final.

That immense 19-match campaign gave supporters the opportunity to follow their Club to a number of new countries, creating some fantastic memories as you followed Fulham away.

Therefore, on the anniversary of each fixture, we want to showcase a gallery of your photos from those away trips, be it pictures from the game itself, pre-match merriment with your fellow fans, or any snaps you may have got with Fulham players.

This Tuesday (February 25th) will be 10 years to the day of our away match against Shakhtar Donetsk, so we'd like those of you who braved the freezing conditions to send us your photos from the trip.

Please email any photos you'd like included to [email protected].

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/february/23/send-us-your-donetsk-photos

WhiteJC

McBride & Clark Return

Meet Fulham legends Brian McBride & Lee Clark ahead of Fulham's match against Swansea City on Wednesday evening, with the duo heading to Fulham Palace before kick-off.

Scott Parker's side welcome Swansea to Craven Cottage on Wednesday, kick-off 7:45pm, and McBride & Clark will be spending time pre-match mingling with fans and taking part in a special Q&A.

Both former Club Captains – Lee Clark made 178 appearances for the Whites and was a key part of the 2000/01 squad which achieved promotion to the Premier League for the first time. Clark scored 22 goals, including the first in Fulham's famous 3-1 victory over then Champions Manchester United at Old Trafford.

USA striker Brian McBride made a total of 153 appearances, scoring 40 goals, and played a pivotal role in helping the Club achieve its famous Premier League 'Great Escape' in 2007/08.

Both players will be presented to supporters on the pitch at half-time on Wednesday evening, however don't miss out on this unique opportunity to get up close and personal with the two legends at Fulham Palace.

Hospitality packages start from £130+VAT, with fans able to secure their space online, by emailing [email protected] or calling (+44) 020 8336 7555, (Mon-Fri, 9am-5.30pm).

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/february/23/mcbride-and-clark-return

WhiteJC

Lee Clark Q&A

Scorer of 22 goals in 178 appearances, Lee Clark will be the latest recipient of the Forever Fulham award when he joins us for the meeting with Swansea City on Wednesday. We caught up with the former Whites captain to chat about his time at the Club...

Paul Bracewell was manager when you joined Fulham, someone you knew well. How much of an influence was he on you?

I played alongside Paul at Newcastle – he was the senior pro and I was the youngster in the team. And then when I made the move to Sunderland he was Peter Reid's assistant, and he was a bit of a mentor for us really. He took the Fulham job and gave us the opportunity to come down, so once I met with him and Neil Rodford, who was the Chief Executive at the time, and I got to see the ambition of the Club, I decided it was the right move for me.

The project at Fulham sold it to you then?

Yeah, and I could see from the outside the type of players they were bringing in. Even when they were the equivalent of League One they signed Chris Coleman, so I could see the type of quality they're looking for. When they went up to Division One and approached myself, I thought it was an opportunity I couldn't turn down. And thankfully time proved that it was the right decision.

That 1999/00 season proved to be a bit of a transitional one for the team, before a great campaign the following year...

We were just outside the Play-Offs when Paul got relieved of his duties. But that was the ambition, the Owner didn't want to hang around, he wanted to go up quickly. Unfortunately for Paul that meant he lost his job. Then Jean Tigana came in and just took the Club and the players and the staff to a new level, in terms of fitness and nutrition, all the types of things that supporters don't particularly see. That allowed the team to become very good on the pitch, and I think that's why you saw a very successful team during his reign as manager.

You were part of 'the Entertainers' side at Newcastle. How did that Tigana team compare?

They were very similar. The type of players that Jean brought in to help us win the Championship – John Collins, Louis Saha – those type of lads helped us immensely, and were the type of player that we needed in terms of the football we played. We played with a lot of freedom, we were extremely fit, and it was just brilliant to be a part of.

You became Fulham captain down the line – what was that like for you?

Very special. The Club was special to us anyway, but for me to captain the Club on numerous occasions to some great results in the Premier League was extra special for us. I've got fantastic memories, it was a brilliant part of my career, and I've got really positive thoughts about it all.

Chris Coleman gave you the captaincy. What was it like to go from playing with him to under him?

When I first arrived he was the captain, so he did a lot for me and my family, and we became very close friends. He was an unbelievably talented footballer, which was taken away from him, his career cut short by a horrendous injury. And then when he did become the manager, it wasn't something I hadn't seen from him but he took to it brilliantly. With the help of Steve Kean, the two of them got results, some brilliant results. It was easy because I had a huge amount of respect for him when he was a teammate, so when he became manager there was no need for transition.

One of those brilliant results was the 3-1 win at Old Trafford when you opened the scoring. That was a special day wasn't it?

Absolutely, because Man United had just won the Premier League. Not many teams went to Old Trafford and got a point, so for us to go there and get a 3-1 away victory was a huge result. It followed a midweek result at home when we'd been 2-0 up and lost 3-2 to an Alan Shearer inspired Newcastle. The last thing you'd probably want to do after a result like that is go to Old Trafford, but we played our game, defended well, created numerous chances, and it was a brilliant result and a great performance, one of many that I had at the Club in terms of great days and great nights.

You played with some great players and characters at Fulham. Who stands out for you?

There's so many. Chris was a terrific player and a huge character at the football club. John Collins was a very, very gifted player. Andy Melville was someone that I'd worked with at Sunderland so I knew what he could bring to the team. Louis Saha proved to be an unbelievable signing for the Club. We had young Sean Davis coming through the youth ranks and breaking into the team, and you could see the ability and talent that he had. Steve Finnan was there when I got to the Club and went on to have an unbelievable career. And then later on in the Premier League we had Edwin van der Sar, a world class goalkeeper, and Steed Malbranque. We were just continually improving the squad all the time and we achieved a lot. We got the Club into Europe, we finished in what was at the time the highest ever position in the Premier League, which has since been broken by the Roy Hodgson team.

You're back the Cottage on Wednesday to receive the Forever Fulham award – looking forward to that?

Absolutely. I love coming back to the football club, I really enjoy it. I've got special memories and I get treated very, very well whenever I come back. Fulham is a huge part of my footballing career and my life, so I love coming back to the Cottage.

Make sure you're at the Cottage on Wednesday to give Lee a warm reception, with tickets still available to purchase on General Sale.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2020/february/23/lee-clark-q-and-a

WhiteJC

"Love it" – These Leeds fans react to club update on potential "biggest game of the season"

A few Leeds United fans have been reacting on social media after the club announced details on tickets for next month's Championship clash with promotion rivals Fulham.

The Cottagers and we are locked in a battle for the automatic promotion places heading into the final quarter of the season, with neither club keen to see their fate decided in the Play-Offs.

Fulham secured their place in the 2018/19 Premier League season through the Play-Offs with a 1-0 win over Aston Villa in the Final at Wembley, while we bowed out of the 2018/19 Play-Offs in the Semi-Finals after losing the second-leg to Derby County.

The Play-Offs have not been too kind to us down the years, as we also fell at the final hurdle in 2006 when Watford won at the Millennium Stadium 3-0. We would also lose 1-0 to Doncaster Rovers in the 2008 League One Play-Off Final and get beaten 2-1 on aggregate by Millwall in the Semi-Finals the following season.

March's clash with Fulham could potentially be the "biggest game" of our season, as one supporter has put it after the club announced that tickets will go on sale to Gold Members on February 25 at 09:00.

Season ticket holders will be unable to purchase addition tickets while Gold Members are able to buy theirs, but home season ticket holders will be awarded the opportunity to purchase admission on February 28 should any tickets remain unsold.

General sale will then commence on March 2, subject to availability, while the Cottagers' trip to Elland Road has been listed as a Category A game.

https://leeds.vitalfootball.co.uk/fans-react-fulham-championship-ticket-update-elland-road/

WhiteJC

Fulham ticketing information

Game to go on sale to Season Ticket Holders with 3,500+ TAPs on Tuesday

Tickets for Brentford's vital West London derby against Fulham will go on sale on Tuesday. The Bees will head to Craven Cottage on Friday 13 March. The game will be broadcast live on Sky Sports and will kick-off at 7.45pm. The teams currently sit third and fourth in the Sky Bet Championship as the season enters its final quarter and both are currently within six points of the automatic promotion spots with Fulham a place and a point better off.

Brentford won the first game between the teams 1-0 with Bryan Mbeumo scoring the only goal. This is our first visit to Craven Cottage since a 1-1 draw in April 2018. The last three games between the teams at Craven Cottage have been drawn. Due to redevelopment work at Fulham, only three sides of the ground are open to supporters and the allocation for visiting fans is reduced.

Brentford have been allocated 1,928 tickets for the game. As per the policies in our Customer Charter, when demand is likely to exceed availability, Season Ticket Holders will get first access to away tickets. Ticket Access Points will be used to differentiate when supporters are able to buy their tickets.

Tickets will be sold as follows:

Season Ticket Holders with 3,500 Ticket Access Points (TAPs): Tuesday 25 February at 4pm (one per person)
    Season Ticket Holders with 2,500 TAPs: Wednesday 26 February at 4pm (one per person - subject to availability)
    All Season Ticket Holders: Thursday 27 February at 4pm (one per person - subject to availability)
    Club Members: Friday 28 February, 4pm (one per person - subject to availability)
    General Sale: Monday 2 March, 4pm (one per person - subject to availability)

Disabled supporters in receipt of Disability Living Allowance (higher or middle rate) or PPI payment are entitled to a complimentary personal assistant ticket if required.

All prices exclude booking fees:

No booking fees for online purchases at tickets.brentfordfc.com

No booking fees apply when buying in person from the Ticket Office

Admin fee of £2.50 per transaction (not per ticket), plus a £1 postage fee when booking over the phone

All Season Ticket Holders with 3,500 Ticket Access Points will get a ticket for the match if they buy in their exclusive window. Tickets will be sold in all the usual ways. The best way to buy is via tickets.brentfordfc.com. Full Box Office opening times and ways to buy can be seen here.

Fans can check the number of TAPs they have by logging in to their account at tickets.brentfordfc.com. They are clearly visible on the front page of an individual's ticket account. More information on TAPs can be seen here. Fans that have not used the site before can see a full guide here.

https://www.brentfordfc.com/news/2020/february/fulham-ticket-information-23.02.20/

WhiteJC

'Crisis? What crisis?' - how Leeds United's Reading win was reported by the national media

The Whites defeated the Royals 1-0 at Elland Road

Leeds United extended their gap in the Championship's automatic promotion slots to five points with another 1-0 win at Elland Road, this time over Reading.

Pablo Hernandez sunk the killer blow this week, in front of the South Stand in the second half.

Here is how the national media reported on the game.

The Mail on Sunday - Ross Heppenstall

This was a tale of two Spaniards as Leeds eked out another victory which encouraged hopes maybe, just maybe, they are capable of securing a long-awaited Premier League return.

As has so often been the case for Marcelo Bielsa's side this season, they dominated possession and created numerous chances, but struggled badly to convert.

Frustration was everywhere among another capacity Elland Road crowd, but cometh the hour, cometh the man.

After 57 minutes of toil and spurned opportunities, former Valencia and Swansea City star Pablo Hernandez took matters into his own hands.

Leeds' creative fulcrum, now in his fourth season at the club, broke the deadlock with an expertly taken winner which could be worth its weight in gold.

That put Bielsa's men in control, but it took a save deep into added time by Hernandez's compatriot, goalkeeper Kiko Casilla, to preserve Leeds' advantage.

Liam Moore found space inside the hosts' penalty area, but Casilla, facing a racism allegation and a possible subsequent lengthy ban, made a fine save to deny the Reading defender.

The victory lifted Leeds five points clear of third-placed Fulham with 12 games remaining, but there are concerns elsewhere ahead of back-to-back away games at Middlesbrough and Hull.

Key midfielder Kalvin Phillips was forced off after 37 minutes with a leg injury. 'I don't know if it's a serious injury or not,' said Bielsa — and a cloud hangs over Casilla.

The former Real Madrid keeper's hearing into an alleged remark of a racist nature towards Charlton striker Jonathan Leko last September took place in London earlier this week.

A verdict is expected shortly, but head coach Bielsa, who embraced Casilla shortly after the final whistle, backed his player, saying: 'Kiko had a very important impact.

'Sometimes we have been better than the opponent and he has conceded some goals in previous matches, but today was the opposite and he saved for the result in our favour. It was a similar match to usual. We created more chances than the opponent, we had more possession than them.

'We had a lot of conditions to score and all our offensive players had good chances.'

Leeds enjoyed 66 per cent possession and had 18 shots, but Patrick Bamford failed to convert first-half crosses by Hernandez and Jack Harrison.

Helder Costa also went close when he skilfully engineered the space to break clear inside the right channel.

The on-loan Wolves winger could have squared the ball across the face of goal but instead opted to hit a left-foot shot which flew just past the far post.

Luke Ayling volleyed over the bar on the stroke of half-time before Ezgjan Alioski saw a close-range effort repelled by reading keeper Rafael Cabral moments later.

Seven minutes after the break, Costa shot wide from 10 yards out but Hernandez's decisive moment soon came as he smashed home to raise the roof off Elland Road.

The ageing playmaker — he's 35 in a couple of months — once again proved to be above much of the endless industry that so typifies the Championship. When Costa neatly laid the ball into Hernandez's path, he hit a low right-foot shot which Moore blocked.

Still, Hernandez had the presence of mind to collect the loose ball and expertly engineer the space to hit a fierce shot which flew past Cabral and into the top corner.

The Sun - Michael Morgan

Classy Pablo Hernandez turned frustration into elation for Leeds.

This tussle looked to be heading for a goalless stalemate until Hernandez struck to put boss Marcelo Bielsa's boys back on track for automatic promotion.

The Spanish midfielder dinked a delicious 57th-minute chip with the outside of his right foot into the top corner of the net.

And it lifted his side five points clear of third-placed Fulham. It was a fifth goal of the season for Hernandez and had Bielsa jumping for joy on the touchline.

The veteran Argentine coach was even more pleased with keeper Kiko Casilla's 92nd-minute save from Reading skipper Liam Moore.

He said: "There was a stoppage-time moment when the opponents should have done something but my goalkeeper produced an excellent save.

"Perhaps they needed a striker in that situation, not a defender!

"But this was a usual match for us. We had a lot of chances to score but didn't take them.

"I am pleased because we dominated the game and there was a good balance to the team."

Royals boss Mark Bowen had stirred up the clash with his pre-match claim that Leeds had no player with the ability of his midfielder John Swift.

Bowen's jibe would have wound-up Bielsa's boys, although they needed no extra motivation to stay on course for automatic promotion.

But a series of frustrating home misses was kicked off by Patrick Bamford, who failed to get his head on a third-minute cross from Hernandez.

Mateusz Klich then fluffed his lines by shooting straight at Royals keeper Rafael Cabral before the visitors carved out their only chance before the break.

George Puscas was the beneficiary but his 20-yard drive was superbly turned away by Casilla.

Leeds continued to take charge after the break but could not build on Hernandez's opener.

Sunday Mirror - Clive Hetherington

Leeds boss Marcelo Bielsa made a beeline for Kiko Casilla on the final whistle to congratulate the keeper on a crucial last-ditch save.

The second-placed Whites made it consecutive wins for the first time since a run of seven in November-December thanks to Pablo Hernandez's 57th-minute finish.

Bielsa's side are now five points clear of promotion rivals Fulham, but they were grateful to Casilla for preserving their lead yesterday when he denied Reading skipper Liam Moore.

The big call for Bielsa was sticking with Casilla after the Spaniard had faced an FA hearing in the lead-up to the game over a charge he racially abused striker Jonathan Leko when Leeds visited Charlton in September.

Casilla has strenuously denied the allegations, but his form has suffered in recent months, during which time he has made a string of mistakes, and French rookie Illan Meslier had been on standby for a league debut.

Bielsa, however, said: "Yes, I went over to Kiko because he had a very important impact on the result.

"Sometimes we have been better than the opponent and he has conceded some goals, but here was the opposite and he saved to secure the result in our favour.

"There was a situation in the last minute for them that the player should have done something with. Their number six became a striker and that created confusion.''

Reading have developed something of a reputation for upsetting promotion-chasers on their travels this season, having won at Preston North End and Fulham.

And they came into this encounter following an impressive 3-0 win over Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough a week earlier.

Helder Costa fired across the face of goal for Leeds, but they struggled to stamp any authority early on and Casilla was forced to turn aside a 24th-minute effort from George Puscas. There was then a blow for Leeds when key midfielder Kalvin Phillips trudged off on 37 minutes to be replaced by Ezgjan Alioski.

Moore made a vital block to deny Costa before right-back Luke Ayling - scorer of the only goal in Leeds' home win against Bristol City last weekend - drove inches over and Alioski was foiled by Rafael Cabral.

Mateusz Klich was just wide at the start of the second half, but Hernandez would not be denied.

The playmaker saw a shot blocked but forced his way through to cleverly lift the ball into the net at the near post. Cabral also had to push away Hernandez's free-kick nine minutes from time.

The Sunday Times - Jason Mellor

Crisis? What crisis? Leeds United gave further notice that they have stemmed a worrying winter wobble, and while back-to-back home wins, each by a single goal, hardly constitutes an early spring surge, supporters can at least finally bring themselves to peruse the Championship table with less trepidation than at any time over the past six weeks.

A fifth goal of the season from Pablo Hernández early in the second half proved decisive, in the process maintaining the four-point deficit to leaders West Bromwich Albion, while stretching the advantage over Fulham in third place to five.

Marcelo Bielsa was reticent to talk of corners being turned, but his opposite number Mark Bowen was confident that despite their recent blip — one win in seven matches before consecutive victories for the first time since early December — Leeds will end their 16-year top-flight exile without the need of the play-offs.

"West Brom and Leeds have always looked strong this season," insisted Bowen, whose side pushed their hosts close for long spells.

The Reading manager added: "I think the top two will stay the same now. The stats that Leeds produce week in, week out in terms of possession, corners and penalty area entries are very impressive. I didn't see them as a team out of form in any way despite a few surprise results going against them. They're a well-oiled machine."

Hernández displayed dogged persistence to follow up and find the top corner from 12 yards after his initial effort had been blocked when latching onto Hélder Costa's back-heel after 57 minutes.

Costa, Luke Ayling and Mateusz Klich all went close to finding a nerve-soothing second goal, while Reading weren't without their chances.

George Puscas sent a second-half lob from close range narrowly over, and the visitors were denied a stoppage-time equaliser when captain Liam Moore, pressed into service as a makeshift forward, saw an effort from six yards blocked brilliantly by Kiko Casilla.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/leeds-united-reading-national-media-17798371

WhiteJC

Report: Tottenham to revive interest in Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic

The Serbian is set to be a wanted man during the summer.

Tottenham are set to revive their interest in Fulham striker Aleksandar Mitrovic during the summer, according to 90min. Spurs were linked with a move for the hitman during the January transfer window, according to the Daily Star.

The 25-year-old cost the Cottagers £22 million back in July 2018 and he has proved a revelation for the Londoners. In 90 appearances for Fulham, he scored 45 goals and is currently the Championship's top goalscorer.

It is thought that the Championship outfit are keen to recoup £40 million for their prized asset; although that valuation might be significantly higher should he fire Scott Parker's team to promotion.

Tottenham are currently without a senior striker within their ranks. Injuries to Harry Kane and Son Heung-min have seen Jose Mourinho's squad decimated and he will want to avoid a repeat next season.

Mitrovic has a brilliant record for Serbia. In 55 international appearances, he has scored 34 goals and on his day he is a marksman to be feared.

His Premier League credentials aren't really in question either. Last season, despite Fulham enduring a miserable top-flight campaign, he netted eleven goals.

Competition

It would perhaps be an interesting move for Mitrovic if he was to head for Tottenham in the summer. When Kane returns from his hamstring troubles he will certainly be the first-choice striker.

As a determined player who wears his heart on his sleeve, however, the Serbian would surely be up for the challenge of winning a place in Mourinho's team.

Given his goalscoring prowess, it seems certain that clubs will circle the striker this summer and Tottenham could do a lot worse than pursue Mitrovic's signature ahead of next season.

At £40 million he wouldn't come cheap but if Fulham aren't promoted the player will surely hold a desire to head to the Premier League.

As a result, they could be forced into accepting a lower price for the £60,000-a-week star and that could be a bonus for Tottenham.

https://tbrfootball.com/report-tottenham-to-revive-interest-in-fulham-striker-aleksandar-mitrovic/

WhiteJC

Leeds open up five point gap in the crazy league that is the Championship

Leeds United's performance against Reading didn't feel anywhere near as comprehensive as that against Bristol City the previous week. But a moment of magic from Pablo Hernandez and a crucial late save from Kiko Casilla gave Leeds the victory, and at this stage of the season that's all that matters. Having capitulated a twelve point gap to third built up before Christmas Leeds fans can breath a sigh of relief as back to back victories give them a five point cushion over third placed Fulham.

For the second week in a row results went the way of Leeds. Last weekend saw West Brom and Forest share the spoils whilst Brentford dropped points to Birmingham City, Fulham were comprehensively thrashed by relegation candidates Barnsley and Preston were beaten by Millwall. This weekend as Leeds took all three points yet again Brentford had to make do with a draw with Blackburn, Fulham were held by Derby and Forest were held by QPR. West Brom managed a comprehensive three nil victory but it was at the expense of Bristol City so all in all another good result for Leeds.

The Championship is certainly living up to it's unpredictable best this season and with the top seven teams set to face off against other in several key fixtures during the run-in the top six is by no means final. Fulham have the toughest run in facing Preston, Bristol City, Brentford, Leeds, Forest and West Brom, they may be third at the moment, but they will be unlucky to get out of that run unscathed. Preston face five teams in the top seven whilst Bristol City, Forest and West Brom all have three games against other teams in the top seven. Leeds have the most favourable run-in only facing Fulham.

But in a crazy league where only Leeds and Barnsley have managed to win back to back games in the last two weeks anything could yet happen. Who knows, Birmingham City back in fourteenth only eleven points of the play-offs but with some of the best form in the league could make a late charge. Anything is possible in the Championship but with so many fixtures between the top seven Leeds will have a bit of confidence in the fact that they will all take points off each other.

https://www.motforum.com/article.php?page=39055

filham

Lee Clark and Brian McBride at the Cottage on Wednesday, would they make a good management team.

YankeeJim

Quote from: filham on February 24, 2020, 11:27:21 AM
Lee Clark and Brian McBride at the Cottage on Wednesday, would they make a good management team.

Don't know about management but we'll have a couple of actual football players in the Cottage on Wednesday. Something we have often lacked this season.
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.