watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

If this season is cancelled

Started by Jimsbeerbelly, April 08, 2020, 01:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimsbeerbelly

Would you be happy for Fulham to donate the remainder of your ST money to the NHS?

ByTheRiver

Quote from: Jimsbeerbelly on April 08, 2020, 01:34:24 AM
Would you be happy for Fulham to donate the remainder of your ST money to the NHS?

With all due respect, the NHS is not a charity. It really grates when I see (well meaning, I know you mean well!) stuff like this and 'let's do a Live Aid for the NHS'. Lots and lots of money is gathered for it in taxes, its just that the government elected for the last 10 years chose to spend it in other places and have cut, every single year, the budgets (500m in my wife's area alone in the last two years).

So, whilst I have made a vow to myself not to mention politics on here anymore (I fear I am in the minority in terms of leaning, anyway), use of public funds cannot be put down to anything else.

Another option would be to pay a tiny bit more tax each. Across all taxation levels (and corporate tax and so on). Which I would be more than happy with. I think a Netflix analogy works here: would you want Netflix for half price if it only had old episodes of Mrs Browns Boys on and the connectivity/buffering was poor? Or would it be worth paying that couple of quid extra (literally) for better content and connectivity?

Oddly enough, that exact plan was on the table in December... Fund it properly. Have a health service we can be proud of again.

filham

Agree with By The River.
The NHS has been underfunded for years. 1p on income tax for the last five years for the NHS and hospitals would be in a much  better condition to handle the present crisis.
But be careful we are being political.

Andy S

Yes I totally agree.everyone gets ill at some time and requires the NHS let's protect it

snarks

I'd be happy for the money to go to the Fulham foundation. I agree with everything by the river said with regards to funding the nhs.

fulhamben

I would have been happy to, but having found out that we have furloughed non playing staff whilst our players are still getting paid, I'll have my money back please
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Statto

Quote from: ByTheRiver on April 08, 2020, 10:24:48 AM
Lots and lots of money is gathered for it in taxes, its just that the government elected for the last 10 years chose to spend it in other places and have cut, every single year, the budgets

I'm keen to learn more about these cuts. Would you care to share the figures for the department of health's annual budget ten years ago versus today?

ByTheRiver

Quote from: fulhamben on April 08, 2020, 12:20:36 PM
I would have been happy to, but having found out that we have furloughed non playing staff whilst our players are still getting paid, I'll have my money back please

Has this been confirmed now then? Oh bloody hell, Fulham. You're better than this :(

ByTheRiver

Quote from: Statto on April 08, 2020, 12:24:54 PM
Lots and lots of money is gathered for it in taxes, its just that the government elected for the last 10 years chose to spend it in other places and have cut, every single year, the budgets

I'm keen to learn more about these cuts. Would you care to share the figures for the department of health's annual budget ten years ago versus today?

Statto, yes I could. My wife works in a very senior positon there are multiple emails and so on with the actual budget reductions to be made year on year and what plans need to be put in place to try and deliver the same (or as near as humaly possible) service, only with next to no money. The irony being the time/money this then takes up to try and desperately put plans together, close hospitals, see patients at home, cut staffing levels, etc, etc, etc.

I'm sure you will no doubt find some piece of jiggery pokery online data showing the annal DoH budget being the same/higher (clearly not taking into account the rise in population and a million other things). This stuff exists, of course it does, for people that prioritse paying less tax above all and everyone else. It helps them sleep at night. But I can promise you, the cuts are very VERY real. That's not an opinion or a stance, that is just me letting you know the truth.

Anyway, you want to find out - nip out to a hospital or a GP surgery. Try to get an appontment. See how long it takes. This isn't down to immigration or lazy workers, or Brexit, or whatever other political smokescreen used that month, it is simply down to less resources, less staff, less money.

Where the additional nurses are going to come from when we are now charging them 9k to train, for the honour of risking their lives to save us, I don't know... Anyway, that's a whole different story. But please, believe me on this, whatever leaning you have, severe and debilitating cuts have been happening to the NHS. The only possible positive we can take from all of this is it has raised awareness (in a horrible) way of the situation and that we could (really quite easily) do a lot better.

I love the NHS. I think it is probably our greatest achievement and something that makes me immensely proud to be British. Let's fight for it ad lets give it the support it needs to support all of us.

fulhamben

Quote from: ByTheRiver on April 08, 2020, 12:27:39 PM

Has this been confirmed now then? Oh bloody hell, Fulham. You're better than this :(
only saw a evening standard article that did say that Parker and Ali Mac have taken pay cuts as well.
CHRIS MARTIN IS SO BAD,  WE NOW PRAISE HIM FOR MAKING A RUN.

Twig

If (and as far as I am aware it's if) this is true, then I'm rather saddened.

Statto

Quote from: ByTheRiver on April 08, 2020, 12:39:03 PM

Statto, yes I could. My wife works in a very senior positon there are multiple emails and so on with the actual budget reductions to be made year on year and what plans need to be put in place to try and deliver the same (or as near as humaly possible) service, only with next to no money. The irony being the time/money this then takes up to try and desperately put plans together, close hospitals, see patients at home, cut staffing levels, etc, etc, etc.

I'm sure you will no doubt find some piece of jiggery pokery online data showing the annal DoH budget being the same/higher (clearly not taking into account the rise in population and a million other things). This stuff exists, of course it does, for people that prioritse paying less tax above all and everyone else. It helps them sleep at night. But I can promise you, the cuts are very VERY real. That's not an opinion or a stance, that is just me letting you know the truth.

Anyway, you want to find out - nip out to a hospital or a GP surgery. Try to get an appontment. See how long it takes. This isn't down to immigration or lazy workers, or Brexit, or whatever other political smokescreen used that month, it is simply down to less resources, less staff, less money.

Where the additional nurses are going to come from when we are now charging them 9k to train, for the honour of risking their lives to save us, I don't know... Anyway, that's a whole different story. But please, believe me on this, whatever leaning you have, severe and debilitating cuts have been happening to the NHS. The only possible positive we can take from all of this is it has raised awareness (in a horrible) way of the situation and that we could (really quite easily) do a lot better.

I love the NHS. I think it is probably our greatest achievement and something that makes me immensely proud to be British. Let's fight for it ad lets give it the support it needs to support all of us.

Given this sort of thing is publicly available, surely there's some way of finding the numbers online, rather than having to visit a hospital or ask someone's wife. I'm just looking for two simple figures, eg saying that its budget was £118 billion in 2010/11 and £145 billion in 2020/21, something like that...

ALG01

if the season was stopped and I am totally against that....

I would want a full refund for those tickets and paossibly the whole season because that is what i paid for. the games played would have all been pointless if there is no proper conclusion. it would be like seeing a film or play and told tyou cannot see the last 20 minutes.

Further,
i do not accept any emotional blackmail such as donating to the NHS or other worthy body. Not because they are unworthy but because this type of emotinal blackmail is all to prevalent nowadays and there are vasts numbers of organisations and people that need our support.

The originl post unfortunately implies an answer nd that cannot be a good thing

And finally my tax is supposed to fund the NHS and the forces and the welfare of the services that get injured in the line of duty, it is not right w have to pay twice. I suggest that that Google, amazon and other mega orgniastions are encouraged to pay a fair and reasonable amont of tax for the money they earn here rather than be allowed to hide it in tax havens!

But I do not want the season to stop.

ByTheRiver

Quote from: Statto on April 08, 2020, 02:24:30 PM
Quote from: ByTheRiver on April 08, 2020, 12:39:03 PM

Given this sort of thing is publicly available, surely there's some way of finding the numbers online, rather than having to visit a hospital or ask someone's wife. I'm just looking for two simple figures, eg saying that its budget was £118 billion in 2010/11 and £145 billion in 2020/21, something like that...

I think we both know, that you know (you are far too intelligent not to), there is a little bit more to it than that. And yes, I'm sure it is publicly available. Have a look on a Trust by Trust and year-on-year basis within each Trust if you genuinely are interested and want to find some accurate figures.

If, as I suspect, you are not and just wish to play it down, then that is also fine. I was replying to a thread politely pointing out that the National Health Service is exactly that and not a charity. It doesn't need donations, it needs to be properly funded. All the time. Ongoing. Beyond that, I am only passing on information I have see with my own two eyes for 15 or so years now.

Woolly Mammoth

Quote from: ALG01 on April 08, 2020, 02:33:47 PM
if the season was stopped and I am totally against that....

I would want a full refund for those tickets and paossibly the whole season because that is what i paid for. the games played would have all been pointless if there is no proper conclusion. it would be like seeing a film or play and told tyou cannot see the last 20 minutes.

Further,
i do not accept any emotional blackmail such as donating to the NHS or other worthy body. Not because they are unworthy but because this type of emotinal blackmail is all to prevalent nowadays and there are vasts numbers of organisations and people that need our support.

The originl post unfortunately implies an answer nd that cannot be a good thing

And finally my tax is supposed to fund the NHS and the forces and the welfare of the services that get injured in the line of duty, it is not right w have to pay twice. I suggest that that Google, amazon and other mega orgniastions are encouraged to pay a fair and reasonable amont of tax for the money they earn here rather than be allowed to hide it in tax havens!

But I do not want the season to stop.

I agree with your statement, but with 9 matches left I just cannot see how they are going to be fitted in as well as all the other practical reasons why It will not be able to take place.
Even the start of the new season is under threat.
But due to the current circumstances we find ourselves in the season will have to be closed down indefinitely, although with the unfinished business will be fuelling the Football Associations to burn the midnight oil for a solution.
Its not the man in the fight, it's the fight in the man.  🐘

Never forget your Roots.

mrmicawbers

Quote from: snarks on April 08, 2020, 12:00:41 PM
I'd be happy for the money to go to the Fulham foundation. I agree with everything by the river said with regards to funding the nhs.
I asked for my Fulham TV monthly money to go to the Fulham Charity haven't heard back though.

ffcwickford

Fulham Foundation as the NHS gets funded centrally bt the Government

keithh