News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Scott Parker - Swap The Wingers So They Can Get To The By Line FFS!!

Started by Buzz_28, February 27, 2020, 08:34:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Enfield

Its an old concept, left back is left footed, right back is right footed so by cutting inside the defender is on his weaker foot making a tackle more difficult.
Today this is negated by the modern method of winning the ball, which is to simply bundle into the opponent
with the whole of your body knocking the attacker off the ball. Refs seem to be quite happy with this method. 

RaySmith

The winger also  comes inside  onto his 'natural' foot so that he can get a shot away.

With full backs attacking up the wings, staying wide, on the side of their natural foot, we have a variety of options.

Damien Duff used to play an inverted role  effectively for us didn't he?

Matt10

Quote from: Statto on February 28, 2020, 06:51:20 PM
Quote from: Matt10 on February 28, 2020, 06:48:00 PM
Inverted wingers are very common. If we don't use inverted wingers, we will become one-dimensional as it removes the inside move.

That cuts both ways though. Playing old fashioned wingers doesn't remove the inside move any more than playing inverted wingers removes the outside move.

Yes, that's true.

I guess from a defensive perspective, and in my personal experience, it's much easier to defend a traditional winger than it is an inverted winger. If Knock is set up traditionally on the left, I know I can give him the inside more than the outside because the chances of him cutting onto his right and shooting with his right are much less than him cutting outside. In addition, I can prepare to challenge the passing lane to the fullback with more momentum.

The inverted winger is tricky because if Knock is coming at me, I have to stay tighter to the inside, giving up more space and timing to cut off the angle to the fullback. The main tactical response, which is one we've seen ever since Cav scored versus Hudds away, is teams drop their defensive midfielder lower and inside so it doesn't become a one-on-one situation with the outside fullback.

Personally, I prefer speed of play, especially in the defensive third, and an inverted winger can be a bit slower than a traditional winger because a straight line is faster than cutting back inside. Not to mention, the fullback's overlapping momentum can be properly used, and so can the timing of the runs into the box.

filham

The hard fact is that Knock and Cave have not got the pace needed to go around and neither has  the full back on the outside and none of our right backs has the pace of Fredericks.
The best chance of us making the byeline is with Kamara, he should get more game time.

ffc73

Start with Cav & Knock but give them licence to swap flank to mix up the inverted & traditional wing play.  Keeps the defenders on their toes.  I'd also have Reid switching wide from his central position, switching with Cav & Knock in a more fluid attacking formation behind and in advance of a central Mitro.

IMO, Kamara and Kebano are best as impact subs off the bench.  I would however be looking to introduce them earlier than 10 or less minutes to play.

Twig

Quote from: filham on February 28, 2020, 09:49:02 PM
The hard fact is that Knock and Cave have not got the pace needed to go around and neither has  the full back on the outside and none of our right backs has the pace of Fredericks.
The best chance of us making the byeline is with Kamara, he should get more game time.

Not sure about that. I doubt there are many wingers quicker over 60 yards than Knock in the Championship?

jarv

The reason for inverted wingers is that when possesion is lost the winger is infield and can help defend any break away. However, if there are 2 good overlapping full backs it (usually) works well.

I do agree with other comments, they should switch it around a bit. Even decent park team do that.

Nero

The main point to this thread which seems to have been missed is the inverted wingers aren't doing anything of late so try something different to try and make us look like we will threaten the goal

filham

Quote from: FFC73 on February 28, 2020, 10:04:21 PM
Start with Cav & Knock but give them licence to swap flank to mix up the inverted & traditional wing play.  Keeps the defenders on their toes.  I'd also have Reid switching wide from his central position, switching with Cav & Knock in a more fluid attacking formation behind and in advance of a central Mitro.

IMO, Kamara and Kebano are best as impact subs off the bench.  I would however be looking to introduce them earlier than 10 or less minutes to play.
Totally agree. If we two can see this why can't Parker.

Statto

Quote from: jarv on February 29, 2020, 11:59:52 AM
The reason for inverted wingers is that when possesion is lost the winger is infield and can help defend any break away.

Ours seem to have the opposite effect. When we're not in possession, they're out wide, so are of minimal use defending any break away by the opposition. It's when (and only when) they're in possession that they cut inside, helping the opposition to defend our own break.

alfie

Quote from: Dodger53 on February 27, 2020, 08:58:08 AM
I thought they swopped a couple of times last night - am I wrong?
You are not wrong, it happens more than we think
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't