News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Could the current league table be the final league table?

Started by Slaphead in Qatar, March 13, 2020, 11:56:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slaphead in Qatar

lomotd

I doubt this as then the bottom three of the premier league would be relegated. Bournemouth are only in the relegation zone on goal difference and Villa have a game in hand. They would fight and surely sue if they were to be automatically relegated.

Carborundum

It could be the final table and will be if this goes on for months.  But I'm fairly sure no Premier League team is going to accept relegation without a legal battle as they are arguably entitled to a full season's games.  No promotion or an expanded Premier League next year seem candidate outcomes.

Here's hoping none of that happens and the situation allows a timely resumption.

Twig

There's no absolutely fair way to settle things if it proves that the season is sadly over.  I certainly wouldn't want to be one of those trying to arrive at a solution. I would think hefty legal fees are just about the only certainty!

SuffolkWhite

I wonder if the drawing of lots to complete all fixtures in all leagues would be possible if you cant play the games but need a resolution?
Guy goes into the doctor's.
"Doc, I've got a cricket ball stuck up my backside
"How's that?"
"Don't you start"

Wolf

Totally agree that the monster of litigation looms over any decision. I think the only equitable way is to resume the season when it is perceived to be safe to do so, even if that pushes 2020/21 season back by months.
Hates: the Hounslow maggots

lomotd

Quote from: Wolf on March 13, 2020, 02:56:15 PM
Totally agree that the monster of litigation looms over any decision. I think the only equitable way is to resume the season when it is perceived to be safe to do so, even if that pushes 2020/21 season back by months.

With the 2022 World Cup happening in winter and already affecting the club season dates in 2022 there may be a clever way to fit everything in with things being delayed.

RaySmith

As said, this would be way too open to litigation and  vigorous protest.

I reckon behind closed doors  will be the way forward, unless  it's decided to play them as normal after April - but this seems unlikely.

Otherwise, voiding the season seems more and more likely, but could also led to protests.
Or continuing whenever this can happen - next season even?

ChesterTheTabby

If you cannot continue the season, and they cannot find a way to finish the season without cause too much spillover for the next season(s) when this epidemic is arrested... top 3 promoted and bottom 3 relegated. To this point they've shown that they're good enough or not. It's not fair in comparison to previous seasons, but that's life, and this is unprecedented. No one being promoted and no one being relegated is also not a "fair option"
Someone once asked me, "Why Fulham?".
My response, "Well, lad, you just haven't seen the light yet"

Motspur Park

I think that regardless of when football resumes, the season ending should finish. I think the play offs should be scrapped and straight forward 3 up an 3 down except L2 which I believe has 4 up and down. Short break and then begin the next season.

davew

Quote from: Slaphead in Qatar on March 13, 2020, 11:56:30 AM
And we get the third promotion spot?
NO CHANCE, sorry about the capitals! No idea what will happen or any suggestion on what would be fair as there doesn´t seem to be a practical solution. Wearing rose tinted glasses, yes we should be given the 3rd promotion spot, but come on that won´t happen nor should it!
Grandson of a Former Director of FFC (served 1954 - 1968)