News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Scott Parker - Swap The Wingers So They Can Get To The By Line FFS!!

Started by Buzz_28, February 27, 2020, 08:34:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buzz_28

So FRUSTRATING!!

We have the best striker in the league & we have a left footer on the right side & a right footer on the left side.
All game they cut inside & either shoot / pass inside (again) or run it out of play trying to force a cross with their weak foot..

Abou comes on, gets it out of his feet whis a cross in & GOAL!!
Why o why doesn't SP swap the wingers over ! Get to that by line & whip it across goal!

theres a reason why Joe Bryan gets a lot of assists!

OH & Make the bloody substitutions earlier!!!!! 

Milo

ashteadFFC

Agreed - what happened to switching wings about during the game - rarely / never seems to happen with Knock and Cav.

Dodger53

I thought they swopped a couple of times last night - am I wrong?

bill taylors apprentice

It would be nice!

Whether you get to the by line and cross it or drive in on goal it frightens defences and pulls them out of their defensive positions.
Its always been the case in football that this tactic gets results yet we seem to ignore it over and over again.

Bill2

snarks

Knockhart played the same side for Brighton, as did Cav for Wolves. They are used to playing that way. We do need Denis and Bryan to overlap more though which I think is the bigger issue.

As for Subs, I think he got that right yesterday, we were very dominant and there appeared no need to change it until he did.

Matt10

Quote from: snarks on February 27, 2020, 12:49:53 PM
Knockhart played the same side for Brighton, as did Cav for Wolves. They are used to playing that way. We do need Denis and Bryan to overlap more though which I think is the bigger issue.

As for Subs, I think he got that right yesterday, we were very dominant and there appeared no need to change it until he did.

This is it right there. It is hard work to have inverted wingers without overlapping fullbacks. It's not about just getting to the endline. Slav's tactics weren't built on getting the wingers down the endline either, it was built to get the fullbacks to overlap and they are the ones who get to the endline. Last night, Odoi overlapped much more than he had the last two matches. This opens up not only the pass to overlap, but opens up the inside move for the winger to take a strike. Knockaert got an early shot on target that was well saved this way, and Cav got a shot off, that was deflected and barely made it over the bar.

Statto

Knockhart played the same side for Brighton, as did Cav for Wolves. They are used to playing that way.

Cavaliero played predominantly on the right in Wolves' promotion season and was most successful their.

snarks

Quote from: Statto on February 27, 2020, 02:18:49 PM
Knockhart played the same side for Brighton, as did Cav for Wolves. They are used to playing that way.

Cavaliero played predominantly on the right in Wolves' promotion season and was most successful their.

I thought Costa was on the right more.

I do know they swapped around but in any event, Cav has played that way a lot

Twig

Agree we should try swopping the wingers (or at least give them licence to swop during the game).

Not so sure about the criticism of the substitutions as we were so dominant.  Although having said that AK undeniable made a big difference.  Perhaps he should start against PNE?

Jims Dentist

Quote from: Buzz_28 on February 27, 2020, 08:34:26 AM
So FRUSTRATING!!

We have the best striker in the league & we have a left footer on the right side & a right footer on the left side.
All game they cut inside & either shoot / pass inside (again) or run it out of play trying to force a cross with their weak foot..

Abou comes on, gets it out of his feet whis a cross in & GOAL!!
Why o why doesn't SP swap the wingers over ! Get to that by line & whip it across goal!

theres a reason why Joe Bryan gets a lot of assists!

OH & Make the bloody substitutions earlier!!!!! 
So right Buzz, I have been banging this drum for many months.
You make a good point about Bryan.
I feel that it we had traditional wide men, not just Mitro but Reid in the 10 role would benefit.
SP just doesn't seem to see it and repeats the mistake week after week.

WindyCity

Certainly agree subbing much earlier.  Thought way too late v Swans and nearly cost us. 

Maidstone Lee

100% Agree! Inverted wingers makes us too narrow and inhibits our attacking play.

Worked for Sess, a left footer on the left who can get into space and put crosses in. I am sure Knockhaert would be far more effective on the left side.
Stand up if you still believe!
@LeeWarner19

Jim©

Definitely agree with this- when Bryan gets forward, we get dangerous crosses in. When he doesn't, the winger cuts inside and you have a less dangerous ball from a less dangerous angle. Mitro is great at attacking crosses from by line as it comes onto him. Balls whipped in diagonally after a winger has cut in always seem to be moving too quick for him to latch onto. It's physics (i think)!

Jims Dentist

By way of compromise, could we go with one normal wideman and one inverted.
(So long as Knocky is not the inverted one!)

Statto

Quote from: Jims Dentist on February 28, 2020, 06:01:57 PM
By way of compromise, could we go with one normal wideman and one inverted.
(So long as Knocky is not the inverted one!)

But Knockaert is the only one who has at least been successful elsewhere as an inverted winger.

Matt10

Inverted wingers are very common. If we don't use inverted wingers, we will become one-dimensional as it removes the inside move. Both Cav and Knock have scored goals from the inside move to their stronger foot. With that said, Cav has also socred with his weaker left foot from the right hand side. The key is we get our fullbacks to overlap to continue to open the other passing lanes and swap wings mid-match to keep defenders on their toes.

Also, Kamara didn't get his crosses in by running to the by-line. His crosses were closer to the top of the box and wasn't a result of beating the outside defender for pace. Bryan's crosses are also usually from not beating anyone to the by-line, but sending in crosses in earlier positions.

Lastly, I think Knockaert needs to stop crossing, and taking corners, overall. It's too hit or miss with him and most of the time his crosses are too high and float to the keeper.

Statto

Quote from: Matt10 on February 28, 2020, 06:48:00 PM
Inverted wingers are very common. If we don't use inverted wingers, we will become one-dimensional as it removes the inside move.

That cuts both ways though. Playing old fashioned wingers doesn't remove the inside move any more than playing inverted wingers removes the outside move.