https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Tuesday Fulham Stuff (16/11/10)...

Started by WhiteJC, November 16, 2010, 08:47:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=221517

Fulham - Bring Them On!
Next Saturday will have been a date that Mark Hughes will have marked in his diary once the fixture computer had dished out the fixtures.

Next Saturday, Mark Hughes will be greeting the very side, Manchester City, who showed him the door and appointed Roberto Mancini in his place.

Since being ousted, Mancini has spent an absolute fortune on players and although City are riding high in the Premier League table everything is far from being rosy in the Sky Blue garden.

Tales of unrest allied with a failure outscore in their last three home games has only served to increase the pressure on the Italian and, although we`ve no doubt that Mark Hughes has no intention of gloating, wouldn`t mind betting he`ll be having the odd chuckle or two to himself if he can roll City over next Saturday!

And do you know what, we just might do it!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=221517#ixzz15Qvmz7ry

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=221516

Fulham - Schwarzer on the Verge!
It seems to be an ongoing subject that considering its importance we`re obliged to continuing giving coverage to!

Last week we ran an update of how the contract negotiations between Fulham Football Club and Mark Schwarzer are going giving the indication that a deal looked to be on the horizon, thereby ending any talk of a move to Arsenal.

Following on from the 25th failure to win away from home albeit gaining a very creditable draw in the process up at Newcastle, Mark Hughes gave yet more indication that Mark Schwarzer will be saying when he delivered a barrage of comments covering the subject whilst also providing the perfect reference for our keeper, remarking,

"The saves he made today - that`s the quality of the keeper we`ve got and that`s why we`re working so hard to keep him here. If we`re going to be successful, we need a quality keeper and that`s certainly what Mark is."

"He knows what we provide and knows the environment very well. He`s not just got good players on the field of play, but a huge support staff behind him."

"He knows that the environment which has been created at Fulham is second to none. When you get to the latter stage of a career you have to be able to recover well and have all the up-to-date information in terms of recovery."

"What Mark has got is a real presence. With all the top keepers they have a presence and that permeates towards their team-mates."

All we await is official confirmation, from Craven Cottage, that pen has been put to paper and then this whole saga can be closed!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=221516#ixzz15Qw1FowN

WhiteJC

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=221521

Fulham - Three Months In!
So here we are. Three months into the season and we sit in 16th place in what is turning out to be a wildly unpredictable but close fought Premier League.

Obviously, no one connected to the club would be pleased to see the team lie just two places and one point of the drop zone but there is no need to panic yet.

Looking at all the reasons why the team haven't hit their stride yet and seem to be struggling is down to injuries. Losing Zamora has turned out to be even more of a blow than first thought. Not only have his goals been sorely missed, but his link up play and ability to lead the line has been lost. In further addition to this, Moussa Dembele seems a little lost at times playing up front without Zamora, which looked a very promising partnership. Other injuries have also hurt the team, such as losing Etuhu recently for a few games and now we have Salcido out for a lengthy period.

Mark Hughes has also yet to be able to find a regular, solid starting XI. One of the features of Hodgson's Fulham was a regular starting XI where consistency led to impressive results and a rock solid defence. It has seemed rare for Hughes to have the luxury of naming a consistent XI but he also seems unsure of what is his best side. Zoltan Gera seems to start one week and be a substitute the next, whilst three players have so far filled the right back slot.

Hughes is also trying to put his own stamp on the team and its style of play. Obviously this takes time to become cohesive and efficiently function. He seems keen to make the side slightly more offensive with subtle changes in Etuhu's play and encouraging the team to hit balls to the attack at a quicker pace. It seems no surprise that the team has conceded a few more goals than the previous two seasons as there seems to be less ethos on a rigid team shape and due to the previously mentioned lack of a consistent XI.

The worrying trend seems to be that this season is mirroring the beginning of Lawrie Sanchez's reign. Two things seem to be indicative of this. Firstly, Sanchez suffered the loss of his best striker in Brian McBride to a lengthy injury and the numerous amounts of draws being earned as opposed to wins masked over initial problems as they initially were enough to keep the team just above the drop. However, that was the Fulham of four years ago. Fulham currently have experienced, strong and talented players capable of putting together a series of good results to see our league position considerably improve. Whereas Sanchez lost McBride and turned to Shefki Kuqi, we instead can take solace in the return from injury of Andy Johnson and Diomansy Kamara. Whereas Sanchez imposed a strict long ball tactic, Hughes does seem to be mixing up the play.

There are plenty of reasons not to panic though. We have one of the best central defensive pairings in the league, Mark Schwarzer appears to be returning to top form, Hughes' tactics should be starting to get across and our upcoming home fixtures look like there is a possibility that Craven Cottage can return to being a fortress starting with a match that Hughes will need no motivation for. Oh, and we've surely got to win away from home at some point...

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=221521#ixzz15QwG8c00

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en/news/9/england/2010/11/15/2215121/fulham-manager-mark-hughes-confident-that-mark-schwarzer?

Fulham Manager Mark Hughes Confident That Mark Schwarzer Will Stay At The Club
The Australian keeper has been linked with a move to Arsenal

Fulham manager Mark Hughes is still hopeful that the club's keeper, Mark Schwarzer, will remain at Craven Cottage.

The Australian shot-stopper was in top form once again over the weekend, playing a vital part in Fulham's goalless draw with in-form Newcastle United.

Schwarzer's current contract runs out at the end of the season and after handing in a transfer request over the summer, many expect the 38-year-old to leave the west London club, though Hughes is hoping he will commit to a new deal.

"If we're going to be successful, we need a quality keeper and that's certainly what Mark is," Hughes told reporters.
"The saves he made - that's the quality of the keeper we've got and that's why we're working so hard to keep him here.

"He knows what we provide and knows the environment very well. He's not just got good players on the field of play, but a huge support staff behind him.

"He knows that the environment which has been created at Fulham is second to none.

"When you get to the latter stage of a career you have to be able to recover well and have all the up-to-date information in terms of recovery.

"What Mark has got is a real presence. With all the top keepers they have a presence and that permeates towards their team-mates."

WhiteJC

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/11/15/5379/

Still don't panic: mathematical proof!
Filed under: Analysis — rich 

We're in clear and present danger.   Or are we?

It's time for another montecarlo simulation (this time with charts!).

What?  Four charts:  what we should have expected from this season, what we should have expected after 13 games, what our current position means in terms of being relegated, and what's going to happen now.

Smallprint:  First I had to establish a proxy 'level' for Fulham.    To get this I used the last four seasons, weighting last season most important, with each season becoming less important the longer ago it was.   Then I added in Mark Hughes' club managerial record for a bit of something or other.   This gave me my baseline: we win 33% of games, draw 28% and lose 39%.   This 'level' equates to 47/48 points per season, which seems fair: it's two more than we ended up with last season and five less than the 7th place season.  Fair enough?

So I simulated 1,000 seasons using this as a baseline.  Why 1,000?  This gives things a chance to even out.   In any given season strange things can happen, but by simulating 1,000 you get an idea of what normalcy really is (a false situation of course, but it's exactly what we need for the purpose of this exercise).

A team of the quality I've set for us (48 pts in a season) would be most likely to have around 12-20 points by now (instead of 14).  19 is the most common points yield in my sims after 13 games.   So it could be better, it could be worse.  Given the injury issues we've had, and a managerial transition at the end of the summer, I don't think this is anything to worry about.

Taking this in reverse then, in the simulated seasons where at team 'as good as Fulham' ended up with 35 points or fewer, how many points did that team have at the 13 game stage?   Well, same answer really, but in reverse:  the sub-35 point seasons would expect to have between 7 and 11 points at this stage.  We're only just ahead of that, of course, but the main thing is that we are ahead.

Finally, what does the slow start mean?   Well, in the simulations where we had 14 points in 13 games, we still ended up with.... 47 points.  The chart below shows that while the start has been slow, if you're in the business of averaging just over a point a game (as we are, more or less), then 14 in 13 is nothing to get too down about.

Do I believe any of this?    Well yes, I do.    Any negativity around the club is largely a function of the lack of wins, but against that, we aren't losing either and have been without some of our better players.   The defence still seems as solid as ever after some early season vulnerability, Mark Schwarzer's mojo is restored, the midfield is finding its feet and doing a reasonable impression of the midfield of the last two seasons (let's get Duff forward though, eh?) and the forward line, while depleted, has more or less functioned (thanks to Clint's efforts filling in, and to Dembele's impressive start (yes, really – over the first 13 games of the season he's been fine, given that he's just arrived in the league – Wilkinson's tackle and advanced scouting reports might have slowed him down a bit, but the quality's there and he'll be a goodun).

The only way is up.  The maths and the man believe it to be so.  We could use a new player or two, a Zamora stand-in, a Salcido for the right, a genuine holding midfielder, but couldn't everyone?   Mark Hughes backs himself in the transfer market and I can understand why; I'm quietly confident that by the end of January we'll look like the decent, middle of the table side we are.  So yes, it could be better, but what we are seeing is, as the French say, normal.

WhiteJC

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=842972&sec=england&cc=5739

Wolves' Henry sorry for Zamora injury

Wolves midfielder Karl Henry has attempted to defend himself after coming under intense scrutiny for a series of full-blooded challenges.

Henry's tackle broke the leg of Fulham and England striker Bobby Zamora on September 11 but he was only booked for the challenge.
That, along with a full-blooded encounter with Newcastle and a challenge on Wigan's Jordi Gomez drew a straight red card, led to much criticism of both Henry and Wolves - something which the former Stoke player says he has taken to heart.

He told BBC Radio 5 Live: "I've doubted myself. I put on a game from about seven years ago. We played Nottingham Forest at Stoke and I put in plenty of tackles that day. I just wanted to check that my game has not altered. And my game hasn't altered at all - I've always put in lots of tackles, it's the way I've played and nothing's changed.

"In the Championship you see tackle after tackle and there's no problem with it. At this level there seems to be a problem with slightly mistimed tackles.

"The pace of the game is something that's a massive point. Players are so fast and so strong. People are so big, powerful and strong. Something that's slightly mistimed ends up with someone doing a flip and it looks so bad.

"It almost looks malicious and that's not the case a lot of the time. People have got to look past someone being flipped in the air or someone not winning the ball and see was it deliberate? Was it malicious? And a lot of the time it isn't."

He continued: "Sometimes (tackles) look a lot worse than they are and it's a difficult job for the referees to judge at the time: was that deliberate? Was it high? Could it cause some serious damage? You just don't know until after the game.

"The tackle at Fulham on Bobby Zamora, a lot of their players were happy with the tackle. It was only at half-time when they realised the severity of it that it becomes a huge issue."

"It wasn't until I watched it back that I realised how bad it did look and how bad it was," he said. I've apologised to the lads for that. I did let them down. I let the club and the supporters down that day."

He added: "Bobby Zamora will be sitting at home thinking he should be in the England team and rightly so because I've no doubt he would be and I've no doubt he will be when he gets back.

"I just hope he makes a speedy recovery and gets himself back to where he was because he's a top, top player."

Wolves were criticised heavily on TV following their August clash with Newcastle, which saw 12 players booked and finished with Joey Barton complaining about the treatment he received.

Henry said the criticism was "100%" unfair, and added: "There were so many tackles in that game from both parties. I think the neutrals would agree it was just a wholehearted performance from both teams.

"Joey Barton put in plenty of tackles himself - so did the rest of their players and so did we.

"(The TV pundits) just picked out a small portion of the tackles that went on in that game and decided to make it (seem like) a hate campaign on Joey Barton that day, which just wasn't the case."

WhiteJC

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1329894/Dale-Jennings-gets-Premier-League-billing-impressing-Tranmere.html?

Dale Jennings gets Premier League billing after impressing at Tranmere

A clutch of Premier League and Championship clubs are monitoring Tranmere whiz-kid Dale Jennings.

Scouts from Everton, West Bromwich Albion, Fulham, Sunderland and Watford all watched the 17-year-old score a wonder goal against Plymouth on Saturday.

Highly sought-after: Dale Jennings in action for Tranmere

Jennings only broke into Tranmere's first team this season but the cash-strapped League One side could be forced to sell in January if any of the clubs decide to follow up their interest.

Tranmere would be reluctant to lose him and may seek a deal where they retain the teenager on loan for the rest of the season.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1329894/Dale-Jennings-gets-Premier-League-billing-impressing-Tranmere.html#ixzz15QxkTSTu

WhiteJC

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2010/11/16/fulham-draw-was-a-huge-turn-off-61634-27663847/?

Fulham draw was a huge turn-off

YOU know what kind of match it was when the conversation post-match, among the gathered intelligentsia, is the trend for students to trim their toe nails in lectures, and the observation that Fulham's kit looked like it had been washed with non-fast coloureds.

If the Blackburn game was frustrating, then the Fulham game was as exciting as watching the Big Brother house with the volume off.

Did it cross your mind last Wednesday night, as yet another Blackburn player fell dramatically to the ground with a grievous grass stain, that could have been our regular weekly viewing if we'd kept Samino Allerdichay?

It made for pretty painful viewing, and not just the result. Can you imagine them being involved in the 39th game proposed by the Premier Greed?

We aren't exactly Brazilian, but we do try and play a bit. Sadly because of the finances involved, dull-eyed pragmatism trumps sporting expression. Even their own fans got the message.

There were more Sunderland supporters left in the stadium as our fifth rattled in than our last two opponents managed for the entire game. Surely our missing thousands can't use that as an excuse?

The talking point last Wednesday, of course, was Roberts' belting of Sideshow Bob and Samba ramming into Krul deliberately – what? You missed them? So did the referee.

I haven't much sympathy for Barton, despite being a target for the wind-up merchants.

Despite recent form and conformity, I wasn't surprised when he lashed out.

Congratulations to our very own bucking Bronco for his England call-up, thoroughly deserved.

Naturally this prompted 'stories' linking him with all clubs starting with the word 'Tottenham'.

They have apparently kindly offered to empty their treatment room and pop a cheque for 10 million in the post, to take the pony-tailed lothario off our hands.

Resist the temptation Andy lad, you'll still have to play Blackburn and Fulham, and it's a heck of a long way back to Nolan's house.

Read More http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2010/11/16/fulham-draw-was-a-huge-turn-off-61634-27663847/?#ixzz15QyGSIrs

WhiteJC

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2010/11/16/getting-younger/?

Getting younger
Filed under: General — rich 
In Saturday's game a recuperating Andy Johnson made six passes. I wasn't there, so I'm sure I missed the usual off-the-ball endeavor, but if you're that peripheral then you're a theoretical threat, not an actual threat.

On Wednesday we played the best team in the country on their own pitch. We gave a first league start to Matthew Briggs at left-back, and while Saloman Kalou got the better of him a few times, we only lost 1-0 and Briggs had nothing to do with that (better still, he saved a goal with a fine far-post intervention).

In Europe last year, before Roy was taking things super-seriously, Chris Baird helped Chris Smalling through a few tricky early games in which Smalling did a lot right, had the odd awkward moment, but showed enough that he got more games later on in the year, moved to Man Utd and is now in the England squad.

Alex Kacaniklic has been playing brilliantly for the development squad. What – I wonder – would we lose by giving him 15 minutes here and there in some of our games?

Marcello Trotta looks like a big lump up front. The Fulham website describes him: "A big and powerful striker with a natural eye for goal". He may be miles away from Premiership ready, but again, what might we lose out by letting him play occasionally? He's 18, he's strong, why not let him play? He could have run around at Newcastle, made six passes and looked busy. (I am fully aware that this is harsh on AJ, who's on his way back, but doesn't this just underscore the point; we'll use a half-fit player who can't get into the game ahead of a young, hungry player who might surprise us).

I will defend Eddie Johnson to the hilt but it seems fairly clear at this point that Eddie's not going to score many Premier League goals. If we acknowledge that older players aren't good enough, why not play younger players who aren't good enough instead? It will benefit the younger players and they might turn out to be perfectly usable after all. Barry Bannan didn't do too badly for Villa the other day. Marc Albrighton seems to be putting in a fair shift. Chelsea are letting Josh McEachran play.

Trotta was, I believe, at Man City before we pinched him. He was very highly regarded. Kacaniklic was at Liverpool, highly regarded. Lauri Dalla Valle is perhaps 15 years too late to be a star (if what we read about his style is correct), but again, a highly thought of talent (the best natural finisher since Fowler). Keanu Marsh-Brown is the same, and plays at right back where we could use a bit of help. Are these players less able than Albrighton? Than Bannan? Than McEachran? Possibly they are.

Possibly they need another couple of years. But possibly all they need is an opportunity (where would Chris Smalling be now had we not qualified for the Europa League?). There is an inherent conservatism in football. Games are so tight these days (look at the number of draws!) that you often see known mediocrities playing instead of young talents. It's a shame.

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2010/11/gatesys-weekend-roundup-5/

Gatesy's Weekend Roundup
by GATESY

Well, who'd have thunk it, another draw. However, given our recent record, the fact that we've not conceded a goal in our last four trips to the North-East while not scoring in seven trips it would have taken some guts to bet on anything else.

Some excellent saves from our big Aussie keeper and the Moose hitting the bar kept the game scoreless at the other St James Park. The centre back pairing of Hughes and Hangeland managed to allow Carroll little joy all afternoon, and with Barton suspended his usual supply line was unavailable too. All in all a good point earned, as all points on the road are. It just seems with a little something extra we'd be picking up three points from these games and be sitting pretty in the top half of the table.

We must always look up and never down, so if nothing else we're helping break records with 35% of Premier League matches ending as draws so far this season, which is an all time record. Wicked!

In some nice synchronicity from the fixture computer (this kinda thing makes me smile – yeah, I know...), while one West London club travelled to the North-East, the other North-East Club travelled to West London. Though they had somewhat more success than ourselves. In what has been suggested by many Blues fans as being their worst performance since the club was formed in 2003 they were taken apart by Sunderland 3-0. In form striker Gyan, along with Welbeck and Onuoha getting on the score sheet and thoroughly deserving the points after their nightmare trip to Fulham Broadway last season. The Black Cats looked lively from the off and the champions defence, without the injured Terry, seemed to struggle to keep them in check.

Man Yoo failed to take advantage of Sunderland's victory, though will feel quite pleased having come back from two goals down to draw against a Aston Villa side who were without nine players through illness and injury. The Villains hit the woodwork twice (making it six times in as many matches that they've hit the post) before Ashley Young put them ahead from the spot with Albrighton doubling their lead shortly after. Macheda and Vidic both scoring in the last 9 minutes to rescue a point and Man Yoo's unbeaten start to the season.

Another side that could have capitalised on that lot dropping points were Manchester City, though they could only manage a draw against visitors Birmingham. City visit us next week for Sky's Super Sunday fixture with Mancini gathering the same amount of points from City's opening 13 league fixtures as Sparky did for them last year. And we all know how that worked out. Four of Brums last ten games have finished 0-0 and this one was no different with them coming out and parking the bus in front of the goal for most of the game. Surely Hughesy wont put what may well be the final nail in the Mancini's, man who replaced him at City, coffin next week, will he?

Arsenal moved above Manchester United into second in the table after beating Everton 2-1 up at Goodison Park. Bacary Sagna scored his first Arsenal goal in 106 games in the first half with Fabregas doubling the lead in the second. After wasting several good chances to put themselves further ahead Cahill headed home a goal with two minutes remaining. His fourth goal in six meetings with the Gooners gave life to the home side, but the unusually steady looking Flapihandski managed to keep the blues at bay and see out the match. It's amazing how quickly stats can change. Before this game Everton would trumpet that they were unbeaten in seven games, whereas after the final whistle the talk was of one win in five attempts.

Off the pitch, Nicklas Bendtner has told Wenger that he wants to play regular football otherwise he'll pack his bags and head off in search of first team football.

"I'm 100 per cent good enough for the starting XI in Arsenal. I have the qualities and I've been sitting enough on the bench in my career.

"If my manager feels differently that's fair, and he's the one choosing the team, but then I disagree."

You may have noticed, shortly after saying this he was mysteriously dropped for the trip to Everton.

Liverpool proved those decent results were just a blip and got back to losing ways against Stoke on Saturday evening. Considering they usually pride themselves as being ultra loyal and fantastic fans, the Liverpool fans seem to have turned (even more so) on Uncle Roy, with numbers of them singing for Dalglish to return as gaffer.

"The fans can chant for whoever they want and it will be up to the club to decide what they want to do.

"There is nothing I can do about it and I can only continue to do the best job I can do under these circumstances."

Quite what they expect Uncle Roy to be doing with the dogs dinner of a club, and what Dalglish would do to better this is quite a mystery to me. Second half goals from Fuller and Jones was enough to see of the Reds, who finished with ten men after Lucas was given his marching orders.

Spurs picked up a comfortable win against Blackburn, only making it a bit more difficult for themselves near the end and letting Blackburn in with a sniff. Bestest player in the world, Gareth Bale, set up his first league goal since April and got on the score sheet himself. Givet and Dunn were on target for Big Sam's side, while the result sees Spuds move three points behind Man City.

Changes all round again for Blackpool as they frustrated West Ham and held them to a nil nil draw at Upton Park. West Ham will be far from happy with referee Kevin Friend who ignored calls for two first half penalties, though had chances they failed to make pay. Unsurprisingly Keiron Dyer was injured after 18 minutes, and is currently battling Owen Hargreaves for the title of 'Most Broken Human Being.'

"We need to improve, but we did good things and I believe that if we continue to do the right things, we will win games."

Said Grant after the game. I don't know whether to admire his optimism and cheery outlook, or pity his stupidity...

An inspired half time change by Wigan helped them collect the points against the Baggies. Victor Moses latching onto a N'Zogbia ball to do enough for the win. Elsewhere a fantastic goal from Elmander helped Bolton win away from home against Wolves. The striker, who's contract is up in the summer, scored the second of Wolves three before a Wolves comeback through Foley and Fletcher.

Up next for Fulham is Manchester City at 4pm on Sunday afternoon after a brief International break midweek.

WhiteJC

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2010/11/15/2215419/agent-refuses-to-comment-on-brede-hangelands-future-with

Agent refuses to comment on Brede Hangeland's future with Fulham defender linked with Arsenal, AC Milan and Juventus
Speculation mounts around Norwegian stopper

Fulham defender Brede Hangeland's agent, Rune Hauge, neither confirmed nor denied reports linking his client with moves to, Juventus and AC Milan when asked by Goal.com.

Talksport and Calcionews24.com reported on Monday that the Cottagers defender is being targeted by the Turin and Milan giants. Juventus are seeking reinforcements at the back, and Milan may strengthen in January.

However, when asked by Goal.com whether the reports were verifiable, the agent was giving nothing away on the player's Fulham future.

"Yes, I never comment on those things regardless," he said.

Arsenal are also said to be interested.

WhiteJC

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Stoke-want-to-save-Stephen-Ireland-from-his-Aston-Villa-nightmare-article630003.html

Stoke see an emerald in Villa outcast Ireland

Tony Pulis wants to take Stephen Ireland on loan in January – and save him from his Aston Villa nightmare.

Stoke boss Pulis tried to sign Ireland in June when Manchester City rejected his £7million bid, and the 24-year-old midfielder has since had a torrid time.

Villa manager Gerard Houllier has accused Ireland of not working hard enough.

But Pulis is keen on him with a view to a permanent £6m deal next summer.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-news-Stoke-want-to-save-Stephen-Ireland-from-his-Aston-Villa-nightmare-article630003.html#ixzz15R0Dljvd

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12876_6511022,00.html?

Kameni quiet on Prem links
Cameroon ace concentrating on club duties

Carlos Kameni has refused to comment on speculation again linking him with a move away from Espanyol.

The Cameroon goalkeeper has long been linked with a move to England, including in 2003 when he did not obtain a work permit for a switch to Wolves.

But since then he has established himself as one of the best keepers in Spain with Espanyol, and has over 60 international caps to his name.

The latest speculation in Spain has claimed that both Fulham and West Ham are closely monitoring his situation.

When quizzed about the possible interest, Kameni refused to go into any detail, telling local reporters: "Now I only think about my work, for training and not in other questions.

"The rumours are rumours, and I do not want extra pressure.

"The papers have praised my performances in the last few matches, but I do no need to demonstrate this as this is my mission each day."

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6511203,00.html?

Kelly - Cottagers close to win
Stopper encouraged by Fulham's latest stalemate

Defender Stephen Kelly insists Fulham are on the edge of their first away win of the season following their display at Newcastle.

Mark Hughes' side held the Magpies to a goalless Premier League draw at St James' Park on Saturday after an impressive performance, which saw star striker Andy Carroll denied on several occasions.

Kelly says the Cottagers should feel encouraged by the result, and believes his side are closing in on their maiden three points on the road this term.

Chances

"We had chances to win, and I do think we are getting closer - I don't think it's too far away," Kelly told Fulham's official website.

"We're certainly not negative in our approach away from the Cottage, we are creating opportunities and taking the game to teams.

"I think it was a very well organised performance from us and we never really let them play. They did have chances of their own, but that is to be expected when you play away from home."

The Cottagers have lost just two of their seven away league games this season, with their stalemate on Tyneside marking their fifth on the road.

But while happy with their point on Saturday, Kelly admits he would like Hughes' side to get a few more victories under their belt.

"Of course, it would be nice to turn a few of those draws into wins," he added.

"On another day we could well have stolen the points against Newcastle. Three points would have been great, but we have to be happy with the point that we did take.

"As always, we were extremely competitive and positive in the way that we approached the game. If we keep on like that, the signs suggest that it will only be a matter of time."

Fulham now head into two home games, against Manchester City on Sunday and Birmingham the following weekend, and Kelly views the Craven Cottage encounters as opportunities to make up some crucial points.

Test
"It's a good chance to pick up more points and get ourselves back in the top half of the table," said Kelly.

"Manchester City are a good side, and it will be a test for us because they have some fantastic players. But at Craven Cottage we are capable of beating teams of any calibre.

"We'll take the positives from the game at Newcastle, get our heads down and work hard in training. As always we will be prepared, and we will go out Sunday and show what we can do. Hopefully, it will be a case of all guns blazing for us."

WhiteJC

http://football.fanhouse.co.uk/2010/11/16/why-its-a-numbers-game-for-mark-hughes-and-roberto-mancini/

Why It's a Numbers Game for Mark Hughes and Roberto Mancini

Given the respective form of the two clubs, the meeting between Fulham and Manchester City looks like a racing cert to end in a draw at Craven Cottage on Sunday although the London club's manager Mark Hughes might be forgiven for having extra reason to put one over on his former employers.

When Manchester City's unpopular chief executive Garry Cook sacked Hughes as manager 11 months ago, he did so citing "the trajectory of recent results," describing how their former manager had fallen behind pace for the required target of 70 points by season end.

It is with a fair slice of irony, therefore, that Roberto Mancini, the man who had already agreed to become Hughes' successor while the Welshman was still in charge of the club for his final game against Sunderland, takes City to Fulham on Sunday with the following respective records, 13 games into the season:

City under Hughes: Played 13, Points 22, Goal difference +7
City under Mancini: Played 13, Points 22, Goal difference +5

Of course, it is fair to point out, that at this particular point last season, City had just drawn a seventh consecutive league game, a run which undid an impressive start to the campaign and which, ultimately, gave Cook the rope with which to hang his manager. Draws continue to plague Hughes. He has recorded eight in 13 league games for Fulham meaning that in his last 24 games as a Premier League manager, Hughes has drawn 16 of those matches.

But it is also worth pointing out that Hughes' next game after the 13th league match saw City beat Arsenal 3-0 and reach the Carling Cup semi-finals (Mancini has already exited that competition this season, at the first stage) and City's 14th league game last season? The small matter of a 2-1 home victory over Chelsea.

In other words, after 14 league games last season, Hughes had 25 points.

And, in other, other words, if Mancini fails to win on Sunday, he will have a worse record than Hughes did at the corresponding stage last season - at which point, incidentally, Hughes was 14 days from the sack.

None of which takes into account the debate raging among City fans at the moment about Mancini's style of play, his willingness - or lack of it - to play the kind of expansive football that might reasonably be expected of a squad assembled for the region of £320 million.

It does not take into account the fact that City had scored 25 goals after 13 games last season; as opposed to 15 this term.

But what those statistics do show is why Mancini should be under close scrutiny, if not intense pressure, for his performance as City manager. After all, if Hughes' "points trajectory" last season was so poor it moved the club to sack him, how is Mancini untouchable if, as is possible come Sunday, he has a worse mark than Hughes with well over a third of the season gone?

Although a little terse after the weekend stalemate against Birmingham, Mancini was defiant and appeared completely unmoved by the growing criticism of him outside of Eastlands.

As his number two David Platt put it on Saturday evening: "Listen, I have known him long enough and he goes on with his road. He's got his road, he's got his beliefs, philosophies about how you win things and win football matches.

"And when you look at what he has won in his career, it is not a bad road to be on, to be honest with you. And he follows that. He's always been single-minded to follow that.

"Firstly, I think the negative tag is a very easy line because he comes from Italy and it is easy to throw that at him. Secondly, we are not scoring enough goals there is no doubt about that, but if people think therefore that what you do about it is just throw three, four, five strikers on the pitch to try and score more goals that is not the answer. It just doesn't work. It's not an EA football computer game!"

Eminently sensible words but this is not an eminently sensible business. It was not an eminently sensible act to sack Hughes 12 months ago.

And, while he will be doing his best to downplay the inevitable hype in the build-up to Sunday's game, Hughes will surely appreciate the irony of the situation in which he and his successor now find themselves.

WhiteJC

http://1rico.wordpress.com/2010/11/16/neville-rates-us-fulham-to-keep-schwarzer-and-milan-keeping-tabs-on-nikki/?

Neville rates us, Fulham to keep Schwarzer and Milan keeping tabs on Nikki

Phil Neville reckons we are genuine title contenders after the match on Sunday. He suggests we have finally found a gritty side to our game and have learned how to win when the chips are down.

Everton skipper Neville said: "They seem a little more resilient now. They're always going to play fantastic football, that's never going to change.
"But at the end they were getting men behind the ball. You always fancy yourself to rough them up, but we couldn't do it and that's where they have improved.

Not that I really care what he thinks but it's always good to read positive stuff.

Mark Hughes wants to keep Schwarzer and he's confident the player will stay. Well as far as I'm concerned, that's good news as we don't need him, unless it's to be a 'coach signing' and 'use him if desperate' situation. Yes he's a good keeper by he's getting on and we have to look ahead, not back!

AC Milan are supposedly keeping tabs on Nikki, the Italian side believe that he's unsettled and should Nikki choose to give up the fight for his place in the side then they would be interested in signing him. Wenger though says there is no problem with Nikki and expects him to stay, at least until his contract expires and that's not for a few years yet, so best knuckle down Nikki and be a man, fight for your place. Who knows, it might turn him in to a better player.

Talking of players who want to leave their club, Adam Johnson is definitely getting restless at Manchester City, he's fed up with being a bit part player and would consider a move to get regular football. Go on Arsene, this is one player who would excite all Arsenal fans if you prized him away, I'm sure of that.

I found something out the other week which shows just how global Arsenal Football Club is. We know our club is supported by many from around the world who live in the 'ordinary world' but this fella is big in Qatar!
When I say big, I don't quite mean as in the Alisher Usmanov way but big as in the Sheikh way – he's the owner of Harrods and many other significant pieces of real estate and he's a Gooner...

The man I'm talking about is Emir Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani. (Hamad)

A few weeks ago, Hamad and his consort travelled to England and met up with the Queen of England no, not Julian Clarey, England's very own Queen Elizabeth. They were here on a three-day visit.
During the visit to England, and I think this is the real reason he popped over, he was presented with a gift, a very important gift that he couldn't get at Harrods for himself.

The Lord Major of London had the honor of presenting this gift and it was indeed an Arsenal shirt. Not any old Arsenal shirt though, it was signed by the first team and had 'HHT Emir' stamped on the back....

He was a happy man..... Just wish he was rich enough to buy us outright, if of course we are to be bought!

That's it for today, have a good one all....

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/November/BriggsFIrstTeam.aspx?

Briggs' Ambition

Having made his first league start in Fulham's match against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge last week, Academy graduate Matthew Briggs is now hoping to become more of a regular feature in Mark Hughes' starting eleven.

Over recent seasons Briggs has been a consistent performer in Billy McKinlay's development squad and those displays, along with his performances in training, convinced Mark Hughes that the youngster was ready for his maiden Premier League start.

"It's a massive leap for me," Briggs told fulhamfc.com. "I've got my foot in the door and I've got to keep it there now. I've just got to prove myself.

"From playing against Millwall reserves to playing against the Champions was a big step and the pace of the game was a lot quicker. Playing against the likes of Drogba and Kalou was a big challenge. The players all told me that I did well so I've got to take that on board and move on from there."

Briggs certainly showed no sign of being overawed by the occasion and, as he explained, the help and guidance he received from some of the more experienced members of the First Team played a key role.

"It was a massive night, it was my second start in the First Team," he explained. "The lads gave me a lot of confidence and allowed me to play my normal game. It felt amazing, obviously Chelsea are one of the biggest sides in the Premier League so to get my first Premier League start against them was great.

"The players talked to me the whole game and let me know where I should be and at what time. Having Duffer [Damien Duff] with me also helped a lot. My target now is to get as many games as I can this season and hopefully also get into the England Under-21 side."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/November/BriggsFIrstTeam.aspx?#ixzz15SP30tHo

WhiteJC

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/November/FairPlayLatest.aspx?

Fair Play Latest

The latest Barclays Premier League Fair Play tables have been released. The tables are compiled from marks awarded by The Premier League Match Delegates.

Fulham's fans currently sit in fifth position in the Behaviour of the Public table while the team is also fifth in the Fair Play League.

Behaviour of the Public

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2010/November/FairPlayLatest.aspx?#ixzz15SXgVgmx

WhiteJC

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/2703/3/kamara-hails-fulham-chief-and-targets-top-ten-finish?

Kamara hails Fulham chief and targets top ten finish

Fulham striker Diomansy Kamara admits the players worship Mohamed Al Fayed and is praying that he stays at Craven Cottage.

Al Fayed has transformed the club following his arrival back in 1997 and has helped them cement their place in the Premier League.

After reaching the Europa League Final last season, Kamara sees no reason why they cannot challenge in the top half of the table.

Kamara knows the importance of Al Fayed staying at the west London club and hopes they can challenge for major silverware in the near future.

Kamara said: "Al Fayed has done an amazing job for Fulham and we worship him.

"He is fantastic and I do not know where the club would be without him. In ten years we have gone from the Second Division to the Europa League Final. We have done unimaginable things.

"Our objective is to stay in the top ten."

WhiteJC

http://sport.virginmedia.com/football/article/2010/11/16/matt_making_most_of_massive_leap?

Matt making most of massive leap

Matthew Briggs is determined to take advantage of the "massive leap" forward in his Fulham career following his full Barclays Premier League debut in the west London derby.

Full-back Briggs, 19, impressed in last week's 1-0 defeat at Chelsea and despite finding himself back on the bench for Saturday's goalless draw at Newcastle, he was encouraged.

"It's a massive leap for me," he told his club's official website. "I've got my foot in the door and I've got to keep it there now. I've just got to prove myself.

"From playing against Millwall reserves to playing against the champions was a big step and the pace of the game was a lot quicker.

"Playing against the likes of (Didier) Drogba and (Salomon) Kalou was a big challenge. The players all told me that I did well so I've got to take that on board and move on from there."