https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Dwindling love of the game

Started by Tempest, May 01, 2020, 08:40:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bog

Quote from: rebel on May 01, 2020, 12:19:23 PM
Quote from: bog on May 01, 2020, 12:03:57 PM
Fortunately away from all  those in danger or really suffering I do miss my Fulham football. However, becoming 75 next week I am more concerned over when, pre-vaccine, I will feel safe to go down the Cottage once again. 

But what I miss the most is the hugging of my 8 year old twin granddaughters. That longing pushes football well out of the way.

092.gif 

Happy Birthday for next week; Just in case I miss it.

Thanks Rebel. Was two days before the end of the war. How lucky was I?

Southcoastffc

I'm only interested in Fulham and the league in which they play, be it Championship, Prem, League 1, whatever.  I have zero interest in the England team and, in general, think there's far too much football on tv. I'll continue to go to the Cottage as long as I'm able - including the game and a pre match meal with friends/family it's currently an 8-10 hour round trip. I don't even try to put a financial cost to it, but it's worth it.
The world is made up of electrons, protons, neurons, possibly muons and, definitely, morons.

rebel

Quote from: bog on May 01, 2020, 01:16:16 PM
Fortunately away from all  those in danger or really suffering I do miss my Fulham football. However, becoming 75 next week I am more concerned over when, pre-vaccine, I will feel safe to go down the Cottage once again. 

But what I miss the most is the hugging of my 8 year old twin granddaughters. That longing pushes football well out of the way.

092.gif 

That's cool. I really need to build a 'time machine', PDQ because 'the clock' really is ticking.

bog

Quote from: rebel on May 01, 2020, 01:39:59 PM
Quote from: bog on May 01, 2020, 01:16:16 PM

092.gif 

That's cool. I really need to build a 'time machine', PDQ because 'the clock' really is ticking.

And the older you get it ticks much faster!

somerset cockernee

I unfortunately fell out of love with the game many years ago. If I wasn't a Fulham supporter I wouldn't even watch a single game, it bores me unless Fulham are involved. I'm from an era when tackling and physical contact was normal but that has been replaced with......well you know where I'm going with this.

Fulham 442

Quote from: sarnian on May 01, 2020, 01:01:50 PM
Quote from: gang on May 01, 2020, 10:51:23 AM
One good thing is my bank balance has gone up no flights or fares to worry about.

That's the only consolation but I do miss the football. Costs my wife and I about £8k plus season tickets. :54:
Wow that's dedication.  Where are you based?

sarnian

Quote from: Fulham 442 on May 01, 2020, 07:09:19 PM
One good thing is my bank balance has gone up no flights or fares to worry about.

That's the only consolation but I do miss the football. Costs my wife and I about £8k plus season tickets.

Guernsey. We have been season ticket holders since we moved back from Loftus Road. Only miss  home games if on holiday or because of bad weather. Also means staying at a hotel overnight for evening games.

Plodder

When there is a return to some form of normality, I shall try to watch more local and amateur sport. I often get more enjoyment out of watching my local rugby union, cricket and football teams play than I do from watching Fulham and the professional game, particularly if the match involves family members or friends.  It is partly an age thing, but while I acknowledge and respect the fitness and skill levels of professional players, I find myself less enthused and excited about the game they are playing as professionals, especially football.

Slaphead in Qatar

Can only really focus during Fulham games these days - thankfully I can see them out here on Fulham TV .

Can't seem to sit through a premier league or champions league game these days.

England team I'm more interested these days since Gareth got them playing well.

rebel

I don't mind watching women's football, much improved and lots of quality. Some could play in the Prem (I know you're shocked).

Twig

Just to add to my previous post; one other thing to dislike about football is the resurgence of racism, homophobia and extreme nationalism. Obviously most noticeable in several other countries in Europe and Sth America but there have also been worrying incidents in the UK of late.

I completely stopped going to football in the late 70's and 80's when violence and thuggery infected the game, I would hate to see a return of all that.

Fulham 442

Quote from: sarnian on May 01, 2020, 08:02:39 PM
Quote from: Fulham 442 on May 01, 2020, 07:09:19 PM

That's the only consolation but I do miss the football. Costs my wife and I about £8k plus season tickets.

Guernsey. We have been season ticket holders since we moved back from Loftus Road. Only miss  home games if on holiday or because of bad weather. Also means staying at a hotel overnight for evening games.
Brilliant.  Especially given the last season we had in the EPL!

SG

Fulham is my team and has been for 60 plus years. Still get a thrill walking down Finlay St or walking through the park and seeing the ground. Can't wait to get back to the Cottage for a game.
Have little interest in the Premier league or England matches nowadays. Don't even bother with CL. I try to follow the lower EFL and National leagues although coverage of these is disgracefully sparse.
Am missing the cricket season like mad🏏

Statto

Quote from: Twig on May 02, 2020, 10:20:57 AM
Just to add to my previous post; one other thing to dislike about football is the resurgence of racism, homophobia and extreme nationalism.

This statement would more accurately reflect reality if you replaced "resurgence of" with "lower-than-ever actual levels of, but increased sensitivity to and reporting of,"

Russianrob

Fulham are a Religion, unfortunately l have to worship from afar.

Lighthouse

Nostalgia isn't what it was. Yes I think we remember the good old days of standing on weed ridden terraces and having a connection to the team. The game seems less physical than it was. Less enjoyable and dominated by the Prem and television. The International side is no longer 'our' side but a bunch of millionaires I care little about and struggle to name or which club they play for.

But I miss the Fulham experience, the build up, the never again and the way fans see the game and the team so very differently. Life without Fulham or football or whatever sport you happen to enjoy is clearly a little dull. Losing yourself in things outside of your control is no fun when it could leads to death, illness or bankruptcy. But when it is sport or film or music or any entertainment it is worth every wasted minute. Life isn't so much about being better than it was. Just about being something that helps us forget about every bone crushing dull bit of it. Life is for forgetting about and Fulham and sport and entertainment helps with that.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Fulham 442

Quote from: Lighthouse on May 02, 2020, 04:47:20 PM
Nostalgia isn't what it was. Yes I think we remember the good old days of standing on weed ridden terraces and having a connection to the team. The game seems less physical than it was. Less enjoyable and dominated by the Prem and television. The International side is no longer 'our' side but a bunch of millionaires I care little about and struggle to name or which club they play for.

But I miss the Fulham experience, the build up, the never again and the way fans see the game and the team so very differently. Life without Fulham or football or whatever sport you happen to enjoy is clearly a little dull. Losing yourself in things outside of your control is no fun when it could leads to death, illness or bankruptcy. But when it is sport or film or music or any entertainment it is worth every wasted minute. Life isn't so much about being better than it was. Just about being something that helps us forget about every bone crushing dull bit of it. Life is for forgetting about and Fulham and sport and entertainment helps with that.
What a brilliant post.

Whitesideup

Quote from: Statto on May 02, 2020, 03:17:20 PM
Just to add to my previous post; one other thing to dislike about football is the resurgence of racism, homophobia and extreme nationalism.

This statement would more accurately reflect reality if you replaced "resurgence of" with "lower-than-ever actual levels of, but increased sensitivity to and reporting of,"
For me it's not "football" in itself that is the issue, but some of the people attending the games, so it's a social issue, a reflection of trends in our society. And frankly I have seen very little, in fact next to none, of it at Fulham. (I don't count the haranguing of Frank Lampard as "a fat bastard" as a) he clearly wasn't fat, and b) he also saw the funny side of it.)

To Statto's point I think you could add that in fact there may be a polarization and a growth of extreme behaviour and views, but in fact there are many more open and fair-minded people around. Older people today are (I believe) generally (note .. generally) more tolerant than they were in the past, but this does not make news.

Whitesideup

And to reply to the topic, no, still find the game absorbing. Tend to follow the division Fulham are in more than others, but still love MoTD.  Admire the standard of today's football .. the pace and technique ... it's unfair and pointless to compare standards across generations, but the standard is higher than it has ever been.

Frustration at Fulham's inconsistency - well, yes, but what makes football such a good game is that the best team does not always win, that it is hard to sustain top level performance throughout a game, and moments can determine outcomes.

Yes, the downside is play-acting and conning the ref. But the games are generally still pretty good. Don't forget 3 points for the win was introduced to try and end the number of boring draws as teams settled for half of the points.

Twig

Quote from: Statto on May 02, 2020, 03:17:20 PM

Complete and utter nonsense.